Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans back into the stadiums

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Radlinski was talking about delaying the kick off time by a 4 hours for the Derby so we could kick off at midnight and have fans in the ground. (It was made clear to ST holders that those that opted to donate got first dibs on tickets to reduced capacity matches). With the current surge in +ve Covid tests I can see the Govt suspending any reduced capacity trials, another lockdown and fans not attending any sporting event or gig til after Xmas at the earliest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Feelgood View Post
    Radlinski was talking about delaying the kick off time by a 4 hours for the Derby so we could kick off at midnight and have fans in the ground. (It was made clear to ST holders that those that opted to donate got first dibs on tickets to reduced capacity matches). With the current surge in +ve Covid tests I can see the Govt suspending any reduced capacity trials, another lockdown and fans not attending any sporting event or gig til after Xmas at the earliest.
    Am I missing something? With regard to covid what is the difference between 8 and midnight? Is that after Covid's bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Am I missing something? With regard to covid what is the difference between 8 and midnight? Is that after Covid's bedtime.
    It’s because October 1st was the date that some fans were allowed back into stadiums. Our game with Wigan is 30th September. Midnight would be 1st October, that’s his point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why hasn’t the DW been used for games yet?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Presume we'll have to pay for it, and maybe the football clubs don't want five matches on..

That's why Leeds, Saints and wire have been used..

That said, Huddersfield and Salford are being used for the cup

Banned

If I remember Huddersfield RLFC have 15% ownership of the ground. Wigan don't have that ownership element. Perhaps they are behind the couch now looking for change to buy the DW. I think unless the Whelan family change course the football club is finished by Christmas.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Go past there on my bike run, the past 3 weeks its going through some form of internal refurbishment on the seating. It's a bit smelly at the ground might be scraping 2" thick pie crusts off the seats.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Feelgood View Post
    Yep, think November at the earliest.. interestingly SAGE had outdoor sporting events as low risk for passing on infections

France have over 10,000 daily cases at the moment, but has pushed on with sporting events

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    It’s because October 1st was the date that some fans were allowed back into stadiums. Our game with Wigan is 30th September. Midnight would be 1st October, that’s his point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok thanks. That went over my head.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

How have Rugby Union ended up with fans in when they started after us? Eton boys club maybe?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    How have Rugby Union ended up with fans in when they started after us? Eton boys club maybe?
    Probably down to the same reason that no more than six people can meet up outside unless they are wearing tweed and carrying shotguns, in which case any number is allowed.

Banned

Covid not only knows to stay out of pubs, it also knows which class of people to attack, obviously us working class plebs brought up on lard and woodbines have much weaker immune systems.

I don't really know, but might it have something to do with the fact that the RU teams are all playing at their home grounds and may well only be admitting home supporters (I think!) whereas we are obviously in groundshare mode = problems with which fans to allow in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Probably down to the same reason that no more than six people can meet up outside unless they are wearing tweed and carrying shotguns, in which case any number is allowed.
    Spot on.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Maybe it's just because RU fans can get through the turnstiles without massive chips on their shoulders?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Maybe it's just because RU fans can get through the turnstiles without massive chips on their shoulders?
    Yep, good shout. Those well known elite towns like Gloucester get all the establishment perks.

Given that their season tickets are pretty much the same price as Saints ones, they’re obviously unaware that all their fans are toffs.
    Last edited by Gray77; 15th September 2020 at 16:26.

You have a point

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yep, good shout. Those well known elite towns like Gloucester get all the establishment perks.

Given that their season tickets are pretty much the same price as Saints ones, they’re obviously unaware that all their fans are toffs.
    As do you

Banned

Wow. Rewriting of history.

Let's all love a sport that for over a century tried to destroy ours, and is one of the Establishment sports of public schools, run by ex-public schoolboys, and with the vast majority of England caps being awarded to public schoolboys.

A lot in common with the elite 'sport' of grouse shooting.

Banned

Totally wrong, Nigel Wood couldn't fit through the turnstiles carrying or not carrying his chips. The establishment hate us. Have a read of the book by Peter Harvey ex Saints. its a bit of a different type of biography but its quite a decent piece of social history.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Totally wrong, Nigel Wood couldn't fit through the turnstiles carrying or not carrying his chips. The establishment hate us. Have a read of the book by Peter Harvey ex Saints. its a bit of a different type of biography but its quite a decent piece of social history.
    Oh I'm well aware of the history mate, social and otherwise.
    As for books, try 'The Petition' by Ray Gent. I was with him outside the House of Commons when he handed the actual petition in.
    There's no way I'm trying to rewrite anything (Webbo), and I certainly don't 'love' RU!
    It just gets a bit silly when some try to portray all RU fans as toffs. Just as daft as saying we're all a bunch of flat capped pigeon fanciers with whippets!

If RU are going to be allowed to let fans in before us, then it's more likely down to their organisation being a little bit more 'professional' than ours!

Edit. Forgot to say that the last grouse shooters I saw looked like a David Brent-esque office jolly!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wow. Rewriting of history.

Let's all love a sport that for over a century tried to destroy ours, and is one of the Establishment sports of public schools, run by ex-public schoolboys, and with the vast majority of England caps being awarded to public schoolboys.

A lot in common with the elite 'sport' of grouse shooting.
    Who’s loving RU? I merely stated that Gloucester is a fairly average town (I’ve been many times) and that Gloucester RU do not have a fanbase that even remotely matches your stereotype, because if they did it would be a hell of a lot more expensive to get a ticket there than it is to get one at our working class, bread and butter RL club. Ticket prices are more or less the same, which indicates a fairly similar demographic of fans. If Gloucester passed the safety tests and proved that they could safely get a thousand fans into Kingsholm why should people begrudge them that right because of historical events that those people had no control or influence over?

I haven’t noticed any test matches at Lords this year, with the MCC members allowed in exclusively. I haven’t noticed Wimbledon rescheduled with tickets just given to a thousand VIPs on centre court, and I haven’t noticed the Varsity RU game (the most establishment game on the RU calendar) back on this year with a crowd either. All these events are the actual stereotype of what you think club RU is, but none of these things have been given a pass.

I agree about the history, and I don’t think I’ve ever cheered for the England team at RU in my entire life. I also hardly ever watch RU outside of a Lions Tour or the odd game at a World Cup, and I’m hardly a fan of the public school system that has allowed the game to flourish. But I don’t think those things are even remotely relevant to Gloucester being able to have a thousand fans in Kingsholm. If this right was being given to some of the stuff I mentioned above, maybe we’d have cause to complain. But people of a very average town in the West Country being allowed to watch their team because it’s deemed safe to do so? That’s nothing to do with anything other than safety requirements being met.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Who’s loving RU? I merely stated that Gloucester is a fairly average town (I’ve been many times) and that Gloucester RU do not have a fanbase that even remotely matches your stereotype, because if they did it would be a hell of a lot more expensive to get a ticket there than it is to get one at our working class, bread and butter RL club. Ticket prices are more or less the same, which indicates a fairly similar demographic of fans. If Gloucester passed the safety tests and proved that they could safely get a thousand fans into Kingsholm why should people begrudge them that right because of historical events that those people had no control or influence over?

I haven’t noticed any test matches at Lords this year, with the MCC members allowed in exclusively. I haven’t noticed Wimbledon rescheduled with tickets just given to a thousand VIPs on centre court, and I haven’t noticed the Varsity RU game (the most establishment game on the RU calendar) back on this year with a crowd either. All these events are the actual stereotype of what you think club RU is, but none of these things have been given a pass.

I agree about the history, and I don’t think I’ve ever cheered for the England team at RU in my entire life. I also hardly ever watch RU outside of a Lions Tour or the odd game at a World Cup, and I’m hardly a fan of the public school system that has allowed the game to flourish. But I don’t think those things are even remotely relevant to Gloucester being able to have a thousand fans in Kingsholm. If this right was being given to some of the stuff I mentioned above, maybe we’d have cause to complain. But people of a very average town in the West Country being allowed to watch their team because it’s deemed safe to do so? That’s nothing to do with anything other than safety requirements being met.
    Sometime last year I looked at the prices union teams charge can't remember them all but I know Exeter charged £30 to stand up in the centre section and £50 to sit down

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Sometime last year I looked at the prices union teams charge can't remember them all but I know Exeter charged £30 to stand up in the centre section and £50 to sit down
    I think Exeter and Saracens were the most expensive season tickets in 2019-20. Exeter’s most expensive worked at around £48 a game and Saracens were £70. But these were top of the pile season tickets. I think all clubs in the RU Prem have season tickets that are less than £300 or so, and most of them cover European pool games as well usually.

I think there’s actually a marked difference between professsional club RU in England and the very obvious establishment links to the game. The public school system and the leading universities very much foster a certain privileged image of the game, and there are obviously a lot of well to do types that follow the national team and get very worked up about the six nations and such like. But a lot of these people do not follow club teams. If you met a casual middle class RU type there’s a decent chance they will not follow a club side, but they’ll follow England and be able to tell you all about certain elements of the culture of the sport that they are in to.

You have a game which has obviously thrived because of establishment support, both official and in terms of favourable media coverage. But the leading club sides play in towns like Leicester, Northampton, Coventry, Gloucester, etc. The establishment never really tried to inject professional club sides in Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc, because the club game worked independently of the type of RU culture that thrives in leading university towns, which some on here quite rightly talk about and get annoyed by.

I agree with Webbo and others that this culture has worked to harm and nearly kill RL over the last century, and it’s a culture that I want nothing to do with. But that isn’t the same culture that exists in most fanbases of club sides, because the two don’t actually mix that freely. The success of people like Farrell, Ford and Edwards kind of shows that the professional game holds no such prejudices against our sport that maybe the establishment wing of the game holds. I’m merely trying to show that there isn’t a monolithic Rugby Union type. Most fans who go to watch club games are not much different to those that watch RL games in general.

Oh I'm well aware of the history mate, social and otherwise.
    As for books, try 'The Petition' by Ray Gent. I was with him outside the House of Commons when he handed the actual petition in.
    There's no way I'm trying to rewrite anything (Webbo), and I certainly don't 'love' RU!
    It just gets a bit silly when some try to portray all RU fans as toffs. Just as daft as saying we're all a bunch of flat capped pigeon fanciers with whippets!

If RU are going to be allowed to let fans in before us, then it's more likely down to their organisation being a little bit more 'professional' than ours!

Edit. Forgot to say that the last grouse shooters I saw looked like a David Brent-esque office jolly!
    I know a lot of the history of RL but you are right there are many different type of fan and Player. I played League at school and until I was in my late teens. I started playing Union, because friends of mine were going playing all over England while I was playing at different parts of St Helens and Widnes etc. When I left home I went to what was then Rhodesia, if you wanted to play rugby RU was the only option. I worked in several countries were you could only play Union and made some great friends doing so, people very much like myself. The fact that I played RU doesn't make me any different from the lad that grew up and played RL in St Helens.