Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
Who’s loving RU? I merely stated that Gloucester is a fairly average town (I’ve been many times) and that Gloucester RU do not have a fanbase that even remotely matches your stereotype, because if they did it would be a hell of a lot more expensive to get a ticket there than it is to get one at our working class, bread and butter RL club. Ticket prices are more or less the same, which indicates a fairly similar demographic of fans. If Gloucester passed the safety tests and proved that they could safely get a thousand fans into Kingsholm why should people begrudge them that right because of historical events that those people had no control or influence over?

I haven’t noticed any test matches at Lords this year, with the MCC members allowed in exclusively. I haven’t noticed Wimbledon rescheduled with tickets just given to a thousand VIPs on centre court, and I haven’t noticed the Varsity RU game (the most establishment game on the RU calendar) back on this year with a crowd either. All these events are the actual stereotype of what you think club RU is, but none of these things have been given a pass.

I agree about the history, and I don’t think I’ve ever cheered for the England team at RU in my entire life. I also hardly ever watch RU outside of a Lions Tour or the odd game at a World Cup, and I’m hardly a fan of the public school system that has allowed the game to flourish. But I don’t think those things are even remotely relevant to Gloucester being able to have a thousand fans in Kingsholm. If this right was being given to some of the stuff I mentioned above, maybe we’d have cause to complain. But people of a very average town in the West Country being allowed to watch their team because it’s deemed safe to do so? That’s nothing to do with anything other than safety requirements being met.
Calling Glaaaaawster fairly average as a town is diplomatic! Its the epitome of bog rough west country.
Their shed fans in particular enjoy giving the ‘big time Charlie’s from London’ a good hiding. I recall Lawrence Dallalgio used to get a ton of abuse. Also found Northampton fairly edgy too.