Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Super league update - Covid 19

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Secondly, the less games they play, the less money they receive from the tv deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that the case? I thought the money went ‘in the pot’ and was dished out equally.
    Last edited by Dux; 10th September 2020 at 14:38.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I can see why the percentage system has been introduced but that makes no allowance for WHICH opponents teams have faced thus far. Then if a team only completes 15 rounds then surely that factor would be important but would not affect the outcome!
    So in the current situation where teams may, through no fault of their own not play exactly the same number of games, what would you do differently?

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Without sounding arrogant, from what I've seen since it restart, they can use any format they like and we will still win it.

I've not seen anything from any other team to suggest they can match us on our day.

If we keep healthy and focused, no one is getting close to us

(get ready for a defeat tomorrow now )
    That is arrogant, but I do think that right now we are the best.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Of course, but what else can they do in the circumstances?
    As I said, I understand why and I was just pointing out the flaw in the system! The RFL have come up with a plan which by the nature of the season is probably the fairest way of doing it! As long as it keeps the season going then on with the show!

The problem with the percentage league table is that, now it’s been implemented it is dependent entirely on the integrity of the teams involved. There are teams - particularly one I won’t name but they have a ground in Cheshire- who will exploit and ‘loophole’ every opportunity. This has been demonstrated time and again, most recently with Incidents such as props (Hill etc) going off for a HIA with no apparent injury, players in the defending line dropping to the floor apparently unconscious when its apparent they are about to concede, then getting up and playing on after the ref stops play and prevents a try, and numerous other similar exploitations of rules. I fear they will be ‘unable’ to play crucial games where they may lose, but will be fine for the easier games.

Is that the case? I thought the money went ‘in the pot’ and was dished out equally.
    Dished out equally dependant on games.

With regards to games now being played at a common ground EG Saints this weekend, do we get any financial benefit from the use of our ground??

Of course, but what else can they do in the circumstances?
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    That is arrogant, but I do think that right now we are the best.
    It’s only arrogance if you’re not the best.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Personally conspiracy theories are not high on my agenda nor is RFL criticism or becoming upset with their decisions, I just think a percentage win ratio with no constant base measure is wide open to manipulation. Add to that a variable minimum games played if four clubs fail to reach a previous required number then it is a farcical.
    Lots of examples have been given but one that is a real possibility is three Lancashire & one French club dropping anchor after less the minimum games to preserve a % that maintains a top four place.
    If this is at the expense of a Yorkshire side then although many will wallow in this scenario our game will look negative in many neutrals eyes.
    I hope this does not happen and integrity prevails but if there is an opportunity to massage a system, human nature comes into human governed sports.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 10th September 2020 at 20:34.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Not sure why there are conspiracy theories about this. Firstly a team can only call a game off with 7 positive tests and to provide proof of this to the RFL.

Secondly, the less games they play, the less money they receive from the tv deal.

Is this correct Reacher ?
    A team that cannot play due to outside Covid protocols is penalised financially. I would find that bizarre though not unbelievable but certainly open to legal challenge.

That’s my understanding of it and what I’ve been told by someone who would know.

Banned

2 W***n players tested positive, expect another 15 tomorrow to make sure their game with Leeds is called off while they're feeling a bit delicate.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    2 W***n players tested positive, expect another 15 tomorrow to make sure their game with Leeds is called off while they're feeling a bit delicate.
    I think they play wire pal. Both be pulling out lol

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Noooobie

Leeds is called off? They play Warrington on Friday.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

On the RL Fans VIRTUAL TRIPE the rumour is Joe Burgess, his face always looks like a virus.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    On the RL Fans VIRTUAL TRIPE the rumour is Joe Burgess, his face always looks like a virus.
    If it is Burgess then he’s probably just got psittacosis!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    I think they play wire pal. Both be pulling out lol

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 100house View Post
    Leeds is called off? They play Warrington on Friday.
    I knew it was a shit house team anyway.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 6th October 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Not being able to multi task

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    If it is Burgess then he’s probably just got psittacosis!
    impeccable, snellinmo.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Another Wigan player has tested positive for Covid, he didn't play on Saturday.

Got A Season Ticket

Latest from BBC.

Castleford's trip to Leeds hangs in the balance after three of their players tested positive for Covid-19 in their weekly round of coronavirus tests.

A further six members of the Cas squad have been stood down through track-and-trace protocols, meaning the Tigers have just 14 fit players.

Three more players will be reviewed on Thursday before deciding whether the Super League game will go ahead.

The entire Castleford Tigers squad will be tested again on Friday morning.

Several Super League games have already been postponed since the season started in August because of Covid-19 outbreaks in squads.

Link to story

In The South Stand

Leeds and Salford should be in a bubble between now and the cup final. It would be embarrassing to have to rearrange the final due to multiple cases.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

WARNING! PIE EATER!

As they've set 15 games as the minimum, should we just try to get all the teams to that figure and go from there with maybe a top 5 system?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    As they've set 15 games as the minimum, should we just try to get all the teams to that figure and go from there with maybe a top 5 system?
    If we end up in a situation where we'll be happy to get everyone to 15 games, it would then be unwise to have a protracted play off system such as the top 5. The Top 4 semi final option makes sense because it keeps teams in contention but it's the shortest way to do the play-offs and get them done with the minimum of hassle.

You could even stick the 4 sides in a bubble together, play the semi finals at the same stadium (home ground of the team finishing top) on the same day or evening, and then keep the two winning sides in the bubble for the GF. 7-8 days, done and dusted. Top 5 means 6 play off games over 3 weeks, and would be unnecessarily risky IMO if we were in a position where the season had already been halted early.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If we end up in a situation where we'll be happy to get everyone to 15 games, it would then be unwise to have a protracted play off system such as the top 5. The Top 4 semi final option makes sense because it keeps teams in contention but it's the shortest way to do the play-offs and get them done with the minimum of hassle.

You could even stick the 4 sides in a bubble together, play the semi finals at the same stadium (home ground of the team finishing top) on the same day or evening, and then keep the two winning sides in the bubble for the GF. 7-8 days, done and dusted. Top 5 means 6 play off games over 3 weeks, and would be unnecessarily risky IMO if we were in a position where the season had already been halted early.
    My thinking was if we can get the teams to 15 games each we can probably get rid of the 3 games a week scenario and still fulfill tv commitments utilising top a 5 or even top 6 system. Any big step up in the covid figures and the three games a week is asking for trouble IMO.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    My thinking was if we can get the teams to 15 games each we can probably get rid of the 3 games a week scenario and still fulfill tv commitments utilising top a 5 or even top 6 system. Any big step up in the covid figures and the three games a week is asking for trouble IMO.
    Why does this Uncle Joe's Mint Balls tosspot think that anyone is interested in his opinion?