Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRL Targets

Default NRL Targets

Banned

Up and coming coach Justin Holbrook and out of form journeyman Luke Thompson please.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Interesting that Woolf is falling back to the player pool he knows.

Coote
    Makinson Naiqama Percival Grace
    Lomax Fages
    Walmsley Roby Asiata
    Thompson Bentley
    Knowles

Smith LMS Afoa Lees

Replace one with Homesick Luke if you believe the rumours

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Can't say I've seen much of Afoa but Asiata is similar to Paulo imo. The last time I paid much notice to him was a shocking display for Tonga where he played in the halves

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Can't say I've seen much of Afoa but Asiata is similar to Paulo imo. The last time I paid much notice to him was a shocking display for Tonga where he played in the halves
    I would rather we got an out and out prop or an out and out 2nd row. We have other played that can cover halfback ect,we don't need another jack of all trades.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I would rather we got an out and out prop or an out and out 2nd row. We have other played that can cover halfback ect,we don't need another jack of all trades.
    We have signed Joel Thompson for next season and he will play 2nd row and hopefully Bentley will continue to improve to secure the 2nd spot for his own.

As you say we deffo need some forwards to refresh the pack next season. Peyroux is OOC and replaceble. Taia is leaving, as is Jammer and possibly Ashworth. Batchelor isn't good enough and LMS is getting on and starting to show it a bit. Paulo is solid at best although I don't think he is half as bad as some say on here.

I don't know a lot about the players we are linked with but it is good to see that Woolf is concentrating on recruiting forwards.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We have signed Joel Thompson for next season and he will play 2nd row and hopefully Bentley will continue to improve to secure the 2nd spot for his own.

As you say we deffo need some forwards to refresh the pack next season. Peyroux is OOC and replaceble. Taia is leaving, as is Jammer and possibly Ashworth. Batchelor isn't good enough and LMS is getting on and starting to show it a bit. Paulo is solid at best although I don't think he is half as bad as some say on here.

I don't know a lot about the players we are linked with but it is good to see that Woolf is concentrating on recruiting forwards.

Lots of bits and pieces as you say.

Peyroux , Jammer , Costello ,Ashworth are OOC
    LMS , Amor going going gone ?
    1 year left on Paulo.
    Batchelor ? Will he be given a go.

Bar Costello all forwards.

Light on backs coming through. The only one with real promise is being held in the wings (no pun intended).

Some interesting decisions.

For me the themes of recruitment should be

(i) Lower the age profile of the squad with English players if possible. 2 of Peyroux, LMS Amor to go.
    Offload Paulo if possible.

(ii) Other than Thompson go for Running second rows. Batchelor and Bentley could be that pair.
    Either way make a decision on Batchelor one way or another.

(iii) Restore the balance between forwards and backs. (A development winger to supplement Simm).

(iv) A decent prop to pair with Big Al who can start or bench to mix and match with Lees.

In The South Stand

Neither seem like players we should be being linked with. I suspect cost cutting is going to come into the squad building of all Super League clubs bar Warrington from next season. It is perhaps inevitable that we're due a big drop off in quality of players coming through. If these two no-hopers are the best we can recruit from the NRL, would it not be more efficient to look to the Championship for up and coming players. There are still some fantastic players at that level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Lots of bits and pieces as you say.

Peyroux , Jammer , Costello ,Ashworth are OOC
    LMS , Amor going going gone ?
    1 year left on Paulo.
    Batchelor ? Will he be given a go.

Bar Costello all forwards.

Light on backs coming through. The only one with real promise is being held in the wings (no pun intended).

Some interesting decisions.

For me the themes of recruitment should be

(i) Lower the age profile of the squad with English players if possible. 2 of Peyroux, LMS Amor to go.
    Offload Paulo if possible.

(ii) Other than Thompson go for Running second rows. Batchelor and Bentley could be that pair.
    Either way make a decision on Batchelor one way or another.

(iii) Restore the balance between forwards and backs. (A development winger to supplement Simm).

(iv) A decent prop to pair with Big Al who can start or bench to mix and match with Lees.
    I'd settle for this, great analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Don’t want us anywhere near Asiata. Our fingers should have been well and truly burned with a jack-of-all-trades type player in Paulo. We can’t replace the like of Thompson/Graham with some hybrid prop/stand off. No thanks.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I might be wrong here but it looks like Afoa has only played one game since 2018.

I guess if he was in NZ when covid hit there would be no chance of him getting any games this year, but it seems an odd move by Saints to consider someone they can't have monitored at all

Got A Season Ticket

I might be wrong here but it looks like Afoa has only played one game since 2018.

I guess if he was in NZ when covid hit there would be no chance of him getting any games this year, but it seems an odd move by Saints to consider someone they can't have monitored at all
    Bunty played most of 2019 - and was injured in training at start of this season- ACL so basically out for the year, Covid or not.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Maybe we could play him as a trialist as per Toronto!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

As you say we deffo need some forwards to refresh the pack next season. Peyroux is OOC and replaceble. Taia is leaving, as is Jammer and possibly Ashworth. Batchelor isn't good enough and LMS is getting on and starting to show it a bit. Paulo is solid at best although ink hI don't the is half as bad as sosay on here. me

Paulo has hardly ever played since he signed . When he has , he really is as bad as everyone says.

Banned

Would be glad to see paulo gone. But the 2 forwards we are being linked with is also a big no from me. Would like to keep peryoux and persuad jammer to stay 1 more year. Also sign 1 outside back and a prop

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Paulo has hardly ever played since he signed . When he has , he really is as bad as everyone says.
    Never makes a mistake, because he is never involved.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Don’t want us anywhere near Asiata. Our fingers should have been well and truly burned with a jack-of-all-trades type player in Paulo. We can’t replace the like of Thompson/Graham with some hybrid prop/stand off. No thanks.
    Yeah not keen on the idea of a utility player coming in to play prop. There's certain positions you can probably get away with it, but prop you need an out and out prop who has size and impact.

I can't say I know alot about Asiata but I've checked his stats for this year and they don't make for great reading. Average metres per game 71 - not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

I don't really know anything about either of them but they hardly sound great. I'd rather us sign British prospects than expensive plodders that don't have a proper position.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Yeah not keen on the idea of a utility player coming in to play prop. There's certain positions you can probably get away with it, but prop you need an out and out prop who has size and impact.

I can't say I know alot about Asiata but I've checked his stats for this year and they don't make for great reading. Average metres per game 71 - not great.
    He is just about the same height and weight as Thompson, but Thompson was more dynamic that any other prop.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

We do need to recruit or bring on younger players. The average age of the team is creeping up, even Jonny Lomax is 30 this month. We don't want a Leeds situation where they all go in the space of 2 seasons without adequate replacements.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Starting A Programme Collection

Afoa looks to have the size to do well here but he has been out for a year with a cl that's a huge worry if he can get fit , I think he'd be good

as for the other guy, how many players can play prop and half back? I can't see fages covering in the front row !

he plays week in week out in the nrl so you'd think he has something about him but can't say he's one that I would go for

Learning All The Songs

To be fair to Asiata I haven’t seen any Cowboys or NRL fan in general say anything negative about him, according to them he’s a good player just not as good as Taumalolo, not that anyone is. But the only way signing him would make sense is if Knowles is leaving as the whole point of Asiata leaving the Cowboys is because he wants to play 13 and I doubt we’ve made him a ‘significant’ offer to doss about for 20 minutes like Paulo. As for Afoa, I’d rather us not sign someone who will have missed a full season because of an ACL.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Some of these Hull KR players are looking decent enough.

Granted I’ve not seen much of them but George Lawler is playing great at prop and this Jez Litten at hooker has tore Wigan a new one.

Mulhern who we were continuously linked with isn’t playing.

With their owner leaving and uncertainty around their future they’d be worth looking at.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Some of these Hull KR players are looking decent enough.

Granted I’ve not seen much of them but George Lawler is playing great at prop and this Jez Litten at hooker has tore Wigan a new one.

Mulhern who we were continuously linked with isn’t playing.

With their owner leaving and uncertainty around their future they’d be worth looking at.
    Lawler was really good tonight and is a big lump. Litten was also good but he's no better than Aaron Smith.

Got A Season Ticket

Chis McQueen heading over to Superleague -no mention of which club though https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...0f9ee386b2e2d9

Also of interest is the talk of moves to reduce NRL rosters from 30 to 28 -potentially putting a number of players on the hunt for contracts https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/03/...quads-in-2021/