Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Gareth Ellis

Learning All The Songs

Default Gareth Ellis

The BBC have a podcast about Gareth with a title of Life and times of a Legend.

Now i think Gareth has been a great pro but would you call him a legend? Legend and world class gets mentioned to often for me and as good as Gareth was/is he's no Legend to me.

In The South Stand

I wouldn't, but he never played for Saints, so that's why. If you asked Leeds, Wests Tigers or Hull fans I bet they'd be full of praise for him.

In terms of a playing career there genuinely aren't many who had a better career. He won Grand Finals for Leeds before moving to the NRL and was Wests Tigers player of the year three years in a row. Tim Sheens called him the best signing the club had ever made.

He then came back and has been superb for Hull. He was one of the real driving forces behind them winning the Cup Finals they did.

If you've had a better career than Ellis, you're probably in the elite category and one of the world's greatest ever players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I wouldn't, but he never played for Saints, so that's why. If you asked Leeds, Wests Tigers or Hull fans I bet they'd be full of praise for him.

In terms of a playing career there genuinely aren't many who had a better career. He won Grand Finals for Leeds before moving to the NRL and was Wests Tigers player of the year three years in a row. Tim Sheens called him the best signing the club had ever made.

He then came back and has been superb for Hull. He was one of the real driving forces behind them winning the Cup Finals they did.

If you've had a better career than Ellis, you're probably in the elite category and one of the world's greatest ever players.
    I agree. He was certainly world class in his "pomp" and was a leading performer in the NRL for a few years. He was steady if unspectacular when he first came to Hull but no doubt had a massive influence on their side. Probably similar in a way to what Graham is doing for us at the moment in a way.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I remember a game at LP where Hull beat us. Ellis was playing in the front row and he dished out some unbelievable punishment to our pack that day. I think that was when I understood the fuss about him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Legend and world class can be two different things though. If you define world class as being one of the best half dozen or so in your position then he was definitely world class in his peak years. But whether that makes him a legend I've no idea, because the word can mean different things. I would not argue with people saying the likes of Sinfield are legends but I don't think he was world class, whilst you can argue that Ben Barba was world class for a few years, but he's never going to be a legend.

Ellis may be a legend for the clubs he played for, that's fair enough, but throughout the game he's well behind the likes of Peacock, Sculthorpe, etc IMO in terms of his standing and historical legacy etc.

Learning All The Songs

Gareth Ellis may have been a legend at the clubs he played at, but i dont see him as anything other than a great of the game, legends tend to transcend the sport and change it for the better, players like Scully, Peacock, Farrell and Sinfield are legends, they changed the sport with the way they played, can you say Ellis did that?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Definitely a legend in my eyes taking the saints specs off, this bloke has played more than 500 games and scored nearly 200 tries. The problem is that he has been phenomenal away from UK shores and his best rugby has been in the NRL, I would put him in the same class as Sam Burgess and James Graham who all play it really tough and doesn't resort to any dirty play tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Definitely a legend in my eyes taking the saints specs off, this bloke has played more than 500 games and scored nearly 200 tries. The problem is that he has been phenomenal away from UK shores and his best rugby has been in the NRL, I would put him in the same class as Sam Burgess and James Graham who all play it really tough and doesn't resort to any dirty play tactics.
    Not that it matters much but those try scoring stats aren’t right mate. His Wikipedia page is wrong and has about 100 tries too many haha

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Not that it matters much but those try scoring stats aren’t right mate. His Wikipedia page is wrong and has about 100 tries too many haha
    Your right about 440 games and 90 tries, just listening to his podcast now with Dave Woods.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    The BBC have a podcast about Gareth with a title of Life and times of a Legend.

Now i think Gareth has been a great pro but would you call him a legend? Legend and world class gets mentioned to often for me and as good as Gareth was/is he's no Legend to me.
    One of the best of his era. Legend may be a bit strong, but it's one of those words that is a throwaway these days. Still he was a very good player.

Learning All The Songs

Very fine player indeed. Wish he'd played for Saints

Starting A Programme Collection

top player yes, legend not for me (but I never supported a team he played for)

For me legends are people like murphy, boston, karalius. Ellis has had a brilliant career but if you picked an all time british team would he be anywhere near it?

Then again I doubt neither would wellens and he is a saints legend so maybe I'm being overly harsh on him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The Wiki page includes his school and junior stats

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Well sumats worked

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

It appears the medication is working, a very good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The Wiki page includes his school and junior stats
    It says he’s scored over 100 tries for Hull, that’s the bit with the mistake I meant.

Learning All The Songs

Along with KC he regularly gets voted in players top 5 toughest opponents, yet goes under opposition fans opinion.
    A few shrewd fans on here have pointed out what he gives to his team and does to other players in defence.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think the word legend is automatically associated with players of yesteryear. Theirs definitely an element of nostalgia when people talk about sporting legends. He may not be a legend, but then who playing now is? He’s definitely a nominee. Hasn't he played across 4 decades? He went over to the NRL and was West Tigers best player 2 seasons in a row and the best second rower over there at that time. Started off as a prolific centre for Wakefield and developed into a very good second rower.

Do i consider him a legend? I honestly don’t know. Bloody good player though!!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think the word legend is automatically associated with players of yesteryear. Theirs definitely an element of nostalgia when people talk about sporting legends. He may not be a legend, but then who playing now is? He’s definitely a nominee. Hasn't he played across 4 decades? He went over to the NRL and was West Tigers best player 2 seasons in a row and the best second rower over there at that time. Started off as a prolific centre for Wakefield and developed into a very good second rower.

Do i consider him a legend? I honestly don’t know. Bloody good player though!!!
    Currently the one SL player playing now that constitutes a legend has to be James Roby

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Brilliant professional.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would