Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 years ago today

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    10 years today since the last game at Knowsley Road
    Is it just me who wishes that we were still there, if we could have extended the Dunriding Lane end for more corporate facilities, and modernised the main stand. The closeness of the fans to the players and action was always worth a few points together with the advice given by the fans to the ref. I'm probably stuck in the past but I still can't feel a connection with the TWS the name alone sticks in the throat compared with just saying Knowsley Road

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Is it just me who wishes that we were still there, if we could have extended the Dunriding Lane end for more corporate facilities, and modernised the main stand. The closeness of the fans to the players and action was always worth a few points together with the advice given by the fans to the ref. I'm probably stuck in the past but I still can't feel a connection with the TWS the name alone sticks in the throat compared with just saying Knowsley Road

Love the new stadium, and as I usually go with one of my daughters, it's much, much better in terms of facilities and comfort.

But it does really lack atmosphere, and I'm with you on the name

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Love the new stadium, and as I usually go with one of my daughters, it's much, much better in terms of facilities and comfort.

But it does really lack atmosphere, and I'm with you on the name
    That's partially because of the layout and also the fact that apart from Warrington or Wigan there are very view fans following the visiting teams on a Friday night.

It's irrelevant in the current circumstances but it does detract from the matches

Problem with KR is that nostalgia makes us think positively only. I loved the old ground but lets be honest for most league games you could hear a pin drop. Yes it was loud for the big games but so has the new stadium been in parts. The 2013 last minute Greenwood try against Wigan was a great atmosphere. That was probably the first time I felt the stadium could generate a good atmosphere. We've had the odd few games since then also where there has been a good atmosphere.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Problem with KR is that nostalgia makes us think positively only. I loved the old ground but lets be honest for most league games you could hear a pin drop. Yes it was loud for the big games but so has the new stadium been in parts. The 2013 last minute Greenwood try against Wigan was a great atmosphere. That was probably the first time I felt the stadium could generate a good atmosphere. We've had the odd few games since then also where there has been a good atmosphere.
    Seem to remember those quiet times were in the 80's were we only got 3000 to 5000 fans some seasons. The atmosphere regenerated in the Superleague Era and we got half time events but there were a couple of embarrassing ones like the "Xmas Lights" along the popular stand installed like a dogs back leg.

I like our new stadium, its design is fantastic especially the forecourt approach to the turnstiles. We had the Dunriding Lane pitch to sit outside on the warm days with a beer but our new stadium grass area between Tesco and the Stadium is just as good. One thing I don't do
    is call it the Totally Wicked Stadium always the Langtree Park Stadium for me.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I only ever went to Knowsley Road once, that was as a Steward. Saints playing Barrow. It was the one and only time, as I got put on the Barrow side and they where vicious.

I then started following when Saints was at Widnes.

I respect the history of Knowsley Road, but for me, Langtree Park (not TWS) is my "home"

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I only ever went to Knowsley Road once, that was as a Steward. Saints playing Barrow. It was the one and only time, as I got put on the Barrow side and they where vicious.

I then started following when Saints was at Widnes.

I respect the history of Knowsley Road, but for me, Langtree Park (not TWS) is my "home"
    Interesting to hear that perspective. Given that we've almost been there 10 years there must now be a reasonable proportion of our fanbase that are Langtree/TWS natives.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Another good game at the new stadium was when we belted Leeds. I think it was the first game following Simmons sacking.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I don’t mind the new ground. Just wish we had one side all standing like at Knowsley Rd.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Interesting to hear that perspective. Given that we've almost been there 10 years there must now be a reasonable proportion of our fanbase that are Langtree/TWS natives.
    I love walking up to the Stadium.

My cousin was about 10 when we started going, hes now 18!

Many a great nights! Many crap nights as well.

World Club games, play offs, international games. Good Friday games. Love the place.
    Last edited by sinkers89; 24th September 2020 at 21:10.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I love walking up to the Stadium.

My cousin was about 8 when we started going, hes now 18!

Many a great nights! Many crap nights as well.

World Club games, play offs, international games. Good Friday games. Love the place.
    For me the look of the ground when walking up is the most impressive in RL.

In The South Stand

I’ll always love Knowsley Road. Its the place I first saw the Saints and it’ll always be that and that’s where this obsession not just for Saints but Rugby League began. It was my family’s part of town. Matchdays involves popping in on a few people along the way to either meet them or to just say hello and I look back now and appreciate that it’s the place where my Dad watched Rugby League, where his Dad watched Rugby League, where his Dad watched Rugby League and where a very distant relative actually played briefly in the 1930’s, so it’ll always be home.

That said, I love Langtree Park too. The place has had special nights too and new routines have been formed and while I miss the old routine and some of the faces that routine involved who are sadly no longer with us, these new routines are enjoyable and I love them.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Our home ground will always be Knowsley Road for me.

Langtree Park, The Totally Wicked Stadium or what ever It may be called next time round it will never truly to me feel like home. It will always almost feel like a second home ground.

We needed to move with the times I completely agree, but for me, the history, the players, the memories including those held personally you can never replace that soul or transfer it as this case may be.

Really enjoyed reading the Stars take on the memory of the old bird

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...road-10-years/

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post

Langtree Park, The Totally Wicked Stadium or what ever It may be called next time round it will never truly to me feel like home. It will always almost feel like a second home ground.

We needed to move with the times I completely agree, but for me, the history, the players, the memories including those held personally you can never replace that soul or transfer it as this case may be.

That's a good read. Can tell where your loyalties lie with the profile picture....Toilets nowadays are like 5 star hotels

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

For me it will always have a family connection.

My mum was a keen fan, her dad used to take her and her brothers in the 1920's & 30's.

I've got great memories of going there with my mum and dad in the late 50's and 60's then taking my kids there 80's & 90's.

Struggling to get my grandkids interested though, but I'm working on it .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I’m happy with the memories, I wouldn’t swap them for anything. From jumping about on the Pop aged 11 or 12 in the late 1980s to those mad Wigan games in the early 1990s all the way through the early Super League era, the place meant loads to me, and it always will.

People are right that on a bog standard Sunday afternoon or Friday night the atmosphere was average, but this was a reflection of how much better than the pack we’d become. Games stopped being dramatic most weeks and it’s hard to produce electricity if there is no tension. But when the team needed us, and when the occasion merited it, we always delivered. I took loads of people to games over the years, from Ireland, Greece, the south etc. I always made sure they sampled the Scaff and they all came back after being impressed with the atmosphere. There was no better feeling than the cry of COYS which grew out from the Scaff and seemed to travel across the whole Pop side out onto the field. We‘ll never really replicate that at LP because the place doesn’t have the acoustics, and the noise is generated further away from the field.

But... it’s gone, and for anyone under the age of 20 KR is simply a childhood memory or an irrelevance. These are the people that will keep the club vibrant and will generate the noise in the coming years and decades, and to them LP is their home ground and always has been really. And much like KR the place is average for most games, but for big games it can be special in its own way. Fishy mentioned the Leeds game on the Sunday night after Simmons was sacked. I remember the ‘Matty Bowen’ Wigan game on a sticky Friday night in June 4-5 years ago when the whole ground was on it, and others will have games were the atmosphere was pretty good.

The thing that makes me happy though is that we have a ground that is considered elite within the game. We get semi finals now, we get chosen to host internationals, we get to play WCC games at home, and our ground has been an integral part of games being able to be played over the last couple of months. When you walk up to LP it feels like a top ground, and whilst it doesn’t have the romance of KR it has a lot going for it. We’re lucky to have it, we’re lucky to own it, and it’ll be a massive asset for us down the line when things are back to some normality.

It’ll never be special to me like KR, but I had my time there as a kid and a young man and it’ll never be forgotten. If kids and youngsters make LP as special for them as KR was for people my age and older then everything is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I’m happy with the memories, I wouldn’t swap them for anything. From jumping about on the Pop aged 11 or 12 in the late 1980s to those mad Wigan games in the early 1990s all the way through the early Super League era, the place meant loads to me, and it always will.

People are right that on a bog standard Sunday afternoon or Friday night the atmosphere was average, but this was a reflection of how much better than the pack we’d become. Games stopped being dramatic most weeks and it’s hard to produce electricity if there is no tension. But when the team needed us, and when the occasion merited it, we always delivered. I took loads of people to games over the years, from Ireland, Greece, the south etc. I always made sure they sampled the Scaff and they all came back after being impressed with the atmosphere. There was no better feeling than the cry of COYS which grew out from the Scaff and seemed to travel across the whole Pop side out onto the field. We‘ll never really replicate that at LP because the place doesn’t have the acoustics, and the noise is generated further away from the field.

But... it’s gone, and for anyone under the age of 20 KR is simply a childhood memory or an irrelevance. These are the people that will keep the club vibrant and will generate the noise in the coming years and decades, and to them LP is their home ground and always has been really. And much like KR the place is average for most games, but for big games it can be special in its own way. Fishy mentioned the Leeds game on the Sunday night after Simmons was sacked. I remember the ‘Matty Bowen’ Wigan game on a sticky Friday night in June 4-5 years ago when the whole ground was on it, and others will have games were the atmosphere was pretty good.

The thing that makes me happy though is that we have a ground that is considered elite within the game. We get semi finals now, we get chosen to host internationals and our ground has been an integral part of games being able to be played over the last couple of months. When you walk up to LP it feels like a top ground, and whilst it doesn’t have the romance of KR it has a lot going for it. We’re lucky to have it, we’re lucky to own it, and it’ll be a massive asset for us down the line when things are back to some normality.

It’ll never be special to me like KR, but I had my time there as a kid and a young man and it’ll never be forgotten. If kids and youngsters make LP as special for them as KR was for people my age and older then everything is good.
    Great post. Sums it up perfectly for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

The thing that makes me happy though is that we have a ground that is considered elite within the game. We get semi finals now, we get chosen to host internationals, we get to play WCC games at home, and our ground has been an integral part of games being able to be played over the last couple of months. When you walk up to LP it feels like a top ground, and whilst it doesn’t have the romance of KR it has a lot going for it. We’re lucky to have it, we’re lucky to own it, and it’ll be a massive asset for us down the line when things are back to some normality.

If Saints had still been at KR it's highly unlikely I would have started watching Saints again it's less than a mile from me now can drop my season ticket at home after a game then go for a couple of pints

We moved away from St. Helens in 1980, when I was 12. I was never a regular at KR but did go once or twice in the late 70's when we were dire. In fact, my best experience up until that time was watching Pilks Recs run Castleford close in the cup! I did attend games sporadically over the years and remember Sonny Nickle marching several Warrington players over the line to score (when Warrington had the green hoop away kit with barbed wire hoops) and was there when we thrashed them to win the inaugural Super League title. I enjoyed a couple of games during the Millward period (I agree it was the best) but whilst I have great memories of particular players, tries and tackles, the "atmosphere" is not one of them. I've also been to several games at LP/TWS. I had a lump in my throat watching TVV bring out the match ball for our first league game there and really, really, really, enjoyed us smashing the pies in the play-offs last season. But again, I'm afraid I can't say it's the atmosphere that sticks in the mind. Personally for me, someone who doesn't have an affinity with either ground, watching Saints in the flesh is an occasional treat, I would just rather do it at LP/TWS with the comfort/conveniences associated with a modern ground. I also agree that our stadium does look impressive on the walk-up (and my Dad has a brick in the wall)!
    Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

Banned

Same for me, I don't dislike Langtree but it doesn't feel like home either, not like KR did anyway. As you say, it's more than bricks and mortar, to me anyway. I seen the ground on almost a daily basis growing up, actually had my first proper kiss (she's a lesbian now btw) in the club at some junior disco aged about 11, met mates who are mates for life, met an ex bird there, many fantastic memories and quite a few crap ones. I still remember my first game like it was yesterday when it seemed like the biggest place I'd ever been to. •••• me, I'm welling up here.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Can anyone remember who scored the 1st try at Langtree park and what part of the ground he touched down, one cracking lad used to train in my gym , he always wanted to play in the redvee .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Can anyone remember who scored the 1st try at Langtree park and what part of the ground he touched down, one cracking lad used to train in my gym , he always wanted to play in the redvee .
    Jodie broughton - Salford

Freezing cold night and we were crap, I was in the away end . Can’t say for certain but I’m sure is was in the corner to my right so left wingers corner

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Paddy Flynn?

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Paddy Flynn?
    Paddy Flynn it was Paul, always resented it , great Lad thier kid was a top player in the amateur game .PS top left hand corner = West - North , or was it ? lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    I remember a kick off during the game.

Think it was Lomax, boots the ball high in the air, gust of wind pushes it back into our half.

At that point it was decided the stadium needed cladding.