Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barba thrown a lifeline?

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Barba was absolutely brilliant. He even said it himself that he's was out the spot light over here and was able to focus on himself, family and his rugby. Then the distraction of returning to Australia came back. You could tell his heart was set to go back to Aus with some of the performances he put in. IMO he s**t on our club. A club that had given him the chance to salvage his career. Then his life spiralled out of control again.

Could he get back to the performances that hes done in the past, i think so. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Do I think theres a club that will give him a chance in SL, absolutely. He's a talent that would improve most squads.

However, given the chances he's had, I think he's stupid enough to mess things up again. I wouldn't go near him because he cant help himself. Shame because he could have been an all time great.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Not for me, I think his time here was sensational for a while then ultimately disappointing. He has too much stuff going on around him, and it's clearly obvious that the only reason he ever played for us and would ever play for us in future is because his preferred option was/is closed to him. Nothing wrong with that professionally, but once a sniff of an NRL contract came his way he was mentally done with us, and that would be the case again. Again, nothing wrong with a professional looking for the best options and the best deal, but the way he dropped off in the second half of 2018 was not good. He may have had personal issues and family issues, but there was more to it than that.

I've seen many examples of top players in many sports claiming that the 80-90 minutes on the park at the weekend were the greatest escape from their issues, and players tend to leave their grief on the touchline because playing is a great release from real-life issues. Barba may have dropped his intensity in training because of issues, but in the games you would have thought he was free for a while to express himself and let loose. He did the opposite, which indicates he wasn't interested anymore, mainly because he'd already done enough to get the NRL contract. Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's the impression I got.
    Fair points well made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have him back because frankly Lachlan Coote is a far better all round player for us.
    When all is said and done he contributed to a season that had us seconds from yet another GF if Morgan hadn't given a ludicrous penalty away ironically after BB had fielded the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I wouldn't have him back because frankly Lachlan Coote is a far better all round player for us.
    When all is said and done he contributed to a season that had us seconds from yet another GF if Morgan hadn't given a ludicrous penalty away ironically after BB had fielded the ball.
    I think Coote is a better player as well.

He's head and shoulders the best fullback in the league

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Agreed, given our current first choice backs I'd struggle to think of which if any of our them I'd replace with Barba, but as we can see at the moment circumstances change.
    Judging by the NRL this new faster game seems to be taking its toll with injuries.

If these new rules are here to stay the format of teams and the subs-bench could change so an extra back on the bench maybe the way forward.

Whether Barba could ever get his fitness back to the required levels maybe an issue, he struggled in the short season he had when he first joined us.

He was certainly an entertaining player and it's interesting to consider the possibilities but, sadly, I think this ship has sailed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Barba definitely more exciting to watch as an individual in attack, but Coote brings much more to the team than Barba would. I wouldn't change what we have now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Barba was brilliant to watch on his day. But Barba made Barba look good. Coote is a solid all rounder and a better team player. I was critical when we signed Coote but he’s been brilliant for us.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think Coote is a better player as well.

He's head and shoulders the best fullback in the league
    I agree Coote is the standout FB in the comp but Barba at his brilliant best was exceptional however there always seems to be a price to pay for such brilliance. Back in time to Best & Higgins would be reasonable examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Barba definitely more exciting to watch as an individual in attack, but Coote brings much more to the team than Barba would. I wouldn't change what we have now.
    Agree totally, Barba did some things on a regular basis that others simply couldn't. He was absolutely breathtaking to watch at times, and I'm glad we signed him back.

Coote is excellent in what he does for us, there are numerous examples in sport where an individual just works and improves a team so much

Whilst Barba was an incredible attacking player, rugby league is not just an attacking game. He was weak defensively and it held him back.

Coote is not an explosive attacker like Barba, but his incisive passing, support play, organisation and kicking makes him a huge attacking asset. Although one that is less widely recognised or appreciated outside of Saints fans. It's not a coincidence that we struggled pre lockdown without him.

Then his defensive positioning and abilities fielding kicks is also one of the best in the league.

All in all, Coote is a superior player to Barba in my view. He's one of the best bits of recruitment we've made for a long time.

Wow! I never thought BB would ever play RL again.
    Wonders never cease.
    So now it has happened, he is soooo going to wankyton.
    With a possible side bet on the wineos.
    Both have plenty of cash in their rubber salary pot.
    I have a horrible feeling we will have to watch him ghost his way through our defence.
    That would really hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    Wonders never cease.
    I have a horrible feeling we will have to watch him ghost his way through our defence.
    That would really hurt!
    Nope. He’s past it.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Wonders never cease.
    That would really hurt!
    Even if the rules on foreign players are as optional for us as the salary cap, can’t see us being interested after he played Simon Moran for a fool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    Whilst Barba was an incredible attacking player, rugby league is not just an attacking game. He was weak defensively and it held him back.

Coote is not an explosive attacker like Barba, but his incisive passing, support play, organisation and kicking makes him a huge attacking asset. Although one that is less widely recognised or appreciated outside of Saints fans. It's not a coincidence that we struggled pre lockdown without him.

Then his defensive positioning and abilities fielding kicks is also one of the best in the league.

All in all, Coote is a superior player to Barba in my view. He's one of the best bits of recruitment we've made for a long time.
    Give me fullbacks like Coote Veivers or Wellens over Barba every time

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

I would just love for Barba to get back in the game he is one of the best players ever to put a Saints shirt I have ever seen , one try in particular was one of the most powerful pieces of brilliance I have ever seen , it was either the wakey or Cas game at home playing towards the West stand I was low down in the south and Percival released early , the power on Barba was unbelievable, we all tence up when we think one of our lads is going to score , I didn't I just clapped and he had hardly crossed the halfway line , could anyone put the link on if possible please.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Wonders never cease.
    That would really hurt!
    Catalan I think - suits their recruitment policy to a T.

S of France suits his lifestyle too I would think
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Catalan I think - suits their recruitment policy to a T.

S of France suits his lifestyle too I would think

It is amazing how some people seem to get chance after chance after chance no matter how many times they screw up.

There is no way I would ever want him back in a Saints Shirt. In my opinion Lachlan Coote is a better all round full back. Yes there are times when Barba does brilliant stuff ball in hand, but if you were in a grand final 14-12 up with 5 minutes to go and the pies or Warrington were pounding our line, I know who I would want organising the back line. Coote with his organisational skills helps the other players when defending. He is truly awesome.

Got A Replica Shirt

Won’t happen. He’s been playing in central Qld. Spain!!! He’s past it and who would seriously take a risk on him. Unless you wrap him up and transport him like Hannibal Lector ��

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Saintgibbo View Post
    Won’t happen. He’s been playing in central Qld. Spain!!! He’s past it and who would seriously take a risk on him. Unless you wrap him up and transport him like Hannibal Lector ��
    The team in Valencia is due to be part of the EuroXIIIs scheduled to start next year, I don't think the standard is going to be very high so even an unfit Barba would be a stand out player.

It is an ambitious project made even more difficult with Covid travel restrictions, it will be interesting if it ever kicks off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_XIII

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

He'll play a handful of games in Spain for fitness, this will only happen if he's got a club lined up, isn't Evalds leaving Salford? He could end up there..

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    He'll play a handful of games in Spain for fitness, this will only happen if he's got a club lined up, isn't Evalds leaving Salford? He could end up there..
    Evalds has signed for Castleford for next season!

Learning All The Songs

Meant to say you’ve suggested a possible opening there!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saintgibbo View Post
    Warrington have took a punt on Greg Inglis and he'd fit in with club culture perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Warrington have took a punt on Greg Inglis and he'd fit in with club culture perfectly.
    Dead right. He will feel right at home at wankytown. There are a couple of Wigan scumbag who would fit in there with him too.

Got A Replica Shirt

Good to see you spreading the love fellas. He wasn’t playing league in Mackay, but Aussie Rules last up.