Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Wakefield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Wakefield

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/10/0...-21-man-squad/

IN: Makinson
    OUT: Costello

1. Lachlan Coote, 2, Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 11. Zeb Taia, 12, Dom Peyroux, 13. LMS, 14. Morgan Knowles, 15. Matty Lees, 16. Kyle Amor, 19. Aaron Smith, 20. James Bentley, 22. Jack Welsby, 23, Joe Batchelor, 26, Josh Simm, 27, Lewis Dodd, 32. James Graham
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Batchelor and Peyroux to miss out and then 2 of Simm/Welsby and Smith/Dodd.

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm/Welsby
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Dodd/Smith
    Amor
    Lees
    LMS

Personally I’d keep Simm at centre and I’d play Dodd at 7 with Smith or Fages off the bench.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Great to see Tommy Mak. in the squad again Would not mind seeing Dodd on the bench instead of Smith .

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm/Welsby
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Dodd/Smith
    Amor
    Lees
    LMS

Personally I’d keep Simm at centre and I’d play Dodd at 7 with Smith or Fages off the bench.
    So would I he's done ok as a start and deserves some exposure, could have had a couple of tries last time out had the correct passes been played. I'd like to see Dodd have a run out. Welsby has had a fair crack at it for now and made a mess of centre last time he tried and he'll unlikely focus on centre going forwards. If KW fancies pairing him with Dodd I'm fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

The team mostly picks itself. Like a few others I would prefer to have Simm at centre over Welsby and Dodd either starting or being on the bench with Theo going to 9 when needed. I see no sense in playing Dodd at 9 if he is the next big thing in the halves.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    The team mostly picks itself. Like a few others I would prefer to have Simm at centre over Welsby and Dodd either starting or being on the bench with Theo going to 9 when needed. I see no sense in playing Dodd at 9 if he is the next big thing in the halves.
    Exactly, it's fine filling in with youngsters when a series of injuries has affected things but where possible he should give them a chance in their fav position. If that uncovers options down the line as part of their development so be it but no sense shuffling things just for the hell of it.

Banned

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace
    Lomax
    Welsby
    Walmsley
    Smith
    Graham
    Taia
    Bentley
    Knowles

Dodd
    Lms
    Amor
    Peryoux / but he will play lees

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm/Welsby
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Dodd/Smith
    Amor
    Lees
    LMS

Agreed I would have Dodd at 7 and Fages on the bench, next week I would have Welsby at 6 and put Lomax on the bench

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

With Woolf's interview its looking like:-

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Welsby
    Grace

Lomax
    Fages

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Smith
    Amor
    Lees
    LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Agreed I would have Dodd at 7 and Fages on the bench, next week I would have Welsby at 6 and put Lomax on the bench
    100% agree with this

Banned

I think we should be mixing it up a bit between the two Wakey games. What I'd love to see is:

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Lomax
    Dodd

Amor
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    LMS
    Peyroux

Then the week after...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Welsby
    Fages

Graham
    Roby
    LMS
    Peyroux
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    Amor
    Batchelor

Allows us to give Dodd & Welsby gametime in their favoured positions next to experienced players in strong teams, whilst also giving some key players a breather before the intense few weeks kick in. Perhaps in the first put Smith in at 9 from the off, with Fages or even Eaves on the bench to spell with.

It's pointless going all out to win the LLS, but knackering key players for the final in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think we should be mixing it up a bit between the two Wakey games. What I'd love to see is:

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Lomax
    Dodd

Amor
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    LMS
    Peyroux

Then the week after...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Welsby
    Fages

Graham
    Roby
    LMS
    Peyroux
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    Amor
    Batchelor

Allows us to give Dodd & Welsby gametime in their favoured positions next to experienced players in strong teams, whilst also giving some key players a breather before the intense few weeks kick in. Perhaps in the first put Smith in at 9 from the off, with Fages or even Eaves on the bench to spell with.

It's pointless going all out to win the LLS, but knackering key players for the final in the process.
    Can't see anyone arguing with this or finding fault. Keeps the lads fresh, keeps everyone included, good for morale etc etc. If either of these variations fail to beat Wakey with things as they are it will be down to poor performance and not team selection.
    It's not as if they've any complicated sweeping plays to brush up on either is it.

Looking further ahead to future seasons... will be interesting to see how we balance the squad. Who knows who will come in or leave?

Coote has been one of our best players over the last couple of seasons (probably our best buy in a while). He may stay longer than his current contract - though just as likely to leave.

If we don't bring anyone into that position - we have Welsby as a possibility, though I feel Lomax there might give a better balance. Then we would have Fages, Dodd and Welsby competing for the halves spots. Just speculating... and over this season and next may be a good time to experiment with some different combinations

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Looking further ahead to future seasons... will be interesting to see how we balance the squad. Who knows who will come in or leave?

Coote has been one of our best players over the last couple of seasons (probably our best buy in a while). He may stay longer than his current contract - though just as likely to leave.

If we don't bring anyone into that position - we have Welsby as a possibility, though I feel Lomax there might give a better balance. Then we would have Fages, Dodd and Welsby competing for the halves spots. Just speculating... and over this season and next may be a good time to experiment with some different combinations
    Yes I think we should be looking further ahead. Overall we have quite a few players that are getting on in years, out of contract and we need to start looking if those positions can be filled internally.

Banned

Just see their latest financial figures. Wakey are losing in excess of 30K a month. The stadium is not coming any time soon. Fev have just made a yearly profit of 40K despite spending an extensive periodic sum on ground upgrades. It will be interesting to see the next move from Carter.

Noooobie

Sounds unsustainable for long. Is there a link to those figures?

Banned

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Lomax
    Dodd

Amor
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    LMS
    Peyroux

Then the week after...

Coote

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace

Welsby
    Fages

Graham
    Roby
    LMS
    Peyroux
    Bentley
    Knowles

Smith
    Lees
    Amor
    Batchelor

Can't disagree with this, we have a squad for a reason. Woolfe doesn't seem to be on that page though.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Seems like Wakey are struggling to raise a team, we could lend them a couple

Reminds me of the old RU days, one team would turn up short so you lend them a couple of yours then swap them over at half time

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Can't disagree with this, we have a squad for a reason. Woolfe doesn't seem to be on that page though.
    A few people keep saying this but we haven't played many games in the last month due to our cup exit and bye round, so haven't needed to rotate.

Woolf has already said a plan is place for the busier period, so I've no doubt we'll see plenty of rotation in the next few weeks.

For me we should aim to get top wrapped up as soon as we can (£100k prize money will be crucial without fans) by playing our strongest side as much as we can and then rotating for the mid week games. If we win our next three we could be in a very strong position as Wire, Wigan, Catalans and Leeds have got tougher games than we have (some play each other during that period).
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Seems like Wakey are struggling to raise a team, we could lend them a couple

Reminds me of the old RU days, one team would turn up short so you lend them a couple of yours then swap them over at half time
    Just checked their team sheet for tomorrows game on BBC Sport, still got most of their first 13 can only see 4 absentees so maybe just struggling for the 4 bench players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    A few people keep saying this but we haven't played many games in the last month due to our cup exit and bye round, so haven't needed to rotate.

Woolf has already said a plan is place for the busier period, so I've no doubt we'll see plenty of rotation in the next few weeks.

For me we should aim to get top wrapped up as soon as we can (£100k prize money will be crucial without fans) by playing our strongest side as much as we can and then rotating for the mid week games. If we win our next three we could be in a very strong position as Wire, Wigan, Catalans and Leeds have got tougher games than we have (some play each other during that period).

The problem with rotating just in midweek games is that the midweek teams are inevitably going to be much weaker if you try to rest half a dozen players at any one time. Additionally, 3 of our four midweek games are piescum, Catalans away, and Wanky.

By rotating just 2 or 3 each game now, we can tailor the rests for each player to suit our own game and the quality of the opposition.

The problem with rotating just in midweek games is that the midweek teams are inevitably going to be much weaker if you try to rest half a dozen players at any one time. Additionally, 3 of our four midweek games are piescum, Catalans away, and Wanky.

By rotating just 2 or 3 each game now, we can tailor the rests for each player to suit our own game and the quality of the opposition.
    More balance to it this way I'd agree it's the best way to go.

You should have an input to selection.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

You should have an input to selection.
    I think I'd leave it to the coach. We've done reasonably OK so far.
    You know what they say about Camels...Horses designed by a committee!

Edit. I'm not knocking Webbo BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I think I'd leave it to the coach. We've done reasonably OK so far.
    You know what they say about Camels...Horses designed by a committee!

Edit. I'm not knocking Webbo BTW!