Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Castleford

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Costello did nothing wrong last week so should be in for Percy next game.

Welsby probably getting the wing spot if fit & needed.
    But Costello is also leaving at the end if the season so there’s little benefit in playing him unless the coaching staff believe there are basic flaws in Simm’s game. Costello is steady enough but is there really much benefit in him playing over Simm. I guess the coaching staff know more the answer.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 16th August 2020 at 23:13.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Grade F. 8+ matches?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Behave. Will it heck. He clearly wasnt looking what he was doing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Agree with this, Fages is very good defensively and a good player to have around in the squad but he’s never a scrum half, his kicking game is appalling and decision making near the line isn’t much better. Lees is one of the most overrated players we’ve had in the last few years, he’s aggressive but makes hardly any metres and does little of any benefit. Hopefully he’ll improve in the next few years but if he goes to the NRL then good luck to him, he’ll be back in Super league within two years. Difficult to watch but a very good win nevertheless.
    And yet we won... Send Lees to Runcorn Highfield and Fages to Nottingham Crusaders and sign Danny ‘can’t tackle’ and Tony Clubb quick...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    But Costello is also leaving at the end if the season so there’s little benefit in playing him unless the coaching staff believe there are basic flaws in Simm’s game. Costello is steady enough but is there really much benefit in him playing over Simm. I guess the coaching staff know more the answer.
    I hear what you are saying & agree with you about playing Simm there but as this wasn't the case last week I can't see Simm anywhere near the team atm. I think Welsby would get a centre spot before him.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Is Peyroux injured? I get the idea about not changing positions too much but would Naiqama on the wing and Peyroux at centre be such a bad thing?

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Some games the opposition match us and this was one of them.

It was a good tight game, how a game between top sides should be. Not a cake walk that we have seen the last 2 weeks.

There were a few breaks but cas covered well. Both sides made good meters and lasted 80minutes of intensity.

I've no issues with any of the players efforts the arm chair quarterbacks need to chill out and stop trying to axe half the squad because they did not get a try fest.

Give me that intensity in every game and this league would be 100% better.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I would imagine it would be a very big ask to ask Simm to come into the side to play 80 mins of fast intensive rugby under the new rules, the coaching staff will see Costello as a safe pair of hands with less risk. Simm would be better coming off the bench when the opposition have less energy but the problem is we don't carry an extra back on the bench at the moment. I don.t think its a good idea either to have Costello to be one centre and Simm the other because Grace and Naiqama would be starved of possession.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Is Peyroux injured? I get the idea about not changing positions too much but would Naiqama on the wing and Peyroux at centre be such a bad thing?
    If Percy is out for a few weeks and Tommy gets a ban I think we may go with Bentley left centre and then either Costello or Welsby on the wing. Peyroux into the back row if fit.

A lot of people mentioning Simm but I’ve heard good things about Rizzelli who’s a centre I think?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    If Percy is out for a few weeks and Tommy gets a ban I think we may go with Bentley left centre and then either Costello or Welsby on the wing. Peyroux into the back row if fit.

A lot of people mentioning Simm but I’ve heard good things about Rizzelli who’s a centre I think?
    With the extra demands of the game we need to get some game time for our younger members of the squad, we may need to reply on them later.

Dodd seems to be highly thought of I know he's a half back but it's difficult to bring a youngster straight into that spot, maybe a run out on the wing would be good experience, it's how we started with Lomax back at knowsley Road

Learning All The Songs

If we're without Percy and Makinson for 6-8 weeks then I'd be disappointed if we don't give a young player an opportunity, particularly given our next game is Hull KR. Later in the season we'll have two games to play a week so will need options. Shuffling Bentley and Peyroux around into the centres doesnt give us any more than we already know.

Costello will do a job but like others have said if he's not here next year then it seems like wasting an opportunity to develop someone who is.

Good win, v enjoyable game cas defence was excellent ours was even better.

Bit of a worry that our last play kicking game wasn't very effective and make the most of a lot of possession close to their line but to nil a v attacking cas side is a v positive thing as is the fitness levels of our team.

We keep going to the final whistle and this is a credit to the team and the fitness coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    If we're without Percy and Makinson for 6-8 weeks then I'd be disappointed if we don't give a young player an opportunity, particularly given our next game is Hull KR. Later in the season we'll have two games to play a week so will need options. Shuffling Bentley and Peyroux around into the centres doesnt give us any more than we already know.

Costello will do a job but like others have said if he's not here next year then it seems like wasting an opportunity to develop someone who is.
    Its using your full squad at the right time and developing a young player during that 2 games a week period might be that time, Costello will do a job this year than giving an extended 6 to 8 game to a developing player like Simm. We did that with Welsby in 3 different positions and he lost confidence and became a weak link in the team and got criticism for it.

The best we can hope for is Percival is out for no more than 4 weeks and let Costello cover for those next 3 games, if we lose Fages or Lomax then Dodd should be given a chance for a short period.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I really enjoyed the game, thought it was a really good standard with both sets of players giving everything. I thought it resembled a play off/knock out game at times. Felt like the experience in the team showed in the second half, Cas kicked dead for seven plays a few times, I think they kicked out on the full as well. I thought we managed the game a bit better than they did towards the end.

Both teams defended brilliantly and they needed to because there was some good rugby played, it became clear early on in the game that any try scored was going to have to be a good one and that was probably highlighted by Fages' try at the end which was fitting to win any game really. We created a few chances but couldn't quite find the right pass on the edge at times, also thought we lacked a bit of support on the end of some of the breaks that we made but Cas got back and defended well and made it really difficult for us.

I like how we're winning games in different ways. Obviously we've put some big scores on Leeds, Salford, Catalan etc but tight wins like that yesterday will hopefully give the players a lot of confidence going into the cup games and the play off games at the end of the year.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Agree with this, Fages is very good defensively and a good player to have around in the squad but he’s never a scrum half, his kicking game is appalling and decision making near the line isn’t much better. Lees is one of the most overrated players we’ve had in the last few years, he’s aggressive but makes hardly any metres and does little of any benefit. Hopefully he’ll improve in the next few years but if he goes to the NRL then good luck to him, he’ll be back in Super league within two years. Difficult to watch but a very good win nevertheless.
    I agree with all of this, if Lees wants to go to the NRL then let him go, and if we could get a fee for him then even better. Amor had a great 2019 and he has started back really well. Amor is a far better player than Lees and id like Amor to be given a new one year deal.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I like Naiqama but he can be a bit weak with his tackling, to put Peyroux at the side of him would be a big gamble as his tackling can be woeful. Both of them like to go on a wander at times.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I like Naiqama but he can be a bit weak with his tackling, to put Peyroux at the side of him would be a big gamble as his tackling can be woeful. Both of them like to go on a wander at times.
    Naiqama can get caught but he's got enough pace to recover most of the time.

I think it'll be Costello on the wing with Bentley in the other centre

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I agree with all of this, if Lees wants to go to the NRL then let him go, and if we could get a fee for him then even better. Amor had a great 2019 and he has started back really well. Amor is a far better player than Lees and id like Amor to be given a new one year deal.
    Wow you really think Amor is ‘far’ better than Lees. Just wow. And the opinion to let Lees walk. Madness.

Wow you really think Amor is ‘far’ better than Lees. Just wow. And the opinion to let Lees walk. Madness.
    I can understand someone coming to that conclusion, however, on the basis that Amor made more tackles, carries and metres with fewer missed tackles and errors against Cas.

The problem is that people judge Lees as being better because he looks dynamic when in reality its Amor that is more effective and contributes more in quite a few areas. Lees is a little light for a prop doesn't make a lot of tackle busts or metres and is very limited in his offloading game, people like him for his reckless nature and the way he puts his body on the line, he should be running a similar style and effectiveness as LMS but he isn't at the moment.

Noooobie

Amor is well past his sell by date Look What happened to Leeds Keeping hold of players for to long,We need young Forwards Chopping at the bit Who can put a Shift in.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by owl saint View Post
    Amor is well past his sell by date Look What happened to Leeds Keeping hold of players for to long,We need young Forwards Chopping at the bit Who can put a Shift in.
    that may well be the case but he still did more than Lees on Sunday.

Amor is playing well at the moment, not saying we should get rid of lees

Why can't we keep both?

Quote Originally Posted by owl saint View Post
    Amor is playing very well. The situation is quite different to that of Leeds - they had a core of similar-aged players who were their most important contributors and leaders. They all conked out at the same time and the heart of that team was gone.

We're talking here about one player who is a third/fourth choice prop.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't see the excitement about Lees, nothing special, can't understand people bigging him up so much

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The problem is that people judge Lees as being better because he looks dynamic when in reality its Amor that is more effective and contributes more in quite a few areas. Lees is a little light for a prop doesn't make a lot of tackle busts or metres and is very limited in his offloading game, people like him for his reckless nature and the way he puts his body on the line, he should be running a similar style and effectiveness as LMS but he isn't at the moment.
    Lees is still early 20's and still filling out. People see how hard he runs the ball in and is fearless/nuts and realise that with some more bulk and experience, he could well be a top quality prop. I think there's also echoes of Thompson and the hope that we have unearthed another gem.

I hope he'll develop into that sort of class, but I'm under no illusion that he may not.

As for Amor, his form since arriving has been up and down season to season, with him having absolute stinkers some years, but the last 2/3 seasons he's been solid and deserving of his place. He can't go on forever, though.