Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Warrington

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Agree with Angry Dave. If ‘Luck’ exists, it would be where preparation meets ability.
    Thanks for that little gem confucius

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Don’t understand all the hatred for Matty Lee’s all of a sudden, embarrassing.
    Our pack wasn’t getting too old on here when we di**ed Leeds a few weeks back but now we are old and crocked but in the 4 over 30’s players you have picked (Could have been 5 with James Graham BTW) our other pack players are Bentley 23, Lee’s 22, Knowles 23, Smith 23 & walmsley 30.
    Age is but a number and can be spun either way, we were turned over in a closely fought game against the better side on the day.
    Hatred i think you’re going a bit OTT there.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    We were awful yet again against Warrington in a knockout game. I’d say the below sums up my thoughts on today and the last month or so.
    - James Graham is finished.
    - Matty Lees is one of the most overrated youngsters we’ve had. Yes there’s potential but he’s been garbage for a long time now, before his injury as well. He needs to bulk up because he’s impactless and offers nothing.
    - Fages is a decent utility player to have around but he’s a bang average scrum half. We get away with having him because the standard of scrum halves in SL is as bad as it’s ever been but he offers zero creativity and his kicking game is rubbish. We’d be much better off with Benji Marshall for a year before playing Dodd every week.
    - Our attack is diabolical. We rely on Alex Walmsley barge overs, quick ptb’s generated by him and individual quality. There’s zero shape and we look completely clueless in the 20 of any half decent team. We are much worse than last season in attack and Woolf has to take responsibility for that. It’s easy to say now and I didn’t think it at the time but it’s becoming increasingly clear that Watson would have been the better choice. Woolf’s time with us can only end in two ways, either him leaving for the NRL because we’ve won trophies or him getting the sack. Obviously won’t happen but we’d be better off thinking about bringing Watson in.
    I agree with all of this.

Got A Season Ticket

Personally I don't hate Lees, I just think he's nothing player. Not big/tall enough, no impact, too many penalties, no passing game, no step, no tackle busts, too many missed tackles. No idea why he got a young player award.

Smith is another nothing player, just a body in a shirt. I realise after Cunningham, Roby and Higham they are big boots to fill but he will never fill them. Given our style of play and the importance of a good hooker in the modern game we need a great longer term hooker and he isn't it.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Personally I don't hate Lees, I just think he's nothing player. Not big/tall enough, no impact, too many penalties, no passing game, no step, no tackle busts, too many missed tackles. No idea why he got a young player award.

Smith is another nothing player, just a body in a shirt. I realise after Cunningham, Roby and Higham they are big boots to fill but he will never fill them. Given our style of play and the importance of a good hooker in the modern game we need a great longer term hooker and he isn't it.
    I was surprised to see he is 24 (according to the BBC graphic). Would’ve expected to have seen rather more of him by now.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I think Lees comes in for some tough criticism. He’s trying to play above his weight and occasionally having to fill a void working as a prop when AW got his terrible injury. I can be corrected, wasn’t his whole youth time served around the centre position not in the forwards?
    Shouldn’t coaching come in for criticism for asking so much. I understand he has competition now in the quarters since the arrival of Niq. He sometimes was holding his own in the backrow too.

Banned

I think Lees comes in for some tough criticism. He’s trying to play above his weight and occasionally having to fill a void working as a prop when AW got his terrible injury. I can be corrected, wasn’t his whole youth time served around the centre position not in the forwards?
    Shouldn’t coaching come in for criticism for asking so much. I understand he has competition now in the quarters since the arrival of Niq. He sometimes was holding his own in the backrow too.
    The coach is coming in for criticism.

Starting A Programme Collection

You are possibly thinking of Ashworth who has played centre.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Lees is 22

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Both of them, they had step ups at he same time.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Lees is 22
    Sorry I was referring to Smith

Banned

Both of them, they had step ups at he same time.
    Who asked you? ya banger.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Agree with Angry Dave. If ‘Luck’ exists, it would be where preparation meets ability.
    Or, as Gary Player said, "the harder I practice the luckier I get".

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

I'm glad I watched the game. Reading the different threads about players who aren't good enough, not heavy enough, bodies are shot, coach is inept. Then taking in the fact we only had 3 subs for 55 minutes and 2 for 40 minutes. We had several players forced to play out of position and what will probably be the freakiest try of the season score against us. I would be thinking how on earth did we only lose by 2 points against a team that will be one of the main challengers for honours.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    I'm glad I watched the game. Reading the different threads about players who aren't good enough, not heavy enough, bodies are shot, coach is inept. Then taking in the fact we only had 3 subs for 55 minutes and 2 for 40 minutes. We had several players forced to play out of position and what will probably be the freakiest try of the season score against us. I would be thinking how on earth did we only lose by 2 points against a team that will be one of the main challengers for honours.
    I’m generally in agreement with you. Players vary in ability and that won’t change and, within the constraints of the cap, we have one of the best teams.

But, I think it was a mistake to play Percival without Peyroux being available to stand in for him. A player coming back from injury must always be a risk.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m generally in agreement with you. Players vary in ability and that won’t change and, within the constraints of the cap, we have one of the best teams.

But, I think it was a mistake to play Percival without Peyroux being available to stand in for him. A player coming back from injury must always be a risk.
    I don’t think Peyroux would be a good replacement for Percy as he can have game’s were his tackling is dodgy. I would hope Josh Simm will be replacing Percy or id like to see Batchelor given a runout.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I don’t think Peyroux would be a good replacement for Percy as he can have game’s were his tackling is dodgy. I would hope Josh Simm will be replacing Percy or id like to see Batchelor given a runout.
    I'm not 100%, but I think Batchelor played most of the season at centre the year before we signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post

This is it exactly, there wasn't a contingency plan established in bringing Percival back in case of repeat injury or fatigue. Its not good enough to say we were in chaos when he limped off. It's simply not good enough to pick a 13+4 and not have a plan in place for the loss of each and every player leaving the fray let alone a repeat hamstring casualty. This is pro sport it's unacceptable and is basically negligence or a failure in capability. Either one means the high jump. If one of my managers at work had brought a manufacturing line back into production following major refurb without a plan in place and it ran for 15 mins then failed again with known faults prior to shutdown his arse wouldn't touch. It's simply a case of placing reasonable expectations in someone supposedly in control. It's not looking for fault, this isn't a kick about on Sunday morning, it's business with jobs at stake and we're being short changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played centre at York and i think he finished the top divisional try scorer

Wasn’t the contingency plan to put Bentley there? He has played centre there in the past and people on this forum were suggesting him in place of Kev if he got suspended ( rather than Simm). You then have LMS and/or Knowles to play second row in place of Bentley. What you couldn’t really have foreseen was another injured player going off in the three quarters ( Welsby)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Percival was in full training for almost two weeks. The medical staff, coaching staff and player will have been confident he wouldn't breakdown and will have put him through every test possible to make sure he was fit to play and with that in mind will have picked what they believed was the strongest team for the Wire game. You shouldn't just pick a team to cover for a potential injury if you believe someone is 100% for, which Saints obviously thought with Percival, you pick the strongest team.

I'd have personally picked Peyroux on the bench (I said it earlier in the thread) for two reasons 1). His ability to cover a few positions and 2). I believe he is in better form that Lees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Wasn’t the contingency plan to put Bentley there? He has played centre there in the past and people on this forum were suggesting him in place of Kev if he got suspended ( rather than Simm). You then have LMS and/or Knowles to play second row in place of Bentley. What you couldn’t really have foreseen was another injured player going off in the three quarters ( Welsby)
    Fine if that's the case, but there can be no complaints for when Bentley got moved and left holes. The common view is we ended in chaos before half time. Thee should be no chaos, it should be planned & Bentley shouldn't leave a hole. It's as if all of this just happens down to bad luck, as I've said Firethorn up it bad planning not bad luck. He has to show a level of due diligence that for the life of me I can't see any sign of. We're supposed to be Champions not making up the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Percival was in full training for almost two weeks. The medical staff, coaching staff and player will have been confident he wouldn't breakdown and will have put him through every test possible to make sure he was fit to play and with that in mind will have picked what they believed was the strongest team for the Wire game. You shouldn't just pick a team to cover for a potential injury if you believe someone is 100% for, which Saints obviously thought with Percival, you pick the strongest team.

I'd have personally picked Peyroux on the bench (I said it earlier in the thread) for two reasons 1). His ability to cover a few positions and 2). I believe he is in better form that Lees.
    And I believe yours to be a credible plan which would have likely prevented the flat spin, it's certainly a better plan than the one derived by the coach, to mine (and your) mind anyway.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    I will agree that it was close on the scoreboard but half time came at just the right time for us, Ratchford missed two conversions and they were pulled for a forward pass that was marginal at best with Mamo in untouched. We were not handed our arse but we looked second best apart from the opening 17 mins. In the second half before Walmsley got back on, we were being slightly mauled down the middle and giving set restarts, Alex was needed then. Theo who many think is not creative? spotted the blindside for a try and the Austin tackle on Regan was very good.
    Bentley has not got enough acceleration to play centre against quick lads, when we used to have four forwards on the bench Gilmour or Anderson could cover there, we don`t have starting SR with that gas nowadays.
    Both sides at full strength I fancy us to do them but their second rows and centres will exploit any tiny weakness in a backline that is not quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I will agree that it was close on the scoreboard but half time came at just the right time for us, Ratchford missed two conversions and they were pulled for a forward pass that was marginal at best with Mamo in untouched. We were not handed our arse but we looked second best apart from the opening 17 mins. In the second half before Walmsley got back on, we were being slightly mauled down the middle and giving set restarts, Alex was needed then. Theo who many think is not creative? spotted the blindside for a try and the Austin tackle on Regan was very good.
    Bentley has not got enough acceleration to play centre against quick lads, when we used to have four forwards on the bench Gilmour or Anderson could cover there, we don`t have starting SR with that gas nowadays.
    Both sides at full strength I fancy us to do them but their second rows and centres will exploit any tiny weakness in a backline that is not quick.
    Gilmour on the bench. Nowadays he would be starting at centre or SR for almost any SL team