Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Super league update - Covid 19

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Well if the sport had been managed properly over the years and we'd managed to secure decent tv deals, & strong income & revenue streams (for example, kicking on after a brilliant 2013 world cup) then perhaps we might have a bit more leeway?
    Perhaps, but who else is in a great shape? We're on a par with probably lower half Championship clubs and top-half League One clubs in terms of national appeal and crowds, and they're all struggling. RU Premiership clubs are also at a similar level, perhaps higher, and they've been hit as well. It's not ideal, but we are basically playing a season here to stay above water, and unlike previous seasons you don't even need to decide whether you want to go to the game or not.

I've watched nothing except Saints since it's re-started, and I have less interest in what happens between now and November than I've ever had as a RL fan. But I get why it's happening, and if we can all roll up in 2021 with the game in some semblance of normality then it'll have been worth it. That will be the time to review the mistakes that got us to this point, and try to change course, but not now I reckon.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

It’s not ideal but there’s not a lot going on in the world at the minute that is. The fact that the RFL have acted now and have given teams warning is a good thing IMO.

Given the number of games that haven’t been played so far, there’s no way that all teams would have been able to play an equal number of games so doing it by points percentage seems fair to me.

I don’t understand why some people think that ‘scrapping the season’ would be a good thing for the sport.

The only thing that really matters this year is that as many games as possible get played and we keep as much money in the sport as possible.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I suppose it will all "justify the play-offs". :-)

In reality, RL has a long and chequered history of skewed fixture lists and that's why the old Championship had a top four play-off in the first place. Clearly, a team finishing fifth might have a beef, but if Catalans top the table on a percentage basis and go on to win it via they play-offs, then it won't be tainted for me.
    Yep, all titles in play-off systems are as tainted or untainted as any other really. There are so many ways to play the system, and it comes down to peaking and getting the rub of the green at various times, so Catalans winning it from here will be no more or less valid than Leeds taking half a season off and then winning it from 5th... twice!

I quite like the fact that every side will now be worrying about their win percentage rather than their league position this morning, and the fact that we cannot guarantee that we'll all play our quota of games means that we have entered something close to 'must-win' territory for alot of clubs. There will be a few clubs outside the 4 who in a normal season would be quite calm thinking a run of form at some point in the next 10 games would get them in. This morning they will have seen that news and will now be realising they need to win games, and win them fast. It'll add something to the games for sure.

Starting A Programme Collection

I suppose it will all "justify the play-offs". :-)

In reality, RL has a long and chequered history of skewed fixture lists and that's why the old Championship had a top four play-off in the first place. Clearly, a team finishing fifth might have a beef, but if Catalans top the table on a percentage basis and go on to win it via they play-offs, then it won't be tainted for me.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The RL community is full of conspiracy theorists and the only guarantees are that dopey Saints fans will think it's all been done to favour Wigan and dopey Wigan fans will all think it's been done to favour Saints. :-)
    It HAS been done to ADVANTAGE The Crust Munchers!!!

Surely it must have somehow?

It's Points Percentage calculation, that's the reason we're not top of the league this season

Banned

I suggested this would have to happen last week. It makes perfect sense. Catalans especially are not likely to finish their games, but as long as we've all played the vast majority, then points per games is the only fair and reasonable solution to reward the work the clubs have done since January.

My only slight concern is that clubs may want to strategically get the 'right' number of absentees if they were about to play a match they would surely lose. It's something the RFL will have to monitor closely over the closing weeks, because Catalans could stand to benefit tremendously by playing 15 games rather than 20.

The plans seem a sensible proposition - although caveated with the potential for 'gaming' the temporary system as you point out.

In The South Stand

If it keeps the money coming in and the game alive until we get back to normality then good.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Catalans is an interesting situation, being the only side that will have proper home advantage (weather, geography and fans) for the short to medium term. If they can play their six home games and win the lot or even four or five of them, they would only 'need' to fulfill a handful of their remaining games in England to easily finish in the top four, off the back of a skewed set of games that massively advantaged them.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to watching a game with an actual crowd.
    I think with Cats it is just the luck of the draw in where they are located. They have had the disruption of playing in England every week recently. If they win it good luck to them, better them than a team beginning with W. I think the RL are making the best of a bad situation.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think with Cats it is just the luck of the draw in where they are located. They have had the disruption of playing in England every week recently. If they win it good luck to them, better them than a team beginning with W. I think the RL are making the best of a bad situation.
    Agreed. It certainly won't sway who I am shouting for on Saturday either!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

If it was to be brought in it should have been straight after lockdown not now. No forward thinking from those in charge again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    If it was to be brought in it should have been straight after lockdown not now. No forward thinking from those in charge again.
    What difference would that have made though? We are obviously being impacted more than we thought we would be so we are adapting accordingly.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    No forward thinking from those in charge again.

I think you need to go further up the chain than the RFL.

The incompetence (and the bullsh*t excuses - it's never their fault... ) of this government is astonishing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think you need to go further up the chain than the RFL.

The incompetence (and the bullsh*t excuses - it's never their fault... ) of this government is astonishing.
    Whichever Govt was In, it wouldn't be their fault

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

If the Wigoons beat the Cats this weekend then the Cats go down to 62% and most probably down to 4th place.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If the Wigoons beat the Cats this weekend then the Cats go down to 62% and most probably down to 4th place.
    $h1t we have to support the Goons, I was just sick in my mouth.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

It is the right decision going forward. The RFL really need to make sure no club tries to take advantage of the not having to fufil a fixture if they don't need to. Having said that, If we were guaranteed a play off position I wouldnt have any problems with saints not being "able" to fulfill a fixture, when we're playing 3 games in 10 days.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon that Cats are the most likely to challenge us this season. When they have a full squad and on their day l, they are, IMO the 2nd best team in the comp, so any defeat for them is a plus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    I can’t bring myself to even consider supporting the sister botherers.
    Rather see Catalans lift the shield than the pie fiddlers. And as an added bonus it’d put them in possible danger of not making the top four which would be hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Sod it, we have got to go for a Cats win but a hard fought one then when the Cats have to play a lot of 3 games in a week for a spell they will be too knackered at the business end.

Noooobie

If Superleague are going to use percentage wins to determine league position, then surely the Toronto games should be included?

Learning All The Songs

So now Catalan play less games, go top and will go into the play offs with a fitter team.

Learning All The Songs

This decision seems farcical, I agree we have to keep playing and find solutions on the run, this is not the way.
    Any percentage has to be an equal number of games played for every team, that is how percentages work it is the same baseline for all to form the 100%, therefore allowing for fluctuations.
    To score teams for not playing or allowing their percentages to remain the same is nonsense.
    Why do our league tables still have a draw column ?
    If player fatigue is an issue why did we introduce golden point after 80 gruelling minutes and why is it still in being continued ?
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 9th September 2020 at 17:43. Reason: did not pontificate enough in the first few lines.

All we have to do is keep winning and we will be back to back champions.

No amount of rule changes alter that.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I for one have enjoyed Saints 'new normal' playing style, and I've always tended to strip the sport back to it's basic aim...to beat whichever team you're playing at the time.
    No talk of scrapping anything please! Let's just enjoy each game as it happens.
    League tables and trophies are a bonus IMO.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I for one have enjoyed Saints 'new normal' playing style, and I've always tended to strip the sport back to it's basic aim...to beat whichever team you're playing at the time.
    No talk of scrapping anything please! Let's just enjoy each game as it happens.
    League tables and trophies are a bonus IMO.
    Agreed, any rugby is a bonus this year. I'll look forward to any semi finals/finals we might be in.