Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid suspensions

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No, you're not missing anything. I raised the point myself and while a lot of people on RL social media pages seemed to take great delight in Makinson looking a ban, hardly anything has been mentioned about this, I really don't understand it.
    Craziness. But, thats how it seems to be these days. Bonkers
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    ... surely by comparison the covid offenders should be banned for the season. Or am i missing something?
    I think we're all missing something.
    We don't know what restrictions the RFL have placed on players over and above what we're all supposed to be doing.
    We don't know if those instructions are crystal clear, or if the players fully understand them.
    We don't know what fines have been issued to the three (or is it five?) players in breach of the restrictions.

If I came back from abroad, then broke the quarantine rules, I could face a fine of up to £1000, so I would expect something similar in these cases. A season bad is too heavy IMO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I think we're all missing something.
    We don't know what restrictions the RFL have placed on players over and above what we're all supposed to be doing.
    We don't know if those instructions are crystal clear, or if the players fully understand them.
    We don't know what fines have been issued to the three (or is it five?) players in breach of the restrictions.

If I came back from abroad, then broke the quarantine rules, I could face a fine of up to £1000, so I would expect something similar in these cases. A season bad is too heavy IMO.
    If 50 players skirted the rules i would guess maybe the RFL weren’t transparent with the clubs about the do’s and don’t’s. But for only 5 players to mess up, that suggests to me that the players in question simply didn’t give a toss.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't doubt it, but if 14 days have elapsed since that outside 'contact', then there's no point in extending it.
    He was fined for the breach (potentially putting other players at greater risk, as you point out)
    I understand what you are saying about the quarantine period, but is a fine the correct penalty for the risk he brought to the game.

Learning All The Songs

The RL can hardly preach to anyone and we cannot take the moral high ground.
    We played Cas when most other sports were cancelled and the governing body sanctioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I understand what you are saying about the quarantine period, but is a fine the correct penalty for the risk he brought to the game.
    If the fine is proportionate to the risk, then yes IMO (I still don't know what the fine was).
    My original point was that I don't think that the 14 day 'ban' was intended as a punishment. It was intended as a buffer to protect other players. That's why JH didn't serve his as it was too late to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    The RL can hardly preach to anyone and we cannot take the moral high ground.
    We played Cas when most other sports were cancelled and the governing body sanctioned it.
    Easy to say with hindsight, but at the time nothing much was happening in the UK. Cases were starting to show up in the South East. I think further North was 2-3 weeks behind.
    I very much doubt that the game in Castleford would have caused any problems.

Easy to say with hindsight, but at the time nothing much was happening in the UK. Cases were starting to show up in the South East. I think further North was 2-3 weeks behind.
    Pity it wasn't cancelled the way we played!

Learning All The Songs

Correct with the benefit of hindsight, wrong with nothing much happening in the UK, every major sport had postponed and almost all small/niche sports had followed suit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Pity it wasn't cancelled the way we played!
    The only fair thing to do would be to fine Cas for hosting the game and give us the points for being good sports when clearly it affected our game.

Correct with the benefit of hindsight, wrong with nothing much happening in the UK, every major sport had postponed and almost all small/niche sports had followed suit.
    Cheltenham Festival?
    Nothing much was happening with CV at that time. 330 cases in the UK on 15th March.
    I've no idea what the odds would be of someone with the virus attending that game but IMO, the RFL did nothing wrong in allowing it to happen.

Learning All The Songs

Cheltenham Festival?
    Nothing much was happening with CV at that time. 330 cases in the UK on 15th March.
    I've no idea what the odds would be of someone with the virus attending that game but IMO, the RFL did nothing wrong in allowing it to happen.
    Don`t wish to derail the thread but cannot agree with you on this Kentish. Cheltenham the sport of Kings was always going ahead.
    UK have fared the worst in the world with confirmed cases and death rate over 12.5%, worldwide 3.5%, nearest to us Mexico 11.5%, Ireland 6%.
    15 March over here government shut down the pubs and public meeting places 2 days before St. Patrick`s Day their biggest day of the year with less than 170 confirmed cases. We played a rugby match, I can agree benefit of hindsight is wonderful, but to use UK as an example of managing Covid is not a good example.

Banned

Don`t wish to derail the thread but cannot agree with you on this Kentish. Cheltenham the sport of Kings was always going ahead.
    UK have fared the worst in the world with confirmed cases and death rate over 12.5%, worldwide 3.5%, nearest to us Mexico 11.5%, Ireland 6%.
    15 March over here government shut down the pubs and public meeting places 2 days before St. Patrick`s Day their biggest day of the year with less than 170 confirmed cases. We played a rugby match, I can agree benefit of hindsight is wonderful, but to use UK as an example of managing Covid is not a good example.
    I read a report a few days ago although looked for it to link but can't find it unfortunately. It stated that the 40k+ deaths in UK attributed to Covid were 'with' the virus while circa 1100 deaths were 'from' Covid. There are a great many examples of families complaining their deceased loved ones had Covid as the cause of death when in fact that clearly, in a great many cases is simply not true. The details across borders are far from clear and it's impossible to consider whether one country did any better than another. Remember that MSM reporting is blatantly anti-Gov no matter what your own political persuasion is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He does play for Wigan
    For the time being Belgian , I wonder how rg will respond when he DOES go?.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

You must have read a different post than me from KB, or I have missed something. There was no use of UK as an example of managing Covid. I don't think the UK managed it well, but neither did they where I live. Some of the countries that seemed to have fared better are those that are Islands with relatively small populations eg Ireland ( I know there is a border with the North) and NZ. Australia were also doing well until recently. For weeks now Singapore have recorded no cases other than in the migrant workers hostels.

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    For the time being Belgian , I wonder how rg will respond when he DOES go?.
    Wigan will have negotiated a fantastic deal, and have a better HB in the academy.

Elstone reputed to be on £440k pa

By way of perspective if Super League was a club that would be nearly a quarter of their salary cap in one major player!
    Last edited by Div; 27th August 2020 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Elstone reputed to be on £440k pa

By way of perspective of Super League was a club that would be nearly a quarter of their salary cap in one major player!
    If he could drag this game out of the gutter, negotiate a good TV deal, bring in a major sponsor, then I wouldn't begrudge him that money. I didn't know him during his Everton tenure, but expected someone that had been working with a PL club to have a bit more drive. I remember at the time of the announcement Angry Dave and other Evertonians saying he was a waste, but I kept hoping, probably in vain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    I read a report a few days ago although looked for it to link but can't find it unfortunately. It stated that the 40k+ deaths in UK attributed to Covid were 'with' the virus while circa 1100 deaths were 'from' Covid. There are a great many examples of families complaining their deceased loved ones had Covid as the cause of death when in fact that clearly, in a great many cases is simply not true. The details across borders are far from clear and it's impossible to consider whether one country did any better than another. Remember that MSM reporting is blatantly anti-Gov no matter what your own political persuasion is.

A sensible post. Comparing worldwide mortality rates on face value is either moronic or naive. ThereÂ’s a degree of cautiousness needed before such introspection as this article outlines:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-19-in-england
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 27th August 2020 at 23:17.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    A sensible post. Anyone comparing worldwide mortality rates on face value is either moronic or naive. ThereÂ’s a degree of cautiousness needed before such introspection as this article outlines:

Thank you. I get a Spectator email sent to me every day free of charge that has a few articles included from where you can dig deeper if you wish. I'd urge anyone to try it. Much better than relying on BBC/ITV/Sky 'news' outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    A sensible post. Comparing worldwide mortality rates on face value is either moronic or naive. ThereÂ’s a degree of cautiousness needed before such introspection as this article outlines:

Gives you a whole different viewpoint on whats happening.

Banned

The whole bloody thing is seriously starting to annoy me now. I've played the game, wore a ridiculous mask, isolated and all the other shit but the longer it goes on the less I see the point in it all. It's starting to feel one big babysitting exercise. I can't stand at the bar and order a pint, I can't walk in shop in a certain door, I can't go to the match, I can't even have a coffee in peace with being mithered to track and trace. Ok, it's a real thing, I don't doubt that but so is cancer and heart disease, so is getting shot by an idiot policeman in the states if you're black according to Sky news.

My point is, why cause all this chaos and upset the world over because of a few old and sick people dying? Why should I sacrifice my livelihood and happiness on the off chance someone "might" kiff it because I "might" have something that's dangerous to small percentage of the population? I realise that probably sounds quite selfish but that's how it's got me, I've never been too good at doing what I'm told and especially not when it affects my everyday life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legman View Post
    Remember that MSM reporting is blatantly anti-Gov no matter what your own political persuasion is.

What utter tosh. The majority of the media are so pro-Tory/pro-Brexit that it's like living in a banana republic. And, through threats of handing them over to Murdoch, the Tories have got the BBC to be nothing more than Tory Party mouthpieces. Laura Kuenssberg can never hide her gushing adoration for these shysters.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    The whole bloody thing is seriously starting to annoy me now. I've played the game, wore a ridiculous mask, isolated and all the other shit but the longer it goes on the less I see the point in it all. It's starting to feel one big babysitting exercise. I can't stand at the bar and order a pint, I can't walk in shop in a certain door, I can't go to the match, I can't even have a coffee in peace with being mithered to track and trace. Ok, it's a real thing, I don't doubt that but so is cancer and heart disease, so is getting shot by an idiot policeman in the states if you're black according to Sky news.

My point is, why cause all this chaos and upset the world over because of a few old and sick people dying? Why should I sacrifice my livelihood and happiness on the off chance someone "might" kiff it because I "might" have something that's dangerous to small percentage of the population? I realise that probably sounds quite selfish but that's how it's got me, I've never been too good at doing what I'm told and especially not when it affects my everyday life.

During the early stages of the epidemic, some regions in Northern Italy were swamped was severe cases. Hospitals were overwhelmed. There were first-hand reports from shellshocked doctors & nurses talking about having to triage between people you could try to save and others they'd have to just let die. It was like a battlefield medical tent. Then there were the fleets of dozens of hearses lined to take the dead away to makeshift mortuaries as the permanent ones for miles around were all full.

That was on merely a regional basis, where the virus was left unchecked, with no social distancing or other measures (masks, sanitiser, etc) because the virus wasn't known about when it was spreading.

Governments rightly realised - some more belatedly than others - that this could be the vision across entire countries if we didn't take measures to curb its spread: hospitals overflowing and unable to cope with the numbers, the dead piling up in the streets. Even if only thinking of their re-election chances, no government wants that on their hands.

I'm as fecked-off with all this as anyone. I've seen my daughters miss key life events, friends lose jobs, my elderly parents lose their only real social life (at least they're alive!). The economic fallout is going to be immense.

I just want the vaccine ready.

But until then, I'm content to 'play the game', to wear my mask, keep my hands clean, socially distance. And hope that our already weak economy can ride through this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    During the early stages of the epidemic, some regions in Northern Italy were swamped was severe cases. Hospitals were overwhelmed. There were first-hand reports from shellshocked doctors & nurses talking about having to triage between people you could try to save and others they'd have to just let die. It was like a battlefield medical tent. Then there were the fleets of dozens of hearses lined to take the dead away to makeshift mortuaries as the permanent ones for miles around were all full.

That was on merely a regional basis, where the virus was left unchecked, with no social distancing or other measures (masks, sanitiser, etc) because the virus wasn't known about when it was spreading.

Governments rightly realised - some more belatedly than others - that this could be the vision across entire countries if we didn't take measures to curb its spread: hospitals overflowing and unable to cope with the numbers, the dead piling up in the streets. Even if only thinking of their re-election chances, no government wants that on their hands.

I'm as fecked-off with all this as anyone. I've seen my daughters miss key life events, friends lose jobs, my elderly parents lose their only real social life (at least they're alive!). The economic fallout is going to be immense.

I just want the vaccine ready.

But until then, I'm content to 'play the game', to wear my mask, keep my hands clean, socially distance. And hope that our already weak economy can ride through this.
    I get it like, I'm not stupid and I'll continue to do as I'm told but that doesn't mean I'll like it.