Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Disciplinary

Learning All The Songs

Biggest threat to Saints from what ive seen so far is the defence being poor under high kicks. Austin puts lots of innocuous looking ones up that they score from.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Welsby will be on our right and so marking Charnley. Regan will be the one up against the Pig's replacement.
    Charley plays on the right side so unless we’re swapping Grace to our right they’ll be facing each other !

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Biggest threat to Saints from what ive seen so far is the defence being poor under high kicks. Austin puts lots of innocuous looking ones up that they score from.
    Warrington backs won't be seeing much ball as our forwards will be on top from the kick off. Wire have a few players who will be gassing pretty early on.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Unlike the CC Final our team is fit and ready, but questions remain over whether Percy plays (I hope so) and Welsby's performance on the wing. He will be marking a speed merchant if they play Ashton there. I am quietly confident so long as Hicks is not the ref.
    I hope he is fit but we don't need him charging in at BMM, he may target Percy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Warrington will play it up the middle for the first 20 mins of the game so we will have to match them, if we don't then we lose composure trying to get the ball out to the edges and our ball retention goes under 50%. Walmsley mentions on his pre match interview that they have to match them in the middle so that our backs have as much opportunities as possible. The key for me is to put someone on Austin so that is kicking game is rushed and space is in short supply.
    We battered them down the middle at Wembley in the first 20 mins we lost, Austin did not play in that match.
    The two first two SL games we played them last year Austin played we won, Knowles did a job on him, he is due a big game against us but I think we have his number.
    Close to the line we seem to be devoid of ideas if we don`t bully our way over, that is my concern.
    If we don`t score from early possession we become anxious and so do I.

I'm struggling to understand the correlation between us being devoid of attacking ideas and our far superior points difference?
    Our three-quarters have been a bit depleted but I'm thinking we don't seem to be struggling to score most weeks.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the correlation between us being devoid of attacking ideas and our far superior points difference?
    Our three-quarters have been a bit depleted but I'm thinking we don't seem to be struggling to score most weeks.
    It seems that we can score from everywhere save for when we're within the 10m line unless Walmsley barges over. Maybe it's simply a perception but we don't seem to have the guile necessary from close in, I agree with the previous poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    It seems that we can score from everywhere save for when we're within the 10m line unless Walmsley barges over. Maybe it's simply a perception but we don't seem to have the guile necessary from close in, I agree with the previous poster.

I think that is a fair comment to be honest. Hull KR was a fine example - their defence early on in the game was fantastic, but given how we were essentially camped in their own end for a good 15-20 minutes, it was slightly concerning that we couldn't break them down and have any set plays up our sleeve within 10 metres of their line.

Knowlesy will have Austin in his sights I imagine and has done a cracking job in previous games in regards to shutting him down. Warrington will be rough and tough up the middle but if our lads get on top in the pack early on, I fancy us.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I think that is a fair comment to be honest. Hull KR was a fine example - their defence early on in the game was fantastic, but given how we were essentially camped in their own end for a good 15-20 minutes, it was slightly concerning that we couldn't break them down and have any set plays up our sleeve within 10 metres of their line.

Knowlesy will have Austin in his sights I imagine and has done a cracking job in previous games in regards to shutting him down. Warrington will be rough and tough up the middle but if our lads get on top in the pack early on, I fancy us.
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Agree entirely mate. One hundred percent.
    I wish Lineham was playing - he’s shit and if you were back in your playing days you d have dropped his attitude like a short whisky. Probably have hit him where the button on the chin says asleep. We’d have loved to play against a •••• like that. Proper spear tackle candidate.
    Well said!
    I too would like the fat pig to be playing. He is overrated and he is a penalty machine.
    Wanky are worse with him on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think we did try some set plays but they were anticipating them and defended well. We need some new ideas in attack.
    I suppose the question is who comes up these the new ideas or variations on a theme? Point being some players can invent things off the cuff, not sure we have anyone capable of doing it unless they're told to stick to a plan. An observant opposition coach will know our set plays as well as our players do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We struggle when the opposition has a quick line speed helped by a skinny 10 metres and we persist with a flat attack, thats when we lose composure, push that pass and our completion rate drops. The 6 again rule alleviates some of that with a restart and opposition energy levels drop but thats the same for both teams, a high intensity game relying on fitness might go in our favour but not by much.

Our set plays have been very much replaced by support plays since lockdown because its a more hectic type of game these days, the one thing we need to be smart on is giving too many penalties away when we are under the cosh thats something what Woolf mentions on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I suppose the question is who comes up these the new ideas or variations on a theme? Point being some players can invent things off the cuff, not sure we have anyone capable of doing it unless they're told to stick to a plan. An observant opposition coach will know our set plays as well as our players do.

I think that this is where we are missing Sean Long.

Banned

We struggle when the opposition has a quick line speed helped by a skinny 10 metres and we persist with a flat attack, thats when we lose composure, push that pass and our completion rate drops. The 6 again rule alleviates some of that with a restart and opposition energy levels drop but thats the same for both teams, a high intensity game relying on fitness might go in our favour but not by much.

Our set plays have been very much replaced by support plays since lockdown because its a more hectic type of game these days, the one thing we need to be smart on is giving too many penalties away when we are under the cosh thats something what Woolf mentions on a regular basis.

That is a perfect summary.

I just hope the rules on holding down are applied strongly and consistently, and offside enforced similarly. Unless the opposition cheats (and the ref is too weak/biased to stamp on that), we are better than any other side in the competition.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think that this is where we are missing Sean Long.
    I agree, plus that kind of thing not being Fages' strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I just hope the rules on holding down are applied strongly and consistently, and offside enforced similarly. Unless the opposition cheats (and the ref is too weak/biased to stamp on that), we are better than any other side in the competition.
    I would like to see refs do that every week. the PTB just gets slower by the week. You see sides offsides, play after play and maybe they get pulled up twice a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree, plus that kind of thing not being Fages' strong point.
    I think this was my point, we don't have that type of player in our armoury, it's all very easy to read and tends to be repeat sets doing exactly the same thing.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Have you forgotten your WWF tactics pre lockdown?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Yeah, they were shit. They made us play shit. And everyone on here wanted them binned (and half wanted Woolf binned with them)

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Unlike the CC Final our team is fit and ready, but questions remain over whether Percy plays (I hope so) and Welsby's performance on the wing. He will be marking a speed merchant if they play Ashton there. I am quietly confident so long as Hicks is not the ref.
    Hicks is reffing ................... the Hull FC v Wigan match!
    Chris Kendall is the ref for Saints v Wolves.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Take a read from your latest failed signings exit interview. Luther reckons the amount of wrestling he’s been involved in at Warrington would stand him in good stead for the WWE if he can’t get a gig back in yawnion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...n-rugby-league

Could have been a lot worse than Kendall. Just fair reffing that’s what we want..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Exact quote from star signing Luther: "Defensively, I've done a lot of wrestling over the past 18 months, I feel like I could go into WWE and start a new career. These things can only benefit me moving forward."

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Exact quote from star signing Luther: "Defensively, I've done a lot of wrestling over the past 18 months, I feel like I could go into WWE and start a new career. These things can only benefit me moving forward."
    A general fact of RL but your team were one of the biggest culprits pre lockdown, and judging by the Hull KR match it’s creeping back.
    Having said all that I’m really looking forward to this afternoon’s match. Think it’s too close to call. We pulled off that last minute win against Cas, with a very under strength pack, the question is will the rest have benefitted the returnees? Still no Widdop so halfback is debatable I’m hoping Ratchford is at full back where he is far more effective, Ashton on the wing.
    You must be as close to full strength as makes no difference.
    “Let’s get ready to RUMBLE!”

Banned

A general fact of RL but your team were one of the biggest culprits pre lockdown, and judging by the Hull KR match it’s creeping back.
    Having said all that I’m really looking forward to this afternoon’s match. Think it’s too close to call. We pulled off that last minute win against Cas, with a very under strength pack, the question is will the rest have benefitted the returnees? Still no Widdop so halfback is debatable I’m hoping Ratchford is at full back where he is far more effective, Ashton on the wing.
    You must be as close to full strength as makes no difference.
    “Let’s get ready to RUMBLE!”
    No one is arguing we were for about 4 games unlike other teams that have based their game on it for years. You'll find very few on here who are a fan of it and if Woolf starts that carry on again he'll soon find he's back under pressure, it's just how it is at a big with fans who expect the game to played a certain way.

I agree with you though, it's too close to call although the bookies don't see it that way. I have to say, I've generally enjoyed most games since lockdown but this is the first one I'm excited about since our first game back.