Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC players

Learning All The Songs

Has Graham said 100& he is retiring. He looks like he has another year in him to me.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Has Graham said 100& he is retiring. He looks like he has another year in him to me.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Don’t think anything has been confirmed. There was a lot of talk that he had broadcasting roles back in Australia lined up for 2021 so he wouldn’t stay past the end of the season. Certainly worth another year if he wants one, I would hope the club are aware of his plans though so they can recruit/budget accordingly.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Don’t think anything has been confirmed. There was a lot of talk that he had broadcasting roles back in Australia lined up for 2021 so he wouldn’t stay past the end of the season. Certainly worth another year if he wants one, I would hope the club are aware of his plans though so they can recruit/budget accordingly.
    Yes, I agree. You would have thought that if he does have broadcasting work lined up in Aus then it wouldn't be the end of the world for him or the broadcaster to put that on hold for a year. I think I remember hearing that his daughter is pre-school age, and that might figure more heavily in his thinking. But if we could get him to do another year, playing in front of the Saints crowd, that would be great.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Yes, I agree. You would have thought that if he does have broadcasting work lined up in Aus then it wouldn't be the end of the world for him or the broadcaster to put that on hold for a year. I think I remember hearing that his daughter is pre-school age, and that might figure more heavily in his thinking. But if we could get him to do another year, playing in front of the Saints crowd, that would be great.
    Yes he did say that his daughter starts school in OZ end of January.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    A problem arises if the broadcaster has lined up a specific role for him, and they have to then give it to someone else. That might be on a temporary basis because they're leaving it open for Graham - but what if the temporary person excels and is well-liked? Unless Graham has a formal contract, they might not think they need him. He's got to think about his post-playing career. an extra 12 months at Saints, or a 3/5-year media contract that gets his foot onto that career ladder.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    A problem arises if the broadcaster has lined up a specific role for him, and they have to then give it to someone else. That might be on a temporary basis because they're leaving it open for Graham - but what if the temporary person excels and is well-liked? Unless Graham has a formal contract, they might not think they need him. He's got to think about his post-playing career. an extra 12 months at Saints, or a 3/5-year media contract that gets his foot onto that career ladder.
    He's also got to factor in that his daughter isn't going to be eaten by a shark in Carr Mill Dam or kidnapped by a huntsman spider whilst on the loo in Thatto Heath.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    He's also got to factor in that his daughter isn't going to be eaten by a shark in Carr Mill Dam or kidnapped by a huntsman spider whilst on the loo in Thatto Heath.
    Given the state of the water in CMD, I think I'd rather take my chances with a shark. And Thatto Heath contains far more dangerous things than a huntsman spider.

Learning All The Songs

I’d definitely give Amor a new one year deal, and id definitely let Peyroux go. I’m undecided on LMS though. If we could persuade Graham to stay for just one more year would be a big bonus.

Got A Season Ticket

Lee's long term? No thanks

Learning All The Songs

I know it's second hand and very tenuous, but I was talking to someone who had spoken to Coote. Apparently Coote will be leaving at the end of 2021. Whether that's set in stone or not, I don't know.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Your point about roby got me thinking of the last few years of kc. We new the end was near and tried a few things to prepare for his loss, but every time he played he showed what he still brought to the team even if it was just to inspire others around him
    Wellens and Wilkin said after KC retired they were trying to work out why teams were breaking us down in the middle early in matches.
    They concluded that Kieron was mopping up that area, also since then many now retired opposition have said they would not run at KC as he bent you in two in the tackle, these are things that as a spectator it is almost impossible to know or guage.
    Roby has been brilliant for us but does not put that kind of fear into the opposition. Jammer is a prop his main job is to make the hard yards he again has been brilliant at doing that or timing an astute pass just at the line, he no longer makes the hard yards his body is giving up on him.
    JP`s legs went in defence laterally but he still could put in the hard yards, Brian McDermott said the other younger lads enjoyed covering for him. Jammer is a luxury for our pack now that we cannot afford, his try against Leeds being one of the few times he has driven hard after impact as he promoted the ball for a try, when his shoulder and sternum were probably screaming stop, I don`t think he can do that too often these days, he may have a good 40 mins left for a GF if we keep him on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    I know it's second hand and very tenuous, but I was talking to someone who had spoken to Coote. Apparently Coote will be leaving at the end of 2021. Whether that's set in stone or not, I don't know.
    His contract is up at the end of next year.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

There was some Cas fans on Facebook when Evalds was announced for them convinced that he was doing one year with them and then coming to join us. Does seem odd as to why he would only sign on an initial one year deal for them unless he was keeping his options open. Maybe waiting to see if Coote stays beyond his current deal or not.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    There was some Cas fans on Facebook when Evalds was announced for them convinced that he was doing one year with them and then coming to join us. Does seem odd as to why he would only sign on an initial one year deal for them unless he was keeping his options open. Maybe waiting to see if Coote stays beyond his current deal or not.
    Think Evalds will be 30+ in a year's time. Can't see that.

Rumours that Coote will go at the end of his contract.

If that is the case then whoever gets signed NEED ABSOLUTELY TO HAVE PACE and be a running threat.

Good as Coote has been, a left foot kicking game and a homage to Wellens is not the way forward.

The game has changed and changed even further with the new rules.
    Name any NRL club from top to bottom (except Brisbane Broncos) who don't have absolute gas at FB.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

If that is the case then whoever gets signed NEED ABSOLUTELY TO HAVE PACE and be a running threat.

Good as Coote has been, a left foot kicking game and a homage to Wellens is not the way forward.

Name any NRL club from top to bottom (except Brisbane Broncos) who don't have absolute gas at FB.
    Evalds is 27 so he's not to old.

You are right.

He would still have a few goods years in him.

He has developed a very good passing game in addition to the gas.

In The South Stand

You are right.

He would still have a few goods years in him.

He has developed a very good passing game in addition to the gas.
    He would be a good signing i agree

Banned

Cracking player Evalds.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

That was always my point about the Coote signing. If he had speed he'd be one of the best full backs in the sports & still playing in the NRL. That said, he's been a brilliant signing for Saints and perhaps his lack of speed is magnified by the same issue with the other pivots- none of Lomax, Fages or Roby have real speed. * Roby did at his peak and was one of the best getting out of dummy half. Again they're all still strong performers in there own right and have their attributes, but when you put them all together in the tight games, when breaks need to be converted in to points, it's a concern for St Helens.

I made the point about Warrington before the season resumed, that the rule changes may suit them the most. Matty Ashton has been a revelation for them and with the two hookers, Austin, Mamo. They have some speed through the middle of the field.

Evalds has been one of the best full backs in the competition for a number of years and as I said when the deal was announced, is a great signing for Cas.

I wonder if Saints would rival Wigan for Jai Field? He is one of the quickest players I've seen in the sport, thinking back to what he did in the 9's a few years back.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    That was always my point about the Coote signing. If he had speed he'd be one of the best full backs in the sports & still playing in the NRL. That said, he's been a brilliant signing for Saints and perhaps his lack of speed is magnified by the same issue with the other pivots- none of Lomax, Fages or Roby have real speed. * Roby did at his peak and was one of the best getting out of dummy half. Again they're all still strong performers in there own right and have their attributes, but when you put them all together in the tight games, when breaks need to be converted in to points, it's a concern for St Helens.

I made the point about Warrington before the season resumed, that the rule changes may suit them the most. Matty Ashton has been a revelation for them and with the two hookers, Austin, Mamo. They have some speed through the middle of the field.

Evalds has been one of the best full backs in the competition for a number of years and as I said when the deal was announced, is a great signing for Cas.

I wonder if Saints would rival Wigan for Jai Field? He is one of the quickest players I've seen in the sport, thinking back to what he did in the 9's a few years back.

Regards,

STEVO
    Jai Field could be good, didn't know Wigan were in for him. Any OOC commentators over there? Know anybody hanging around doing nothing?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Jai Field could be good, didn't know Wigan were in for him. Any OOC commentators over there? Know anybody hanging around doing nothing?
    Here's the comments from Lam on Field, Belgian. There was similar from the Leeds coach a few months back.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rug...an-lam-2966852

He isn't OOC, but he struggles for game time over there and a release to allow him to develop may be an option. In the same way Wigan got French a year or so back.

Field is lightweight, but the rule changes should suit his natural game and especially in SL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuSe9n0qE7Y

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Here's the comments from Lam on Field, Belgian. There was similar from the Leeds coach a few months back.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rug...an-lam-2966852

He isn't OOC, but he struggles for game time over there and a release to allow him to develop may be an option. In the same way Wigan got French a year or so back.

Field is lightweight, but the rule changes should suit his natural game and especially in SL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuSe9n0qE7Y

Regards,

STEVO
    Thanks. I remember Leeds being in for him, but missed the Wigan one.

Banned

That's when his contract's up. He'll be 31 and may want to retire. If he wants to play on, I think he'd find it tough to get a decent contract in the NRL so Saints would be potentially the most viable option (unless he was intent on moving back to Aus)

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That's when his contract's up. He'll be 31 and may want to retire. If he wants to play on, I think he'd find it tough to get a decent contract in the NRL so Saints would be potentially the most viable option (unless he was intent on moving back to Aus)
    I believe he has a young family so their future (schooling etc) would outweigh all other things.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    I believe he has a young family so their future (schooling etc) would outweigh all other things.
    Does he have his family with him in St Helens?