Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Hull KR Team News

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Saints play to the same formula each week.

It's effective and it's difficult to consider changing a winning system but it does mean the more experienced coaches can send their teams out prepared to deal with it.

We know we're going to start with Walmsley and Graham and batter up the middle but if you can hold them out for 20mins they go off and the subs aren't as effective.

We know that mainly Fages and occasionally Coote will kick on the last tackle so you and target both of them to try and get in their faces.

Near the line in Fages will often put in a reverse grubber over the tryline for Coote.

There's plenty of other set plays I could list, but any coach worth his salt can go through a few match videos and pick them out.

Fortunately we've got good players so even though the opposition know what to look out for they can't always stop it.

Price has done a job on us a few times and he certainly will have Saints weighed up for next week.

It is difficult to change a winning formula but against the better teams we just need a bit of variety.
    Despite all the “off the cuff” remarks on Sky I got the impression that Tony Smith had done some good video work on us. At one point someone, possibly Lomax, delivered a beautiful pass to Coote who was running on a diagonal. Someone in Hull KR’s defensive line just stopped him dead just like he knew what was coming. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Saints play to the same formula each week.

It's effective and it's difficult to consider changing a winning system but it does mean the more experienced coaches can send their teams out prepared to deal with it.

We know we're going to start with Walmsley and Graham and batter up the middle but if you can hold them out for 20mins they go off and the subs aren't as effective.

We know that mainly Fages and occasionally Coote will kick on the last tackle so you and target both of them to try and get in their faces.

Near the line in Fages will often put in a reverse grubber over the tryline for Coote.

There's plenty of other set plays I could list, but any coach worth his salt can go through a few match videos and pick them out.

Fortunately we've got good players so even though the opposition know what to look out for they can't always stop it.

Price has done a job on us a few times and he certainly will have Saints weighed up for next week.

It is difficult to change a winning formula but against the better teams we just need a bit of variety.

Completely agree. All a bit too robotic at times.

Unfortunately the spine plays in mental handcuffs and won't do anything outside of the limited formula.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Welsby is 6 foot 2 inches and 14 1/2 stone is quite big for someone who’s preferred position is half back.
    I knpw he is taking some criticism fo his performances under the high ball, but I think he is gaining confidence every time he plays since the restart.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Unfortunately the spine plays in mental handcuffs and won't do anything outside of the limited formula.
    Absolute tosh

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Having watched Cas a few times I’m wondering if you let Danny Richardson go too soon?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Having watched Cas a few times I’m wondering if you let Danny Richardson go too soon?
    He was rubbish on Thursday. We’ve got a young lad called Lewis Dodd who’s banging on the door of the first team. Very highly rated and has been sought after by a couple of NRL teams. If we’d have kept Richardson and Fages it would be difficult to fit Dodd in for any game time. Plus in a salary capped sport it’s difficult to keep hold of your top earners especially when one of them would be sat in the reserves as a back up.

He’s done a great job getting them to 6th.

Wish he was still here instead of Fages dropping a goal to take us back to the top..... again.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I don’t agree with this at all personally. We’ve scored some brilliant unstructured tries in recent weeks alone.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Fages took on the line quite a lot.
    Agreed, he's a great little player who has adapted, but he did cock up for one of their trys, there again, he won us this game! Too many mistakes by too many players last tonight, but I think that in part, that was due to how well HKR played.

We will be better next game, I'm sure.

COYS

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I knpw he is taking some criticism fo his performances under the high ball, but I think he is gaining confidence every time he plays since the restart.
    That's why the younger squad members need a controlled introduction hopefully swimming in the shallows at first gaining confidence. Exposing them in the wrong environment where their deficiencies will be cruelly exposed might not be the best plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBH I am more concerned about Grace under the high ball rather than Welsby at the minute.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I donÂ’t agree with this at all personally. WeÂ’ve scored some brilliant unstructured tries in recent weeks alone.
    I understand the view and you are right it is not all gloom and doom.

I think my point surrounds close tight games or one which are not going your way.

When a side does its homework Saints are easy to bottle up and have difficult in adapting/responding in game.
    Both Cats and wire have done this in important games.

Under these circumstances Saints goto 3/4 set plays of 1/2 passes and that's it.

The Wire cup game and Wigan when they come , will provide a good indication of where we are.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Thought Bentley wasn't great in attack, however he chipped in with 59 tackles.. Welsby for all of his knock ons came up with 188m, with most of the forwards (particularly the back rowers) struggling to make many yards

Banned

No.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Welsby is 6 foot 2 inches and 14 1/2 stone is quite big for someone who’s preferred position is half back.
    Didn’t do Leon Pryce any harm

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    You're right there, was also thinking about Laurie Daley in the day for Australia for some reason, must have been a good 6ft but a class act so these positions don't need to be played by midgets..

I understand the view and you are right it is not all gloom and doom.

I think my point surrounds close tight games or one which are not going your way.

When a side does its homework Saints are easy to bottle up and have difficult in adapting/responding in game.
    Both Cats and wire have done this in important games.

Under these circumstances Saints goto 3/4 set plays of 1/2 passes and that's it.

The Wire cup game and Wigan when they come , will provide a good indication of where we are.
    The way to beat Saints is in the first 20 mins. Stay with us, match us set for set and complete well.

You’re right in highlighting Warrington in the CC Final as a blueprint.

However as brilliant as Holbrook was, I actually have more confidence in a big game now under Woolf. Winning the GF last year obviously helped but I just feel we are more aggressive in defence and likely to win the arm wrestle and grind it out. Cas at home a few weeks ago where we were probably as poor in attack as I’ve seen us for some time was a good example of winning whilst not playing well.

We’d probably have lost the HKR game a few years ago too.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Last nights performance reminded me if our loss to Warrington before the covid break. We look really slick in the opening 15 minutes. Plenty ball movement, solid defence etc. Then after 15-20 minutes once we realise we’re in a dog fight we lose our shape and revert to one out clueless rugby.
    I agree and will add it looked similar to the Wembley C/C last year. When a team lives with us and we do not score with so much possession close to the line we seem to insist on playing the percentage game.
    Hull KR`s first man tackles were superb hit and stick wrapping up the ball, no chance to offload for our lads, I think only Alex got his arms free and that was twice with no support.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I agree and will add it looked similar to the Wembley C/C last year. When a team lives with us and we do not score with so much possession close to the line we seem to insist on playing the percentage game.
    Hull KR`s first man tackles were superb hit and stick wrapping up the ball, no chance to offload for our lads, I think only Alex got his arms free and that was twice with no support.
    Yeh mate. The cup final another good example.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

I was responding to a post, which said our backs are small. I was simply using Welsby as an illustration of size not suggesting his size would hold him back in his favoured position.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I was talking to Leon in Perpignan airport when he was at Cats, I am 6.1 and 14 stone and Leon seemed a lot bigger than me.
    For him as a SO I thought he used his size well.

Learning All The Songs

As parky & RJM have pointed out Wofie he is a good player though it was almost impossible to keep him without certain restrictions he would not agree to.
    Apart from his defence sometimes and not getting close enough to the line, his passing is accurate and quick right to left but his left to right is slow and looping, that skill set is something a SH should have mastered as a very young player. I am not sure you can learn that in your twenties or be willing to put the 10000 hours practice the experts say is needed to perfect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I was talking to Leon in Perpignan airport when he was at Cats, I am 6.1 and 14 stone and Leon seemed a lot bigger than me.
    For him as a SO I thought he used his size well.
    Yep.

Pryce was playing at 6 for us at nearly 17 stone. 6 ft 4 he is

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yep.

Pryce was playing at 6 for us at nearly 17 stone. 6 ft 4 he is
    Bet Leon looked tiny standing next to his brother who was 6' 7" and 19+ stone, his brother was a bit softer though. Mark Percival was skinny when he made his debut but is 6'-1" and going towards 15 stone these days.