Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: Fans back into the stadiums

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Direland
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Fans back into the stadiums

    I know there were suggestions about a month ago that by the end of September we could expect some fans back into the stadium albeit 25% capacity. It seems to have gone very quiet since then although we have heard that the RFU being allowed fans in Twickers for the Barbarians game. Bearing in mind its the 8th today and any Superleague club would require a minimum of 2 weeks for allocating fans attending and maximising social distancing in the stadia where possible, it would only leave a week for the necessary announcements to be made.

    Maybe the increasing levels of infection is delaying all this?

    If it does happen and we are limited to 25% attendance (4,500) I don't know how the club will manage that bearing in mind we have 7,000 + members the majority of which have donated any outstanding season ticket credits.

  2. #2
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,225
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTSAM View Post
    I know there were suggestions about a month ago that by the end of September we could expect some fans back into the stadium albeit 25% capacity. It seems to have gone very quiet since then although we have heard that the RFU being allowed fans in Twickers for the Barbarians game. Bearing in mind its the 8th today and any Superleague club would require a minimum of 2 weeks for allocating fans attending and maximising social distancing in the stadia where possible, it would only leave a week for the necessary announcements to be made.

    Maybe the increasing levels of infection is delaying all this?

    If it does happen and we are limited to 25% attendance (4,500) I don't know how the club will manage that bearing in mind we have 7,000 + members the majority of which have donated any outstanding season ticket credits.
    I noticed that there were some fans watching the Harlequins game at the Stoop on the TV game last weekend.

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,228
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Officially it was from October but SL were trying to agree with the government and PHE that we could bring it forward a couple of days for our games at the end of the month. Haven't read anything more about it since.

    I think everyone also has to start with test events at really low capacity first and work up to the max allowed, although can't remember the figures.

    Presumably they'll do a ballot of ticket holders for those who still want to attend.

  4. #4
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,665
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I don't know what the official figure is for members, but as the attendance given vs Huddersfield was 10418 pre kickdown, it's probably not far off that

    I would also think that if a survey was held, a fair percentage of our older supporters may choose to pass on attending just yet. Which could knock it down to something like every other game.

    On current form, the club may find out the night before that we're allowed a certain amount in from the government

    On a side note I'd read that they're hopeful of a 22,000 attendance for Wembley

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,419
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I think 2,000 is a fair estimate to start with because it'll just be the North and South stands to begin with as you cannot really do allocated bubbles on a terrace. It seems like the Quins did a good job over the weekend. But anyone who's been to the Stoop (quite a few I imagine) knows that it has quite a lot of space in terms of the walk ways in front of the stands and spaces in the corners, so it was an ideal suburban ground to try it out. Given the size of the concourses at LP and given there is lots of space around the ground for distancing and working out one way systems in and out, etc, I think we have a ground that should be able to cope with a gradual re-introduction.

    The question is how you allocate the seats for the games.

  6. #6
    Got A Season Ticket volls_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think 2,000 is a fair estimate to start with because it'll just be the North and South stands to begin with as you cannot really do allocated bubbles on a terrace. It seems like the Quins did a good job over the weekend. But anyone who's been to the Stoop (quite a few I imagine) knows that it has quite a lot of space in terms of the walk ways in front of the stands and spaces in the corners, so it was an ideal suburban ground to try it out. Given the size of the concourses at LP and given there is lots of space around the ground for distancing and working out one way systems in and out, etc, I think we have a ground that should be able to cope with a gradual re-introduction.

    The question is how you allocate the seats for the games.
    Won't there be a problem with the fact that the concourses are now being used as the training base?

  7. #7
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,384
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    If the infection rate R is 1+ and we start getting 3000+ per day the government will probably put stadium attendances on hold.

    Also I wonder what % of season ticket holders donated the costs back to the club, if it's around 5000 I think they should be allocated a stadium attendance first. The other consideration is that there are not many home games left.

  8. #8
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,111
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If the infection rate R is 1+ and we start getting 3000+ per day the government will probably put stadium attendances on hold.

    Also I wonder what % of season ticket holders donated the costs back to the club, if it's around 5000 I think they should be allocated a stadium attendance first. The other consideration is that there are not many home games left.


    Given the amount of people I see in shops who give two fingers to the idea of wearing a mask to help restrict the spread, I fear we're not going to see out the season because a surge is just around the corner
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Direland
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Think over 80% had donated according to early indications from the club and this was mirrored by other SL clubs

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEWTOWN AREA
    Posts
    1,174
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If the infection rate R is 1+ and we start getting 3000+ per day the government will probably put stadium attendances on hold.

    Also I wonder what % of season ticket holders donated the costs back to the club, if it's around 5000 I think they should be allocated a stadium attendance first. The other consideration is that there are not many home games left.
    Agree 100% .

  11. #11
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,225
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If the infection rate R is 1+ and we start getting 3000+ per day the government will probably put stadium attendances on hold.

    Also I wonder what % of season ticket holders donated the costs back to the club, if it's around 5000 I think they should be allocated a stadium attendance first. The other consideration is that there are not many home games left.
    I don’t agree - it’s not morally right to prioritise on the basis of affordability. Genuine supporters who have asked for their money back because of unavoidable financial difficulties shouldn’t be penalised. Also - it wasn’t an optional “bonus” offered to those that did donate. People who were in two minds might have been swayed if this had been stipulated.

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy h View Post
    Agree 100% .
    Ye , agree. The latest infection rate is going to sore with kids going back to school. Things are going to naturally get worse . However , if social distancing can be achieved in stadia then it should not present itself as a hot spot for infection .

    It’s a tricky situation . Just been told two primary school class bubbles have had to self isolate for 14 days from today . The parents of those children do not. Give it two weeks and I can see significant changes to restrictions

  13. #13
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,973
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Thr RL may use Cats as an indicator, on an approach to Govt. Cats are allowing 5000 in for the Wigan game. They have more than 5000 ST holders and they have asked any ST holders that will not be attending to notify them, so that they can decide on how the 5000 are allocated.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,384
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I don’t agree - it’s not morally right to prioritise on the basis of affordability. Genuine supporters who have asked for their money back because of unavoidable financial difficulties shouldn’t be penalised. Also - it wasn’t an optional “bonus” offered to those that did donate. People who were in two minds might have been swayed if this had been stipulated.
    Its a very difficult one, I personally put the club first before my own financial difficulty and donated my season ticket costs because I had already made the outlay. However I think I probably would be a bit miffed if someone who had received a refund has then got my seat to attend a game.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,225
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a very difficult one, I personally put the club first before my own financial difficulty and donated my season ticket costs because I had already made the outlay. However I think I probably would be a bit miffed if someone who had received a refund has then got my seat to attend a game.
    I did the same and would no doubt feel the same but I think it’s more unfair to prioritise
    “ donators”.

  16. #16
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    401
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I noticed that there were some fans watching the Harlequins game at the Stoop on the TV game last weekend.
    They had 3 and a half thousand in

  17. #17
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    456
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Agreed.
    Just for the record, I donated.
    Replying to St. George

  18. #18
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I did the same and would no doubt feel the same but I think it’s more unfair to prioritise
    “ donators”.
    Alternatively, If you look at it from the clubs point of view, if they prioritised those who had asked for a refund - that would be less matches that they would have to refund so therefore better for the finances?

    Many ways to look at it, but think you are right, it’s unfair to prioritise anybody from the options picked, and possibly the only way to do it is an online ballot for those who actually want to attend (with perhaps some choosing to stay away).

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,204
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I think we need the daily infections to start levelling off before we think of fans going back.

    I appreciate that a lot of the new cases are based on testing but if the number tested each day is constant then the number of positives each day should be roughly the same but it has gone up a lot the last few days (fortunately not too bad in sunny St Helens).

  20. #20
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a very difficult one, I personally put the club first before my own financial difficulty and donated my season ticket costs because I had already made the outlay. However I think I probably would be a bit miffed if someone who had received a refund has then got my seat to attend a game.
    Remember Stiddy,
    You will only be donating the portion left 'unused' on your ST.
    As it stands, anyone with a season ticket has already paid for games.

  21. #21
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,384
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Remember Stiddy,
    You will only be donating the portion left 'unused' on your ST.
    As it stands, anyone with a season ticket has already paid for games.
    Yes I know, I think at the time of lockdown we only got 2 games out of a total of around 14 home games and one of those was a "forfeit" in terms of result we played Toronto and Huddersfield at home. My biggest worry is not this season but will be getting into the stadium for 2021 and will supporters be buying a season ticket in advance for next year.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,111
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I think we need the daily infections to start levelling off before we think of fans going back.

    I appreciate that a lot of the new cases are based on testing but if the number tested each day is constant then the number of positives each day should be roughly the same but it has gone up a lot the last few days (fortunately not too bad in sunny St Helens).


    Strong rumours the Govt is to announce new restrictions on gatherings - a max of 6 indoors or out, unless due to work or education. If true, this would knock any ideas for crowds returning into touch.

    Not surprised, though. The amount of selfish a-holes who refuse to wear a mask or social distance is a disgrace, all egged on by conspiracy nuts.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,277
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Strong rumours the Govt is to announce new restrictions on gatherings - a max of 6 indoors or out, unless due to work or education. If true, this would knock any ideas for crowds returning into touch.

    Not surprised, though. The amount of selfish a-holes who refuse to wear a mask or social distance is a disgrace, all egged on by conspiracy nuts.
    I'm at a loss with some people, it's not much to ask to wear a mask in a shop and socially distance. With work etc. it's not 100% possible 100% of the time but my employer/work colleagues have made a decent effort but even members of my own family have at times ignored it which has really annoyed me, selfish swines and I've told them also ��

  24. #24
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,973
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Strong rumours the Govt is to announce new restrictions on gatherings - a max of 6 indoors or out, unless due to work or education. If true, this would knock any ideas for crowds returning into touch.

    Not surprised, though. The amount of selfish a-holes who refuse to wear a mask or social distance is a disgrace, all egged on by conspiracy nuts.
    The 6 limit no longer a rumour, already announced. As you say, a idiots and conspiracy nuts make life difficult for everyone.

  25. #25
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,204
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The 6 limit no longer a rumour, already announced. As you say, a idiots and conspiracy nuts make life difficult for everyone.
    Problem is a lot of people will flout the rule because the don't think rules apply to them.

    Its going to damage a lot of businesses, whilst they don't directly affect St Helens if you add all the "local" lockdowns together they cover most of the North of England.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •