Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a Glorious Opportunity

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    There is no such thing as competitive scrums in either code - the feeding team doesn't now have to contend with opposition hookers striking, RU scrums are so practiced that when teams are evenly matched they just look pretty (obviously ignoring the contents of the scrum itself)
    If you want contested scrums you need to go back to the 60's and 70's - but they were unholy messes.

I see the argument for scrums, but I haven't missed them as a spectator, and the players do get the same rest period as they are using the shot clock to restart.
    South Africa won the union world cup by destroying Wales then England in the scrum. Just because some teams are trying to play with more mobile forwards doesn't mean the set piece isn't important in union.

With regards to league, Very few attacking opportunities come from the scrum these days. I think getting rid is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    There is no such thing as competitive scrums in either code - the feeding team doesn't now have to contend with opposition hookers striking, RU scrums are so practiced that when teams are evenly matched they just look pretty (obviously ignoring the contents of the scrum itself)
    If you want contested scrums you need to go back to the 60's and 70's - but they were unholy messes.

I see the argument for scrums, but I haven't missed them as a spectator, and the players do get the same rest period as they are using the shot clock to restart.
    I respectfully beg to differ Scrums are very competitive in RU without a solid scrum your really in trouble, look at the world cup final England gave away 12 points from penalties in the scrum

The hooker now has to strike for the ball (previously it was being fed way off centre) so the side getting the put in has 7 men pushing vs 8, that;s why the side with the feed tend to get penalised more and it's also why tight heads along with fly halfs are the best paid players in the game

scrums are key in union in lge far less so, the new rule speeds the game up and seems to suit us let's keep it I say!

Learning All The Songs

Two games into these rule changes is a bit early to be making decisions on scrums.
    It is a better spectacle so far than the last decade, but teams are already playing up to the rules, on another thread we have opinions that the ref changed tack in the second half of our Leeds game, maybe to even up the penalty count consciously or sub consciously.
    There are already calls from Jon Wells to go back to 10 subs and the 18th man to be available for head injuries, Brian Carney suggesting four quarters, player burn out being the stated case. I think this will bring the explosive unfit men to the fore and the big men who have worked hard to build stamina as well as an explosive engine (Alex Walmsley) will be penalised because of this potential change.
    We all know a certain team will have a big man down with a Head Injury every game deliberately failing their test by the independent assessor.
    Hope we leave it at this until season end and do not meddle anymore.

I have always prayed the two codes would merge , with the wing forwards dropped . But then of course it would be league . No scrums is deffo' the way to go .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I have always prayed the two codes would merge , with the wing forwards dropped . But then of course it would be league . No scrums is deffo' the way to go .
    what about line outs? rucks? mauls?

Got A Season Ticket

If you asked the non rugby league “casual” viewers what they thought of the televised games so far with no scrums I bet they would probably tell you they hadn’t realised they were missing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyarchie View Post
    If you asked the non rugby league “casual” viewers what they thought of the televised games so far with no scrums I bet they would probably tell you they hadn’t realised they were missing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife had never enjoyed it up until the restart.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    My wife had never enjoyed it up until the restart.
    What about the rugby?

Banned

I've always wanted the other code to f*** off and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I've always wanted the other code to f*** off and die.
    Very intelligent comment ....not .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    What about the rugby?
    Whoo!

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Very intelligent comment ....not .
    I've put him on my ignore list because of his continual political posturings.....and I'm still seeing his garbage!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I've put him on my ignore list because of his continual political posturings.....and I'm still seeing his garbage!
    Snowflake!