Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull KR

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Hull KR

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/08/2...-with-hull-kr/

OUT: Makinson, Percival & Batchelor
    IN: Simm, Peyroux, Costello

1. Lachlan Coote, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9, James Roby, 11. Zeb Taia, 12, Dom Peyroux, 13. LMS, 14. Morgan Knowles, 15. Matty Lees, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Jack Ashworth, 19. Aaron Smith, 20. James Bentley, 21. Matty Costello, 22. Jack Welsby, 26, Josh Simm, 27. Lewis Dodd, 32. James Graham.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 28th August 2020 at 12:22.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Lots of ifs and buts this week for a change. This is my guess (not my preferred opition):

Coote
    Welsby
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Smith
    LMS
    Amor
    Lees

Peyroux, Dodd, Simm and Ashworth to miss out.

Good arguments to have Peyroux and/or Simm in there but I think he'll go with the above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Lots of ifs and buts this week for a change. This is my guess (not my preferred opition):

Coote
    Welsby
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Smith
    LMS
    Amor
    Lees

Good arguments to have Peyroux and/or Simm in there but I think he'll go with the above.
    I think so too. We should still have enough to put HKR away. I think we'd all like to see Simm play but he'll probably go with Costello.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think so too. We should still have enough to put HKR away. I think we'd all like to see Simm play but he'll probably go with Costello.
    We won't have the same strike out wide but I can see us tearing right through the middle of them. I think they will try and play expansively and target Costello/Welsby but if we can got on top of their pack, which realistically we comfortably should do, and not give them cheap field position we shouldn't have too much to worry about. I think the bookies +20 start for them is about right having looked at both squads.

Learning All The Songs

Coote
    Welsby
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Smith
    LMS
    Amor
    Lees

Same team for me should be enough to slaughter them late on with our forward power.

Banned

Coote
    Welsby
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    Knowles

Smith
    LMS
    Amor
    Lees

That's my guess but definitely not my preferred option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default 21 man squad v Hull KR

I think on the right I’d go with Peyroux at centre and Naiqama on the wing, with Bentley keeping his place in the back row. On the left I’d give Simm a run at centre (if that is his preferred side) - it’s the right sort of fixture to try out a youngster, so why not? Plus having both Peyroux and Bentley in the 17 gives us plenty of flexibility if there are problems and we need to change it up.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...-debate-covid/

From this you can pretty much guarantee Grace and Naiqama are staying where they are. Also sounds like Dodd is not far off his debut now. Perhaps giving Fages/Lomax/Coote a breather over the coming week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think on the right I’d go with Peyroux at centre and Naiqama on the wing, with Bentley keeping his place in the back row. On the left I’d give Simm a run at centre (if that is his preferred side) - it’s the right sort of fixture to try out a youngster, so why not? Plus having both Peyroux and Bentley in the 17 gives us plenty of flexibility if there are problems and we need to change it up.
    I agree with Simm being given a go but Woolfe doesn't seem keen. I really don't want to see Welsby on the wing.

I agree with Simm being given a go but Woolfe doesn't seem keen. I really don't want to see Welsby on the wing.
    To be fair Woolf has mentioned him a few times and said he's impressed with him and is definitely "in contention."

Banned

To be fair Woolf has mentioned him a few times and said he's impressed with him and is definitely "in contention."
    I know but he says a lot of things and doesn't always follow them through. It's just a hunch but he always seems like he's playing mind games to me and not doing it very well.

Got A Season Ticket

I know but he says a lot of things and doesn't always follow them through. It's just a hunch but he always seems like he's playing mind games to me and not doing it very well.
    Agreed. He,ll bottle it again no doubt. He says a lot and expects us fans to just lap it up. No development etc....he can’t be considered a good coach if he doesn’t develop players and can’t get a decent performance from the team when some players are missing such as before lock down. That shows the players have done it when they have returned after lock down not good coaching. I think you may be right with Welsby and Costello playing, BUT GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY when neither have deserved selection from passed performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Agreed. He,ll bottle it again no doubt. He says a lot and expects us fans to just lap it up. No development etc....he can’t be considered a good coach if he doesn’t develop players and can’t get a decent performance from the team when some players are missing such as before lock down. That shows the players have done it when they have returned after lock down not good coaching. I think you may be right with Welsby and Costello playing, BUT GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY when neither have deserved selection from passed performances.

So when the players play badly it's the coach's fault, and when they play well it's got nothing to do with the coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    So when the players play badly it's the coach's fault, and when they play well it's got nothing to do with the coach?
    It seems that way haha. I think some people are guilty of making up their minds on Woolf after a slow start and perhaps being too stubborn to change their opinion now.

I have called for Simm to be given a go but that doesn't mean that if Woolf picks Costello I will suddenly start slagging him off and suggesting he doesn't develop players. He has been in charge of the club for 9 games including the WCC and in that time he has had countless injuries and disruptions. It is far too early to suggest he doesn't develop players or that any upturn in performances/results are all down to the players and not him.

Surely the fact we have conceded 1 try in 3 games for the example is testament to the defensive structures he's put in place and the fitness/condition of the players that he has presumably had a large input into.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Costello has done OK as Percival's understudy this season especially on the defensive reads, can't see any reason to change and experiment at the moment. Hull KR have lost through injury there in form winger Ben Crooks so Costello just needs to give Grace a good service on that side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Costello has done OK as Percival's understudy this season especially on the defensive reads, can't see any reason to change and experiment at the moment. Hull KR have lost through injury there in form winger Ben Crooks so Costello just needs to give Grace a good service on that side.
    I agree 100%. Costello might not make blistering breaks (and I'm not bothered that he's moving on at the end of the season) but he's solid, willing to put in the tough work, and now does the basics right. Slotting him into that left centre position means the least amount of disruption. On the other side, I think he'll go with Welsby on the wing, but would prefer a proper centre/winger like Simm or Rizelli to be drafted in.

Learning All The Songs

I would like to see Simm on the right wing and Welsby at left centre but I don’t think that will happen

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I would like to see Simm on the right wing and Welsby at left centre but I don’t think that will happen
    Good grief no!

Banned

Coote
    Grace, peryoux, naiqama, simm
    Lomax, fages
    Walmsley, roby, graham
    Taia, bentley, knowles

Smith, lms, lees, amor

Can see costello before simm though. Keep bentley at second row make peryoux work for his place

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Surely Peyroux will play his back row position and Bentley will play centre????
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Can agree why you say that but for me bentley has made it his own and shouldnt be taken of him just because peryoux is back

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Costello will never be more than a squad player, but I don't remember him making a mistake last time out. I would think the only reason for not picking him would be to give someone that will be here next year a chance.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Can agree why you say that but for me bentley has made it his own and shouldnt be taken of him just because peryoux is back
    They could go that way thinking about the strength of the tean overall. Peyroux is a decent SR, and while Bentley has done enough to keep his place, he is probably safer than Dom in the centres.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Yeh but Bentley is a much better centre than Peyroux pal. By some margin too!! When a team has injuries its all about damage limitation. Bentley defended well in the centre the other week. He is way more versatile than Peyroux. Peyroux at centre? Good God do you lot remember the Cunningham days??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I’d be amazed if that’s the case mate. It’ll be Costello at centre and Bentley at back row I reckon. Peyroux might not even make the 17. But I’d be shocked if either of those two line up at centre from what Woolf has said.