Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 years ago today

Learning All The Songs

Default 20 years ago today

was Wide to West. The greatest try in RL history

I was lucky enough to be stood in the main stand paddock and watched West run down that wing before passing inside to Joynty.

Still gives me goose bumps when I watch it

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post

I was lucky enough to be stood in the main stand paddock and watched West run down that wing before passing inside to Joynty.

INCREDIBLE

I think I still have a headache from shouting that day.

Great memories.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I couldn't get my usual spot that day (main stand paddock) but rewarded with great position were Joynty just received the last pass with Lowes cutting across. There was a massive big surge of fans around us as Joynty raised his arm going for the try line, the place was buzzing outside the ground as we left going back to the car.

Saints fans were pretty lucky to see so many magical moments during that Superleague dynasty period.

Banned

I had to be at a do so couldn't go. It was in the function room at the Navy Club and half the people from the do were in the other side watching on the TV. The place erupted.

I preferred the game back in those days, it had a real buzz to it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I had to be at a do so couldn't go. It was in the function room at the Navy Club and half the people from the do were in the other side watching on the TV. The place erupted.

We were still proving ourselves back then even after a couple of league titles, and it still felt exciting and as though we were on a journey and creating something special. I also think that a bulk of our fans included people our age who had been through the lean years as kids and teenagers and were determined not to take the good times for granted. Nowadays, we’re established and most people think of us as a top team. Kids growing up in this era haven’t seen the flowing RL we saw, but they’ve seen us win a couple of titles and think it’s the norm, whereas people our age just think it’s all a bit watered down from when we were younger. It probably leads to us having a fanbase that is a bit more blasé and maybe a bit more bored than twenty years ago.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I was at a do at cricket club in Sutton, the score kept being relayed to us upstairs and, to coin a phrase, we thought it was all over , until we heard a big roar from downstairs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Incredible try.

I think I hugged more people on the Popular side that night than I've ever hugged in my life. A proper bounding celebration when Joynt went over. Knowsley Road had some great moments but this was the peak 'moment' in my time watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I couldn't get my usual spot that day (main stand paddock) but rewarded with great position were Joynty just received the last pass with Lowes cutting across. There was a massive big surge of fans around us as Joynty raised his arm going for the try line, the place was buzzing outside the ground as we left going back to the car.

Saints fans were pretty lucky to see so many magical moments during that Superleague dynasty period.
    That is exactly where I was stood! Who knows, you could have been one of the hundreds of strangers I hugged!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It’s the moment when you can see all the fans in that corner go mental as they realise Joynt is definitely going to score, followed a split second later by the deafening roar from the whole ground. I know we’re better off as a club with our new stadium but god I miss Knowsley Road!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    That is exactly where I was stood! Who knows, you could have been one of the hundreds of strangers I hugged!
    I do remember the hugging + back slapping, it was though the roar of the crowd in that area seemed to give Joynty that extra yard of pace. He was so close to the touch line and near the fans he must have felt a physical presence when player and fans became as one.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I do remember the hugging + back slapping, it was though the roar of the crowd in that area seemed to give Joynty that extra yard of pace. He was so close to the touch line and near the fans he must have felt a physical presence when player and fans became as one.
    Sully was screaming for the ball on his inside. Just glad Joynty beat that last man!
    Last edited by Saint from Bury; 22nd September 2020 at 14:33.

Banned

Sadly I wasn't there as it was during the period i'd stoped going but my late Uncle was there said it was the most noise he'd heard in over 50 years of watching Saints

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Sadly I wasn't there as it was during the period i'd stoped going but my late Uncle was there said it was the most noise he'd heard in over 50 years of watching Saints
    The only others that had that same explosion of noise were the Sean Long drop goal against Wire in the 2008 17-16 game and the Cunningham try against Cas in 2010.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

One of the best saints moments ever. I remember a few folk leaving the ground with a few minutes to go. That probably haunts them to this day!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Sully was screaming for the ball on his inside. Just glad Joynty beat that last man!
    I was stood in the paddock and could see Lowes coming across to try to tackle Joynt so was also screaming for him to pass inside to Sullivan. Every time I see the video I’m still amazed that Lowes didn’t manage to stop the try.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I was stood in the paddock and could see Lowes coming across to try to tackle Joynt so was also screaming for him to pass inside to Sullivan. Every time I see the video I’m still amazed that Lowes didn’t manage to stop the try.
    same here. Joynt just managed to find the pace to beat Lowes' attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Lowes went for the legs tackle but Joynt was all thighs lol

I went with a Wigan supporting mate so stood near the screen rather than the pop stand. Didn't really see what happened bar the kick to the side line and then Joynt run past us. Even my mate loved it. Was an awesome time to be a Saints fan, the game felt different then.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I usually stood on the pop side 25 metre line restaurant end on the back wall but that night I was smack bang right under the scaff, I was going that mental I actually grabbed my mate about 10 seconds after the try went in to steady myself as I thought my heart was gonna give way or burst out of my chest, I was 21 then.. Great times

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I went with a Wigan supporting mate so stood near the screen rather than the pop stand. Didn't really see what happened bar the kick to the side line and then Joynt run past us. Even my mate loved it. Was an awesome time to be a Saints fan, the game felt different then.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Totally agree about it feeling different back then.

For me, the Millward era is my favourite. Roller coaster ride every other week, pure entertainment and trophies at the end of it.

The thrill and emotion of nights like that, will never be beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Millwards era was the most exciting time, u know u were going to a game were u would be so entertained.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

10 years today since the last game at Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Millwards era was the most exciting time, u know u were going to a game were u would be so entertained.
    Yeh i agree. He was a good fit for our team at the time. Plenty ups and downs but entertaining rugby and a steady stream of trophies without being too spoilt. 5 years, 5 major trophies. I’d take that average now!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    10 years today since the last game at Knowsley Road
    wow, what a sad thought. Miss the old place.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Definitely the most entertaining period of rugby.