Jungle Out There Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 126

Thread: Disciplinary

  1. #101
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,825
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Biggest threat to Saints from what ive seen so far is the defence being poor under high kicks. Austin puts lots of innocuous looking ones up that they score from.

  2. #102
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Welsby will be on our right and so marking Charnley. Regan will be the one up against the Pig's replacement.
    Charley plays on the right side so unless were swapping Grace to our right theyll be facing each other !

  3. #103
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    891
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Biggest threat to Saints from what ive seen so far is the defence being poor under high kicks. Austin puts lots of innocuous looking ones up that they score from.
    Warrington backs won't be seeing much ball as our forwards will be on top from the kick off. Wire have a few players who will be gassing pretty early on.

  4. #104
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Unlike the CC Final our team is fit and ready, but questions remain over whether Percy plays (I hope so) and Welsby's performance on the wing. He will be marking a speed merchant if they play Ashton there. I am quietly confident so long as Hicks is not the ref.
    I hope he is fit but we don't need him charging in at BMM, he may target Percy.

  5. #105
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,000
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Warrington will play it up the middle for the first 20 mins of the game so we will have to match them, if we don't then we lose composure trying to get the ball out to the edges and our ball retention goes under 50%. Walmsley mentions on his pre match interview that they have to match them in the middle so that our backs have as much opportunities as possible. The key for me is to put someone on Austin so that is kicking game is rushed and space is in short supply.
    We battered them down the middle at Wembley in the first 20 mins we lost, Austin did not play in that match.
    The two first two SL games we played them last year Austin played we won, Knowles did a job on him, he is due a big game against us but I think we have his number.
    Close to the line we seem to be devoid of ideas if we don`t bully our way over, that is my concern.
    If we don`t score from early possession we become anxious and so do I.

  6. #106
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,254
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    I'm struggling to understand the correlation between us being devoid of attacking ideas and our far superior points difference?
    Our three-quarters have been a bit depleted but I'm thinking we don't seem to be struggling to score most weeks.

  7. #107
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the correlation between us being devoid of attacking ideas and our far superior points difference?
    Our three-quarters have been a bit depleted but I'm thinking we don't seem to be struggling to score most weeks.
    It seems that we can score from everywhere save for when we're within the 10m line unless Walmsley barges over. Maybe it's simply a perception but we don't seem to have the guile necessary from close in, I agree with the previous poster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,646
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    It seems that we can score from everywhere save for when we're within the 10m line unless Walmsley barges over. Maybe it's simply a perception but we don't seem to have the guile necessary from close in, I agree with the previous poster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that is a fair comment to be honest. Hull KR was a fine example - their defence early on in the game was fantastic, but given how we were essentially camped in their own end for a good 15-20 minutes, it was slightly concerning that we couldn't break them down and have any set plays up our sleeve within 10 metres of their line.

    Knowlesy will have Austin in his sights I imagine and has done a cracking job in previous games in regards to shutting him down. Warrington will be rough and tough up the middle but if our lads get on top in the pack early on, I fancy us.

  9. #109
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,667
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I think that is a fair comment to be honest. Hull KR was a fine example - their defence early on in the game was fantastic, but given how we were essentially camped in their own end for a good 15-20 minutes, it was slightly concerning that we couldn't break them down and have any set plays up our sleeve within 10 metres of their line.

    Knowlesy will have Austin in his sights I imagine and has done a cracking job in previous games in regards to shutting him down. Warrington will be rough and tough up the middle but if our lads get on top in the pack early on, I fancy us.
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.

  10. #110
    Got A Season Ticket palmorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Agree entirely mate. One hundred percent.
    I wish Lineham was playing - hes shit and if you were back in your playing days you d have dropped his attitude like a short whisky. Probably have hit him where the button on the chin says asleep. Wed have loved to play against a like that. Proper spear tackle candidate.
    Well said!
    I too would like the fat pig to be playing. He is overrated and he is a penalty machine.
    Wanky are worse with him on the field.

  11. #111
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.
    I suppose the question is who comes up these the new ideas or variations on a theme? Point being some players can invent things off the cuff, not sure we have anyone capable of doing it unless they're told to stick to a plan. An observant opposition coach will know our set plays as well as our players do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #112
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.
    We struggle when the opposition has a quick line speed helped by a skinny 10 metres and we persist with a flat attack, thats when we lose composure, push that pass and our completion rate drops. The 6 again rule alleviates some of that with a restart and opposition energy levels drop but thats the same for both teams, a high intensity game relying on fitness might go in our favour but not by much.

    Our set plays have been very much replaced by support plays since lockdown because its a more hectic type of game these days, the one thing we need to be smart on is giving too many penalties away when we are under the cosh thats something what Woolf mentions on a regular basis.

  13. #113
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I suppose the question is who comes up these the new ideas or variations on a theme? Point being some players can invent things off the cuff, not sure we have anyone capable of doing it unless they're told to stick to a plan. An observant opposition coach will know our set plays as well as our players do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that this is where we are missing Sean Long.

  14. #114
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,234
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We struggle when the opposition has a quick line speed helped by a skinny 10 metres and we persist with a flat attack, thats when we lose composure, push that pass and our completion rate drops. The 6 again rule alleviates some of that with a restart and opposition energy levels drop but thats the same for both teams, a high intensity game relying on fitness might go in our favour but not by much.

    Our set plays have been very much replaced by support plays since lockdown because its a more hectic type of game these days, the one thing we need to be smart on is giving too many penalties away when we are under the cosh thats something what Woolf mentions on a regular basis.

    That is a perfect summary.

    I just hope the rules on holding down are applied strongly and consistently, and offside enforced similarly. Unless the opposition cheats (and the ref is too weak/biased to stamp on that), we are better than any other side in the competition.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  15. #115
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think that this is where we are missing Sean Long.
    I agree, plus that kind of thing not being Fages' strong point.

  16. #116
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That is a perfect summary.

    I just hope the rules on holding down are applied strongly and consistently, and offside enforced similarly. Unless the opposition cheats (and the ref is too weak/biased to stamp on that), we are better than any other side in the competition.
    I would like to see refs do that every week. the PTB just gets slower by the week. You see sides offsides, play after play and maybe they get pulled up twice a game.

  17. #117
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree, plus that kind of thing not being Fages' strong point.
    I think this was my point, we don't have that type of player in our armoury, it's all very easy to read and tends to be repeat sets doing exactly the same thing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #118
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That is a perfect summary.

    I just hope the rules on holding down are applied strongly and consistently, and offside enforced similarly. Unless the opposition cheats (and the ref is too weak/biased to stamp on that), we are better than any other side in the competition.
    Have you forgotten your WWF tactics pre lockdown?

  19. #119
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,234
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Have you forgotten your WWF tactics pre lockdown?
    Yeah, they were shit. They made us play shit. And everyone on here wanted them binned (and half wanted Woolf binned with them)
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  20. #120
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Unlike the CC Final our team is fit and ready, but questions remain over whether Percy plays (I hope so) and Welsby's performance on the wing. He will be marking a speed merchant if they play Ashton there. I am quietly confident so long as Hicks is not the ref.
    Hicks is reffing ................... the Hull FC v Wigan match!
    Chris Kendall is the ref for Saints v Wolves.

  21. #121
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    1,993
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Have you forgotten your WWF tactics pre lockdown?
    Take a read from your latest failed signings exit interview. Luther reckons the amount of wrestling he’s been involved in at Warrington would stand him in good stead for the WWE if he can’t get a gig back in yawnion.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...n-rugby-league

  22. #122
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Could have been a lot worse than Kendall. Just fair reffing that’s what we want..

  23. #123
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,565
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Have you forgotten your WWF tactics pre lockdown?
    Exact quote from star signing Luther: "Defensively, I've done a lot of wrestling over the past 18 months, I feel like I could go into WWE and start a new career. These things can only benefit me moving forward."

  24. #124
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Exact quote from star signing Luther: "Defensively, I've done a lot of wrestling over the past 18 months, I feel like I could go into WWE and start a new career. These things can only benefit me moving forward."
    A general fact of RL but your team were one of the biggest culprits pre lockdown, and judging by the Hull KR match it’s creeping back.
    Having said all that I’m really looking forward to this afternoon’s match. Think it’s too close to call. We pulled off that last minute win against Cas, with a very under strength pack, the question is will the rest have benefitted the returnees? Still no Widdop so halfback is debatable I’m hoping Ratchford is at full back where he is far more effective, Ashton on the wing.
    You must be as close to full strength as makes no difference.
    “Let’s get ready to RUMBLE!”

  25. #125
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    A general fact of RL but your team were one of the biggest culprits pre lockdown, and judging by the Hull KR match it’s creeping back.
    Having said all that I’m really looking forward to this afternoon’s match. Think it’s too close to call. We pulled off that last minute win against Cas, with a very under strength pack, the question is will the rest have benefitted the returnees? Still no Widdop so halfback is debatable I’m hoping Ratchford is at full back where he is far more effective, Ashton on the wing.
    You must be as close to full strength as makes no difference.
    “Let’s get ready to RUMBLE!”
    No one is arguing we were for about 4 games unlike other teams that have based their game on it for years. You'll find very few on here who are a fan of it and if Woolf starts that carry on again he'll soon find he's back under pressure, it's just how it is at a big with fans who expect the game to played a certain way.

    I agree with you though, it's too close to call although the bookies don't see it that way. I have to say, I've generally enjoyed most games since lockdown but this is the first one I'm excited about since our first game back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •