Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sean Long

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Here we are top of the league by 5.7% and folk want the coach out ��

...... and a game in hand!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

I think most of us would just like Longy back in some capacity.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    What Richard Marshal brings to the team I have no idea, he may be doing a good job, or not but I would prefer Longy in that role. If Marshal could be persuaded to go for the Widnes job and bring Longy in would be great
    Which is exactly why fans should have no say in how a club is run... "he might be really good at his job but I want him replaced anyway"

I don't know why people want to rush it. Like several said when Cunningham was appointed, coaching Saints isn't a proving ground, it's one of the top positions the sport in this country has to offer. Whether he comes recommended by Millward and Anderson 15-20 years ago or not, head coach here would be a big step up from what he's done previously.

He's still young and there's plenty of time for him to coach Saints when he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think most of us would just like Longy back in some capacity.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Which is exactly why fans should have no say in how a club is run... "he might be really good at his job but I want him replaced anyway"

I don't know why people want to rush it. Like several said when Cunningham was appointed, coaching Saints isn't a proving ground, it's one of the top positions the sport in this country has to offer. Whether he comes recommended by Millward and Anderson 15-20 years ago or not, head coach here would be a big step up from what he's done previously.

He's still young and there's plenty of time for him to coach Saints when he's ready.
    This

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Banned

Interesting thought though! Long you went to Quinn's on mega money compared to his Saints salary. I get in those circles you need a better income stream. However Widnes are now a part time operation run on a very tight margins. What would Sean earn at Widnes 40K perhaps at best. Just maybe the Quinn's has not worked for both parties and a compromise agreement has been done and dusted.

I think Wolfe is doing OK and if he thinks his assistant needs to move on that is in his gift with Marshall. I don't yearn for Longy has head coach at Saints. In time to come if you wanted a leader with a passionate assistant I would look at Scully as the leader with Wello the day to day workhorse.

Default Sean Long

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    I'm not sure under what circumstances Long left the Saints but it would be great to see him back. What Richard Marshal brings to the team I have no idea, he may be doing a good job, or not but I would prefer Longy in that role. If Marshal could be persuaded to go for the Widnes job and bring Longy in would be great, that is if Saints could match/beat the renumeration being offered at Widnes and the promise of further promotion say within 3 or 4 years.
    He may be doing a great job so let’s get rid of him anyway. That’s brilliant.

For info, Marshall is very highly regarded within the game and is an astute coach. It’s not all about the big names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We seem to have done quite well with Richard Marshall around.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Interesting thought though! Long you went to Quinn's on mega money compared to his Saints salary. I get in those circles you need a better income stream. However Widnes are now a part time operation run on a very tight margins. What would Sean earn at Widnes 40K perhaps at best. Just maybe the Quinn's has not worked for both parties and a compromise agreement has been done and dusted.

I think Wolfe is doing OK and if he thinks his assistant needs to move on that is in his gift with Marshall. I don't yearn for Longy has head coach at Saints. In time to come if you wanted a leader with a passionate assistant I would look at Scully as the leader with Wello the day to day workhorse.
    Scully mentioned in a podcast couple of years back that he wasn't interested in being a head coach his ambitions was to be an ambassador for the sport instead of being tied down to one club. Longy-Marshall-Wellens could be a decent combination all feeding off each other, when Cunningham was in charge he isolated his assistants and ended up sat alone with those blinkers on the top of his head during match day.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

For info, Marshall is very highly regarded within the game and is an astute coach. It’s not all about the big names.

Don't forget this is a forum that regularly has a thread mocking Wire fans for having a go at their coach.

Let's replace a coach that has beaten Australia & a respected understudy with a talented maverick.

I assume we couldn't afford Longy in an assistant role now & what a gamble it would be to give him the top job.

In The South Stand

Long to Widnes (rumour 1.) to get head coach experience = good.

Long to Leeds (rumour 2.) as assistant = bad.

Would prefer him at Saints in some capacity rather than with a rival but times are tough and finances probably tight.

P.S. I still think our attack was better with him on board.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 9th October 2020 at 09:40. Reason: PS

Banned

Wow rumour 2 Long to Leeds. I would be totally shocked if they would want him. Leeds have two very big egos at the helm. Agar suits the agenda, fall guy if needed and carrying out the wishes of Kev and double glazed if it all goes well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Don't forget this is a forum that regularly has a thread mocking Wire fans for having a go at their coach.

Let's replace a coach that has beaten Australia & a respected understudy with a talented maverick.

I assume we couldn't afford Longy in an assistant role now & what a gamble it would be to give him the top job.
    I think most are thinking of Longy when Woolf finishes his contract and not with immediate effect. Since lockdown Woolf for me has done a good job in difficult circumstances in more ways than one.

Back to Longy, perhaps we should not think a maverick player will be a maverick coach, he comes across fairly mature these days in his game thinking and could be more technical similar to Millward. I hope he does get the Widnes job to use that as a stepping stone to a top club, his previous input to Salford and Saints has very much been a positive one despite Cunningham making him defence coach until Holbrook made him attack coach.

His interest in the Saints head coach position was one of bad timing with so many Oz assistant coaches being available but even then we didn't get our first choice. Woolf was given a very tough job on all fronts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    We seem to have done quite well with Richard Marshall around.
    I have no problem with us having a large coaching staff as long as they all know their roles. Marshall, Wello, Longy, Scully (I don't think he coaches atm), but all good RL brains, all get what the club is about.

Banned

To throw some additional light on Marshall. Halifax where always scratching around for money and he took part time players into the top four twice. About 7 Championship clubs one of those seasons had a big core of full time players.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

We also had an offer from Joynt to coach for free after KC finished until we got a new coach. That was turned down by E Mc
    Long, Wello, Joynt.

Banned

Hope he goes to Warrington.

Agent Long.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It's a great thing that we have loads of ex-players that we love and want to remain part of the club. Personally I'd love Wellens to be Saints coach one day, it would feel right and I would trust him to know exactly what the fans wanted from the team. Long is the same to a slightly lesser extent, he gets us and would look at the game from an old-school half backs mentality.

But... do we want these lads to jump into the lions cage before they're ready? Wellens, Long, Joynt, etc don't have their statue outside the ground. The fella outside the ground is the one who we thought understood us more than anyone, our biggest icon, our talisman, the King, whatever else you want to call him. And some people have forgotten his outstanding contributions to the club because he was a dud as a coach. I don't want that to happen to anyone else, and so if we want to go down that road again I'd prefer it to be for one of our ex-players that's had time in another job first. Are Long, Wellens or anyone else going to be a sure-fire ready made developed coach in a year when Woolfe (we assume) leaves? Tough call. Maybe that generation is two steps away from the big job, not the one step that some assume.

Starting A Programme Collection

I watched the quins vs wasps game on bt and longy wasn't in the coaching box then and I thought that was odd.

I'm sure he is an excellent attack coach (even though kc appointed him defence coach didn't he??) and millward said he had a superb brain for attacking rugby but as a head coach I'm not sure he'd do well.

He would be a great assistant for the national team so maybe he will end up there

On a side note Gleeson is wasps attack coach and they are playing some brilliant stuff, another one to keep an eye on

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't think anyone has said they want him out, but what's the likelihood he will stay beyond his contract? I think most people are saying they would like Longy back in some capacity, or as a head coach later, probably after gaining experience elsewhere. I think it is obvious to all that our attack has been stunted since he left.

Learning All The Songs

Yet not a single person on this thread has said that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    We also had an offer from Joynt to coach for free after KC finished until we got a new coach. That was turned down by E Mc
    Long, Wello, Joynt.
    I could never understand not utilising Joynt. I don't know what type of coach he would have made, but I think he would have been great for the dressing room, and the players would come in having left nothing out on the pitch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's a great thing that we have loads of ex-players that we love and want to remain part of the club. Personally I'd love Wellens to be Saints coach one day, it would feel right and I would trust him to know exactly what the fans wanted from the team. Long is the same to a slightly lesser extent, he gets us and would look at the game from an old-school half backs mentality.

But... do we want these lads to jump into the lions cage before they're ready? Wellens, Long, Joynt, etc don't have their statue outside the ground. The fella outside the ground is the one who we thought understood us more than anyone, our biggest icon, our talisman, the King, whatever else you want to call him. And some people have forgotten his outstanding contributions to the club because he was a dud as a coach. I don't want that to happen to anyone else, and so if we want to go down that road again I'd prefer it to be for one of our ex-players that's had time in another job first. Are Long, Wellens or anyone else going to be a sure-fire ready made developed coach in a year when Woolfe (we assume) leaves? Tough call. Maybe that generation is two steps away from the big job, not the one step that some assume.
    I absolutely agree, if we're going down that route again the person needs to be as ready as they can possibly be. All are getting good experience at the moment but I don't think any are ready at present.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Me too. He’s doing things the right way by getting experience under his belt, unlike KC.

The Widnes job would be ideal as a stepping stone to the Saints job once Woolf naffs off.

Not sure I get the experience argument. Cunningham failed miserably because he was clearly a crap coach who thought plodders like Owens and Lee were good enough for Saints. A couple of years at a championship team before taking the job here wouldn’t have changed that and I doubt he would of learned anything he hadn’t already learned in his playing career and whilst assistant coach. I don’t see what a couple of years at Widnes would do for Long either, he’s been assistant coach of a team that eventually went on and p*ssed a Grand Final. Either he’ll be a successful head coach or he won’t.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I could never understand not utilising Joynt. I don't know what type of coach he would have made, but I think he would have been great for the dressing room, and the players would come in having left nothing out on the pitch.
    I couldn't understand either