Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull KR

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Sad to see. Although it was good to see manfredi back playing again. He has had a terrible time with injury

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    That is Marshall`s second ACL, Manfredi looks strong again well done Dom, I believe Martin Murray helped him on the rehab and comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    As much as i hate wigan. And that i clearly do. Its always sad to see someone leave the game due to injury especially when its a long one.

All the best liam hope hes back soon rather than later. I actually think hes extremely under rated
    He is a very good player, Wigan seem to produce very good wingers.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He obviously doesn't have the impact of Big Al and probably not the workrate nor the skill of James Graham, but I think as a 3rd prop he is probably as good as we are going to get.
    Jammer is a 100% grafter , but would not say he has any special skills . Just to add re HKR . The way they played against us I could not believe they were bottom of the table .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 4th September 2020 at 03:35.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Surprises me when people go on about letting Amor, LMS and Peyroux walk as if its a given. All look like they have plenty to offer and Im not sure what alternatives there are at this stage.
    Exactly my thoughts , these 3 are great for the younger players to learn the game .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    That is Marshall`s second ACL, Manfredi looks strong again well done Dom, I believe Martin Murray helped him on the rehab and comeback.

He is a very good player, Wigan seem to produce very good wingers.
    Wigan have had quite a few ACL injuries. I wonder if it’s anything to do with their strength and conditioning techniques or routines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Wigan have had quite a few ACL injuries. I wonder if it’s anything to do with their strength and conditioning techniques or routines?

It comes with playing on a football pitch maybe?

Sorry...Couldn't resist that!

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post

Recently Sydney Roosters have had a slew of ACL injuries too, I wonder if there is any link in how they train/condition?

Echoing the comments above, regardless of allegiances it’s tough going for a player to be out for a long while with a bad injury.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Default 21 man squad v Hull KR

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Recently Sydney Roosters have had a slew of ACL injuries too, I wonder if there is any link in how they train/condition?

Echoing the comments above, regardless of allegiances it’s tough going for a player to be out for a long while with a bad injury.
    It does make you wonder. I’m pretty sure most clubs look at injury trends and review their training etc.

I’m sure I read something a few years ago by Mat Daniels when we had a lot of similar muscle type injuries and they changed some of the conditioning to help reduce the risk

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It comes with playing on a football pitch maybe?

Sorry...Couldn't resist that!
    Just for you.

Manfredis two acl's were both at Castleford, Joe Burgess and Jake Shorrocks were on the Widnes i-pitch and Liam Marshall was at Warrington. I was talking to Jonny Lomax's dad a few year back about tis same thing and he said that he had done a lot of research into it. Cardiff City had three or four in one year. His theory was that whilst you can strengthen muscle there is nothing that you can do about ligaments. He likened it to an elastic band that just stretches if overstretched just snaps.
    Back onto Marshall, like most of the replies on here I hate to see any player out injured particularly long term. Joe Burgess is going to Salford next year, so it really leaves us short in that position, I don't see anyone from the academy in that position.
    So in the space of twelve months we've gone from having potentially four very good wingers, Manfredi, Marshall, Burgess and Davies to next season having one, Manfredi and with his injury record, that's a concern.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Just for you.

Manfredis two acl's were both at Castleford, Joe Burgess and Jake Shorrocks were on the Widnes i-pitch and Liam Marshall was at Warrington. I was talking to Jonny Lomax's dad a few year back about tis same thing and he said that he had done a lot of research into it. Cardiff City had three or four in one year. His theory was that whilst you can strengthen muscle there is nothing that you can do about ligaments. He likened it to an elastic band that just stretches if overstretched just snaps.
    Back onto Marshall, like most of the replies on here I hate to see any player out injured particularly long term. Joe Burgess is going to Salford next year, so it really leaves us short in that position, I don't see anyone from the academy in that position.
    So in the space of twelve months we've gone from having potentially four very good wingers, Manfredi, Marshall, Burgess and Davies to next season having one, Manfredi and with his injury record, that's a concern.
    You won't find anyone on here concerned you creepy old bore.

Learning All The Songs

Just for you.

No-one gives a flying fcuk about Wigan on a Saint's forum.

Learning All The Songs

Just for you.

1, its rather sad that you know where they all did their acl’s.
    2, so if it isnt the pitch then it points to a different issue, because a number of players doing the same injury is not just a coincidence, either your training facilities at Oral, training methods or strength and conditioning programmes are the cause.

As for there being nothing you can do about ligaments, activities like yoga, pilates and callisthenics do plenty to gently stretch and work ligaments helping to avoid injuring them.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    2, so if it isnt the pitch then it points to a different issue, because a number of players doing the same injury is not just a coincidence, either your training facilities at Oral, training methods or strength and conditioning programmes are the cause.

As for there being nothing you can do about ligaments, activities like yoga, pilates and callisthenics do plenty to gently stretch and work ligaments helping to avoid injuring them.
    Under Wane, Wigan kept popping up on the T. V. with some new training gimmick or other. Hot yoga one season then ballet another. If they’d been genuine, long term conditioning techniques they may have prevented some ligament damage but, sadly, I think they were simply publicity stunts to get them in front of camera. The one exception being the piece that showed them all at a wrestling gymn.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Jammer is a 100% grafter , but would not say he has any special skills . Just to add re HKR . The way they played against us I could not believe they were bottom of the table .
    James Graham does not have any special skills ?????

How many props do you see with his passing ability? Even If you look at the last game, his inside pass to Coote was different class. I don't think there are any other props in the league that would have made that pass.

Graham has great hands for a prop well he has great hands for any player tbh . I would say his biggest assets are his fitness and his will to win.

He must train really hard to stay that fit for so long in his career , that kind of preparation and professionalism can only rub off on other players at the club , a great decision to bring him back in the short term and for the long term good of the club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If you can't see any leadership nor passing skill then you are watching a different game to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If you can't see any leadership nor passing skill then you are watching a different game to me.
    Of course I did not mean any disrespect to Jammer , the team as a whole , the forwards seem happy to go head down & barge
    their way forward . Offloads at the pace Saints play at would be very hard to defend .

Learning All The Songs

The man many rate as the top ACL guy in Europe is Ray Moran (Kevin Moran`s brother) he founded the Santry Sports Clinic here in Dublin. As a junior orthopedic doctor he trained under Steadman (Richard not Graeme ) and was annoyed that Gaelic, Rugby and Soccer players were being asked to wait sometimes days in A&E to have shoulders put back, jaws wired and general stitches. He built the Clinic with the intention that sports injuries could be done in one place and paid for by medical insurance that clubs insist on, to ease the strain on the Public Health service.
    I have spoken to him many times he knows our sport very well and is a big fan, Jonny was over to test his knee on a piece of kit that Ray pioneered to make sure all is healed post ACL surgery. He is of the opinion that nothing can be done to strengthen ligaments and that muscle force increase has a negative impact on the ligaments. More force on the same strength wire that ties it together.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Of course I did not mean any disrespect to Jammer , the team as a whole , the forwards seem happy to go head down & barge
    their way forward . Offloads at the pace Saints play at would be very hard to defend .
    I think that was more reflective of our first 4 games out of the 5, quite a few of our pack are now playing with there heads up and our backs supporting to give us momentum. Matty Lees and Amor are perhaps head down forwards but Amor has been doing a few offloads out the back down when he looks swamped in the tackle. Noticed Coote has been on the shoulder of Jammer a few times and has been on the receiving end of some subtle passing from him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    The man many rate as the top ACL guy in Europe is Ray Moran (Kevin Moran`s brother) he founded the Santry Sports Clinic here in Dublin. As a junior orthopedic doctor he trained under Steadman (Richard not Graeme ) and was annoyed that Gaelic, Rugby and Soccer players were being asked to wait sometimes days in A&E to have shoulders put back, jaws wired and general stitches. He built the Clinic with the intention that sports injuries could be done in one place and paid for by medical insurance that clubs insist on, to ease the strain on the Public Health service.
    I have spoken to him many times he knows our sport very well and is a big fan, Jonny was over to test his knee on a piece of kit that Ray pioneered to make sure all is healed post ACL surgery. He is of the opinion that nothing can be done to strengthen ligaments and that muscle force increase has a negative impact on the ligaments. More force on the same strength wire that ties it together.
    He sounds like a good bloke, and i agree with him, top end sports athletes shouldnt have to wait or strain public health services they should have access to top quality sports related healthcare. As you say there is nothing that can be done to strengthen ligaments, but i have spoken to enough S&C coaches and physios who say ligaments whilst they cannot be strengthened they can have increased pliability enabling them to stretch more and tolerate the stresses they can get put under.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Just for you...
    I'm not medically trained so I'm not going to speculate how Manfredis injury actually happened, and like many on here, I take no pleasure in seeing a player injured.
    However, I do take pleasure in winding up Wigan fans about their stadium arrangements and the associated consequences.

This is not just for you.

Learning All The Songs

He sounds like a good bloke, and i agree with him, top end sports athletes shouldnt have to wait or strain public health services they should have access to top quality sports related healthcare. As you say there is nothing that can be done to strengthen ligaments, but i have spoken to enough S&C coaches and physios who say ligaments whilst they cannot be strengthened they can have increased pliability enabling them to stretch more and tolerate the stresses they can get put under.
    Yeah Tomsepho, basketball is using training techniques that some think increase flexiibility and resistance to rupture the results are mixed at the moment.
    Only 25% of all tears are caused by impact, 75% is rotation/torsion the planted foot staying in the same place whilst the hips and body go elsewhere, that is usually the result of too much grip from the footwear or playing surface, so maybe the i pitches have a higher incidence.
    Whether the injury is more prevalent now is questionable as Moran says in some of his articles he is seeing people in their 50`s who ruptured ACL`s 30 years previously and now think they have just done it playing golf, it was misdiagnosed years ago.
    Roberto Baggio came back in 90 days from ACL surgery, blocker Roach and Alan Hunte both came back and played 120 days.

Just for you.

Many years ago when football was become more professional, higher salaryÂ’s etc (pre prem) theincreasing demands on players led to increase in injuryÂ’s . This was a time when a warm up was a run round the pitch and 30 seconds high knees , a few yrs away from sports science boom , conditioning etc. Some clubs including Everton, Chelsea to name two took up Ballet training . Of course this it what we would now call Pilates and Hinayana Yoga . The results where immediate .

The shift in RL players physiology over the last few years is evident , Gone are the days when a prop needed ‘ hands like shovels’ , be 15 stone plus with monster calf’s and thighs . Forwards in many cases can play as centres and agile hookers and vice verse meaning the training methods have changed and shifted . There does appear to be a correlation between these new methods and increase injury particularly soft tissues injury around joints.
    Rugby league players have in recently years focused on Eccentric strength training and plyometrics as apposed to power/ strength training followed by plyometrics . Maybe this is issue . Maybe it is just a coincidence ? What is known is that there is a trend in injury and a change in training methods around strength and power training , or so it appears .