Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull KR

Learning All The Songs

Awful performance really but understandable I guess given the players missing and there being no coaching staff for two weeks. Costello needs binning though, I’d be happy to see us bring in Watkins until the end of the season if it means we don’t have to be tormented to another minute of him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    What happened to knowles why didnt he play
    Strained nasal hair last night.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Awful performance really but understandable I guess given the players missing and there being no coaching staff for two weeks. Costello needs binning though, I’d be happy to see us bring in Watkins until the end of the season if it means we don’t have to be tormented to another minute of him.
    Percival will probably be back in 2 to 3 weeks, we have a squad of players that are good enough when we lose our star players.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I thought it was a really good win and we’ll need to keep winning those type of games this year given the circumstances with injuries, changing opposition late in the week etc etc.

By the end we had Makinson, Percival, Fages, Peyroux, Taia and Knowles all off the pitch with some form of injury, they’ve had no coaches in for a couple of weeks but we were still good enough to see it through.

Thought Coote, Lomax and Roby did a good job second-half and we did well to get to 30 odd points given the circumstances which is quite impressive IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Next week:
    Coote, Welsby, Naiqama, Simm, Grace, Lomax, Dodd
    I hope so and Knowles back. We still seem a bit fragile at times but perhaps it’s just caused by disrupted build up. It’s a weird season anyway so I would like to see the backs line up in the way you suggest

Learning All The Songs

Stuart Pike said in commentary that Percy would be missing for 6 weeks! Is that an update, as KW said 2-4 weeks, or just another example of lazy reporting?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're probably right but I would go:

Coote, Naiqama, Simm, Bentley, Grace, Lomax, Dodd and it be made clear to Bentley why he's playing at centre and not second row.

Scratch that, I forgot about Batchelor, he deserves a go at centre.
    I'd be looking at giving Welsby a go at half back. It's his position and now is his chance to shine.

I'd have Naiqama, Peyroux, Simm and Grace across the back line.

Bentley is offering too much in the second row now to be shifted. He's a tackling machine.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    A tough game for us that, Makinson, Percival, Knowles and then Zeb & Theo all internationals misssing.
    Thought Bachelor should have played instead of Costello but the coaches know best, good win in the circumstances.
    I sometimes wonder if they do. I think Batchelor about 3 years ago was top try scorer in the league when playing centre at York

The squad is imbalanced with forwards. We still have Batchelor, Paulo and Ashworth to come in for the forwards but are very thin on the ground with three quarters.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Stuart Pike said in commentary that Percy would be missing for 6 weeks! Is that an update, as KW said 2-4 weeks, or just another example of lazy reporting?
    Stuart Pyke can barely speak so he could have said anything.

Got A Season Ticket

Costello is not good enough and we need to bring a centre in and Watkins would be a good signing. Woolfe doesn’t seem to have much faith in giving young players a go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I'd be looking at giving Welsby a go at half back. It's his position and now is his chance to shine.

I'd have Naiqama, Peyroux, Simm and Grace across the back line.

Bentley is offering too much in the second row now to be shifted. He's a tackling machine.
    I would imagine Welsby would come in at 6 if Lomax gets injured and Dodd in at 7 if Fages is injured, fast forward a bit and they could be our next half back pairing for the future.

If Bentley can pass off the floor he could be an option to replace Roby because he gets involved far more in the game than what Smith and Eaves could muster, but just right now a full season at second row is great for his development looks a great player already.

Banned

It would be handy to punt Ashworth and Paulo out on loan and get a centre in return.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

6 and 7 are pretty interchangeable and have been for years. Fages was always a stand-off and Lomax often played scrum half until the last couple of years.

Welsby has had enough first team experience now to be tried in his rightful position. Dodd needs to be bloodied in for a one-off. I get the feeling that we are now going to require a half back for a sustained period, because it didn't look good for Theo.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    FFS. Concede 1 try in three games and the coach is an imbecile.
    You totally miss the point. I am challenging his management of the squad in preparing it for the near and mid term, not the fact that we do or do not let a try in. We could all pick a team for the here and now every week and that's one way of managing it. I would prefer him to explore his options while he has the chance instead if continuing with what I see as his narrow view of the championship winning squad he inherited. He's wasting opportunities and we'll pay for it down the line when he leaves us in a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    Costello is not good enough and we need to bring a centre in and Watkins would be a good signing. Woolfe doesn’t seem to have much faith in giving young players a go.
    He's available, if we have any money, he might fit in and presumably wouldn't cost too much as he must be desperate for a club

Banned

Dare i say watkins would be an improvement on percival

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Dare i say watkins would be an improvement on percival
    You can say it but it wouldn't be even slightly true.

Watkins five seasons ago maybe but a definite no from me. We should persevere with what we’ve got and give the full squad a chance to develop. It doesn’t seem like our injuries are extended long term ones anyway. All clubs seem to be in this position with injuries so it’s about your squad strength. My only concern is that the Warrington game is looming and we could do with Percy back for then. Signing Watkins on loan wouldn’t help that situation anyway - and that’s assuming he was match fit anyway -which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I thought it was a really good win and we’ll need to keep winning those type of games this year given the circumstances with injuries, changing opposition late in the week etc etc.

By the end we had Makinson, Percival, Fages, Peyroux, Taia and Knowles all off the pitch with some form of injury, they’ve had no coaches in for a couple of weeks but we were still good enough to see it through.

Thought Coote, Lomax and Roby did a good job second-half and we did well to get to 30 odd points given the circumstances which is quite impressive IMO.

I thought it was a good win in the end. Rovers had a 20 minute spell where they played really well. We cantered they whole match and easily overpowered them.

Winning ugly is a championship winning trait......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    He's available, if we have any money, he might fit in and presumably wouldn't cost too much as he must be desperate for a club
    I honestly think that we can forget the possibility of bringing anyone else in this season!

It hadn't occurred to me that training and match prep could have been so disrupted by the knock on effects of a positive CV test of a non playing staff member.
    This is something else that clubs are going to have to manage as the season unfolds.
    Interesting times!
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 30th August 2020 at 17:40. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    You totally miss the point. I am challenging his management of the squad in preparing it for the near and mid term, not the fact that we do or do not let a try in. We could all pick a team for the here and now every week and that's one way of managing it. I would prefer him to explore his options while he has the chance instead if continuing with what I see as his narrow view of the championship winning squad he inherited. He's wasting opportunities and we'll pay for it down the line when he leaves us in a mess.

I haven’t missed anything. You called Woolf an imbecile and likened his work to that of Ian Millward at Wigan. That’s absurd, whether you agree with his selections or not. You don’t get a team playing with as much cohesion as we have over the last few weeks if you’re an idiot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I haven’t missed anything. You called Woolf an imbecile and likened his work to that of Ian Millward at Wigan. That’s absurd, whether you agree with his selections or not. You don’t get a team playing with as much cohesion as we have over the last few weeks if you’re an idiot.
    Strange but I can't see a great deal of cohesion if by that you mean slick play & quick passes, no more than any other team with title ambitions anyway. If by cohesion you mean a togetherness in the squad then maybe some are more 'together' than others, only the squad itself will know the answer to that. Fact is I don't rate him on what I've seen so far, blame circumstances if you like but I'm going on what I see. I can't like him or dislike him personally as I've never met him. I'm basing my opinions on what I see in and around and on the pitch. Maybe he's one of these unlucky coaches who get more injuries than most? Maybe it's because circumstances are dictating to him rather than him taking control. Bottom line we're not particularly fluent for one reason or another, is this again circumstances dictating or is it his leadership? Fact is this is the best job he'll ever have & yes I know he's an international coach but I'm not comfortable with what I see. These are my opinions, I'm not expecting everyone to agree, it's social media after all.

Learning All The Songs

Second in the league, favourites to win the Grand Final. He's had ten games in charge so he's still feeling his way into the job. While the future is important, it's even more important to win the next game. Of course you may believe that two birds in the bush is better than a bird in the hand, but I would suggest that you are in a small majority.

I'm sure if he deliberately put out a weakened team while planning for the future, and we lost, he'd get absolutely slaughtered on here, and you would find it very hard to justify your view to other people. As it is, his hand will be forced as a result of today's injuries, so we will see how good Simm, Dodd et al are.

And would you tell him to his face that he's an imbecile? I think not

Strange but I can't see a great deal of cohesion if by that you mean slick play & quick passes, no more than any other team with title ambitions anyway. If by cohesion you mean a togetherness in the squad then maybe some are more 'together' than others, only the squad itself will know the answer to that. Fact is I don't rate him on what I've seen so far, blame circumstances if you like but I'm going on what I see. I can't like him or dislike him personally as I've never met him. I'm basing my opinions on what I see in and around and on the pitch. Maybe he's one of these unlucky coaches who get more injuries than most? Maybe it's because circumstances are dictating to him rather than him taking control. Bottom line we're not particularly fluent for one reason or another, is this again circumstances dictating or is it his leadership? Fact is this is the best job he'll ever have & yes I know he's an international coach but I'm not comfortable with what I see. These are my opinions, I'm not expecting everyone to agree, it's social media after all.

Defending well takes cohesion, communication, organisation, call it what you will. It’s a sign of good coaching.

When he’s had a fit side we’ve drubbed/nilled everyone we’ve come across, playing some fantastic stuff along the way. The rugby we played against Catalans and Leeds was every bit as good as under Holbrook. We didn’t look as together today, but we started without our two best outside backs (who are also the two people we rely on most to get our sets started) and our loose forward and then lost our half back and two back rowers. We did pretty well in the circumstances, I think.

I do find some of his choices a bit odd with the younger players - I would have liked to have seen Simm ahead of Costello today and I wouldn’t have picked Welsby on the wing. But the truth is none of us knows if Simm is anywhere near ready and Welsby had a decent game.