Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid suspensions

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Today really is own goal day for the RFL. Between this and the pizza afair it's egg on their face
    Unusual topping.... I prefer pepperoni
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

How about lets add this to there club motto , ancient and loyal and untouchable so we do what we want

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    So true, does any one think the RFL will do anything about it. Everyone is sayingwigan didn’t know, for God’s sake do the clubs and the RFL not communicate with one another. This is a pandemic we are talking about not something trivial. For gods sake will someone take control . What a laughing stock we are.
    It's a total shambles. I'm not saying much as I am in awe of how this sport can continually lurch from one calamity to the next.

'Stronger than ever Mr Mannering'

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

So going off RFL logic, Tommy only has 2 games left on his ban.......

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm going to look at this from a different angle. To me, the 'ban' is more of a safety buffer to protect other players, so if 14 days have already elapsed from the outside contact, then there's not much point of imposing it.
    The fine is the actual punishment.
    I don't actually know what extra restrictions, if any, are imposed on our players, over and above what we are all expected to do, but I can see enforcement of it being very difficult for the authorities, so I'm going to cut them some slack over this!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm going to look at this from a different angle. To me, the 'ban' is more of a safety buffer to protect other players, so if 14 days have already elapsed from the outside contact, then there's not much point of imposing it.
    The fine is the actual punishment.
    I don't actually know what extra restrictions, if any, are imposed on our players, over and above what we are all expected to do, but I can see enforcement of it being very difficult for the authorities, so I'm going to cut them some slack over this!
    So why not just say the punishment is a fine? All the rest is just nonsense otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    So why not just say the punishment is a fine? All the rest is just nonsense otherwise.
    It would be better if they did just say that.
    I'm looking for a logical reason why the 14 day thing is written off in the way we've seen with JH. My theory seems to fit and is quite reasonable action from the RFL IMO.
    The 'nonsense' part is perhaps the way it's been reported in the various articles we've seen, including the press release from the RFL?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It would be better if they did just say that.
    I'm looking for a logical reason why the 14 day thing is written off in the way we've seen with JH. My theory seems to fit and is quite reasonable action from the RFL IMO.
    The 'nonsense' part is perhaps the way it's been reported in the various articles we've seen, including the press release from the RFL?
    If the problem here is that the player should have isolated for 14 days after breaching protocol, we know he played two games within those 14 days, so surely the 14 day suspension should run from the day after it can last be proven he'd been breaching protocol, namely the last time he played. The 14 days should run from the day after he played against Leeds, namely Monday 17th.

If you breach protocol, play two games within 14 days of breaching protocol, get a non-suspension and then get to play the next game on the 29th it is sending out the message that the RFL don't care about this. One player doing something against the protocols could maybe end a season if that player ends up on a pitch playing a game. He played two, and will not miss a single game despite the RFL deeming him to broken the rules.

This would be bad PR, but as I said yesterday, nobody has noticed because no sod pays attention to our game these days.

Starting A Programme Collection

Nobody’s bothered anymore. He potentionally put a lot of lives at stake but don’t worry we play for a big club. Salford v Hull fc were found to have corona and were made yes made to isolate . Why is the rules so diff we were in the middle of a pandemic for gods sake. So u never ever contacted Wigan regarding this ,it beggars belief that the both of u didn’t communicate with each other. By god bet u were never of the phone regarding makinson. He certainly did wrong but u must have kept in touch with the club. What a laughing stock we must be in the sporting world...

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Nobody’s bothered anymore. He potentionally put a lot of lives at stake but don’t worry we play for a big club. Salford v Hull fc were found to have corona and were made yes made to isolate . Why is the rules so diff we were in the middle of a pandemic for gods sake. So u never ever contacted Wigan regarding this ,it beggars belief that the both of u didn’t communicate with each other. By god bet u were never of the phone regarding makinson. He certainly did wrong but u must have kept in touch with the club. What a laughing stock we must be in the sporting world...
    The fact that numerous teams are playing at the same venue across 2 days baffles me to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If the problem here is that the player should have isolated for 14 days after breaching protocol, we know he played two games within those 14 days, so surely the 14 day suspension should run from the day after it can last be proven he'd been breaching protocol, namely the last time he played. The 14 days should run from the day after he played against Leeds, namely Monday 17th.

If you breach protocol, play two games within 14 days of breaching protocol, get a non-suspension and then get to play the next game on the 29th it is sending out the message that the RFL don't care about this. One player doing something against the protocols could maybe end a season if that player ends up on a pitch playing a game. He played two, and will not miss a single game despite the RFL deeming him to broken the rules.

This would be bad PR, but as I said yesterday, nobody has noticed because no sod pays attention to our game these days.
    I guess it depends on what the 'breach' protocol is?
    Rouges posted earlier that, in the case of JH, it was possibly meeting the family of that sick kid. People 'outside' the players 'bubble'. That's when the 14 day clock stared ticking.
    Coming into contact with other players after that event would not be a further breach IMO.

...Remember. I don't believe that the RFL are intending the 14 day 'ban' as the punishment here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Rouges posted earlier that, in the case of JH, it was possibly meeting the family of that sick kid. People 'outside' the players 'bubble'. That's when the 14 day clock stared ticking.
    Coming into contact with other players after that event would not be a further breach IMO.

...Remember. I don't believe that the RFL are intending the 14 day 'ban' as the punishment here.
    Coming into contact with team-mates and an entire other team, twice, within 14 days of breaking protocol is IMO a serious breach. Yes, the players are tested, and yes they are a bubble of some kind around the games, but everything you do within 14 days of a breach should be careful as hell, otherwise why stop people going about their lives if they've been abroad or if they are found to have to have been in close contact with someone, etc? The normal person who does all that isn't playing a contact sport but is still required to do the 14 days (whether they do it or not is another matter), whereas the RL player is told it was absolutely fine to come into contact with at least 20 other people in his own club and then 17 others from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Coming into contact with team-mates and an entire other team, twice, within 14 days of breaking protocol is IMO a serious breach. Yes, the players are tested, and yes they are a bubble of some kind around the games, but everything you do within 14 days of a breach should be careful as hell, otherwise why stop people going about their lives if they've been abroad or if they are found to have to have been in close contact with someone, etc? The normal person who does all that isn't playing a contact sport but is still required to do the 14 days (whether they do it or not is another matter), whereas the RL player is told it was absolutely fine to come into contact with at least 20 other people in his own club and then 17 others from another team.
    If anyone is asked to quarantine for 14 days for whatever CV related reason, and they break that quarantine, they risk a fine, but the clock isn't reset if they come into contact with someone within that period.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't know the detail but even if he was carrying out some humanitarian act, if he had caught the virus then passed it on to hi team mates, then two other teams that in turn could have passed it on to the teams they played against. What would the penalty have been then.

Starting A Programme Collection

A cake and a cup of tea. . Doesn’t matter about the teams they played against. Mind u he’s not a good role model . He knew he had to isolate but bugger it nobody’s bothering. Complete idiot.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

And why have the other two players not been named?

Default Covid suspensions

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    They have. James Gavet and Riley Dean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    1. They’re not high profile
    2. No-one’s heard of them
    3. They don’t play for Wigan

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    They have. James Gavet and Riley Dean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    According to League Express there were five in Total, although one appealed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    The fact that numerous teams are playing at the same venue across 2 days baffles me to be honest
    It’s so that Sky can show all the games without moving their equipment and personnel around. That part’s quite logical to me.

I like Jackson Hastings and have more sympathy for him than any other Wigan player. However, how the RFL has dealt with this is sheer madness. I agree that if the media took any notice of our sport and bothered to get into the fine print, we’d be complete laughing stocks. Unlike the games at one venue, it’s completely illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't know the detail but even if he was carrying out some humanitarian act, if he had caught the virus then passed it on to hi team mates, then two other teams that in turn could have passed it on to the teams they played against. What would the penalty have been then.
    I don't doubt it, but if 14 days have elapsed since that outside 'contact', then there's no point in extending it.
    He was fined for the breach (potentially putting other players at greater risk, as you point out)

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

I don't doubt it, but if 14 days have elapsed since that outside 'contact', then there's no point in extending it.
    He was fined for the breach (potentially putting other players at greater risk, as you point out)
    I know where you are coming from on this Barry, but there has to be greater punishment for doing this.
    If not, and there's an inconsequential fine, there's nothing to discourage others from doing the same
    It wouldn't take much to bring the whole house if cards down at the minute and that has to be avoided
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I know where you are coming from on this Barry, but there has to be greater punishment for doing this.
    If not, and there's an inconsequential fine, there's nothing to discourage others from doing the same
    It wouldn't take much to bring the whole house if cards down at the minute and that has to be avoided
    Oh I agree mate, although I don't actually know what the fine was.
    Most of the press seem to be focusing on the 14 day 'ban', which is further muddled IMO by the RFL statement seemingly calling it a 'standard punishment', lumping the 14 day 'ban' and fine together.
    It's no wonder that we're all scratching our heads over this!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Surely when we’re talking about a so called deadly pandemic all sports should have to abide by rules set out by national governing bodies overseeing all sports? If you tackle someone high thats a matter for the RFL to deal with. If you are a professional sportsman who risks covid spread surely thats a bigger punishment? Are we talking about a deadly virus or not??
    If Makinson gets 4 games (quite rightly) for pinching a blokes nadger, surely by comparison the covid offenders should be banned for the season. Or am i missing something?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Surely when we’re talking about a so called deadly pandemic all sports should have to abide by rules set out by national governing bodies overseeing all sports? If you tackle someone high thats a matter for the RFL to deal with. If you are a professional sportsman who risks covid spread surely thats a bigger punishment? Are we talking about a deadly virus or not??
    If Makinson gets 4 games (quite rightly) for pinching a blokes nadger, surely by comparison the covid offenders should be banned for the season. Or am i missing something?
    No, you're not missing anything. I raised the point myself and while a lot of people on RL social media pages seemed to take great delight in Makinson looking a ban, hardly anything has been mentioned about this, I really don't understand it.