Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans back into the stadiums

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Who’s loving RU? I merely stated that Gloucester is a fairly average town (I’ve been many times) and that Gloucester RU do not have a fanbase that even remotely matches your stereotype, because if they did it would be a hell of a lot more expensive to get a ticket there than it is to get one at our working class, bread and butter RL club. Ticket prices are more or less the same, which indicates a fairly similar demographic of fans. If Gloucester passed the safety tests and proved that they could safely get a thousand fans into Kingsholm why should people begrudge them that right because of historical events that those people had no control or influence over?

I haven’t noticed any test matches at Lords this year, with the MCC members allowed in exclusively. I haven’t noticed Wimbledon rescheduled with tickets just given to a thousand VIPs on centre court, and I haven’t noticed the Varsity RU game (the most establishment game on the RU calendar) back on this year with a crowd either. All these events are the actual stereotype of what you think club RU is, but none of these things have been given a pass.

I agree about the history, and I don’t think I’ve ever cheered for the England team at RU in my entire life. I also hardly ever watch RU outside of a Lions Tour or the odd game at a World Cup, and I’m hardly a fan of the public school system that has allowed the game to flourish. But I don’t think those things are even remotely relevant to Gloucester being able to have a thousand fans in Kingsholm. If this right was being given to some of the stuff I mentioned above, maybe we’d have cause to complain. But people of a very average town in the West Country being allowed to watch their team because it’s deemed safe to do so? That’s nothing to do with anything other than safety requirements being met.
    Calling Glaaaaawster fairly average as a town is diplomatic! Its the epitome of bog rough west country.
    Their shed fans in particular enjoy giving the ‘big time Charlie’s from London’ a good hiding. I recall Lawrence Dallalgio used to get a ton of abuse. Also found Northampton fairly edgy too.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I know a lot of the history of RL but you are right there are many different type of fan and Player. I played League at school and until I was in my late teens. I started playing Union, because friends of mine were going playing all over England while I was playing at different parts of St Helens and Widnes etc. When I left home I went to what was then Rhodesia, if you wanted to play rugby RU was the only option. I worked in several countries were you could only play Union and made some great friends doing so, people very much like myself. The fact that I played RU doesn't make me any different from the lad that grew up and played RL in St Helens.
    I also played RL as a youth then RU as I travelled with work, I didn't feel any different (once I'd learnt the written and unwritten rules of scrummaging)! It's nonsense to apply a stereotype to the fan bases when it's simply a matter of geography in how near to the M62 you live, work & play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=WalkieTalkie;798638]I also played RL as a youth then RU as I travelled with work, I didn't feel any different (once I'd learnt the written and unwritten rules of scrummaging)! It's nonsense to apply a stereotype to the fan bases when it's simply a matter of geography in how near to the M62 you live, work & play

Nothing wrong with Rugby Union. I’ve played and followed both codes all my life, having said that. Come on you Saints.

Banned

I think Exeter and Saracens were the most expensive season tickets in 2019-20. Exeter’s most expensive worked at around £48 a game and Saracens were £70. But these were top of the pile season tickets. I think all clubs in the RU Prem have season tickets that are less than £300 or so, and most of them cover European pool games as well usually.

I think there’s actually a marked difference between professsional club RU in England and the very obvious establishment links to the game. The public school system and the leading universities very much foster a certain privileged image of the game, and there are obviously a lot of well to do types that follow the national team and get very worked up about the six nations and such like. But a lot of these people do not follow club teams. If you met a casual middle class RU type there’s a decent chance they will not follow a club side, but they’ll follow England and be able to tell you all about certain elements of the culture of the sport that they are in to.

You have a game which has obviously thrived because of establishment support, both official and in terms of favourable media coverage. But the leading club sides play in towns like Leicester, Northampton, Coventry, Gloucester, etc. The establishment never really tried to inject professional club sides in Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc, because the club game worked independently of the type of RU culture that thrives in leading university towns, which some on here quite rightly talk about and get annoyed by.

I agree with Webbo and others that this culture has worked to harm and nearly kill RL over the last century, and it’s a culture that I want nothing to do with. But that isn’t the same culture that exists in most fanbases of club sides, because the two don’t actually mix that freely. The success of people like Farrell, Ford and Edwards kind of shows that the professional game holds no such prejudices against our sport that maybe the establishment wing of the game holds. I’m merely trying to show that there isn’t a monolithic Rugby Union type. Most fans who go to watch club games are not much different to those that watch RL games in general.
    Saracens have got a cheek charging £70 given the state of thier ground as for preudice it still runs deep only have to see what Steve Diamond thinks of our game and Clive Woodward said Farrells red card was down to his tackling ttechnique leatned in League !! Strange that as he's not played the game since he was 10

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Saracens have got a cheek charging £70 given the state of thier ground as for preudice it still runs deep only have to see what Steve Diamond thinks of our game and Clive Woodward said Farrells red card was down to his tackling ttechnique leatned in League !! Strange that as he's not played the game since he was 10
    Saracens never fill the place, they get shocking crowds, so I assume they have some 'premier' seats that they try to fill to make up for the lack of gate receipts compared to others.

As for prejudice, well yes, some people in RU think RL is a bit crap, think it's not as good a sport and will knock things about the game. Who on here doesn't think RL is better than RU? Are we prejudiced, yes probably, and I know I'm probably prejudiced against Union in a lot of ways, but I doubt they'd care. Why should we care if some people in Union think they're better than us, it's hardly a crime.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Dose this mean we will be having home and away games again or is it 1000 fans to watch 2 or 3 games on a nuteral ground.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Think it's home and away, I presume that'll depend on the rent of each stadium

Itll be home fans only, which is fine

Got A Season Ticket

It says areas on the watchlist won’t be permitted to host games so that pretty much rules out us, Warrington and possibly some Yorkshire clubs for the time being.

Starting A Programme Collection

Saracens never fill the place, they get shocking crowds, so I assume they have some 'premier' seats that they try to fill to make up for the lack of gate receipts compared to others.

As for prejudice, well yes, some people in RU think RL is a bit crap, think it's not as good a sport and will knock things about the game. Who on here doesn't think RL is better than RU? Are we prejudiced, yes probably, and I know I'm probably prejudiced against Union in a lot of ways, but I doubt they'd care. Why should we care if some people in Union think they're better than us, it's hardly a crime.
    It was a crime in Vichy France and perpetuated over here by the 'establishment'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    As for books, try 'The Petition' by Ray Gent. I was with him outside the House of Commons when he handed the actual petition in.
    I've got it. I've got a quote in it.

Learning All The Songs

How will Salford and Huddesfield find 1000 fans?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    How will Salford and Huddesfield find 1000 fans?
    Salford aren’t allowed to be part of the pilot due to being in local lockdown.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/09/1...-pilot-events/

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    Salford aren’t allowed to be part of the pilot due to being in local lockdown.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/09/1...-pilot-events/
    So for the derby game it's 1000 home fans only. It would be quite funny if they all left early!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I've got it. I've got a quote in it.
    Who were you slagging off?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kentishbarry View Post
    who were you slagging off?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Think it's home and away, I presume that'll depend on the rent of each stadium

Itll be home fans only, which is fine
    We don't rent our stadium.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    We don't rent our stadium.
    I'm on about other teams

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I'm on about other teams
    I assumed so, I just wanted to point out we're not rent boys.

Banned

St Helens Borough up to 108 cases per 100,000, with Newton & Earlestown at 232

UK average is currently 16

Local lockdown on the way. Don't know how this affects Saints.

The government has totally bolloxed up the testing, too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

St Helens Borough up to 108 cases per 100,000, with Newton & Earlestown at 232

UK average is currently 16

Local lockdown on the way. Don't know how this affects Saints.

The government has totally bolloxed up the testing, too.
    Was this your quote in the book?

Banned

Quotations from Chairman Mao?

Banned

It seems to be a constant, these days so you can say it about pretty much anything and it'll be true.

Banned

It seems to be a constant, these days so you can say it about pretty much anything and it'll be true.
    I said something that was entirely truthful on Facebook on Sunday night. I'm currently serving a 7 day ban for it.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 18th September 2020 at 15:11. Reason: Overweight Spurs fans from Ireland

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I said something that was entirely truthful on Facebook on Sunday night. I'm currently serving a 7 day ban for it.
    Your ‘reason’ has made me chuckle.