Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Burrow

Got A Season Ticket

Rob is being awarded an MBE in the New Year's honours for his fundraising. Well deserved

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Didn't want to start a thread just to put a link on.
    But bad news for Stevie Ward. I didn't know concussion caused so many lasting symptoms.
    https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...to-concussions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Didn't want to start a thread just to put a link on.
    But bad news for Stevie Ward. I didn't know concussion caused so many lasting symptoms.
    https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...to-concussions
    Sad to see and I'm certain he won't be the last but I'm not sure what else we can do to mitigate concussion.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Sad to see and I'm certain he won't be the last but I'm not sure what else we can do to mitigate concussion.
    The referees should be instructed to protect players from high shots rather than allowing the game to “flow”. We saw too many high shots including the odd shoulder charge to the head last season.

We can’t protect against heads hitting the ground or other player’s bodies following fair tackles and I doubt that protection can be offered against concussion that results from sudden impact and the brain rattling around in the skull. I think low tackling has been suggested in Union and that might be good because for a lot of players it’s harder to execute and might allow openings for attack. Referees putting a halt to high shots, however, is a must because failure to enforce the rule might justify future legal action.

Only Stevie Ward knows the effect of the injuries he has suffered but I think that he’s done the right thing for himself and his family. It’s sad for him but he’s had the sense to realise some things are more important than sport and even a career.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The referees should be instructed to protect players from high shots rather than allowing the game to “flow”. We saw too many high shots including the odd shoulder charge to the head last season.

We can’t protect against heads hitting the ground or other player’s bodies following fair tackles and I doubt that protection can be offered against concussion that results from sudden impact and the brain rattling around in the skull. I think low tackling has been suggested in Union and that might be good because for a lot of players it’s harder to execute and might allow openings for attack. Referees putting a halt to high shots, however, is a must because failure to enforce the rule might justify future legal action.

Only Stevie Ward knows the effect of the injuries he has suffered but I think that he’s done the right thing for himself and his family. It’s sad for him but he’s had the sense to realise some things are more important than sport and even a career.
    Yeah, I kind of knew this would be the answer and I agree.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post

The referees are certainly the start point. Maybe they are instructed to let the game flow, but a different instruction and a few sendings off might clean the game up. As you say in such a physical sport there will always be some unavoidable accidental hits to the head. But in the last couple of games alone, we saw so many going in with the shoulder or direct to the head. When I played I was always in favour of the hard tackles and few hits when the ref wasn't looking, but these guys now are so much fitter, more muscled and heavier than we ever were. A different game

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

The head tackle has been addressed in the past, I seem to recollect 8 match bans in the past. The trouble with RFL/SL addressing problems/rule changes is that they are too soon forgotten. Maybe a threat of legal action against the ruling body may concentrate their minds.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

The number of head-high tackles should in theory decrease this season after the retirement of Shirley Temple.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    The head tackle has been addressed in the past, I seem to recollect 8 match bans in the past. The trouble with RFL/SL addressing problems/rule changes is that they are too soon forgotten. Maybe a threat of legal action against the ruling body may concentrate their minds.
    Yes we will see a clampdown in the first week or so, with a player from a lower club (or a key saints player) copping 8 matches for head contact, after which it will be open season for head shots and shoulder charges.

Added to this every wire player in need of substitution will fall down like an Italian striker clutching their head.

I think in the context it's right that high shots should be punished more strongly, but I'm not sure it'll make all that much of a difference as far as concussion is concerned. I can't remember that many instances of high shots leading to concussion in my time watching the game (except in the case of shoulder charges, which have been cracked down upon already). It's almost always the result of an innocuous collision - a clash of heads or a mistimed tackle. I know that in my playing days I had two bad concussions ... one from an accidental clash of heads with a teammate in a tackle and one from getting my head in the wrong place when tackling a much bigger player than me round the legs. From high tackles I've only ever had a fat lip or a bloody nose.

I think unless it plans to go non-contact the sport has to accept that concussions will happen - IMO the important thing is how seriously those concussions are taken when they do happen. Stevie Ward is right, too, about the need for there to be proper, specific research carried out.

In The South Stand

I rewatched the Saints Catalans game (the semi final) and it really was a "head shot fest". Disgraceful, a couple from Saints but the Dragons were really at it, awful. The problem is that the commentary team talk as if it's a macho thing and all in the game. It isn't, its dangerous and it's not tough. Straight red for me. May spoil a few matches but player welfare should trump that argument.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I rewatched the Saints Catalans game (the semi final) and it really was a "head shot fest". Disgraceful, a couple from Saints but the Dragons were really at it, awful. The problem is that the commentary team talk as if it's a macho thing and all in the game. It isn't, its dangerous and it's not tough. Straight red for me. May spoil a few matches but player welfare should trump that argument.
    I think the fact that the disciplinary panel is full of ex-players is a problem, since they will tend to look at challenges in the context of ‘in my day’ we copped much worse etc.

Maybe we need a medical person on the panel to comment on the potential harm that a challenge can do and hand out bans accordingly.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I think the fact that the disciplinary panel is full of ex-players is a problem, since they will tend to look at challenges in the context of ‘in my day’ we copped much worse etc.

Maybe we need a medical person on the panel to comment on the potential harm that a challenge can do and hand out bans accordingly.
    Also we should set longer bans for repeat offenders,1st offence 2 games,2nd 4 games,3rd 6 games ect ect.