Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball grabbing

Learning All The Songs

Default Ball grabbing

What's the deal.

2x more clear incidents this weekend?

Is it just something that has always happened but because Tommy has been banned everyone is now reporting it...? It's not something I've really seen before.
    I rememeber Leon Pryce doing it to Burgess but got the impression that was banter between them....

In The South Stand

It's a bit odd. I think Sky are sly with it. Some clubs they'll do 11 replays from 9 angles and talk about it all day. Others they will do one angle once and barely mention it, like tonight.

It still really winds me up that people like Carney and Wells with clear bias in their opinions are allowed to highlight incidents. Another thing they need to change is the constant replays when a player is down with an injury. If the ref doesn't give it, they shouldn't be re-refereeing the play up to it on video. They wouldn't do that for all the other plays

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's a bit odd. I think Sky are sly with it. Some clubs they'll do 11 replays from 9 angles and talk about it all day. Others they will do one angle once and barely mention it, like tonight.
    Agree with this. Sky got Matty Lees sent off at Salford the other year, for me. Thought it was about to happen again with the Naiqama tackle.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Agree with this. Sky got Matty Lees sent off at Salford the other year, for me. Thought it was about to happen again with the Naiqama tackle.
    Then that gobshite Wells got called out on live tv by Carney saying he thought it was a red card off camera , but when pushed he danced around the issue.

I have no issue with commentators having opinions on incidents / talking points that happen during the game. But I do feel they are trying to sway the refs decisions at times.

Wells also needs to pick where his loyalties lay. Either with Cas or with Sky sports. Pick one and leave the other.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

They had Kev hung, drawn and quartered after the game, doing their best to make a big deal of it. In truth it was maybe worthy of a sin-bin but you see those tackles every week and they get nothing more than a penalty.
    The post-match inquest wouldn't of been so bad had they not glossed over that scumbag Lineham's grab of the Foster's apples the night before. And , surprise surprise, we play them in the Cup next week.
    Their bias is completely outrageous and wouldn't be allowed in any credible, professional sporting production.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    They had Kev hung, drawn and quartered after the game, doing their best to make a big deal of it. In truth it was maybe worthy of a sin-bin but you see those tackles every week and they get nothing more than a penalty.
    The post-match inquest wouldn't of been so bad had they not glossed over that scumbag Lineham's grab of the Foster's apples the night before. And , surprise surprise, we play them in the Cup next week.
    Their bias is completely outrageous and wouldn't be allowed in any credible, professional sporting production.
    I hope the disciplinary don't replay the incident with the commentary switched on otherwise it might be a 2 game ban coming his way. The commentators seemed to ignore the head clash with Graham's thigh and went full guns on the swinging arm.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I’m a Lineham fan, but if he is banned it could do Price a favour, allows Ratchford back to full back and Ashton on the wing.
    As far as the incident itself was concerned, I didn’t see any replays but the angle I saw was nowhere near as definitive as Makinsons’s. If anyone has a clip I’d be grateful for a further viewing.
    Any views on the knee to Austin’s head, which seemed clear cut but no action by the ref/video ref.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I hope the disciplinary don't replay the incident with the commentary switched on otherwise it might be a 2 game ban coming his way. The commentators seemed to ignore the head clash with Graham's thigh and went full guns on the swinging arm.
    Let's face it the panel members were likely to have been watching live. (at least some of them if they are RL people). So they will have heard it already and have already been influenced.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I’m a Lineham fan, but if he is banned it could do Price a favour, allows Ratchford back to full back and Ashton on the wing.
    As far as the incident itself was concerned, I didn’t see any replays but the angle I saw was nowhere near as definitive as Makinsons’s. If anyone has a clip I’d be grateful for a further viewing.
    Any views on the knee to Austin’s head, which seemed clear cut but no action by the ref/video ref.
    I couldn’t see the knee making contact with the head despite some of the commentary claims. I haven’t watched it back but am sure that I saw Austin’s forehead smack into the turf.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I couldn’t see the knee making contact with the head despite some of the commentary claims. I haven’t watched it back but am sure that I saw Austin’s forehead smack into the turf.
    Plus he's well known for his amateur dramatics.

The boy who cried wolf and all that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Watched the replay of the supposed knees to the heag a few times. You couldn't see whether or not he got him with the knees.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I don’t know the rules on sliding in to ‘prevent a try’ but it’s certainly dangerous play to slide in with your knees, surely if your trying to stop the ball being grounded you dive in with your hands? What I was confused about is that Austin was clearly out cold and they didn’t even take him off for a HIA.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I don’t know the rules on sliding in to ‘prevent a try’ but it’s certainly dangerous play to slide in with your knees, surely if your trying to stop the ball being grounded you dive in with your hands? What I was confused about is that Austin was clearly out cold and they didn’t even take him off for a HIA.
    He has been clearly out cold a couple of times, until he gets the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

It still really winds me up that people like Carney and Wells with clear bias in their opinions are allowed to highlight incidents. Another thing they need to change is the constant replays when a player is down with an injury. If the ref doesn't give it, they shouldn't be re-refereeing the play up to it on video. They wouldn't do that for all the other plays
    Dead right!
    It is a capital offence when our Tommy does it.
    I bet that hull player does not gey 5 games on Tuesday

Starting A Programme Collection

They all hung Tommy out to dry, wonder what will lineham and the hull man will get. The sky crew were very quiet about these two, but you would think tommy had done a murder the way they castrated him. Bloodyclowns.

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    They all hung Tommy out to dry, wonder what will lineham and the hull man will get. The sky crew were very quiet about these two, but you would think tommy had done a murder the way they castrated him. Bloodyclowns.
    Regardless Tommy did wrong and he’s doing his time. Let it go.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Off topic. Is it just me or are more and more players going down injured when their team are defending their own try line, only to get up 2 minutes later completely fine once their teammates have had a breather????
    Do we need a new rule whereby ANY player who goes down injured when defending within their own 20 metres must leave the field for a period of time, 5 or 10 minutes?? At least then we would know whether players are genuinely hurt or just taking the p***.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Off topic. Is it just me or are more and more players going down injured when their team are defending their own try line, only to get up 2 minutes later completely fine once their teammates have had a breather????
    Do we need a new rule whereby ANY player who goes down injured when defending within their own 20 metres must leave the field for a period of time, 5 or 10 minutes?? At least then we would know whether players are genuinely hurt or just taking the p***.
    It clearly goes on but a requirement that the player leaves the field would penalise players who have had genuine knocks or who need genuine head/neck assessments.

What is suspicious in Austin’s case is that (as highlighted by The Wee Waa Womble’s post) he was apparently unconscious and yet not taken off for a HIA. If that type of incident isn’t within the remit of the match review panel it should be.

No it's not just you. I don't know whether having to leave the field is correct but it is worthy of discussion.

IMO it should be an automatic HIA or a yellow. So the cheater has a choice.
    But the yoiksher mafia in Redhall don't see it as a problem

I wonder why............?

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    IMO it should be an automatic HIA or a yellow. So the cheater has a choice.
    But the yoiksher mafia in Redhall don't see it as a problem

I wonder why............?
    I think that might be a bit harsh to someone that say gets winded. But I wouldn't mind if, a defending player goes down injured and is not taken off after the game is stopped, the attacking team to get an extra tackle or two.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think that might be a bit harsh to someone that say gets winded. But I wouldn't mind if, a defending player goes down injured and is not taken off after the game is stopped, the attacking team to get an extra tackle or two.
    That sounds like a plan. To an extent it would allow attacking momentum to build again.

P. S. At least two extra tackles would possibly stop The gamesmanship.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 14th September 2020 at 09:18. Reason: P. S.

We do have a rule like that for drop outs etc already, I've just never seen it enforced!

https://www.totalrl.com/heres-what-w...ut-shot-clock/

Got A Season Ticket

Just a thought but could it be that "squirrel tackles" have always taken place but because most matches are not live they do not have the cameras to see from every angle.

Since all games after the restart are shown live Sky have lots of cameras there and any inappropriate contact is more easily spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City Saint View Post
    Just a thought but could it be that "squirrel tackles" have always taken place but because most matches are not live they do not have the cameras to see from every angle.

Since all games after the restart are shown live Sky have lots of cameras there and any inappropriate contact is more easily spotted.
    I think all of the recent cases have come from the player complaining, rather than the cameras. The fact that there is a camera may make the players more likely to complain.