Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luke Thommo homesick

Default Luke Thommo homesick

This is a subscription based article but basically says due to Covid his girlfriend hasn't been able to join him and due to lockdown rules he's isolated on his own. Apparently affecting his performances and is the reason he is being rested this weekend.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-l...be6cdd64650546

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

This has been posted on Facebook.

#Canterbury has a huge problem on its hands.

Star English recruit #LukeThompson is suffering significant emotional stress that has some fearing he may want to go home.

It is related to being so far away from his loved ones during the COVID lockdown

And it has got to the point where there are genuine concerns whether Thompson will last living in Australia long term.
    It hasn’t been helped by the fact Thompson’s girlfriend has been unable to join him because of the international border restrictions.

After being “rested” for the Bulldogs’ clash against Canberra this week, chief executive Andrew Hill confirmed that the man who arrived in Australia with a rating as the world’s best prop was “doing it tough”.

There is even talk that Gold Coast is watching on with interest because Justin Holbrook was his coach at St Helens.

At this point, Thompson’s plight has not even made its way back home to St Helens. But he is struggling to adjust to life in the NRL in the incredibly difficult period of isolation.

“At the moment we can’t get his girlfriend out, so it is absolutely right, he is doing it tough,” Hill said. “He is in the bubble. He can’t leave home.

“He goes home to training, training to home, home training seven days a week.

“And he doesn’t live with anyone and he is in a new country. So, yes, it is tough for him.

“But we are working hard to try and get his partner out.”
    Asked if he feared Thompson wanted to go home permanently, Hill added: “No, I have been talking to him. He is committed.

“He is looking forward to the challenge and settling in. And part of giving him a week off is trying to freshen that up and at least try and let him break the cycle a little.”

News Corp was also told Thompson hasn’t been completely happy with the situation he has walked into following Dean Pay’s sacking. The fact Trent Barrett won’t be joining the club until next year after he finishes his duties at Penrith is also another issue.

Thompson still has three more years to run on his contract with the Bulldogs following this season. But his form since arriving hasn’t lived up to the hype, and no doubt his personal situation wouldn’t have helped

Hill said the Bulldogs were doing everything in their power to try to help him through.

“It is tough for everyone in the bubble,” Hill said. “It is tough enough for people who have got family but if you are here by yourself, it has been tough going.

“It has been a challenging seven weeks living away from family and loved ones in another country and then in a bubble condition. We just have to keep working with him.”

Thompson had planned to return to England after the season but even that is now in doubt because of the border restrictions.

“Unfortunately you just can’t get on a plane and go,” Hill said.
    Last edited by HoofeHearted; 26th August 2020 at 16:49.
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

Learning All The Songs

I am still being optimistic that the reason we have not announced any major signings for next season is that we are waiting on Luke to give us a bell...

(More than likely end up at Gold Coast)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Looks like made up shite to me
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Have him back in a heart beat don't know if he upset Eamonn to much to take him back? Eamonn was critical of him when he left?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Its hardly made up as they’ve quoted the CEO of the Bulldogs at length. Exaggerated possibly, but certainly not ‘made up.’

The surprise for me is that Thompson seems to have had little awareness of what he was getting himself into by seeking an early release. Made your bed and lie in it comes to mind.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Its hardly made up as they’ve quoted the CEO of the Bulldogs at length. Exaggerated possibly, but certainly not ‘made up.’

The surprise for me is that Thompson seems to have had little awareness of what he was getting himself into by seeking an early release. Made your bed and lie in it comes to mind.
    Really badly advised by his management, left the club in a bit of a lurch, only thankfully to be part rescued by the return of Graham, it's not as if Covid wasn't over there, the restrictions on players are probably more draconian than over here, why on earth didn't he wait until the end of the season and review his options, then he could have gone with everyone's best wishes if he still wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Really badly advised by his management, left the club in a bit of a lurch, only thankfully to be part rescued by the return of Graham, it's not as if Covid wasn't over there, the restrictions on players are probably more draconian than over here, why on earth didn't he wait until the end of the season and review his options, then he could have gone with everyone's best wishes if he still wanted to go.
    Fully agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

That's what I thought. Pretty reliable that article if you ask me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post

Well said. But we all make mistakes - and if there's a chance of him moving back home, I want us to be in pole position to re-sign him. Can you imagine the furore if he signed for 'flexible salary cap' Dire?

I suspect a few bridges were burned during the transfer.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Well said. But we all make mistakes - and if there's a chance of him moving back home, I want us to be in pole position to re-sign him. Can you imagine the furore if he signed for 'flexible salary cap' Dire?
    I wonder if Leeds would throw their hat in the ring. They look like they could use a prop. When i look at their squad these days i wonder where the money goes. Does Hetherington not spend anymore?
    Leeds 2015 compared with Leeds 2020 is like Bradford 2005 compared with Bradford 2010.
    Sorry for going off topic.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

If he did come back he would want silly money. I know he is classed as home grown but I can see him going to Warrington after the fiasco when he left.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Yeah Don it does not make sense to me either.
    His girlfriend cannot get out due to border restrictions, how did Luke get out? How does resting him freshen him up from the home training-training home routine? Playing the game does that I would have thought.
    If he was to renege on his contract how does he get home if he cannot get home at end of season?
    I wish him well, sounds tough out there at the moment, does not sound like Hill is helping with the comments above.

I would have thought the worst thing to do in these circumstances would be to leave you alone in your flat/apartment for the weekend while the team is playing.

He’ll go to Warrington if he comes back. They were offering him silly money even before he went to the Bulldogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

His early release from Saints cost the Bulldogs an absolute fortune , I cant see Saints releasing that to bring him back .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Noooobie

His manager turned Luke Thompson's head with the money. Luke is now finding out for himself money isn't everything.
    Did he not realise he was moving to the other side of the world during a coronavirus pandemic, to far to come back home for tea.
    Luke made the choice with poor advice, only got himself to blame.
    The good thing is Saints haven't missed him at all. Just need Jammer to sign for another season.

Easy to say “ha ha, told you so”. He’s a young man who probably made a decision on balance that it was a good opportunity for him. It may or may not have been a good one but he wouldn’t be the first person to regret such a career move. It sounds like he’s a kid who isn’t in the best place at the moment...he probably needs support rather than a kick in the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Indeed. He's just rushed into a bit but we all get it wrong at times

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    He’ll go to Warrington if he comes back. They were offering him silly money even before he went to the Bulldogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Standard

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Fully agree with you
    Exactly.In too much of a rush to go down under .

Got A Replica Shirt

I feel for the bloke. He is a long way from home and if his head is not in the right place then it’s all but impossible to play good footy. Let’s hope things work out for him. All the best to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    His manager turned Luke Thompson's head with the money. Luke is now finding out for himself money isn't everything.
    Did he not realise he was moving to the other side of the world during a coronavirus pandemic, to far to come back home for tea.
    Luke made the choice with poor advice, only got himself to blame.
    The good thing is Saints haven't missed him at all. Just need Jammer to sign for another season.
    You sound like a good person to have around in a crisis.