Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sean Long

In The South Stand

Looks like Widnes are doing an open call for applications. You dont often see this as generally clubs have got people in mind as to who they want.
    https://widnesvikings.co.uk/job-vacancy-head-coach/

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    This is my view. It hurt me to turn on Cunningham and want him to relinquish the role of Head Coach when I was desperate for him to do well. I have the same feelings for Wellens and it would be gutting if it didn’t work.
    I get where you and Belgian are coming from but sooner or later we may need to take a chance on one of our own former players. We can’t simply say we don’t want a former hero as coach because we may turn on them.

In The South Stand

If there’s no room for Long on our coaching team, I’d sooner see him in charge at Widnes than as assistant at Leeds.

Starting A Programme Collection

No idea but it's naive if he doesn't. There's an old saying, You don't know what you don't know. It means you have to keep looking fir opportunities and lines of development to stay ahead of the curve else it becomes monkey see monkey do. As you say there's massive opportunities. He supports ManCity doesn't he? Wonder if he's tried to get in there to see what goes on behind the scenes. Guardiola certainly would have things in his locker to help a young coach for sure. All young coaches should be doing this as a matter of routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    No idea but it's naive if he doesn't. There's an old saying, You don't know what you don't know. It means you have to keep looking fir opportunities and lines of development to stay ahead of the curve else it becomes monkey see monkey do. As you say there's massive opportunities. He supports ManCity doesn't he? Wonder if he's tried to get in there to see what goes on behind the scenes. Guardiola certainly would have things in his locker to help a young coach for sure. All young coaches should be doing this as a matter of routine.

Oddly enough that's where the Widnes Vikings Analyst Jamie Elkahleh (Tim Sheen's former assistant coach) has gone. Now on the coaching staff at Manchester City.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Oddly enough that's where the Widnes Vikings Analyst Jamie Elkahleh (Tim Sheen's former assistant coach) has gone. Now on the coaching staff at Manchester City.
    There might be a way in then, maybe he's already doing stuff like this we're only speculating after all.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Long was also a coach at saints during the cunningham era, so I'd reserve judgement as to his coaching methods and style. The best players don't always make it as top coaches.

He could be excellent but I assume he would need to prove his coaching cv to get the top job.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Long was also a coach at saints during the cunningham era, so I'd reserve judgement as to his coaching methods and style. The best players don't always make it as top coaches.

He could be excellent but I assume he would need to prove his coaching cv to get the top job.
    To be honest Cunningham made him defence coach which was as much use as a chocolate teapot, once Holbrook put him into the attacking coaching role our attacking shape was phenomenal. Cunningham should have known that with the good attacking play that Longy set up at Salford, so you could ask the question could he have seen Longy in perhaps pinching some of the limelight.

There is a nice piece somewhere from Longy on how he developed Fages whilst he was a teenager, he also mentioned Richardson and the pressure put on him by the fans and media to compare him with Longy himself. I hope Longy does get that Widnes job and then use that as a stepping stone to be a super league coach, when that happens I would imagine there will be a couple of clubs will see him as a future coach with that maverick manner taken out of him.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 16th October 2020 at 09:19.

I am sure that I will be shot down by everyone, but it I don't want Sean Long back here as a coach. I don't even want him at Widnes. He was a great player, yes. But that does not make him a great coach. And he caused enough problems, in his playing days, for me not to want him near young impressionable players. I was never happier than when he slung his hook off to yawnion. The only RL club he is good for, in my unfashionable opinion, is his home club, the pies!

Let the disagreements commence...............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Looks like Widnes are doing an open call for applications. You dont often see this as generally clubs have got people in mind as to who they want.
    https://widnesvikings.co.uk/job-vacancy-head-coach/
    I presume many on here will be applying since they appear to know all there is about team selections and tactics

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    I am sure that I will be shot down by everyone, but it I don't want Sean Long back here as a coach. I don't even want him at Widnes. He was a great player, yes. But that does not make him a great coach. And he caused enough problems, in his playing days, for me not to want him near young impressionable players. I was never happier than when he slung his hook off to yawnion. The only RL club he is good for, in my unfashionable opinion, is his home club, the pies!

I agree with your post that you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Everyone has an opinion
    Even you.
    Even me.

Banned

Everyone has an opinion
    Even you.
    Even me.
    I know, it's just mine's generally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Your far better off fishing in water, bellend.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    He may be doing a great job so let’s get rid of him anyway. That’s brilliant.

For info, Marshall is very highly regarded within the game and is an astute coach. It’s not all about the big names.

Never said he may be doing a great job, I said I didn't know what his input was. What I do know, with long as the attack coach we were brilliant.
    Try not to be selective when replying to other people's posts.

Banned

Thats very judgemental to say the least. Basically you’re suggesting people cant change and are damned by their past misdemeanours.
    Heres a hint, Brian Clough won back to back European cups with so-called trouble makers. I wonder what had changed to enable that? Likewise there is similar in some of the Shaun Wane stories in his podcast. But hey why not just point the finger, judge and close the mind.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Agree

No thank you, twice is/was enough

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Agree

POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK. WASNT HE A YOUNGSTER YOU LIKED. POOR PLAYER.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Agree

I doubt there's much chance of him going back to the rent boys as he hates you lot as much as we do.

Got A Season Ticket

I think the Sean Long of his playing days you would be 100% correct about. However though I can’t for certain, you’d like to think he’d have grown up a bit since then. I also can’t imagine Holbrook keeping him about if he still the tool word has it he was.

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    I think the Sean Long of his playing days you would be 100% correct about. However though I can’t for certain, you’d like to think he’d have grown up a bit since then. I also can’t imagine Holbrook keeping him about if he still the tool word has it he was.
    A good point, well made!
    Holbrook's judgment is difficult to question.

Default Sean Long

While I think palmorr’s post is way OTT, it’s true that Long has yet to prove that he has the necessary professionalism to take on the responsibility of a head coach job. I wouldn’t want his first go at it to be with Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I.m almost sure Longy and Lolesi were head coaches of Saints for 2 or 3 games before Holbrook arrived and Holbrook didn't have much to do because the entertaining open play style had already started by Longy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    While I think palmorr’s post is way OTT, it’s true that Long has yet to prove that he has the necessary professionalism to take on the responsibility of a head coach job. I wouldn’t want his first go at it to be with Saints.
    I thought he seemed to have grown up, when at Saints. The only concern was Gustard's comment about Longy's "infectious personality". Which could be seen as a positive or the fact that he still a bit of a clown, I would still like to see him back in some capacity. I suppose Hull may be an option? Though they are doing Ok today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought he seemed to have grown up, when at Saints. The only concern was Gustard's comment about Longy's "infectious personality". Which could be seen as a positive or the fact that he still a bit of a clown, I would still like to see him back in some capacity. I suppose Hull may be an option? Though they are doing Ok today.
    I wonder what happy Darryl's excuse will be this week? The posts were a different shade of white? The ph content of the soil on the pitch? High tide in Hull?