Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hull KR Team News

Learning All The Songs

Agree that we missed Louie and that Amor is worth his spot in the 17. Didn’t notice Lees last night or in the other games he’s played so far TBH. I don’t think he’s played well since returning from that bad injury. Louie should replace him next week.
    Re Hull KR, they are playing really well ATM so that is a game Saints could easily have lost last night. When KR levelled the scores I really thought they would go on to win. 2 points and a good win % is all that matters for now but Saints have work to do if they are to challenge for silverware this season.

Yeah, I think LMS should be in ahead of Lees next week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Great post. Bang on about Welsby, his only reasonable performance has been in the halves. Austin & Ratchford will crucify him with high balls next week if he plays. Some are saying Fages is stunted in attack but is anyone willing to swap Welsby into the halves. I think Costello may be the short term answer if a rusty Percival is back and Naquima is out leaving us short. I think Simm looks a natural centre albeit inexperienced which can only be expected with limited game time. We unfortunately have no kicking game to speak of and of late very limited link up play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think Woolf will move Welsby from that wing spot at the moment having scored 3 tries, 12 tackle busts, 166m + 188m, 1 missed tackle in his 2 winger appearances those stats are closer to Makinson output stat and I don't think Costello will be anywhere near that. If Kev gets a ban then its a straight decision to play Costello or Simm for that centre spot, Simm is a natural right centre Costello can play both.

Whatever the outcome we need a good defensive second rower on that side and Peyroux can be a bit hit and miss, LMS is due back next week so maybe he can do a job there. Bit of a dilemma for Woolf to decide on.

To negate the last tackle threat with the kick I would like to see Austin get hammered every time he touches the ball, someone Hooper esq perhaps give that job to big hitter Knowles.

If I didn't hear his name mentioned once I'd argue Lees didn't even play. I'd bring LMS back in next week as well.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Think it's a bit early to judge Woolf. Not played many games to be honest. 2 of our best backs have been missing. Any team missing 2 of their best backs wouldn't be as effective. I think Welsby has done a good job as he's played in several different positions and not let us down. Looking at the Hull KR team they look pretty strong and are well coached and came with a clear game plan. Hopefully we will learn from this and be better for next week's cup game against Wankey.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    Think it's a bit early to judge Woolf. Not played many games to be honest. 2 of our best backs have been missing. Any team missing 2 of their best backs wouldn't be as effective. I think Welsby has done a good job as he's played in several different positions and not let us down. Looking at the Hull KR team they look pretty strong and are well coached and came with a clear game plan. Hopefully we will learn from this and be better for next week's cup game against Wankey.
    We know a week out that Welsby will be targeted. I'm not reviewing his recent history or his development curve, I'm simply saying that he's proven weak under the high ball. 2/2 errors last night continues the trend. If he's to play wing then Woolf will need a game plan to protect him. I'm not sure that Woolf will do that as I'm concerned with his tactical nouse & game management but seemingly others are not so perhaps we shouldn't be too concerned. Warringtons attack is based on pace but also on tactical attacking kicks and we need a 'Hooper Plan' as mentioned or some other approach else it'll be untenable after 10mins and a long 70 after that. I'll bet Austin is on the field this morning already practising high bombs to an imaginary right winger in preparation.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I personally quite like close games every now and again. As much as I like seeing us giving sides a caning, the thrill of competition is a good thing. I don’t think we’ve been anywhere near as exciting as some people have made us out to be post-break, so I don’t really think last night was a massive step down in that regard. We just got challenged and we reverted to playing it down the middle and playing for field position a bit more than we’ve had to in previous weeks.

My opinion on Woolf hasn’t changed at all really. He’s a top coach, really talented, but possibly not the best fit for us in 2020 given that he inherited a side that had finally gotten back to playing something like the way we want Saints to play, after a decade of us being nowhere near. His ideas are different and whilst I reckon this bloke would have been a dream choice following Cunningham (for example) he has followed a really popular coach who valued creative RL a bit more and got us a league title.

But, we’re top of the league as everybody would say, and if we end up with either of the major pots in a strange season we’ll all take it and move on, whether we are fully on board or not. If we’re winning and in contention then the other arguments can be had another time. As much as I understand the doubts some have, you can end up looking like a really spoiled fanbase moaning about stuff when you’re top of the league in the middle of a pandemic!

Learning All The Songs

Austin could practise kicking to Lineham as he has expertise and safe hands when it comes to ball handling!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I personally quite like close games every now and again....

My opinion on Woolf hasn’t changed at all really.... He’s a top coach, really talented, but possibly not the best fit for us in 2020... he has followed a really popular coach who valued creative RL a bit more and got us a league title...

But, we’re top of the league... If we’re winning and in contention then the other arguments can be had another time....
    Really well put Gray77 and a great summary of where we're at in these strange times. Pretty much sums up my sentiments too

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Yeah, I think LMS should be in ahead of Lees next week.
    certainly. Lees hasn't improved as he has got older

Learning All The Songs

We know a week out that Welsby will be targeted. I'm not reviewing his recent history or his development curve, I'm simply saying that he's proven weak under the high ball. 2/2 errors last night continues the trend. If he's to play wing then Woolf will need a game plan to protect him. I'm not sure that Woolf will do that as I'm concerned with his tactical nouse & game management but seemingly others are not so perhaps we shouldn't be too concerned. Warringtons attack is based on pace but also on tactical attacking kicks and we need a 'Hooper Plan' as mentioned or some other approach else it'll be untenable after 10mins and a long 70 after that. I'll bet Austin is on the field this morning already practising high bombs to an imaginary right winger in preparation.

our problem is that all the backs are on the small side so we will struggle when the ball is kicked on the last near the line

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    certainly. Lees hasn't improved as he has got older
    Agree that LMS offering more than Lees currently. I think/hope Lees has got some improvement in him - just needs more time, experience and coaching. The way he's come back after last seasons injury is quite remarkable in itself.

Got A Season Ticket

I thought the forwards where poor last night apart from Jammer and Walmsley. Lees and Anor where ineffective when they came on and it shows how much we miss LMS off the bench. Zeb didn’t look fit and Bentley looked tired. I thought the backs did a decent job taking the ball up. We was lucky to win and I think Woolfe needs to start rotating the squad.

On the ref last night, what I don’t understand is every time the ball was lost, when Saints had the ball it was a loose carry and when Hull KR had the ball it was a ball steel and Saints where penalised. I may be wrong but Hadley was pulling at the ball every time he made a tackle

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    our problem is that all the backs are on the small side so we will struggle when the ball is kicked on the last near the line
    Welsby looks like a big powerful lad to me.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    I thought the forwards where poor last night apart from Jammer and Walmsley. Lees and Anor where ineffective when they came on and it shows how much we miss LMS off the bench. Zeb didn’t look fit and Bentley looked tired. I thought the backs did a decent job taking the ball up. We was lucky to win and I think Woolfe needs to start rotating the squad.

On the ref last night, what I don’t understand is every time the ball was lost, when Saints had the ball it was a loose carry and when Hull KR had the ball it was a ball steel and Saints where penalised. I may be wrong but Hadley was pulling at the ball every time he made a tackle
    Sorry but I disagree with you about Amor. I thought he did well.

In The South Stand

Welsby is 6 foot 2 inches and 14 1/2 stone is quite big for someone who’s preferred position is half back.

It was only just over a season ago that we were saying more or less the same thing about Grace, I can remember many on here saying that they were nervous when he took a high ball or returned the ball into a couple of forwards.

Most of our promising young players will gradual gain consistency when they have game time and more so if they play in one position, a couple of nervy performances just goes with the terrority. On Welsby I seem to remember he got a man of the match against Warrington, I think he has the right temperament to not let his head drop for too long when things don't go his way,. I.m pretty sure the coaching staff have similar thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Welsby is 6 foot 2 inches and 14 1/2 stone is quite big for someone who’s preferred position is half back.
    We've not had a lot of big half backs, Leon Pryce was 1" taller and 1 stone heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Really well put Gray77 and a great summary of where we're at in these strange times. Pretty much sums up my sentiments too
    Yes I agree a well considered input, I've read it a few times and there's not much I'd argue with at all.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think Woolf will move Welsby from that wing spot at the moment having scored 3 tries, 12 tackle busts, 166m + 188m, 1 missed tackle in his 2 winger appearances those stats are closer to Makinson output stat and I don't think Costello will be anywhere near that. If Kev gets a ban then its a straight decision to play Costello or Simm for that centre spot, Simm is a natural right centre Costello can play both.

Whatever the outcome we need a good defensive second rower on that side and Peyroux can be a bit hit and miss, LMS is due back next week so maybe he can do a job there. Bit of a dilemma for Woolf to decide on.

To negate the last tackle threat with the kick I would like to see Austin get hammered every time he touches the ball, someone Hooper esq perhaps give that job to big hitter Knowles.
    They are impressive stats, but you can’t ignore that he dropped two bombs and has tended to do that whenever played on the wing. That can be the difference between winning and losing a big game. I’m not sure what other options we have for that wing spot, though.

Learning All The Songs

I fear for Welsby next week if he plays on the wing against Wire, as they will just bombard him constantly. He has trouble catching a ball and it’s not just a one off, he’s going to have to get plenty of practice in for next week. We will have to improve our kicking game because at times it is average. Id put Batchelor on the bench for Peyroux. Walmsley & Amor were our best forwards last night, and i still don’t get the hype with Lees.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

To be fair to Lees he had a very nasty injury and seems to have lost quite a bit of weight he will take a while to get back to full power
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Sorry but I disagree with you about Amor. I thought he did well.
    He was better than Lees but that’s all

We struggled without Jammer and Walmsley on the field

If we don’t get on top and score points in the first 25-30 mins we struggle for the next 30 mins or so

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Saints play to the same formula each week.

It's effective and it's difficult to consider changing a winning system but it does mean the more experienced coaches can send their teams out prepared to deal with it.

We know we're going to start with Walmsley and Graham and batter up the middle but if you can hold them out for 20mins they go off and the subs aren't as effective.

We know that mainly Fages and occasionally Coote will kick on the last tackle so you and target both of them to try and get in their faces.

Near the line in Fages will often put in a reverse grubber over the tryline for Coote.

There's plenty of other set plays I could list, but any coach worth his salt can go through a few match videos and pick them out.

Fortunately we've got good players so even though the opposition know what to look out for they can't always stop it.

Price has done a job on us a few times and he certainly will have Saints weighed up for next week.

It is difficult to change a winning formula but against the better teams we just need a bit of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Saints play to the same formula each week.

It's effective and it's difficult to consider changing a winning system but it does mean the more experienced coaches can send their teams out prepared to deal with it.

We know we're going to start with Walmsley and Graham and batter up the middle but if you can hold them out for 20mins they go off and the subs aren't as effective.

We know that mainly Fages and occasionally Coote will kick on the last tackle so you and target both of them to try and get in their faces.

Near the line in Fages will often put in a reverse grubber over the tryline for Coote.

There's plenty of other set plays I could list, but any coach worth his salt can go through a few match videos and pick them out.

Fortunately we've got good players so even though the opposition know what to look out for they can't always stop it.

Price has done a job on us a few times and he certainly will have Saints weighed up for next week.

It is difficult to change a winning formula but against the better teams we just need a bit of variety.
    Too true, I was calling it guile yesterday I'd translate as the ability to change things from the norm as you see fit, bit more intelligence to unlock a defence & not to keep rinse and repeating as is currently happening.