Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC players

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Good post, I think that shows that we need another prop
    I thought that until I sat down this morning and looked at it. Next year we have; Walmsley, Paasi, Lees, Amor, LMS and Batchelor competing for the 4 props starts + any academy kids who might come to the fore. There’s a lot of experience in that lot, and without spending big I am not sure if there’s any one actually out there and available whom improves us, either by being better or providing more competition. I also imagine we will combine LMS and Amors salaries next year for another big hitter, leaving anyone we sign this year out of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Good post, I think that shows that we need another prop
    Redvee need to make t-shirts with "We need to sign a prop" or "Can he play prop?" written on them.

However, yes you are right. It would be great if we could get a new "project" prop. A few have said Mulhern (Hull KR) or Butler (London) however Mulhern has had interest from the NRL and Butler from Wire.

Our only young prop is Hazard and he is showing as OOC and from what little I have seen of him I don't think he is near to Saints first team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Woolf has already spoken about Thompson playing on the left edge. He will be a direct replacement for Taia.
    Given that LMS is OOC and is 35 we could be down another prop, so it may just be a case of sticking the big workhorse in the middle. I know the plan is straight swap with Taia which makes perfect sense.

I am just saying circumstances could be that if we have too many good backrowers (Mata'utia, Knowles, Bentley and Thompson are too good to be bench players) and too few quality props then he is the best candidate to move into the middle at some point.

Edit: But yes plan A should be Thompson on the left edge.
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 29th October 2020 at 13:50.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Redvee need to make t-shirts with "We need to sign a prop" or "Can he play prop?" written on them.

However, yes you are right. It would be great if we could get a new "project" prop. A few have said Mulhern (Hull KR) or Butler (London) however Mulhern has had interest from the NRL and Butler from Wire.

Our only young prop is Hazard and he is showing as OOC and from what little I have seen of him I don't think he is near to Saints first team.

Given that LMS is OOC and is 35 we could be down another prop, so it may just be a case of sticking the big workhorse in the middle. I know the plan is straight swap with Taia which makes perfect sense.

I am just saying circumstances could be that if we have too many good backrowers (Mata'utia, Knowles, Bentley and Thompson are too good to be bench players) and too few quality props then he is the best candidate to move into the middle at some point.

Edit: But yes plan A should be Thompson on the left edge.
    Yeah I see your logic there mate. There’s also the option of Bentley spending time at 13 to cover Knowles at different points too. On the whole we look like we’ll have plenty competition for places and good squad depth which is the main thing.
    There’s no obvious position in the squad where an injury would absolutely kill us. Obviously if we lost Coote, Lomax, Roby or Walmsley we’d miss them massively but we do have cover in most if not all areas now.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Yeah I see your logic there mate. There’s also the option of Bentley spending time at 13 to cover Knowles at different points too. On the whole we look like we’ll have plenty competition for places and good squad depth which is the main thing.
    There’s no obvious position in the squad where an injury would absolutely kill us. Obviously if we lost Coote, Lomax, Roby or Walmsley we’d miss them massively but we do have cover in most if not all areas now.

wing would be a major worry we can just about cover if grace or makinson go down, imagine both get injured at the same time

we'd be in the mire then

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    wing would be a major worry we can just about cover if grace or makinson go down, imagine both get injured at the same time

we'd be in the mire then
    Welsby, Simm and Rizzelli should cover wing for a short term injury. Also Welsby, Simm for centre, Welsby for stand off.

Woolf has already spoken about Thompson playing on the left edge. He will be a direct replacement for Taia.

I'm fairly sure it'll be:

Walmsley, Lees, Paasi, LMS and Amor as props. (2 of the first 3 to start and then 2 or 3 on the bench)
    Thompson, Matautia and Bentley will battle for the 2nd row starting positions with 1 on the bench.
    Knowles at LF.

Walmsley
    Roby
    Paasi
    Matuatia
    Thompson
    Knowles

Bentley
    Amor
    LMS
    Lees
    I like the look of that. Hopefully Paasi is good - I know very little about him other than that he's a unit.

we'd be in the mire then
    To be fair how many clubs carry two spare wingers?

Despite a couple of errors I wsa actually quite encouraged by Rizzelli and Nisbet last week, plus Simm could cover there too.

we'd be in the mire then
    Don't know if he still ever plays there but judging by the Youtube clips Mata'utia played a lot of his earlier rugby on the wing, and well enough to get a Kangaroos call up in that position. He could be useful to have around in that respect.

To be fair how many clubs carry two spare wingers?

Despite a couple of errors I wsa actually quite encouraged by Rizzelli and Nisbet last week, plus Simm could cover there too.
    Was hoping maybe we could snap up some young championship player on the wing for a cheap price?

I know we have players who could cover the wing but tbh none of them look the part for me and I reckon all of them would get found out by the top sides.

But your right salary cap means it's impossible to have a strong starting team and strong back up in every position

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

I know Graham and Batchelor were named at 13 and 10 respectively on Monday (no idea why) but no way did they play there. Batch is an out and out back rower (or centre where he played most of the time when we loaned him back to York after signing him) and will be in the mix with Thompson, Bentley and Matautia for a spot in the second-row. He's nothing like a prop and it would be a waste of his talent to try and turn him into one, especially when we've got 5 props already for next year (Walmsley, Lees, Paasi, Amor and LMS).
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Dom Peyroux joining Tiger Woods at Toulouse.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Welsby, Simm and Rizzelli should cover wing for a short term injury. Also Welsby, Simm for centre, Welsby for stand off.
    And.....Welsby for scrum half
    Welsby for hooker
    Welsby for fullback
    Welsby for loose forward
    Welsby for 2nd row
    Welsby for prop (surprised he didn’t cover for Walmsley)
    Welsby for coach
    Welsby for CEO
    Welsby for chairman

In fact anywhere he can be given a position.....he doesn’t have to earn it as his performances have proved. Just give him a position.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Welsby for hooker
    Welsby for fullback
    Welsby for loose forward
    Welsby for 2nd row
    Welsby for coach
    Welsby for CEO
    Welsby for chairman

In fact anywhere he can be given a position.....he doesn’t have to earn it as his performances have proved. Just give him a position.....
    That's some list are you sure? What about kicking duties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Id be made up if jammer gor 1 more year. I dont the sound of the props we are being linked with and jammer really kffers us something

Peryoux - keep
    Amor and lms - 1 year deal
    Paulo - ill pay for his taxi to widnes or airport just let him go

Costello - salford bound
    Ashworth - id like to keep but rumoured to have signed for cas, him and woolf just clearly dont get on
    Ashworth is a domestic abuser, probably why woolf doesn’t like him. Was due to appear at court around July in relation to theft and criminal damage against his ex gf around christmas time. She also reported an assault and two previous assaults, one of which included him throwing a glass at her in a club before being ejected. Unfortunately the time limit for charging him expired for the assaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bovi View Post
    Ashworth is a domestic abuser, probably why woolf doesn’t like him. Was due to appear at court around July in relation to theft and criminal damage against his ex gf around christmas time. She also reported an assault and two previous assaults, one of which included him throwing a glass at her in a club before being ejected. Unfortunately the time limit for charging him expired for the assaults.
    *alleged

Never seen Bentley as a ball playing LF to be honest. I suppose he could play LF a different way but not my choice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bovi View Post
    He’s also garbage so Cas or anyone else are welcome to him.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Huddersfield is his destination I’ve heard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Hardly call him garbage. Hes a good player when hes heads in the game he put in some real good displays 2018 and 2019. But this years hes been ill admit. His attitude is his own worse enemy

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Hardly call him garbage. Hes a good player when hes heads in the game he put in some real good displays 2018 and 2019. But this years hes been ill admit. His attitude is his own worse enemy
    Its also possible that Covid has not helped him when the players had to self train and self discipline between those months of March to August and his head could and still is all over the place. Shame really his size is what Saints needed but grit and determination is not there.

Welsby for CEO
    I don't know, does he know how to use the lawnmower?

Welsby for hooker
    Welsby for fullback
    Welsby for loose forward
    Welsby for 2nd row
    Welsby for coach
    Welsby for CEO
    Welsby for chairman

But being serious, a player of Welsby's age just needs games. It is not clear which position is his best spot so for now he can come in and do a job where needed.

If you look at the NSW team, the trend in the NRL is to get your best players in to the spine, as both the NSW centre's are in the spine of their club sides (1 & 6). In fact, I have said that if Super League clubs did the same as NRL clubs Tommy Makinson would have been signed by another club as their full back on marquee money.

I think that wing or centre is a good place for Welsby to get his first 50 games under his belt but then, if he lives up to his potential, we need him at 1 or 6. I think that Jon Wilkin never fulfilled his potential because as a senior player he was never permanently put in a place he could influence the team and was ultimately wasted as a running second rower.

I can see Welsby ending his career as a ball playing 13 eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Never seen Bentley as a ball playing LF to be honest. I suppose he could play LF a different way but not my choice.

tbh Knowles is hardly harry pinner is he? he is a top player and I like him a lot but he is not really a ball player either is he?

Noooobie

On the Subject of Ashworth Best Young Forword Prospect Ive Seen For Years pity he is Leaving Another one Slipped through the net.

Quote Originally Posted by owl saint View Post
    On the Subject of Ashworth Best Young Forword Prospect Ive Seen For Years pity he is Leaving Another one Slipped through the net.
    I think he had some brilliant games in the latter half of 2018, but he hasn't produced that form anywhere near consistently enough. He wasn't nearly as effective in 2019. Add to that the fact that at 25 he's not really a young player anymore, and I can't really see a good case for keeping him.