Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regan grace badly underused

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Why did his team do it so often then?
    Charnley got burned by Regan last year on a straight run, the QE2 turns around quicker than Charnley, Ratchford is slower than an asthmatic pit pony pulling a piano, a kick over the top for them to turn and chase with Regan in a straight line chase to me is a no brainer.
    I have conceded it easy to keyboard coach but we cannot keep dying wondering.
    If Tony Smith had Regan in his team would he try it ?
    Mentioning those players is all well and good,but they had a fast lad at fullback who would most likely get to the ball first.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Mentioning those players is all well and good,but they had a fast lad at fullback who would most likely get to the ball first.
    Thought I saw Ratchford very deep collecting a kick in the first half, if not fair enough. I still back Regan to burn them both in a straight line.
    I have stated it is easy from here to pick tactics to play the game especially with the benefit of hindsight as it is not my head on the line if it goes wrong.
    I would like us to try something different in big games, we have a gem on our wing with exceptional pace who did not get a chance to show it.

In The South Stand

Why did his team do it so often then?
    Charnley got burned by Regan last year on a straight run, the QE2 turns around quicker than Charnley, Ratchford is slower than an asthmatic pit pony pulling a piano, a kick over the top for them to turn and chase with Regan in a straight line chase to me is a no brainer.
    I have conceded it easy to keyboard coach but we cannot keep dying wondering.
    If Tony Smith had Regan in his team would he try it ?
    Oh Tony Smith would try it. I have no doubt about that but I think he likes entertaining rugby and is less of a percentages man.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Oh Tony Smith would try it. I have no doubt about that but I think he likes entertaining rugby and is less of a percentages man.
    Yeah but Smith insisted on the “ charge down “ which came off once in a blue moon but normally gifted ball to the opposition.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Yeah but Smith insisted on the “ charge down “ which came off once in a blue moon but normally gifted ball to the opposition.
    You’re being too sensible. I bet you were shouting when they did come off.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Aye that is higher risk play than the kick over but that coach and his style got you three CC`s with two back to back.
    Frustratingly for us, since the last time we lifted her, you now have four.

Starting A Programme Collection

One of the best chip over the top tries I ever saw was Austin Rhodes accompanied by ? Alan Whittle at Knowsley Rd. 25 yd tap kicked over opposition regathered then another chip over on coming full back pass on and scored. Thrilling rugby.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    One of the best chip over the top tries I ever saw was Austin Rhodes accompanied by ? Alan Whittle at Knowsley Rd. 25 yd tap kicked over opposition regathered then another chip over on coming full back pass on and scored. Thrilling rugby.
    Fair play to you Greg, pre decimalization and was probably in black & white as you watched it live.
    What year was that ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

A decent player was Rhodes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A decent player was Rhodes.
    Are you that vintage Belgian ?
    I worked with Austin at Cowley Hill, many lads said he was a good` un but lacked a half a yard of pace, he insisted he was being compared to Murphy whom Austin said had a rocket up his arse.
    Vinty, Murphy and Austin used to "do" the coupon between them when the handicap suited, he was in on it because he kicked the goals said it was a good way to make an extra few quid.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    You’re being too sensible. I bet you were shouting when they did come off.
    Yes I did cheer on THAT occasion!

Fair play to you Greg, pre decimalization and was probably in black & white as you watched it live.
    What year was that ?
    Sometime in the 70s.
    Then there was the one by Neil Holding in Lancs cup at Central Park. Midweek night game. That didn’t come off. Hanley snatched it out of the air went over for a try. Game over.

Banned

Sometime in the 70s.
    Then there was the one by Neil Holding in Lancs cup at Central Park. Midweek night game. That didn’t come off. Hanley snatched it out of the air went over for a try. Game over.
    That was 1986 the game where the lights went out when Saints where winning

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Are you that vintage Belgian ?
    I worked with Austin at Cowley Hill, many lads said he was a good` un but lacked a half a yard of pace, he insisted he was being compared to Murphy whom Austin said had a rocket up his arse.
    Vinty, Murphy and Austin used to "do" the coupon between them when the handicap suited, he was in on it because he kicked the goals said it was a good way to make an extra few quid.
    Yes I was watching Austin from when he started his first stint at Saints. Very reliable player at the back.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Sometime in the 70s.
    Must have been very early 70s maybe 70/71 season

From memory I think Rhodes played in the 1956 CC final and in the 1961CC final. then a season or 2 later he left, I think he went to Leigh.

I recall he came back to Saints late 60s and may still have been there early 70s, I was working down south around that time so lost touch for a couple years. I do recall coming home Xmas 1970 and going to the boxing day game against Wigan... it was a freezing day and the game was abandoned at half time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I can’t remember many charge downs working. I think its one of those plays that only a wiley player can pull off. You can’t coach a team to charge down kicks. You need a player who knows when to go for it. Wilkin at Wembley against Hull springs to mind IIRC, and Tommy Martyn at Wigan in 2000 when we came back from 16-0 to win. He charged down Farrells kick then got away from the ginger turnstile to score
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Graham Rees wembley 1972 v Leeds. The fastest try scored at wembley

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Must have been very early 70s maybe 70/71 season

From memory I think Rhodes played in the 1956 CC final and in the 1961CC final. then a season or 2 later he left, I think he went to Leigh.

I recall he came back to Saints late 60s and may still have been there early 70s, I was working down south around that time so lost touch for a couple years. I do recall coming home Xmas 1970 and going to the boxing day game against Wigan... it was a freezing day and the game was abandoned at half time.
    Yes I remember that game as well. We were beating Wigan easily as well. Was Eric Ashton still playing then or was he Wigan’s coach.

it was 68. rhodes played full back on a freezing cold day and eric ashton spent more time moaning to the ref about the conditions than he did playing. saints were winning 11 - 3 in front of 20,000 when the match was called off at half time.