Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luke Thommo homesick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    You sound like a good person to have around in a crisis.
    But much of what he said is right. Thompson refused a pay cut when most of the population were either demonstrating a huge slice of self sacrifice or taking a big financial hit. Whilst it would be churlish and mean spirited to enjoy someone’s misfortune, it was a disappointing way to leave the club.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Easy to say “ha ha, told you so”. He’s a young man who probably made a decision on balance that it was a good opportunity for him. It may or may not have been a good one but he wouldn’t be the first person to regret such a career move. It sounds like he’s a kid who isn’t in the best place at the moment...he probably needs support rather than a kick in the teeth.
    Very true. I hope Saints are in touch and offering that hug.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Very true. I hope Saints are in touch and offering that hug.
    I don't understand why some supporters are acting like he held the club to ransom when that clearly wasn't the case. I guarantee that if he was going to stay for the season he would have took a paycut. He's young and IMO has been badly adviced by his management team. We've all made mistakes when we were younger. The club itself has come out of it pretty well with a transfer fee and having Graham back on a low contract. If Thompson wanted to come back them I'd have him at the club in a heartbeat. I'd be gutted if I saw him in another SL club's colours especially with him not yet in the prime of his career.

Got A Season Ticket

I think there's more to this than what's been released, there has to be. Probably also alot down to ill advised management as others have said. It was my understanding he didn't want to go, and the pay cut thing was more out of principle due to the fact that other players weren't taking pay cuts and some had but were still earning more than he was even before he had any kind of pay cut etc. And if that is all true then he kinda has a point. It feels abit like because he'd signed that deal for canterbury he was seen as more of a disposable asset - why try to keep him happy if he's off anyway?

He was one of our top players, but wasn't close to being on the most money, but was then asked for a 40% pay cut which seems a bit excessive for a top player. Although HE technically refused the pay cut which forced the club to boot him out, it seems to me like the club set him up with a shit hand and said like it or lump it, almost forcing his decision.

Disclaimer - these are just a few little things I've heard about the whole saga, its not first hand knowledge but thought I'd share anyway. But if its true, no wonder he feels a bit shit, effectively booted out for not wanting the •••• taken out of him.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post
    I think there's more to this than what's been released, there has to be. Probably also alot down to ill advised management as others have said. It was my understanding he didn't want to go, and the pay cut thing was more out of principle due to the fact that other players weren't taking pay cuts and some had but were still earning more than he was even before he had any kind of pay cut etc. And if that is all true then he kinda has a point. It feels abit like because he'd signed that deal for canterbury he was seen as more of a disposable asset - why try to keep him happy if he's off anyway?

He was one of our top players, but wasn't close to being on the most money, but was then asked for a 40% pay cut which seems a bit excessive for a top player. Although HE technically refused the pay cut which forced the club to boot him out, it seems to me like the club set him up with a shit hand and said like it or lump it, almost forcing his decision.

Disclaimer - these are just a few little things I've heard about the whole saga, its not first hand knowledge but thought I'd share anyway. But if its true, no wonder he feels a bit shit, effectively booted out for not wanting the •••• taken out of him.

There may be some mileage in your comments especially in the way that Thompson views events. Ultimately, however, it was Thompson who decided not to sign a new contract with Saints who could hardly be expected to direct scarce funds to someone who would probably not be available at the end of the season if it resumed.

Banned

We're probably both off the mark, but I heard all the pay cuts were only temporary, all other 1st team players had agreed to them, and the cuts were nothing like 40% for any.

Got A Season Ticket

Yeh exactly, kinda seems like both partys spat their dummy out. Thomo probably felt like he wasn't being treated fairly, but he had no leverage anymore as he had already signed for canterbury from next season, the club held all the cards in that respect. So when he said he wasn't happy with what they were offering they shipped him off early

Got A Season Ticket

We're probably both off the mark, but I heard all the pay cuts were only temporary, all other 1st team players had agreed to them, and the cuts were nothing like 40% for any.
    Haha yeh like I said webbo, not 1st hand knowledge or anything, just what I'd heard. Certainly adds a new dynamic though eh, maybe he wasnt the big villain everyone thought he was holding the club to ransom. Or maybe he's just a shithouse, who knows! Haha

Banned

Haha yeh like I said webbo, not 1st hand knowledge or anything, just what I'd heard. Certainly adds a new dynamic though eh, maybe he wasnt the big villain everyone thought he was holding the club to ransom. Or maybe he's just a shithouse, who knows! Haha

I never thought he was either. I think, as others have said, he was poorly advised, and used the pay cut request to help engineer an early move. Thompson himself has said he believed that doing so would help the club financially as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I don't understand why some supporters are acting like he held the club to ransom when that clearly wasn't the case. I guarantee that if he was going to stay for the season he would have took a paycut. He's young and IMO has been badly adviced by his management team. We've all made mistakes when we were younger. The club itself has come out of it pretty well with a transfer fee and having Graham back on a low contract. If Thompson wanted to come back them I'd have him at the club in a heartbeat. I'd be gutted if I saw him in another SL club's colours especially with him not yet in the prime of his career.
    I dont think anyone has accused LT of holding the club to ransom at all. Not sure where youve got tgat from to be quite honest.

I think many found it morally questionable to move suddenly and mid season at a time when a sizeable portion of the population were taking a big financial hit or putting themselves in the firing line to help others.it certainly sat a little uncomfortably with me.

Some things are worth more than money and it feels like Thompson is learning that in Australia right now.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    There may be some mileage in your comments especially in the way that Thompson views events. Ultimately, however, it was Thompson who decided not to sign a new contract with Saints who could hardly be expected to direct scarce funds to someone who would probably not be available at the end of the season if it resumed.
    This is the key point. He had a contract with the Bulldogs from the 1st November, which they would have enforced him to commit to. Therefore at the end of the season, he would not have been able to play for Saints in the last few games, play offs and Grand Final.

A series of unfortunate events, whereby everyone thought they were getting what they wanted. Saints got the fee for a player who was leaving anyway before the end of the season and Thompson got his new contract earlier than expected. I doubt there is any serious bad feeling between Saints, Thompson and the rest of the players and all would hopefully be able to move on together if he does want to come home.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Banned

My understanding is he wanted to go in Jan as for paycuts everyone at the club took them inc people not on as much money as him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Easy to say “ha ha, told you so”. He’s a young man who probably made a decision on balance that it was a good opportunity for him. It may or may not have been a good one but he wouldn’t be the first person to regret such a career move. It sounds like he’s a kid who isn’t in the best place at the moment...he probably needs support rather than a kick in the teeth.
    Right. We have all taken a wrong decision at times. You shouldn't be crucified for making a mistake, though he may turn it around.

Learning All The Songs

Suspected there was more to it at the time and EddieV has highlighted that, it was being debated on here then with an almost 50-50 split.
    Personally Macker has earned the right to speak out on issues with all he has done for our club, but as the elder lemon I would have preferred him to use the Omerta method.
    Luke is either a media genius or he is all class as a person, his two bosses have gone talking to the press, he has kept his counsel.
    I would say he is mortified Hill has spoken and I would say he was not pleased with Macker`s comments.
    Good luck and all the best Luke no matter what way this plays out your dignity will always be intact.

Default Luke Thommo homesick

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    This is the key point. He had a contract with the Bulldogs from the 1st November, which they would have enforced him to commit to. Therefore at the end of the season, he would not have been able to play for Saints in the last few games, play offs and Grand Final.

A series of unfortunate events, whereby everyone thought they were getting what they wanted. Saints got the fee for a player who was leaving anyway before the end of the season and Thompson got his new contract earlier than expected. I doubt there is any serious bad feeling between Saints, Thompson and the rest of the players and all would hopefully be able to move on together if he does want to come home.
    This is the way I see it.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

We’ve got loads of space on the cap, I’m sure if he asked nicely he could join us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    We’ve got loads of space on the cap, I’m sure if he asked nicely he could join us.

Generous. You're too kind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    This exactly. I spent a good 20 years making mistakes, bouncing between jobs and ••••ing a lot of people off in the process, but I done pretty well because I’m good and get things done. That’s not being big headed, it’s just knowing my worth.

My point being, Luke is a top player who has possibly made a mistake but he’s good enough to overlook that mistake as people have done with me previously.

Starting A Programme Collection

I'm surprised how poor he has been. Are the pubs and restraunts etc over there in lockdown then?

Why doesn't he just go out with his new team mates?

I'm sure they all just train go home and train all week

Even if they are not the lash , they still must have some sort of social life out there?

Default Luke Thommo homesick

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    I'm surprised how poor he has been. Are the pubs and restraunts etc over there in lockdown then?

Even if they are not the lash , they still must have some sort of social life out there?
    The NRL has a strict ‘bubble’ rule in place, which means that its players are effectively in lockdown, even while society at large isn’t.

It’s as Dux has said and the attached is an example if what happens if the biosecurity rules are broken.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl...12-p55kzh.html

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

His teammates might not be very welcoming of him. The Bulldogs seem a bit rotten of late. Coming in on top dollar unproven with a tag of ‘worlds best prop’ could have ruffled a few feathers.
    Im of the opinion that he’s a bit on the small side for an NRL prop. But i think theirs more to it than just that. His performances have got less impressive week on week. The problem is IMO Thompson is a prop and nothing else. I don’t think he has the lateral movement to defend out wide as a second rower or the hands to be a ball playing 13. Most 13s are just a third prop anyway.
    Ive no doubt that he is good enough to be an NRL prop forward, but i think it will take a decent coach to bring out the best in him and utilise his ability.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 27th August 2020 at 16:51.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    He's got little chance of winning a grand final at Canterbury as it is. Don't see why he'd diminish his chances even further by joining Warrington

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

I never thought he was either. I think, as others have said, he was poorly advised, and used the pay cut request to help engineer an early move. Thompson himself has said he believed that doing so would help the club financially as well.
    Spot on with that last sentence Webbo Saints did really well out of the lad going early , and with reference to him taking a pay cut, other players were on far more cash than Thompson, as the worlds best prop ? he was worth far more than the salary he was on at Saints , both the club and Thommo did well financially out of his move .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The NRL has a strict ‘bubble’ rule in place, which means that its players are effectively in lockdown, even while society at large isn’t.
    I was listening to an NRL game on Aussie radio last week & the news at half time reported on a guy who went to the gym in his 14 day quarantine period and he got a $2700 fine. They seem a lot more strict when it comes to lock down.