Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Wakefield

Learning All The Songs

Absolutely awful, never heard such nonsense about Wakefield playing well they were sh*te, pathetic club who offer nothing to super league. As for us, it’s time to bin Fages off and Lees needs loaning out until he bulks up. Taia and Walmsley both stunk the place out as well.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Hampshire kicking us to death. We have 2 HB's neither of them can kick. As Lomax is the more skilful of the two I would stand Fages down next week and put Dodd in. We are desperate for a last tackle kicker.
    It's not as if many posters haven't noticed it. We're blunt as a butter knife without badging over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    You shitting me? The single worst performance I have ever seen.
    Comfortable win, Wakefield didn’t even get within a point by the end.

Seriously, awful performance really. We attempted to play rugby about half a dozen times and had joy, but for the most part we kicked badly, made mistakes, made bad decisions, etc. But everyone can see that so no point raising it all really.

Got A Season Ticket

You shitting me? The single worst performance I have ever seen.
    I meant for that one play

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    I suppose in a way, and I'm saying what most fans already know, it shows just what a great team we are. We play crap but still win. Lets hope the pies and wire now knock the shit out of each other
    There’s nothing great about us this season, too many games against crap teams are becoming dog fights. We won’t get away it in the semi finals.

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

How did Wood get MOM?
    He wasn't even the best hooker on the pitch, never mind best player!

Banned

So we don’t need a coach then. It’s all the players. Bring them in and get on with it.
    That's a child-like statement but I'll answer it.

The execution in the first half was so poor that any sort of game plan that the coach prepared would have been binned off and replaced by an instruction to get back to basics: start respecting the ball, executing with more accuracy and getting the ball into territory. That's effectively what we did at the start of the second half and had to do on the back of gifting possession and territory to Wakefield in the first half. There are times when the worst thing to do is play out of trouble by chucking the ball around when the timing and execution just was'nt there at all. Probability alone says that that will just create more mistakes; more so as the simple and daft mistakes had energised Wakefield.

Where I was more interested was about 55-60 mins into that second half when Saints had possession inside the Wakefield twenty. On many sets, they burned two or three tackles in my opinion by cycling the ball predictably through a maximum of two hands with a reliance on individual ability to muscle in followed by a predictable shift the ball wide for the second rower to take an inside ball and crab in. That was bad enough but Fages was stood like a subbuteo player when he received the ball and the rest of the players stacked wide were as equally static quite a few times. Its only on the last two tackle's that the ball was shipped with any real movement. Its this area where tonight looks less of a 'bad day' and it needs to change because the likes of Price have that covered most days of the week. Its like we seem happy to go with beating more moderate teams by 10 through percentages then trying to open up. Its not exactly working either. We nearly lost to Hull KR, were beaten by Huddersfield and ran close tonight

Finally it would be churlish to take anything away from Wakefield. They played excellently with the ball and in defense; sometimes the opposition step up and overachieve you have to acknowledge that. Its sport and it happens.

Learning All The Songs

The only tactic Woolf has is to bring Walmsley back on, Lomax is being wasted for most of the games stood at Centre.

Learning All The Songs

Hampshire kicking us to death. We have 2 HB's neither of them can kick. As Lomax is the more skilful of the two I would stand Fages down next week and put Dodd in. We are desperate for a last tackle kicker.

Said for a long time we have not got one tactical kicker in the side. The 40/20 by Coot was the first I can remember this season but his other kicks are mostly easily fielded. It’s bad news when neither half back has a decent kicking game. Hampton gave us a lesson tonight.

Learning All The Songs

Said for a long time we have not got one tactical kicker in the side. The 40/20 by Coot was the first I can remember this season but his other kicks are mostly easily fielded. It’s bad news when neither half back has a decent kicking game. Hampton gave us a lesson tonight.

Learning All The Songs

From minute 1 to 80 that was abysmal. One man rugby for most of the night. Don't think Makinson touched the ball other than carting it up the middle. Our kicking , whoever its from , is shocking. If Fages wasn't a decent tackler he would serve no purpose whatsoever. Part of me doesn't want to win the GF with Wolf in charge.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fages looked very robotic tonight the only thing in his locker was the drop off pass, wouldn't do any harm to give Dodd a show next week to provide some variety because Wakefield will play the same tactics again next Thursday.

I would also start Walmsley on the bench, thats the 4th game in a row that the opposition have targeted Walmsley to make him do a lot of tackles and sap his energy levels.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    That's a child-like statement but I'll answer it.

The execution in the first half was so poor that any sort of gameplan that the coach prepared would have been binned off and replaced by an instruction to start respecting the ball, executing with more accuracy and getting the ball into territory. That's effectively what we did at the start of the second half and had to do on the back of gifting possession and territory to Wakefield. There are times when the worst thing to do is play out of trouble by chucking the ball around when the timing and execution just was'nt there at all. Probability alone says that that will just create more mistakes.

Where I was more interested was about 55-60 mins into that second half when Saints had possession inside the Wakefield twenty. On many sets, they burned two or three tackles in my opinion by cycling the ball predictably through a maximum of two hands with a reliance on individual ability to muscle in followed by a predictable shift the ball wide for the second rower to take an inside ball and crab in. That was bad enough but Fages was stood like a subbuteo player when he received the ball and the rest of the players stacked wide were as equally static quite a few times. Its only on the last two tackle's that the ball was shipped with any real movement. Its this area where tonight looks less of a 'bad day' and it needs to change because the likes of Price have that covered most days of the week.

Finally it would be churlish to take anything away from Wakefiled. They played excellently with the ball and in defence; sometimes the opposition step up and overachieve you have to acknowledge that. Its sport and it happens.
    Good post. When a plan isn't working, change the plan. Bottom line though we've Lomax playing well but individually, Fages needs moving from the halves, Walmsley looks burnt out, Taia not breaking the line like the other back rowers. The kicking is a shambles as usual. It's like it's the first time they've ever met each other rather than a cohesive team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I would think tonight Makinson made more metres after contact than any forward.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    that's a child-like statement but i'll answer it.

The execution in the first half was so poor that any sort of game plan that the coach prepared would have been binned off and replaced by an instruction to get back to basics: Start respecting the ball, executing with more accuracy and getting the ball into territory. That's effectively what we did at the start of the second half and had to do on the back of gifting possession and territory to wakefield in the first half. There are times when the worst thing to do is play out of trouble by chucking the ball around when the timing and execution just was'nt there at all. Probability alone says that that will just create more mistakes; more so as the simple and daft mistakes had energised wakefield.

Where i was more interested was about 55-60 mins into that second half when saints had possession inside the wakefield twenty. On many sets, they burned two or three tackles in my opinion by cycling the ball predictably through a maximum of two hands with a reliance on individual ability to muscle in followed by a predictable shift the ball wide for the second rower to take an inside ball and crab in. That was bad enough but fages was stood like a subbuteo player when he received the ball and the rest of the players stacked wide were as equally static quite a few times. Its only on the last two tackle's that the ball was shipped with any real movement. Its this area where tonight looks less of a 'bad day' and it needs to change because the likes of price have that covered most days of the week. Its like we seem happy to go with beating more moderate teams by 10 through percentages then trying to open up. Its not exactly working either. We nearly lost to hull kr, were beaten by huddersfield and ran close tonight

finally it would be churlish to take anything away from wakefield. They played excellently with the ball and in defense; sometimes the opposition step up and overachieve you have to acknowledge that. Its sport and it happens.
    tldr.

Got A Season Ticket

Terrible performance by Saints, it reminded me of the Cunningham years playing one up rugby. On the few occasions we did go wide we scored. We had 10 days since our last game and we looked unprepared and no aggression. Can’t understand why we started with Walmsley and LMS who are both impact players. Lees should be nowhere near the team. We have been flat in attack for a few weeks and Woolfs gameplan must be to defend and hope for the odd try when we have the ball.

Can sky please replace Phil Clarke who was so biased in Wakefield’s favour it’s embarrassing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Well that was painful to watch.

I’ll get the brief positives out of the way first; we won and we did so after being 12-0 down. That’s it.

Two main areas of concern for me that have been building steadily over the last few weeks. Firstly the team selection and tactics. We have in my opinion the best loose forward in the league who under Holbrook was the perfect link player between forwards and backs. He’d often take the ball in at first receiver and bring Lonax and Fages into the game off him. An 80 minute player who will tackle all day and never take a backward step. Tonight yet again he was at 2nd row with a prop at 13 and two 2nd rowers on the bench. It makes no sense and I said as much pre-game. Why set up with a battering ram at 13 and Knowles at 2nd row? Please, if someone can justify that then enlighten me.

Secondly, Fages is going backwards. He’s seemingly only on the field now to put up that same high kick on the last. He looks clueless at the minute and is running round like a headless chicken. We have a young, dynamic, exciting half back in Lewis Dodd waiting in the wings and we have Wakefield again next week. If Woolf doesn’t start him in that game, and play him in his proper position, then I and many other will be seriously confused and frustrated. Fages is currently offering very little so NOW is the time to see what Dodd can do.

Yes we are still top and yes we will win 90% of our games whilst playing below par. But when it matters we need to be a lot better than that. With Percival gone for the season we’ve lost our main strike player and we therefore have to maximise our attacking threat elsewhere and in my opinion that has to mean Knowles at 13 and someone at 7 who will keep the defence guessing. Make the changes now and get some form together going into the crunch games.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I cannot understand this Fages blame? That first half was a collective balls up when we had the ball in hand! Second half we all came together.

Learning All The Songs

Kevin Brown seems to be going ok behind the mic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Well that was painful to watch.

I’ll get the brief positives out of the way first; we won and we did so after being 12-0 down. That’s it.

Two main areas of concern for me that have been building steadily over the last few weeks. Firstly the team selection and tactics. We have in my opinion the best loose forward in the league who under Holbrook was the perfect link player between forwards and backs. He’d often take the ball in at first receiver and bring Lonax and Fages into the game off him. An 80 minute player who will tackle all day and never take a backward step. Tonight yet again he was at 2nd row with a prop at 13 and two 2nd rowers on the bench. It makes no sense and I said as much pre-game. Why set up with a battering ram at 13 and Knowles at 2nd row? Please, if someone can justify that then enlighten me.

Secondly, Fages is going backwards. He’s seemingly only on the field now to put up that same high kick on the last. He looks clueless at the minute and is running round like a headless chicken. We have a young, dynamic, exciting half back in Lewis Dodd waiting in the wings and we have Wakefield again next week. If Woolf doesn’t start him in that game, and play him in his proper position, then I and many other will be seriously confused and frustrated. Fages is currently offering very little so NOW is the time to see what Dodd can do.

Yes we are still top and yes we will win 90% of our games whilst playing below par. But when it matters we need to be a lot better than that. With Percival gone for the season we’ve lost our main strike player and we therefore have to maximise our attacking threat elsewhere and in my opinion that has to mean Knowles at 13 and someone at 7 who will keep the defence guessing. Make the changes now and get some form together going into the crunch games.
    Glad you noticed this as I did and I've not really seen it called out. It's a waste and we look far more predictable with the ball just shooting our from Roby to Lomax/Fages and then been cycled onto the centres/second row. Knowles not put defences on edge by having to concentrate on his ball playing skill, but was very good at it. Totally agree.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    I cannot understand this Fages blame? That first half was a collective balls up when we had the ball in hand! Second half we all came together.
    Because he’s a scrum half who can’t do anything apart from tackle. Literally can’t kick and majority of the passes he throws are predictable short balls. It’s been obvious he’s not a very good 7 for a while.

Learning All The Songs

You can't blame Fages, he's being tasked to do everything while Lomax is stuck out on the left doing nothing for large parts of the game.

Banned

These tactics are woeful. One man drives or the odd drop off and not much else.

Percentage rugby every week that is painful to watch.

We’re clueless in the opposition 20 and if Alex doesn’t smash his way over, we don’t score.

What’s happened to all of our intricate plays that we’ve used over the last few years?

Our right edge has had no quality ball all season.

I thought we’d sorted ourselves out after lock down but the last month has been garbage to watch.

About Fages. That's just pathetic, I nearly said BOLLOCKS, but held back. It's a team game, if the key plays are being dropped or put forward, it doesn't matter who is at 7. And I would suggest that Doddy would and will be target No1 if you think the lad would have been better tonight.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    I’ve been calling Fages out for weeks in my defence; this isn’t just a reaction to tonight. He’s an average player whose limited ability can often be masked in a dominant team.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS