Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC players

In The South Stand

Another year of LMS and Amor? What have we done to deserve that?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Yeh I can see the logic of keeping one of them around for their experience, but it does seem strange to keep both of them.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Yeh I can see the logic of keeping one of them around for their experience, but it does seem strange to keep both of them.
    Walmsley, Lees and LMS are our only confirmed props for next year assuming Ashworth does indeed leave. Even if we sign Paasi we still need at least one more and you won’t do better than Amor and LMS in super league as your 4th/5th choice props whether people like them or not. Signing both LMS and Amor for another year gives us time to look at other options and assess what moves we can make once the financial implications of Covid are fully realised.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Cost maybe?
    It's going to be a lean couple of years!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It might be the clubs appreciation that LMS can play anywhere in the pack whilst Amor is just confined to being our 4/5 th prop. Both are still playing OK as well, good enough for one more season.

Good to see LMS next year, as Woolf says, he's one of the hardest workers in the club.

In The South Stand

I’d rather go with Batchelor as the fifth prop behind Walmsley, Lees, Amor or LMS and Paasi than keeping on both Amor and LMS. Batchelor offers a younger alternative and more versatility than Amor and is a younger alternative to LMS, who can cover a couple of positions when we’re really short mid-game.

I’d rather go with Batchelor as the fifth prop behind Walmsley, Lees, Amor or LMS and Paasi than keeping on both Amor and LMS. Batchelor offers a younger alternative and more versatility than Amor and is a younger alternative to LMS, who can cover a couple of positions when we’re really short mid-game.
    Is he any good, though? And is he a prop? I’m not sure on either count based on what I’ve seen.

Learning All The Songs

Isn’t Bachelor a second rower or centre? He would need to bulk up to play prop surely!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Is he any good, though? And is he a prop? I’m not sure on either count based on what I’ve seen.
    Because he was named at prop against Salford people suddenly seem to think he’s a viable option there, despite never having played prop and actually playing loose forward in the Salford game. Now prop might end up being his best position, who knows? But if people genuinely think he’s a better option than LMS or Amor at this point they need to give their heads a good wobble.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Both players will be useful when we are 18+ points up against a Wakefield and short of some high fives.

In the big games not so much.

I don't see what they give that Batchelor and Norman wouldn't.
    Assuming on average money, they also take up and additional £140K(2*£70K) ,which could be used elsewhere.

Both have done their usual trick and gibbed another contract each, watch them make plenty of noise on social
    media while tanking on the field.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I don't see what they give that Batchelor and Norman wouldn't.
    Don't even know where to start with this.

Norman has never played in Super League and Batchelor has a handful of appearances for us. Batchelor isn't even a prop yet you're suggesting we replace two seasoned pros who have been good for us, won trophies with us and have lots of SL and big game experience and replace them with two inexperienced players who we don't even know are good enough to play at SL level, never mind for Saints.

I'm all for giving younger guys a chance but you shouldn't just weaken your squad just to throw someone in at the deep end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I am happily surprised by this. I thought given his age that this would be his last year. He is playing like he can carry on next year but so is Zeb. Having plenty of props is always a good thing.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Yeh it is a bit strange. They have both been good clubmen to be fair and hopefully can set a good example to the youngsters and new signings coming through. I have my doubts about that though because both players were in that group of Cunningham favourites happy to turn in sh***y performances and let KC hang the kids out to dry in press conferences.
    It looks a season too far for Scarsbrook. He’s strapped up all over. And Amor..........well Amor has always been shyte.
    We certainly don’t need both next year.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The West Stand

Given the choice I’d rather keep LMS over Amor for a one year extension, but at the same time I would still want another prop if we kept LMS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Don't even know where to start with this.

Norman has never played in Super League and Batchelor has a handful of appearances for us. Batchelor isn't even a prop yet you're suggesting we replace two seasoned pros who have been good for us, won trophies with us and have lots of SL and big game experience and replace them with two inexperienced players who we don't even know are good enough to play at SL level, never mind for Saints.

I'm all for giving younger guys a chance but you shouldn't just weaken your squad just to throw someone in at the deep end.
    Are you suggesting we keep players on out of sentiment and not based upon their performances of late, because it’s certainly coming across that way? LMS and Amor have had their peaks and their troughs, often depending on who we’re playing against. To re-sign both seems a poor option based off their performances this year and the fact they’ll be another year older next year.

Our front row lacks a real go forward, Walmsley aside. We’re hoping Lees rediscovers some form from 2019 still and hoping LMS and Amor can suddenly have more good games than bad against the top three or four sides next year at 35 and 34 years old and we’re bringing in Paasi, who’s all but sat out a year of his career.

Banned

It’s a no from me. He’s been an okay player for us, nothing more, nothing less but it was probably time to move him on.

I’m not entirely sure what his role is anymore. Is he a prop or is he a second row?

He’s been a brilliant high fiver and back slapper though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh it is a bit strange. They have both been good clubmen to be fair and hopefully can set a good example to the youngsters and new signings coming through. I have my doubts about that though because both players were in that group of Cunningham favourites happy to turn in sh***y performances and let KC hang the kids out to dry in press conferences.
    It looks a season too far for Scarsbrook. He’s strapped up all over. And Amor..........well Amor has always been shyte.
    We certainly don’t need both next year.
    I'm thinking that it may be better to phase each of their releases and not extend them both together. Just seems prudent that way.

Perfectly happy with LMS and Amor getting another year, as long as we are getting a front line explosive prop to give Walsmley more support. Hopefully that’s Paasi, but I’ve never seen him play so can’t say.

If Batchelor and Norman offer more than LMS and Amor then I’m sure they’ll push them out of the squad like Bentley has done to Peyroux.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I'm thinking that it may be better to phase each of their releases and not extend them both together. Just seems prudent that way.

So next year is our rebuilding year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Perfectly happy with LMS and Amor getting another year, as long as we are getting a front line explosive prop to give Walsmley more support. Hopefully that’s Paasi, but I’ve never seen him play so can’t say.

If Batchelor and Norman offer more than LMS and Amor then I’m sure they’ll push them out of the squad like Bentley has done to Peyroux.
    I think Iggy Paasi would complement big Al for us, it would be great if Saints got this prop over the line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6XBN_XygA

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    So next year is our rebuilding year?
    It looks like it's already under way, speculation rather than signed deals though for now, forwards only. I'd rather he leave the backs alone to be honest and leave that to someone who knows what they're doing when he's gone.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    I think Iggy Paasi would complement big Al for us, it would be great if Saints got this prop over the line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6XBN_XygA
    The way he uses his upper body strength and runs towards gaps he very much reminds me of George Mann.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Are you suggesting we keep players on out of sentiment and not based upon their performances of late, because it’s certainly coming across that way?
    No, I'm suggesting you don't weaken your squad.

If there were better players available on the market that can improve the squad in those positions then fair enough, but maybe there isn't right now. Post lockdown Amor has been our 2nd best prop and LMS always gives us something different from the bench.

At this stage, Norman and Batchelor are not better options for us than Amor and LMS and by releasing both of those players and replacing them with those two would make us weaker next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    It looks like it's already under way, speculation rather than signed deals though for now, forwards only. I'd rather he leave the backs alone to be honest and leave that to someone who knows what they're doing when he's gone.

Yes i agree!