Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Barba thrown a lifeline?

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Similar thoughts, the last third of the season with us in my opinion he was a disgrace in his temperament to play at 100% up to his last game. Well and truly burnt his bridges at the club in my opinion.
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Interesting take, I'm the opposite really. I would argue that the NRL distraction was actually the reason we got six months of brilliance out of him whilst he tried to land a contract down there. I'm of the opinion that no NRL distraction wouldn't mean he was at it every week but would actually mean he'd have little to motivate him and would mean he'd be going through the motions for a bit of cash before he packs it in. With the NRL distraction we got 6 months of brilliance and then a year of lack of interest. With no distraction we'd maybe just get the latter from the word go.
    To be honest Gray, you & Stiddy are most likely right.

I had the same view but for some reason have deviated when his attitude is at best, questionable..

Couple of my mates want him back, others want the club to go nowhere near him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Interesting take, I'm the opposite really. I would argue that the NRL distraction was actually the reason we got six months of brilliance out of him whilst he tried to land a contract down there. I'm of the opinion that no NRL distraction wouldn't mean he was at it every week but would actually mean he'd have little to motivate him and would mean he'd be going through the motions for a bit of cash before he packs it in. With the NRL distraction we got 6 months of brilliance and then a year of lack of interest. With no distraction we'd maybe just get the latter from the word go.
    Interesting viewpoint I never thought of it in that context. All I know for sure is that the second half of the season, he was a disgrace to the jersey.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I’ve been thinking about it and I wonder what effect it would have on the squad. A lot of players played with him last time round and effectively downing tools once he got an NRL contract couldn’t have gone unnoticed. Plus what impact would it have on the likes of Dodd, Welsby, Simm etc who would have their game time cut. Also you’ve got Coote who was effectively kicked out of North Queensland to make room for Barba. For me the negatives would massively outweigh the positives.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

I don't know about anyone else but I always got the impression that Jonny Lomax wasn't as fulsome in his congratulations when Barba scored as other members of the team were! Jonny likes being Saints super star and I think he resented a little the plaudits that BB got!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’ve been thinking about it and I wonder what effect it would have on the squad. A lot of players played with him last time round and effectively downing tools once he got an NRL contract couldn’t have gone unnoticed. Plus what impact would it have on the likes of Dodd, Welsby, Simm etc who would have their game time cut. Also you’ve got Coote who was effectively kicked out of North Queensland to make room for Barba. For me the negatives would massively outweigh the positives.
    I don't think Holbrook handled it very well, it stood out like a sore thumb that once Barba became disinterested it put a lot a lot of pressure on our pivots in Lomax, Roby and Richardson the latter struggled with his game and Barba made it worse by not linking up with him. It was less of a problem with Lomax and Roby who had experience to work around the problem. Lomax had a spell in the season where he didn't show him much respect at times so he must have sussed him out early doors.

The other players must have seen this shift change in his attitude, the players didn't deserve at the business end of the season to carry him as a passenger especially when they busted a gut to try and get that major silverware.

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I always got the impression that Jonny Lomax wasn't as fulsome in his congratulations when Barba scored as other members of the team were! Jonny likes being Saints super star and I think he resented a little the plaudits that BB got!
    Where’ve you got that from about Lomax. I don’t know him personally but he comes across a little shy to me in his public persona but someone who bleeds red and white for the club, not someone wrapped up in being the best in everyone else’s eyes.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I agree with that (the bit that's in bold), at the start of the year they always seemed to congratulate each other when a try was scored. Towards the end of the season, if Barba scored Jonny just seemed to tap everyone else on the back and then make his way back for the restart. Maybe I'm overthinking it but JL does love this club. I definitely don't think he resented the plaudits BB got, was probably just annoyed that he'd stopped playing at his best and wasn't interested in playing for the club anymore. Maybe it rubbed Jonny up the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised, we were all pee'd off with Barba's attitude.

I remember the interview he gave for SAINTS TV at the end of season awards in 2019, and he said he was shocked he won the fan's player of the year award, He quickly mentioned that he doesn't have a chant and I remember being genuinely a bit upset for him. If anyone deserves his name sung at this club, it's him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbtq...St.HelensR.F.C.

Learning All The Songs

Where’ve you got that from about Lomax. I don’t know him personally but he comes across a little shy to me in his public persona but someone who bleeds red and white for the club, not someone wrapped up in being the best in everyone else’s eyes.
    Don't get me wrong! I love Jonny and he provided a brilliant link at FB then it was BB instead. It may be as someone else said, that it was the second half of the season after BB put the cue on the rack.
    To me Jonny is a star and although he would never make that claim, he was moved to accommodate BB and just got on with it for the sake of the club!
    With Cootie, he is a team player with the same ethic Jonny has!

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Genuinely believe that you would be mad to take him back. He used Wire to leverage a contract with Saints, he used Saints to leverage a contract in the NRL and guess what would happen if he got a contract with any team in SL.

I don't know him but I have met him twice. You wouldn't meet a nicer more humble guy anywhere. I agree that even when you are speaking to him he seems a bit shy, but a great role model.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Genuinely believe that you would be mad to take him back. He used Wire to leverage a contract with Saints, he used Saints to leverage a contract in the NRL and guess what would happen if he got a contract with any team in SL.
    He won't be coming back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    As a full back running the ball the guy is box office.
    In every other facet of the game be that under a high ball, defensive work , general organisation and kicking Coote is a far better player.
    He'd do a job somewhere for someone but I agree it's not at Saints. We would mad to lose Coote. He was possibly the difference between nearly men and back to back Champions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    As a full back running the ball the guy is box office.
    In every other facet of the game be that under a high ball, defensive work , general organisation and kicking Coote is a far better player.
    He'd do a job somewhere for someone but I agree it's not at Saints. We would mad to lose Coote. He was possibly the difference between nearly men and back to back Champions.
    Couldn't agree more. As much as I would love to see a player of that attacking quality in our team that prick in the words of Wolfie has burnt his bridges. Aside from his misdemeanors which are nothing to do with the club, he shit on us and I can't forgive that, especially after we paid his wages while he sat on his backside for 12 weeks or whatever it was.

Couldn't agree more. As much as I would love to see a player of that attacking quality in our team that prick in the words of Wolfie has burnt his bridges. Aside from his misdemeanors which are nothing to do with the club, he shit on us and I can't forgive that, especially after we paid his wages while he sat on his backside for 12 weeks or whatever it was.
    Fully agree. I don't want to see him back in SL at all. I would not have him back here, and on the off chance he does put some effort in, I don't want to see him tearing it up for a rival.

In The South Stand

Barba had been doing us for quite a few gaes near the end of season , one sticks in my mind someone near me going on about us being lucky to get hi he was surprised when i said i wish they would drop him the answer to the look on his face was , have you not noticed all he does is stand 50 yards behind the team and wave his arms.

Barba actually stepped aside from making a tackle at Bolton against Catalans in the semi.
    That said, if it hadn't been a brain fart from his countryman at Wheldon Road he probably would have played in a GF for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Barba actually stepped aside from making a tackle at Bolton against Catalans in the semi.
    That said, if it hadn't been a brain fart from his countryman at Wheldon Road he probably would have played in a GF for us.
    As much as it was a major faux pas from Morgan, if Percival had put his boots on the right feet, it wouldn't have mattered.

Rarely have I seen a goal kicker look as utterly hopeless as he did that night. He couldn't kick anything

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Barba had been doing us for quite a few gaes near the end of season , one sticks in my mind someone near me going on about us being lucky to get hi he was surprised when i said i wish they would drop him the answer to the look on his face was , have you not noticed all he does is stand 50 yards behind the team and wave his arms.
    I did notice that. But he also did it throughout the season.

What I saw from it was he was directing players into defensive positions. Sort of you there and you over there kinda situation.

I never really rated his defence, but he wasnt brought in for that. He was brought in to Score points. We had the style of play that was you score 20 we'll score 30.

He let us down in his going forward. He gave up on us when we threw him a lifeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    As much as it was a major faux pas from Morgan, if Percival had put his boots on the right feet, it wouldn't have mattered.

Rarely have I seen a goal kicker look as utterly hopeless as he did that night. He couldn't kick anything
    Still not sure why Matty Smith wasn’t on kicking duties. Percival has never looked like a first choice kicker for me, not that he hasn’t done a good job on occasion.

Crickey that game still gives me nightmares! To come from 10 points down with 10 minutes to go, to then lead by 2, and then for Morgan to have a brain fart, was absolutely heartbreaking.

Banned

Strange lad Morgan. He wasn't bad at all. Then he did that, which in fairness was out of character he was steady if nothing else. Never understand it. However if we had got to that final and lost again to Leeds who fired in that final against CASl. Just imagine that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Strange lad Morgan. He wasn't bad at all. Then he did that, which in fairness was out of character he was steady if nothing else. Never understand it. However if we had got to that final and lost again to Leeds who fired in that final against CASl. Just imagine that?
    Was an odd one. I thought he was half decent. Certainly scored some quality tries. Seemed a really quiet lad

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Crickey that game still gives me nightmares! To come from 10 points down with 10 minutes to go, to then lead by 2, and then for Morgan to have a brain fart, was absolutely heartbreaking.
    Was a terrible trip home that. Beer tasted a bit sour

Still not sure why Matty Smith wasn’t on kicking duties. Percival has never looked like a first choice kicker for me, not that he hasn’t done a good job on occasion.
    I couldn't work that out either. Or Makinson. Not half bad with the boot.

On reflection, that game was one of the lessons we learned on the way to finally getting over the line in 2019