Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: 19 man squad v Huddersfield

  1. #1
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,715
    Rep Power
    24

    Default 19 man squad v Huddersfield

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/09/0...rsfield-clash/

    IN: Josh Eaves, Joe Batchelor
    OUT: James Roby, Zab Taia

    1. Lachlan Coote, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 12, Dom Peyroux, 13. LMS, 14. Morgan Knowles, 15. Matty Lees, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Jack Ashworth, 19. Aaron Smith, 20. James Bentley, 21. Matty Costello, 22. Jack Welsby, 23, Joe Batchelor, 24, Josh Eaves, 26, Josh Simm, 27. Lewis Dodd, 32. James Graham.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  2. #2
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,715
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    A few different options again this week. Assuming Fages is fit I would guess at:

    Coote, Welsby, Naiqama, Costello (would prefer Simm), Grace, Lomax, Fages, Graham, Smith, Walmsley, Bentley, Peyroux, Knowles.

    Subs: LMS, Amor, Lees, Batchelor

    If he's replacing like for like then Eaves will step up to the bench, but I have a feeling he may go for an extra big man and give Batchelor another run out. In which case Dodd, Eaves, Simm and Ashworth would miss out. If he's keen to give Dodd a debut he could also name him on the bench but that could turn out to be a "waste" of a bench spot if it's a tight game and he doesn't feel it's right to throw him in. Like I said, a few different options again this week but I think the above is most likely.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  3. #3
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,127
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    From the Huddersfield squad announcement:
    ‘Giants have once again been blighted by injuries and could be without nine players, including Ashton Golding, Ukuma Ta’ai and Lee Gaskell, while Suaia Matagi is suspended. From the 21 named, Aidan Sezer, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Wardle, Kenny Edwards and Michael Lawrence are all doubts to play.’
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    From the Huddersfield squad announcement:
    ‘Giants have once again been blighted by injuries and could be without nine players, including Ashton Golding, Ukuma Ta’ai and Lee Gaskell, while Suaia Matagi is suspended. From the 21 named, Aidan Sezer, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Wardle, Kenny Edwards and Michael Lawrence are all doubts to play.’
    I'll take that - and hope we do give a couple of debuts
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  5. #5
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    From the Huddersfield squad announcement:
    ‘Giants have once again been blighted by injuries and could be without nine players, including Ashton Golding, Ukuma Ta’ai and Lee Gaskell, while Suaia Matagi is suspended. From the 21 named, Aidan Sezer, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Wardle, Kenny Edwards and Michael Lawrence are all doubts to play.’
    If that's the case I'll be disapointed not to see 2 of Dodd, Simm and Eaves.

  6. #6
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    If that's the case I'll be disapointed not to see 2 of Dodd, Simm and Eaves.
    As would i, would rather see Simm get a game rather than someone who isnt going to be at the club next year in Costello, although Costello doesnt tend to do much wrong when he does play. If Theo isnt right after last week then I think Dodd has to come in, purely due to the lack of other half backs, unless Woolf moves Welsby there and has another back line reshuffle, something that is unlikely. It would be interesting to see what happens at hooker with Roby out, Smith most likely starts and do we then have Eaves on the bench or use Knowles and Bentley as cover when Smith is off the field?

  7. #7
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    556
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Tom Nisbet nowhere near playing yet?

  8. #8
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    As would i, would rather see Simm get a game rather than someone who isnt going to be at the club next year in Costello, although Costello doesnt tend to do much wrong when he does play. If Theo isnt right after last week then I think Dodd has to come in, purely due to the lack of other half backs, unless Woolf moves Welsby there and has another back line reshuffle, something that is unlikely. It would be interesting to see what happens at hooker with Roby out, Smith most likely starts and do we then have Eaves on the bench or use Knowles and Bentley as cover when Smith is off the field?
    That's how I see it too. I think it's the perfect time for Dodd to play with Sezer and Gaskell out and I do think he'll go with Costello although maybe he'll give Batchelor a go? Smith/Eaves for me and keep Knowles and Bentley in there best positions.

  9. #9
    Learning All The Songs Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,163
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Best chance the young guns have is to go on loan to Huddersfield.

  10. #10
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    439
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Coote
    Welsby naiqama simm grace
    Lomax dodd
    Walmsley smith graham
    Peryoux bentley
    Knowles

    Lms lees amor fages (fages cover hk and sh)

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Pretty sure we'll go:

    Coote
    Welsby Naiqama Costello Grace
    Lomax Fages
    Walmsley Smith Graham
    Peyroux Bentley
    Knowles

    Lees, LMS, Amor.....

    Not sure on the third sub - one of Batchelor (with the intention of either Bentley or Knowles spelling at hooker to give Smith a breather) or Eaves

    I just think the club has something against Simm playing, and I reckon Fages will be half-fit but still preferred to Dodd.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,392
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Pretty sure we'll go:

    Coote
    Welsby Naiqama Costello Grace
    Lomax Fages
    Walmsley Smith Graham
    Peyroux Bentley
    Knowles

    Lees, LMS, Amor.....

    Not sure on the third sub - one of Batchelor (with the intention of either Bentley or Knowles spelling at hooker to give Smith a breather) or Eaves

    I just think the club has something against Simm playing, and I reckon Fages will be half-fit but still preferred to Dodd.
    It might be that Woolf won't have both Smith or Eaves in the 1st 17, Costello probably stay at left centre because Simm is a natural right centre. It's a a good opportunity to play Dodd but Fages must have fully recovered and not judged as a risk, didn't see him in the training session video though.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 3rd September 2020 at 07:56.

  13. #13
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,274
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Wouldn't play a half fit Fages if Sezer is playing for the Giants.
    Learned comment from The Don

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,533
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    As would i, would rather see Simm get a game rather than someone who isnt going to be at the club next year in Costello, although Costello doesnt tend to do much wrong when he does play. If Theo isnt right after last week then I think Dodd has to come in, purely due to the lack of other half backs, unless Woolf moves Welsby there and has another back line reshuffle, something that is unlikely. It would be interesting to see what happens at hooker with Roby out, Smith most likely starts and do we then have Eaves on the bench or use Knowles and Bentley as cover when Smith is off the field?
    Rather than pick players on the basis of who will be available next year, surely it is preferable to pick those considered to provide the best chance of victory? If not, then you’d also have to advocate not picking Taia and possibly Amor, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Peyroux, Ashworth.....

  15. #15
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Rather than pick players on the basis of who will be available next year, surely it is preferable to pick those considered to provide the best chance of victory? If not, then you’d also have to advocate not picking Taia and possibly Amor, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Peyroux, Ashworth.....
    Very good point
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

  16. #16
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Rather than pick players on the basis of who will be available next year, surely it is preferable to pick those considered to provide the best chance of victory? If not, then you’d also have to advocate not picking Taia and possibly Amor, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Peyroux, Ashworth.....
    I dont see giving a young player a chance against what is going to be a depleted Huddersfield side as reducing our chances of victory, but it seems you do...

    Besides Costello is a completely different story to Taia, retiring so not going anywhere else, and the others who have made no announcement of where they are going to play next season, i assume that we are making efforts to re-sign some of them so why wouldnt we pick them?

  17. #17
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    A few reflections bouncing off comments I've seen on this thread and others.
    The pressures and immediacy of pro sport will always push managers and coaches down the path of winning the next game and the next game after that and so on. I fully understand that. The managers and coaches who have something more about them based in an organisational structure that understands the physical pressures of this game and the rigours players are put through understand that sometimes a player needs a rest or to recover fully from injury. Equally other players need to be made ready to step up as and when required to do so. I'm wondering what type of club we are and what will happen down the line. It appears that there is little confidence in the back-up players in particular from the back line, so what exactly is the club doing to solve this issue continuing into this season and perhaps beyond. If there's no confidence in them then they need to review potential incomers to take their place and send these players out on loan/DReg or worst case terminate the odd contract to release funds. The very worst thing is to pay players to be bouncing around the club, rarely playing any games whatsoever, lacking motivation from lack of opportunity. This is why we lose a lot of excellent youngsters from sport in general, not just RL.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    693
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Rather than pick players on the basis of who will be available next year, surely it is preferable to pick those considered to provide the best chance of victory? If not, then you’d also have to advocate not picking Taia and possibly Amor, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Peyroux, Ashworth.....
    Amor has to be on the bench he was not far off mom against HKR .

  19. #19
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,981
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Smith now has a lot of experience as from the bench. It will be interesting to see how he handles being one of the main men for 80. A real chance for him to show what he is capable of.

  20. #20
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,123
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Interested to see how Simm gets on and Welsby at 7.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  21. #21
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,392
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Interested to see how Simm gets on and Welsby at 7.
    Looks as though they will get better when they are being played in there favoured positions, but that won't be easy Percival and Fages have a good chance of playing next week. So if Naiqama recovers from his "corked" leg then there are 3 young one fighting for the right wing spot.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,168
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Simm looked good. He had an iffy start, rushing out and missing his man, but he soon settled in and carried the ball strongly.

    Welsby looked good too: much more comfortable getting his hands on the ball around the middle.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,776
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Simm looked good. He had an iffy start, rushing out and missing his man, but he soon settled in and carried the ball strongly.

    Welsby looked good too: much more comfortable getting his hands on the ball around the middle.
    I'm just a bit disappointed we didn't go to the left a bit more,i was looking forward to seeing him in action after hearing so much about him. Solid game from him though without much ball going his way. Welsby looked really comfortable at 6,better teams will obviously cut down the time he has on the ball,but he looked a totally different player and far more composed .

  24. #24
    Learning All The Songs Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,163
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I'm just a bit disappointed we didn't go to the left a bit more,i was looking forward to seeing him in action after hearing so much about him.
    He did well , pleased for him.

    I don't think it was specifically this game.

    Even with a full team , Saints don't seem to attack much using the centres and their channels.

    A lot of miss passes to the wing , second rows coming inside. Just the way it is.

    I hope Simm gets an extended run , he looks like he has potential.

  25. #25
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,776
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    He did well , pleased for him.

    I don't think it was specifically this game.

    Even with a full team , Saints don't seem to attack much using the centres and their channels.

    A lot of miss passes to the wing , second rows coming inside. Just the way it is.

    I hope Simm gets an extended run , he looks like he has potential.
    When Tai and Percy are in the team we go out wide that way more often,it may be because we wore them down in the middle and made inroads that way that he didn't get a lot of ball,hopefully we can see him in attack more. With the young players we have it's looking good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •