Jungle Out There Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Barba thrown a lifeline?

  1. #26
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,122
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Not really sure what your point is, I was talking about his commitment rather than his moral standards.
    As for the “facilities” point ...
    Yeah, you’re right. He shouldn’t have been bothered about his grandparent dying on the other side of the globe and should have been more focused on a game of Rugby.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  2. #27
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    654
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintgibbo View Post
    In a nutshell: no criminal conviction for assaulting his brother in law. There is a clause in his Spanish contract that states if he is approached by an NRL or SL club he will be released. Can’t see it happening here.
    The question is at what point can he go after them for restraint of trade if he has no convictions?

  3. #28
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Would you really want him back after his impression of the Invisible Man for the second half of the season?
    Talking of invisible.


  4. #29
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Talking of invisible.

    Dave, why have you posted a blank photo?

  5. #30
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Dave, why have you posted a blank photo?
    That's just the look on his face.

  6. #31
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Thinking red and white by the beach in Oz!!!

  7. #32
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I just don’t understand some of the attitude on here. I raised what I thought was a perfectly legitimate and relevant point about the topic. Namely would you want Barba back after he went missing in action once his NRL contract was signed. I get it that most of you don’t like my team, as has been made clear on innumerable occasions, but why not give a reasoned response than all the frothy mouthed posturing?
    For what it’s worth, you won’t find much argument from Wire fans re Widdop, although it is early days yet (Barba didn’t exactly set the world alight in his first few games either).

  8. #33
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Yeah, you’re right. He shouldn’t have been bothered about his grandparent dying on the other side of the globe and should have been more focused on a game of Rugby.
    Do you sincerely believe it was that rather than his NRL contract that was the distraction?

  9. #34
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,413
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I just donít understand some of the attitude on here. I raised what I thought was a perfectly legitimate and relevant point about the topic. Namely would you want Barba back after he went missing in action once his NRL contract was signed. I get it that most of you donít like my team, as has been made clear on innumerable occasions, but why not give a reasoned response than all the frothy mouthed posturing?
    For what itís worth, you wonít find much argument from Wire fans re Widdop, although it is early days yet (Barba didnít exactly set the world alight in his first few games either).
    Fwiw no I dont think any SL club would be interested. Would take him at least a month to get fit so whats the point of taking a risk on a proven trouble maker and the sizeable baggage that goes with it.

  10. #35
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Barba still has the conviction against his partner against him. He won’t play NRL. Would you want him back in SL.?
    GW not doing so well!!! Why the hell Barba would want to play in Spain is beyond me!!!

  11. #36
    Noooobie Sainthood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I just don’t understand some of the attitude on here. I raised what I thought was a perfectly legitimate and relevant point about the topic. .
    That's a bit disingenuous of you isn't it? Saying 'impression of the invisible man' is a clear goad. In answer to your question - if we were in need of him I would personally have him, but I don't see where he'd fit in without upsetting the balance of the team at this moment, especially given he'd need at least 6 months to get back to speed - something we could afford to give him when he first came and were weak in that position. The only reason I'd take him now is so he doesn't end up at a rival club.

  12. #37
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,422
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Not for me, I think his time here was sensational for a while then ultimately disappointing. He has too much stuff going on around him, and it's clearly obvious that the only reason he ever played for us and would ever play for us in future is because his preferred option was/is closed to him. Nothing wrong with that professionally, but once a sniff of an NRL contract came his way he was mentally done with us, and that would be the case again. Again, nothing wrong with a professional looking for the best options and the best deal, but the way he dropped off in the second half of 2018 was not good. He may have had personal issues and family issues, but there was more to it than that.

    I've seen many examples of top players in many sports claiming that the 80-90 minutes on the park at the weekend were the greatest escape from their issues, and players tend to leave their grief on the touchline because playing is a great release from real-life issues. Barba may have dropped his intensity in training because of issues, but in the games you would have thought he was free for a while to express himself and let loose. He did the opposite, which indicates he wasn't interested anymore, mainly because he'd already done enough to get the NRL contract. Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's the impression I got.

  13. #38
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    No chance of Barba ever returning. The NRL gave him an "Indefinite Ban" in 2019 which is their equivalent of "Sine Die" and the RFL have already stated they will honour that ban.

    Fans from as many clubs as you like can get excited about possibly signing Barba, but unless he can get the NRL to rescind his ban then he'll never play top flight RL again.

  14. #39
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,975
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Do you sincerely believe it was that rather than his NRL contract that was the distraction?
    No

  15. #40
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    That's a bit disingenuous of you isn't it? Saying 'impression of the invisible man' is a clear goad. In answer to your question - if we were in need of him I would personally have him, but I don't see where he'd fit in without upsetting the balance of the team at this moment, especially given he'd need at least 6 months to get back to speed - something we could afford to give him when he first came and were weak in that position. The only reason I'd take him now is so he doesn't end up at a rival club.
    Genuinely wasn’t meant to stir trouble, I thought it was a reflection of the generally held view of his last season. I deliberately avoided the term “turnstile “!

  16. #41
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,975
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Not for me, I think his time here was sensational for a while then ultimately disappointing. He has too much stuff going on around him, and it's clearly obvious that the only reason he ever played for us and would ever play for us in future is because his preferred option was/is closed to him. Nothing wrong with that professionally, but once a sniff of an NRL contract came his way he was mentally done with us, and that would be the case again. Again, nothing wrong with a professional looking for the best options and the best deal, but the way he dropped off in the second half of 2018 was not good. He may have had personal issues and family issues, but there was more to it than that.

    I've seen many examples of top players in many sports claiming that the 80-90 minutes on the park at the weekend were the greatest escape from their issues, and players tend to leave their grief on the touchline because playing is a great release from real-life issues. Barba may have dropped his intensity in training because of issues, but in the games you would have thought he was free for a while to express himself and let loose. He did the opposite, which indicates he wasn't interested anymore, mainly because he'd already done enough to get the NRL contract. Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's the impression I got.
    You really are right on this one.

  17. #42
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I just don’t understand some of the attitude on here. I raised what I thought was a perfectly legitimate and relevant point about the topic. Namely would you want Barba back after he went missing in action once his NRL contract was signed. I get it that most of you don’t like my team, as has been made clear on innumerable occasions, but why not give a reasoned response than all the frothy mouthed posturing?
    For what it’s worth, you won’t find much argument from Wire fans re Widdop, although it is early days yet (Barba didn’t exactly set the world alight in his first few games either).
    You don't understand that you support Warrington and that will always be brought against you when you question Saints? Me personally, no, I wouldn't want him back even for a few games. He's burnt his bridges at Saints IMO but absolutely no doubt someone (wink wink) in SL would sign him.

    And don't cry about frothy mouthed posturing, you've had an easy ride on here as you generally post sense but if you want to post on a rival(ish) teams board then you have to expect a bit stick from time to time.

  18. #43
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,388
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Genuinely wasn’t meant to stir trouble, I thought it was a reflection of the generally held view of his last season. I deliberately avoided the term “turnstile “!
    We didn't really get a good return from him, 20 great games out of his 34 appearances, wasn't really good defensively when under pressure became lazy and then turned into that "turnstile". From what we know now he isn't the best team player and is easily distracted as history shows. The club did the right thing in signing him because he had points to prove and we got the benefit from it but once the NRL were aware of his good form they were always going to come a knocking.

  19. #44
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,112
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We didn't really get a good return from him, 20 great games out of his 34 appearances, wasn't really good defensively when under pressure became lazy and then turned into that "turnstile". From what we know now he isn't the best team player and is easily distracted as history shows. The club did the right thing in signing him because he had points to prove and we got the benefit from it but once the NRL were aware of his good form they were always going to come a knocking.

    I think we got a fantastic return on him. In that first 50-60% of the season, he was sensational, pure box office. It got not just the attention of the British RL-supporting public but a lot of those in Aus and some casual watchers. That attention was on Saints as a club, too. We became *the* club in SuperLeague once again.

    Most of all, though, he helped usher in the notion that free-flowing Saints as 'the entertainers' were back after a prolonged flirtation with sh*te rugby. We carried that mentality into last season and smashed SL. When we began this season playing a conservative game, look at the reaction from fans.

    That isn't to deny the fact his game went off later that season. I agree that his head being back in the NRL (not wanting to get injured?) played a part, but I also think as a team we began to get too predictable. Don't forget that we also recouped a big chunk of what we paid him as a transfer fee (I hope there was no money-back guarantee included!)

    Would I have him back now? Absolutely no. It would send out the wrong signal - a player who turned his back on us welcomed with open arms? No thank you. A player who very publicly assaulted his partner? Again, not a chance; too much negative publicity, not to mention to moral considerations. And also, he's not played the game professionally for getting on for 2 years. Especially with him being toward the end of his career and relying on his searing acceleration, I could see him taking an age to get fit and only ever being a shadow of the blockbuster player he was for us for several months.

    A sad tale for sure, and I feel most for his partner and kids. But it wasn't our choice that he went back to Aus and the bad influences he has there.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  20. #45
    In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,732
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Looks like a future nailed on Catalan signing for me
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

  21. #46
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You don't understand that you support Warrington and that will always be brought against you when you question Saints? Me personally, no, I wouldn't want him back even for a few games. He's burnt his bridges at Saints IMO but absolutely no doubt someone (wink wink) in SL would sign him.

    And don't cry about frothy mouthed posturing, you've had an easy ride on here as you generally post sense but if you want to post on a rival(ish) teams board then you have to expect a bit stick from time to time.
    I’m not upset by the response, it just seems a bit Pavlovian. Having said that there are plenty of reasoned replies which further the topic. I actually think Barba had a lot in common with Sandow, definite star quality but the demons were never far from the surface.

  22. #47
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Group hug anyone?

  23. #48
    Got A Season Ticket scrogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    378
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Barba was a very special player for a half season, then became a liability. I wouldnít take him over any of our current squad in positions he could go.
    His future does not lie with us. Iím sure wire have plenty of cap space left, otherwise itís almost a cert. heís Catalans bound.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #49
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    960
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think we got a fantastic return on him. In that first 50-60% of the season, he was sensational, pure box office. It got not just the attention of the British RL-supporting public but a lot of those in Aus and some casual watchers. That attention was on Saints as a club, too. We became *the* club in SuperLeague once again.

    Most of all, though, he helped usher in the notion that free-flowing Saints as 'the entertainers' were back after a prolonged flirtation with sh*te rugby. We carried that mentality into last season and smashed SL. When we began this season playing a conservative game, look at the reaction from fans.

    That isn't to deny the fact his game went off later that season. I agree that his head being back in the NRL (not wanting to get injured?) played a part, but I also think as a team we began to get too predictable. Don't forget that we also recouped a big chunk of what we paid him as a transfer fee (I hope there was no money-back guarantee included!)

    Would I have him back now? Absolutely no. It would send out the wrong signal - a player who turned his back on us welcomed with open arms? No thank you. A player who very publicly assaulted his partner? Again, not a chance; too much negative publicity, not to mention to moral considerations. And also, he's not played the game professionally for getting on for 2 years. Especially with him being toward the end of his career and relying on his searing acceleration, I could see him taking an age to get fit and only ever being a shadow of the blockbuster player he was for us for several months.

    A sad tale for sure, and I feel most for his partner and kids. But it wasn't our choice that he went back to Aus and the bad influences he has there.
    Your on the money with that reason for the form drop, we became one dimensional and his head on defence was always poor.
    We were at Magic when he was being courted by numerous clubs, then the whisper we had him, the performance on that weekend, there was a feel good factor that Saints were back at the head of the top table. Them first few games he managed to squeeze in for short range tries, but looked slow, remember him giving up on the Tupou chase back when Robes carried on to the line? Then we nearly got to the GF as he got sharper, he came back from Christmas Down Under early for preseason and when the season started, whoa!
    You are also spot on reference fitness it will be next season before he gets up to speed, if ever.
    With Justin and him we got our mojo back, for that I will be forever grateful, thanks for the memories Benny, but Coote is a better team player.

  25. #50
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I’m not upset by the response, it just seems a bit Pavlovian. Having said that there are plenty of reasoned replies which further the topic. I actually think Barba had a lot in common with Sandow, definite star quality but the demons were never far from the surface.
    He was 10 times the player that Sandow was, although probably a bigger gobshite too, saying that, everytime I, and mates of mine met him he was absolutely spot on but as the thread pinned at the top of the board points out it's not always what you actually see, it's what's lurking underneath. Anyway, I'm going out with a wire bird on Sunday, if she's overweight or has BO which I expect, what's a decent taxi number to get me out of there quickly?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •