Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: OOC players

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Given who may or may not be available for this next season or so, it makes sense to sign them both if they are better value than what's available. My issue comes, if we look a season or two ahead, that we lose both of these along with probably Roby, Coote and a few more given their ages. To overhaul the squad in one hit and to get all replacement players hitting the ground running especially 1 & 9 is a big challenge.

On the flip side, wonder how the enforced mid-season break, with no end of season internationals will help with recovery and rejuvenation of some of the older players, especially those that usually had internationals so had shorter off-seasons. Will this have enabled them to add a year or two extra onto their careers?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’d rather go with Batchelor as the fifth prop behind Walmsley, Lees, Amor or LMS and Paasi than keeping on both Amor and LMS. Batchelor offers a younger alternative and more versatility than Amor and is a younger alternative to LMS, who can cover a couple of positions when we’re really short mid-game.
    He has played one game at prop, against salford, I did think that he was very good in that game, but he is not normally a prop. To pin your hopes on him might be a bit if a folly. Having said that, I think the guy is a worker and gives a 100%, so I hope he succeeds, but doubt it will be in the FR.

Edit Sorry I had not seen other posts making basically the same argument.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 11th November 2020 at 21:31. Reason: as above

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He has played one game at prop, against salford, I did think that he was very good in that game, but he is not normally a prop. To pin your hopes on him might be a bit if a folly. Having said that, I think the guy is a worker and gives a 100%, so I hope he succeeds, but doubt it will be in the FR.
    Let’s not act like he’d be playing week in, week out with Walmsley, Lees, Paasi and one of LMS/Amor ahead of him. Instead we are going to run with both LMS and Amor, who’ll be 35 and 33 come next year and both have not particularly lit up the league this year.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Batchelor is part of the existing squad.
    Norman would likely take Ashworth's money or less.
    So they are covered under the current cap.

Therefore the debate is not a straight shoot out between the four.
    It is more a question of the £140K( assuming SL average wage) for both LMS and Amor is best use of cap.
    Batchelor and Norman provide options and you have £140K to spend.

I think Saints need to look at what's coming from Wigan.
    A spine of French, Field and Hastings is going to take some beating. They are box office.
    Leeds (much as I dislike them) are starting to get things right on and off the field.

The LMS and Amor signings represent the weakness of Saints off-field,
    once you are in, it's a bit of a gravy train.

Have we even signed this Norman? I’d never even heard of him till I read this forum and I definitely haven’t ever seen him play. Now suddenly he’s the real deal.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Let’s not act like he’d be playing week in, week out with Walmsley, Lees, Paasi and one of LMS/Amor ahead of him. Instead we are going to run with both LMS and Amor, who’ll be 35 and 33 come next year and both have not particularly lit up the league this year.
    I think this is always the factor that’s missed; we will be presumably paying one of LMS/ Amor an average to above average wage next year to not even make the squad. Even if Batchelor isn’t good in direct comparison, his value to the squad is virtually the same, whilst presumably taking up far less wage.

So far we have Thompson whose presumably a Cap like for like replacement of Taia, Mata’utia whose a like for like for Paulo, and Paasi as a like for like replacement for Peyroux. Whilst I assume Costello/ Ashworth money will be pumped into upgrades for those re-signing, that still leaves us with the Thompson/Graham hole and Amor (if we don’t renew) - we should be able to find another prop more able to compete for a place than Amor for that money.

Don’t forget we lost 4 players last year (2 of which we can assume as big earners) as well (again am sure plenty went to re-signing but it was intended to give us “flexibility” this year as I recall?)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Batchelor is part of the existing squad.
    Norman would likely take Ashworth's money or less.
    So they are covered under the current cap.

Therefore the debate is not a straight shoot out between the four.
    It is more a question of the £140K( assuming SL average wage) for both LMS and Amor is best use of cap.
    Batchelor and Norman provide options and you have £140K to spend.

I think Saints need to look at what's coming from Wigan.
    A spine of French, Field and Hastings is going to take some beating. They are box office.
    Leeds (much as I dislike them) are starting to get things right on and off the field.

The LMS and Amor signings represent the weakness of Saints off-field,
    once you are in, it's a bit of a gravy train.
    Jaysus of Bevan French and Field are ‘box office’ it shows what a little league this is. French is rightly derided in the NRL because he s shit. Field has played how many games. Ill admit I like Hastings but lets not pretend Wigan have Johns, Lewis and Lockyer at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I think this is always the factor that’s missed; we will be presumably paying one of LMS/ Amor an average to above average wage next year to not even make the squad. Even if Batchelor isn’t good in direct comparison, his value to the squad is virtually the same, whilst presumably taking up far less wage.

So far we have Thompson whose presumably a Cap like for like replacement of Taia, Mata’utia whose a like for like for Paulo, and Paasi as a like for like replacement for Peyroux. Whilst I assume Costello/ Ashworth money will be pumped into upgrades for those re-signing, that still leaves us with the Thompson/Graham hole and Amor (if we don’t renew) - we should be able to find another prop more able to compete for a place than Amor for that money.

Don’t forget we lost 4 players last year (2 of which we can assume as big earners) as well (again am sure plenty went to re-signing but it was intended to give us “flexibility” this year as I recall?)
    Just regarding Paasi, he would replace Luke T and not Dom P.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Have we even signed this Norman? I’d never even heard of him till I read this forum and I definitely haven’t ever seen him play. Now suddenly he’s the real deal.
    Same as we had never heard of Walmsley ! Now everybody’s heard of him lol!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Jaysus of Bevan French and Field are ‘box office’ it shows what a little league this is. French is rightly derided in the NRL because he s shit. Field has played how many games. Ill admit I like Hastings but lets not pretend Wigan have Johns, Lewis and Lockyer at fullback.
    We can't even give a pass to our one bit of box office.

Lewis Johns and Lockyer they might not be but they look more appealing than our spine.

Kicking to box3 , drop offs , missing in big games and a latter years Wellen's homage.
    They will have pace and strike across the spine and both their half-backs have a kicking game.
    That doesn't sound too terrible.

Must admit I don’t understand the fascination with Hastings. Doesn’t seem to impact the game as much as I’d expect a marquee 6 to. Austin and Lomax are far more influential. French can be a real handful on his day but then last week he was easily managed by Huddersfield

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

If you look on twitter it seems as though Wigan are already champions for 2020 and 2021...god I hope we can get ourselves together and turn these bazzers over this year. I still reckon our best will beat anyone else's best but is Woolf's approach gonna bring out our best?. If as I suspect he's gonna play a game where we just try and steamroller the opposition we may as well have Peyroux at centre instead of Welsby or Simm.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    If you look on twitter it seems as though Wigan are already champions for 2020 and 2021...god I hope we can get ourselves together and turn these bazzers over this year. I still reckon our best will beat anyone else's best but is Woolf's approach gonna bring out our best?. If as I suspect he's gonna play a game where we just try and steamroller the opposition we may as well have Peyroux at centre instead of Welsby or Simm.
    Their pack is still totally underwhelming. A nightclub doorman like Clubb and Toronto squad player Singleton. Every dog has its day and they did in the rain recently but Id be far more concerned about Warrington who I think will win it this year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I saw a tweet last night that said "may as well give us the silverware now." Screenshotted for use in 12 months time hopefully.....
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Their pack is still totally underwhelming. A nightclub doorman like Clubb and Toronto squad player Singleton. Every dog has its day and they did in the rain recently but Id be far more concerned about Warrington who I think will win it this year.
    I'm not writing Wire off by any means, I just mean that if we do make the final it'll likely be against them and it'd great to beat them after the other week when the majority of Wigan fans thought they'd won the SL title...I'm not writing Hull off either tonight, they can beat anyone at their best but can also be equally as awful, I'm not expecting it though.

I think Warrington might come unstuck tonight. Cooper has been their best performer in the pack and without him I fancy Hull to get on top and pull off a surprise.

Wigan v Hull
    Saints v Leeds

Saints v Wigan

That's how I predict it will pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think Warrington might come unstuck tonight. Cooper has been their best performer in the pack and without him I fancy Hull to get on top and pull off a surprise.

Wigan v Hull
    Saints v Leeds

Saints v Wigan

I'll have a bit of that YG but I think you've made a typo, don't you mean Saints Hull final ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Wigan v Hull
    Saints v Leeds

Saints v Wigan

Theres not a single result that could shock me the way this season has been mate. Anything could happen in these play offs.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Wigan v Hull
    Saints v Leeds

Saints v Wigan

I can't see Hull getting anywhere near Wire, particularly as it will be dry

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    YG is usually good with his predictions but I agree with you. Price seems to get them up for these knockout games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Wigan v Hull
    Saints v Leeds

Saints v Wigan

Saints v Wire and Wigan v Catalans then
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Saints v Wire and Wigan v Catalans then
    Haha ye of little faith

WARNING! PIE EATER!

You are conveniently ignoring Havard, Byrne, Partington, Smithies, Shorrocks, Bullock etc. The best "young" pack in the league, Leeds are also building in that department.

As for Norman I was talking to an ex amatuer coach whose son had played in the same academy team as him at Widnes. He said that Norman was more of a body builder than a rugby player, Apparently his dad is very much into that "sport".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    You are conveniently ignoring Havard, Byrne, Partington, Smithies, Shorrocks, Bullock etc. The best "young" pack in the league, Leeds are also building in that department.

As for Norman I was talking to an ex amatuer coach whose son had played in the same academy team as him at Widnes. He said that Norman was more of a body builder than a rugby player, Apparently his dad is very much into that "sport".
    I ignored them because the majority arent worth wasting much time with. Good luck with Byrne. Limited to say the least. Shortocks and Bullock. ••••ing garbage. Keep bulling them up like you did when they got a smacked arse last year. Never forget the look on Byrne’s face - as thick as a plank. One win in how many games and we’re up against the Kangaroos... But then its par for the course from an uber tacky club as classless to rob a Tina Turner song so comfortable was it in its own arrogance and to project its evo stick isthmian League motif on its rivals stadium. Stay classy.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 12th November 2020 at 13:50.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Same Hull are poor. Warrington to batter them.