Quote Originally Posted by Benyon View Post
    Don’t feel bad the majority are doom mongers on here
    What on earth would make you think that

Starting A Programme Collection

St Helens Star / Ben Barba sorry he left Saints

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. He moved on and boy so have we.......

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Banned

It's a sad story with a big human cost. It's his wife and kids I feel most sorry for. Here was the ideal setting for them as a family, and the squad at Saints is a particularly decent and mature set of guys that kept him on the straight and narrow. But the pull of going back to Australia for both the NRL 'unfinished business' and his extended family/friends was too much. Unfortunately, he went back to the bad influences and his demons reawakened.

Was ages ago that interview. About 6 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post

Although he was box office when he was on his game, you are spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's a sad story with a big human cost. It's his wife and kids I feel most sorry for. Here was the ideal setting for them as a family, and the squad at Saints is a particularly decent and mature set of guys that kept him on the straight and narrow. But the pull of going back to Australia for both the NRL 'unfinished business' and his extended family/friends was too much. Unfortunately, he went back to the bad influences and his demons reawakened.
    Yup. Made a lot of mistakes and lost a lot of money doing it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I mean we know he was using super league as a shop window for an NRL contract and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It’s a shame really cos if he had been fully committed and stayed here he could have had 4 or 5 seasons on marquee money establishing himself as a club legend on a par with Jamie Lyon. Whether he’d have had the mental ability to stick it out or whether being over here would have actually made things better for him who knows. He left, we got Coote and back to back super leagues.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I mean we know he was using super league as a shop window for an NRL contract and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It’s a shame really cos if he had been fully committed and stayed here he could have had 4 or 5 seasons on marquee money establishing himself as a club legend on a par with Jamie Lyon. Whether he’d have had the mental ability to stick it out or whether being over here would have actually made things better for him who knows. He left, we got Coote and back to back super leagues.
    Yup. Much as some of his plays were simply breathtaking, on a par with Lyon for being able to conjure a break out of nothing, Coote has been phenomenal in terms of his all-round game and offers us more generally.

With the benefit of hindsight, Barba was really important to us. We'd had a prolonged period of not being top dog in SL. Some of the Sky team (including Hemmings) seemed pleased that we were out of the picture, and were pretty disregarding of us (despite us finishing league leaders in 2014, Sky presented the GF as little more than a coronation for the scum). The Cunningham reign sank us further, and we had become just another also-ran. We'd lost our mantle as 'The Entertainers' and had some really mediocre players on our books.

Whilst Holbrook joining helped put us back on the road to our 'perch', it was the signing of Barba and his performances in that early 2018 season that had us elbowing our way back into the limelight as an exciting team to watch. He brought a buzz of excitement to us fans. He made us relevant again to fans of other clubs, we once more began to fear us. They expressed that fear with songs and jibes about Barba going home. They were right... but the last laugh was on them.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 9th February 2021 at 14:27.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Can't see the club ever thinking about him on a return, they wouldn't trust him. Wire, Goons and Leeds might see the pros and cons and ignore the latter if they are not all that bothered in having a defensive full back.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Can't see the club ever thinking about him on a return, they wouldn't trust him. Wire, Goons and Leeds might see the pros and cons and ignore the latter if they are not all that bothered in having a defensive full back.
    No why would they? It's a weird one because normally when a world class player leaves, you feel it. Not once since he left have I thought, we are missing Barba. That's credit to Coote too.

I hope someone does give him a chance though. He is a human being with a family to feed regardless of his past misdemeanors. It would be nice for him to find peace with the sport before it's too late, but it won't be at saints. We've done our bit for him, and he'll be remembered for some outstanding displays in the red vee. I'm grateful to have been able to meet and watch such a talented player grace the fields of the TWS.

Good luck to him and his family.

RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Starting A Programme Collection

No why would they? It's a weird one because normally when a world class player leaves, you feel it. Not once since he left have I thought, we are missing Barba. That's credit to Coote too.

I hope someone does give him a chance though. He is a human being with a family to feed regardless of his past misdemeanors. It would be nice for him to find peace with the sport before it's too late, but it won't be at saints. We've done our bit for him, and he'll be remembered for some outstanding displays in the red vee. I'm grateful to have been able to meet and watch such a talented player grace the fields of the TWS.

Good luck to him and his family.

It was a relief to see him go in the end - total disrespect for the shirt and total disrespect for the Opportunity he was given . I would never like to see him in the red V again. As a wife beater , I donΒ’t want to see him in our game again .

When it comes down to it, he was a great solo player who for 2018 became the whole attacking focal point of the team and won a MOS and a LLS, missing tackles and ending the season crying into the turf, then sashaying back to Australia at the earliest opportunity.......

Coote replaced him, and made the whole team better, brought other players on instead of being the centre of everything. Won a LLS and back to back GF....

As a matter of interest Jackson Hastings has been the centre of everything at Salford and Wigan and has also won MOS and a LLS

Coincidence?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    It was a relief to see him go in the end - total disrespect for the shirt and total disrespect for the Opportunity he was given . I would never like to see him in the red V again. As a wife beater , I donΒ’t want to see him in our game again .
    This. He’s had his chances and blown them over and over, he doesn’t deserve another chance to balls it up again....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    pretty much agree with this. We had a great half season out of him, but we improved when he left. we are far better off now than when he played. I don't know how long Coote will stay, but he is younger than Barba and his game is not as reliant on speed, Potentially he could go on at a good level longer than we ever would have got from Barba.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    When it comes down to it, he was a great solo player who for 2018 became the whole attacking focal point of the team and won a MOS and a LLS, missing tackles and ending the season crying into the turf, then sashaying back to Australia at the earliest opportunity.......

Coote replaced him, and made the whole team better, brought other players on instead of being the centre of everything. Won a LLS and back to back GF....
    ?
    You're right.
    Barba appeared to be unplayable at the start of the season due to his undoubted natural ability, he's probably the most gifted player I've ever seen with ball in hand.
    However, we were a one trick pony team and when the better teams cottoned on to that, combined with a dip in form or interest from Barba, we came unstuck.
    Coote came in as more of a team player and the rest is history.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    pretty much agree with this. We had a great half season out of him, but we improved when he left. we are far better off now than when he played. I don't know how long Coote will stay, but he is younger than Barba and his game is not as reliant on speed, Potentially he could go on at a good level longer than we ever would have got from Barba.
    Can't remember where i read it,but i did read something saying he would be off back home once his contract is up. Something to do with kids schooling and not wanting to mess about with it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Can't remember where i read it,but i did read something saying he would be off back home once his contract is up. Something to do with kids schooling and not wanting to mess about with it.
    Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks anyway.

In The South Stand

Barba playing on one leg, grieving on the other side of the world and the interest from the NRL was his eventual downfall with us.

I’m still fuming that he was playing, clearly injured for weeks leading up the Catalans semi-final at Bolton. We had Wigan and Warrington prior to that game and he played both, in what were, despite who the opponents are and what games against them stand for, dead rubber games. Even Holbrook said at half-time at Bolton that Barba had a knock but persisted with him for the second half, when we had Fages, Lomax and Richardson in the side that day, making it a fairly easy switch to make.

I sympathise with him losing a relative and deciding not to go back home. It’s probably missed by us fans really but the fact he put the team first and stayed rather than going home to attend the funeral was a huge decision to make. In hindsight, he wasn’t at his best physically or mentally but it shouldn’t be understated what he did then, even if it didn’t work.

Ultimately, Barba remains one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen play for the club and his ability, when he was on his game, was right up there with the best. His try at Cas, left me stood with my mouth open. It was simply sublime. Ultimately though, it’s all turned out alright for us. Coote come in and while less exciting in terms of flair, he’s a key component in our squad both defensively and in the attack and when it comes, he’ll be a huge miss.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club