Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lack of quality 7 & kicking game

Default Lack of quality 7 & kicking game

As much as Theo is a solid player, good defender, and in all fairness, did alright in attack today, I can't help but feel that our kicking game was pretty dire today and we are devoid of ideas when in the oppositions 10/20 areas.

For me, in those tight games, you can just see that we haven't got a quality 7 to impose themselves on the game, and for whatever reason, J Lo isn't finding the form he did prior lockdown, post lockdown, and it probably compounds the issue.

Obviously Lewis Dodd has been floating about the first team for some time now, is it time to include him and see how he gets on?

Learning All The Songs

I think Dodd should be given a chance.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

You’ve got to get to the last tackle to have a good kick. I think that was our biggest problem, especially in the first half.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Warrington did a good job on restricting the space to finish our sets, Coote-Lomax-Fages were not allowed any thinking time.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Theo isn’t a 7, never has been. His best ability was a running 6 game but with Linda there he has been shoehorned into 7. Way it has been and way it will always be until we get a dedicated 7. We have ability all over so in 80+% of games it’s overcome as an issue but it’s a reality and visible in games like today. Goulding’s a 7, Theo isn’t and never will be. But let’s be clear, that wasn’t the only problem today, when your fullback wants to try and trap a ball because he’s not confident of catching it, there are other issues, confidence as a side being one of them. We play a lot of the time like we are scared to death of making mistakes which is very odd until you look maybe at the coaching.

In The South Stand

The days of an out and out 7 are gone. I don't know why people are so hung up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    The days of an out and out 7 are gone. I don't know why people are so hung up on it.
    Massive apologies for wanting a half decent kicking game! Let's crack on as we are, that'll sort it out................

One thing that frustrated me was that, when we did get to the end of our sets, we didn’t bomb Jake Mamo. Last season he couldn’t catch a cold.

Got A Season Ticket

Very poor today. That's the worst game I've seen from Coote. No support when Zeb made breaks, just really clunky and disorganised.

Someone who can control the games speed and momentum, bring players on to the ball as required and put teams under pressure by controlling territory? Yes definitely in the past. How on earth would Andrew John’s get a job in the modern game?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Massive apologies for wanting a half decent kicking game! Let's crack on as we are, that'll sort it out................
    If you think we lost because of Fages at 7 then you need to give your head a wobble.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

For the last three years I have been saying that Fages isn't good enough and nothing ever changes my mind.

I wouldn't say he was the reason we lost, but the one thing that has been missing throughout the last three good years is a half back ability to prize open the opposition on the last tackle, and I'll include Jonny Lomax in that. Our last tackle plays have been dreadful for a very long time.

The need for a commanding half back with a kicking game is clear for most to see.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Someone who can control the games speed and momentum, bring players on to the ball as required and put teams under pressure by controlling territory? Yes definitely in the past. How on earth would Andrew John’s get a job in the modern game?
    The fact is most teams play with split halves. We got beat today by a team without a recognised 7. Simple fact is Long said Theo is a 7. Holbrook preferred Theo at 7 to Richardson. Wolfe is playing him at 7 and until Dodd comes along and shows he has what it takes to get a place in the team then Theo will be 7.

In The South Stand

The fact is most teams play with split halves. We got beat today by a team without a recognised 7. Simple fact is Long said Theo is a 7. Holbrook preferred Theo at 7 to Richardson. Wolfe is playing him at 7 and until Dodd comes along and shows he has what it takes to get a place in the team then Theo will be 7.

I don’t care what Long says, Theo isn’t a 7 and never has been. I have Theo’s performances at 7 on my side, what does Long have?

Default Lack of quality 7 & kicking game

I think whatever your opinion on what makes a modern 7, the fact remains that a top side needs a dominant decision maker with ice water in his veins. I’m not 100% sure we have that.

Starting A Programme Collection

IN A NUTSHELL. pack too small.

Ditto re threequarters

Remember the days when we had a bench of fasavalu, fozzard & Graham

Graham in place of Thompson was not a good trade. Bless him, Graham is knackered poor bloke.

In The South Stand

What cost us more today ? Our repeatedly giving them more sets ? Our daft penalties? Not taking 2 when we had the chance ? Our reliance on big Al ? Not catching that kick that resulted in a 40/20 ? Our rejigging the team due to injuries? Or Theo at 7 ? For all the finger pointing Theo and Lomax had a part in bringing us back into the game.

Simple fact is we can't win every game,all we can ask is we are competitive and we were,they won via a really jammy try in the end. If we had won the all the doom and gloom merchants and the scapegoatists would still be under their rocks.

In The South Stand

I don’t care what Long says, Theo isn’t a 7 and never has been. I have Theo’s performances at 7 on my side, what does Long have?
    Years of playing and coaching at a high level. What do you have ?

Learning All The Songs

Graham in place of Thompson was not a good trade. Bless him, Graham is knackered poor bloke.
    yes , as the Aussies said , he is past it. Please don't offer him another season

Learning All The Songs

yes , as the Aussies said , he is past it. Please don't offer him another season

Years of playing and coaching at a high level. What do you have ?
    A pair of eyes. Need nothing more.