Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    I understand that we have high level but what did the last total lockdown actually achieve, if 3months down the line we are in the same position.it was supposed to buy time to get testing and tracking in place, instead it was used to line the pockets of Tory friends.

If you believe the figures of £10bilion on the testing and track and trace, how far would that money have gone in improving the hospitals, care homes etc,but that would have been for the good of the plebs not the Tory friends.
    The government have been too lenient with the public expecting them to behave themselves and stick rigid to the guidelines, all the partying in the streets and university resident halls is not one you want to see.

Also the testing, track and trace is still just symbolic to say we carry out more testing than any country in Europe, if the track and trace is not fit for purpose then its all futile.

Andy Burnham is getting on my wick now, he moaned for months that we were not quick enough to apply lockdown in the first wave, now the government is applying a quicker second wave regional lockdown he is moaning and mounting a legal challenge as though he is putting financiality a priority over fatality.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th October 2020 at 12:02.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The government have been too lenient with the public expecting them to behave themselves and stick rigid to the guidelines, all the partying in the streets and university resident halls is not one you want to see.

Also the testing, track and trace is still just symbolic to say we carry out more testing than any country in Europe, if the track and trace is not fit for purpose then its all futile.

Andy Burnham is getting on my wick now, he moaned for months that we were not quick enough to apply lockdown in the first wave, now the government is applying a quicker second wave regional lockdown he is moaning and appealing in the courts as though he is putting financiality a priority over fatality.

the VE Day street parties were a joke (but I guess appealed to the pathetic streak of nationalism that the Leave shysters had so much success exploiting)

As for Burnham, isn't his argument that the Government needs to 1) apply measures equally and fairly; and b) compensate affected businesses properly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The other LCR authorities have the number in the 300's. Warrington and West Lancs local authorities also have cases in the 300's but are to be excluded. It's just lazy to say "all the LCR is to go into tier 3" whilst ignoring Warrington & West Lancs (or perhaps it's not laziness and it's something else - one of the Warrington MP's and the West Lancs MP are Tories)
    Neither West Lancs or Warrington are in the Liverpool City Region.

It's Merseyside plus Halton

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

I know that. My point is that there seems to have been a lazy "Oh, Liverpool and Knowsley have high infection rates so we'll lockdown all the Liverpool City Region" which affects boroughs like St Helens, Halton, Sefton, Wirral (all in the 300's rate), yet doesn't impact the boroughs neighbouring the LCR like Warrington & West Lancs, who also have rates in the 300's.

I've adhered to all the preventative measures like masks, distancing, etc (and been frustrated at the arseholes who refuse) and can understand the pub thing (I've been past pubs at chucking-out time and there've been a few dozen ••••heads all mingling closely, many of whom will continue drinking at houses). But I doubt I'll follow a travel ban that wouldn't let me go to the neighbouring area that has a similar infection rate.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I know that. My point is that there seems to have been a lazy "Oh, Liverpool and Knowsley have high infection rates so we'll lockdown all the Liverpool City Region" which affects boroughs like St Helens, Halton, Sefton, Wirral (all in the 300's rate), yet doesn't impact the boroughs neighbouring the LCR like Warrington & West Lancs, who also have rates in the 300's.

I've adhered to all the preventative measures like masks, distancing, etc (and been frustrated at the arseholes who refuse) and can understand the pub thing (I've been past pubs at chucking-out time and there've been a few dozen ••••heads all mingling closely, many of whom will continue drinking at houses). But I doubt I'll follow a travel ban that wouldn't let me go to the neighbouring area that has a similar infection rate.
    Apologies, I see what you mean..

You're right, and I think this is the first time I've seen the LCR used as a geographical area, surely a better measures would be council area.

What if St Helens really reduces it's number, but is dragged down by its neighbours - you're quite right

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I know that. My point is that there seems to have been a lazy "Oh, Liverpool and Knowsley have high infection rates so we'll lockdown all the Liverpool City Region" which affects boroughs like St Helens, Halton, Sefton, Wirral (all in the 300's rate), yet doesn't impact the boroughs neighbouring the LCR like Warrington & West Lancs, who also have rates in the 300's...
    I guess is a case of how 'local' can you go?
    I don't know what the local government structure is like in St Helens, or if it would be practical to divide them out from the LCR in this case, but, when you think about it, they're all imaginary lines drawn on the map.
    Seems to me that they have gone for an obvious 'defined' region with some sort of overseeing local authority control.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

the VE Day street parties were a joke (but I guess appealed to the pathetic streak of nationalism that the Leave shysters had so much success exploiting)

As for Burnham, isn't his argument that the Government needs to 1) apply measures equally and fairly; and b) compensate affected businesses properly
    Burnham is obviously putting his local economy at the expense of virus spread and deaths, the street parties in the city are a disgrace. We know what a legal challenge entails in a delay of lockdown, in the meantime the virus spreads further out of control, the hospitals start filling up and NHS staff are at further risks of fatality. The problem we have now is this public "I'm alright Jack" complacency attitude and I can see this going on for at least another year.

Banned

Worth noting that back in those days, there wasn't a Scouse accent - or at least nothing as pronounced as now. It was apparently very similar to the SW Lancashire accent, albeit with a little more Welsh influence. When the big Irish immigration happened in the 19th century, the merging of the two accents produced a milder Scouse accent. Listen to the accents of the 50's and 60's (in fact, listen to the accents of the Beatles back then) and it's a far softer accent with still traces of Lancashire mixed in. In north Liverpool/Bootle, where there was a heavier concentration of Irish descendants, the accent was harsher/thicker. It's only when 'Scousedom' became a popular thing that people would amplify the harshness of their accent to be more Scouse. This was especially prevalent in the new-town estates in places like Skem, Runcorn, Winsford, Kirkby, Maghull, Huyton, Prescot, Whiston, etc that were built to house Liverpool people moved out during wholesale slum clearance programmes. The people who moved there - and especially their kids - would amplify their Scouse accents to 'prove' their Scouseness. And that is where we are now, with the phlegm-ridden harsh accent.
    I know I have a bit of a twang but it really winds me up those little pricks that put the accent on like it's something to proud of, talking like Stuart Pyke with a chest infection and walking round with their hands down their pants.

In The South Stand

I've always struggled to get in any way animated on this topic. I just don't think it's important whatsoever what the wider area/region is called.
    It annoys me because it would have been so easy to create new local authorities but to keep the Lancashire name. I’m a Lancastrian not a Merseysider.

In The South Stand

Worth noting that back in those days, there wasn't a Scouse accent - or at least nothing as pronounced as now. It was apparently very similar to the SW Lancashire accent, albeit with a little more Welsh influence. When the big Irish immigration happened in the 19th century, the merging of the two accents produced a milder Scouse accent. Listen to the accents of the 50's and 60's (in fact, listen to the accents of the Beatles back then) and it's a far softer accent with still traces of Lancashire mixed in. In north Liverpool/Bootle, where there was a heavier concentration of Irish descendants, the accent was harsher/thicker. It's only when 'Scousedom' became a popular thing that people would amplify the harshness of their accent to be more Scouse. This was especially prevalent in the new-town estates in places like Skem, Runcorn, Winsford, Kirkby, Maghull, Huyton, Prescot, Whiston, etc that were built to house Liverpool people moved out during wholesale slum clearance programmes. The people who moved there - and especially their kids - would amplify their Scouse accents to 'prove' their Scouseness. And that is where we are now, with the phlegm-ridden harsh accent.
    I remember visiting family friends in suburban Liverpool when I was a child and their accents were South Lancashire rather than modern day Scouse.

Starting A Programme Collection

Interesting social history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

WL, Warrington, Chester & areas of Flintshire are in a group of target areas that LCR would like to join up. Not yet but a lot of political pressure is on the cards. Apparently Rotheram has a target population that he wants to amalgamate, firstly for his own CV I suppose but then it gives him critical mass for bargaining & investment is his position. I don't want it for sure.

https://liverpoolexpress.co.uk/joint...l-authorities/

Joint statement from the leaders of all of the LCR local authorities.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The alternative explanation (the one I was always told) was that it comes from the coalmen who'd deliver coal to Liverpool on carts, from the neighbouring mining towns. To give some protection when carrying the sacks, they'd wear sheepskin fleeces over their shoulders (fur on the inside)

As for the Liverpool City Region, the first moves towards this were made in the late 00's. The aim of regional mayors heading a collective of local authorities was to try to move away from local authorities scrapping between each other to only look after their own interests, and rather work together for a 'common good' for the wider area. They were formally brought in during the 10's, and the government of the day offered small bungs to local authorities to sign-up to city-regions, and the city regions got some devolved powers. And let's face it, given the size of Liverpool, it dominates the area anyway. The LCR concept at least imposes a requirement to give each of the 6 local authority members an equal right and say - something that without the LCR wouldn't happen.

Saying that, the LCR concept is working against us for these new Covid restrictions. Liverpool and Knowsley both have cases above 600 per 100,000. The other LCR authorities have the number in the 300's. Warrington and West Lancs local authorities also have cases in the 300's but are to be excluded. It's just lazy to say "all the LCR is to go into tier 3" whilst ignoring Warrington & West Lancs (or perhaps it's not laziness and it's something else - one of the Warrington MP's and the West Lancs MP are Tories)
    That was my understanding of the term Woolyback.
    I quite like Liverpool as a city, but hate St Helens being associated with them address wise. I could never understand how Warrington and Wigan both on the Mersey did not get Merseyside and we did.. I wouldn't expect the council to complain as they now have authority over approx 180 k People instead of approx 110.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    That was my understanding of the term Woolyback.
    I quite like Liverpool as a city, but hate St Helens being associated with them address wise. I could never understand how Warrington and Wigan both on the Mersey did not get Merseyside and we did.. I wouldn't expect the council to complain as they now have authority over approx 180 k People instead of approx 110.

Presume you mean Widnes?

Pieland isn't on the River Mersey. It has that stinky-brook running through it, which they rather grandly call a river.

Agree about Widnes should have been in Merseyside (with Runcorn) and Warrington, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    https://liverpoolexpress.co.uk/joint...l-authorities/

Joint statement from the leaders of all of the LCR local authorities.
    It doesn't give a trigger time or date. It needs to be explicit, typical of local gov not to make things perfectly clear in their briefing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    It doesn't give a trigger time or date. It needs to be explicit, typical of local gov not to make things perfectly clear in their briefing.

??

It's a statement prior to the government announcements of the lockdown restrictions that the government will impose. It is the government who will announce the time/date.

The statement is intended to bring attention to how let-down the people of this region are being by the government imposing these restrictions without the level of financial assistance package that is necessary to stop economic devastation.

??

It's a statement prior to the government announcements of the lockdown restrictions that the government will impose. It is the government who will announce the time/date.

The statement is intended to bring attention to how let-down the people of this region are being by the government imposing these restrictions without the level of financial assistance package that is necessary to stop economic devastation.
    Could not of put it better. The Government statement is to be given by Boris at 3-30 this afternoon.

Banned

Presume you mean Widnes?

Pieland isn't on the River Mersey. It has that stinky-brook running through it, which they rather grandly call a river.

Agree about Widnes should have been in Merseyside (with Runcorn) and Warrington, too.
    I think Webbo it came from the south side of the Mersey always being in Cheshire. So they lumped both sides in on one stretch inc Widnes and Warrington but gave Merseyside the Wirral ang Gtr Manchester Stockport. Yarkshire untouched.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Presume you mean Widnes?

I did mean Widnes. My wife is American and she says we have too many towns beginning with W

??

Ok I understand thx

Could not of put it better. The Government statement is to be given by Boris at 3-30 this afternoon.
    Just seen it thx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I did mean Widnes. My wife is American and she says we have too many towns beginning with W
    My sympathies

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Just seen it thx

No probs mate.

Banned

Thanks for posting the link, Jackbit