Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 515212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky Commentary/Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Now John Wilkin won’t talk about an issue in the game . Wtf

So John , what is your view on the sending off ? Errrrrrr I think we should discuss that later on ��
    I interpreted it that it was such a big deal he wanted to discuss it properly rather than a sound bite before the ad break. When they came back it was covered pretty well I thought?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

I thought Wilkin did a great job of winding Carney up, he was getting so frustrated with him.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    I thought Wilkin did a great job of winding Carney up, he was getting so frustrated with him.
    Yes, I might be wrong but something gives me the impression they aren’t especially fond of one another.

Starting A Programme Collection

Personally I can’t stand wilkin . He comes across as a pretentious twit

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    How does not wearing a poppy not show respect? I don’t wear an RNLI badge but respect what they do.
    No one is asking you to wear a poppy to respect those who died for us if you don't want to, although it does obviously then make folk wonder why you wouldn't, not that you are required to tell anyone in our free society, naturally. Carney is a public figure and as such you would think he would wish to show respect for those who gave their lives to ensure the freedom he (and you and me) enjoys. He lives and works in the UK where once a year most of us honour those who ensured our freedom (why would you not?). That's not too much to ask is it? You can always wear an RNLI badge if you want to you know! On Gray's previous post re employees of SKY following (or not) corporate decisions as to what signals to send out, it was interesting that none of last nights pundits wore a poppy after previously all but Carney wearing one. Even Jennas had disappeared! Oddly on the Monday Night Football all the pundits were wearing them Maybe SKY has only got so many to go around?

In The South Stand

I thought the commentary team in the Leeds Cas game made very little of the incident where Hurrell took out a Cas player without the ball (not even a penalty from the ref!) or the legs above the horizontal spear tackle that was penalised but no card. It was one of the most one eyed performances of officiating I've seen for a while. Ref gave Leeds almost everything. Shouldn't Hurell also have been sent off (or at least sin binned) for his professional foul causing the award of the penalty try? Surely all this should be looked at by the disciplinary people?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Personally I can’t stand wilkin . He comes across as a pretentious twit
    He does lately seem to be making things sound more complicated doesn't he. I think his ego has grown and its getting in the way.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He does lately seem to be making things sound more complicated doesn't he. I think his ego has grown and its getting in the way.
    Wilkin is a 'Beeb' man looks like he was the last resort last night on sky , seems as though he likes to wind people up on sky , remember when he wound Barry mac up over the aussie import who was captain of Leeds last year , they even through a short break in because it was getting so heated , when after the break they never spoke to each other .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    posted twice for the stutter effect Dark Side.

Did Nisbett`s father rob Pyke`s house! he berated the young fellas mistake from the moment it happened, hope the lad does not watch it back with his commentary it will make him feel a lot worse than he already does.
    haha both Wells and O'Conner made a big point to say not to make a big thing of it, but Pyke just slaughtered him over and over, and then kept on calling him Nesbitt, rather than Nisbitt!
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Wilkin is a 'Beeb' man looks like he was the last resort last night on sky , seems as though he likes to wind people up on sky , remember when he wound Barry mac up over the aussie import who was captain of Leeds last year , they even through a short break in because it was getting so heated , when after the break they never spoke to each other .
    Wilkin is considerably smarter too and winds them up with a smile on his face.

Good to see you back on here Roy.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think this is an opinion that would have majority support. The PL basically went over Sky’s heads and ditched BLM after some black players expressed annoyance over the groups politics in the UK. The anti-racism stuff and the new logo fits the bill more easily and will have support as a non-political awareness campaign. But Sky have kept up with the BLM stuff even when it knows it is controversial and is linked to a group that has political opinions way off the mainstream. It also knows it could promote awareness of racism in many ways that would be non political and well supported but it’s chosen not to. It is now American owned and is seeking to thrust American culture issues on to our screens, hence their unwillingness to move away from BLM when other anti racist messages would actually serve the cause better.

So it’s highly hypocritical to seek 100% compliance with one political cause that does not enjoy widespread support (the BLM UK group I mean, not anti racism) but then give freedom to its presenters about whether they support a cause which has widespread support. Nobody should be forced to wear a poppy in their private lives but Brian Carney (rightly or wrongly) isn’t just a private individual when he presents a tv show. He is a face of the corporation he works for, and if that corporation wishes to show that it wholeheartedly supports the causes behind wearing a poppy he would be told to wear one, because for those two hours when he’s on screen he isn’t Brian Carney the individual but a member of a broadcaster. Hence them telling everyone to wear a BLM badge, hence Carney lambasting Falou because I assume Sky told him to make a big deal of a political issue on a RL show, hence the massive banner on the half way line of all RL games on Sky, hence the BLM logo that appears on all Sky Sports programmes etc. They made a point to support a political cause, and the people that represent them on screen abide by that.

So, at the end of the day if Carney doesn’t want to wear one, fair play to him. But if Sky agree and tell him he doesn’t need to wear one, it tells you everything you need to know about their priorities and what they consider important or not. This isn't about Carney, it's about Sky really. I support Carney having beliefs and not wanting to wear one, if that's even what's happened. But I also think some people probably weren't comfortable being associated with BLM UK the organisation, but they all wore the badge. I’d like sports broadcasters to ignore politics as much as they can, especially when they have news channels and are also linked to other powerful media outlets that can express their political beliefs. But Sky chose not to, they chose to make their sports channels political, and that’s entirely fair because they’re a private company and we can all choose to pay or not. But once you let the genie out, you are then open to be judged politically as well.

As it is, maybe he wears one next week. Maybe the other lads just had them on anyway before they arrived. We don't know yet.
    Absolutely spot on, excellent post
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I thought the commentary team in the Leeds Cas game made very little of the incident where Hurrell took out a Cas player without the ball (not even a penalty from the ref!) or the legs above the horizontal spear tackle that was penalised but no card. It was one of the most one eyed performances of officiating I've seen for a while. Ref gave Leeds almost everything. Shouldn't Hurell also have been sent off (or at least sin binned) for his professional foul causing the award of the penalty try? Surely all this should be looked at by the disciplinary people?
    I thought Ben Proe and O`Connor were good last night for that game no shenanigans or hysterics when a call went against someone, more importantly no personal opinions from Proe, therefore that kept O`Connor in check especially without Barry butting in with a witticism.
    Previously I thought Wells would have been a good commentator but he is analyzing and summarizing as per his usual role.
    Credit were it is due they could be the best for the job permanently.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think this is an opinion that would have majority support. The PL basically went over Sky’s heads and ditched BLM after some black players expressed annoyance over the groups politics in the UK. The anti-racism stuff and the new logo fits the bill more easily and will have support as a non-political awareness campaign. But Sky have kept up with the BLM stuff even when it knows it is controversial and is linked to a group that has political opinions way off the mainstream. It also knows it could promote awareness of racism in many ways that would be non political and well supported but it’s chosen not to. It is now American owned and is seeking to thrust American culture issues on to our screens, hence their unwillingness to move away from BLM when other anti racist messages would actually serve the cause better.

So it’s highly hypocritical to seek 100% compliance with one political cause that does not enjoy widespread support (the BLM UK group I mean, not anti racism) but then give freedom to its presenters about whether they support a cause which has widespread support. Nobody should be forced to wear a poppy in their private lives but Brian Carney (rightly or wrongly) isn’t just a private individual when he presents a tv show. He is a face of the corporation he works for, and if that corporation wishes to show that it wholeheartedly supports the causes behind wearing a poppy he would be told to wear one, because for those two hours when he’s on screen he isn’t Brian Carney the individual but a member of a broadcaster. Hence them telling everyone to wear a BLM badge, hence Carney lambasting Falou because I assume Sky told him to make a big deal of a political issue on a RL show, hence the massive banner on the half way line of all RL games on Sky, hence the BLM logo that appears on all Sky Sports programmes etc. They made a point to support a political cause, and the people that represent them on screen abide by that.

So, at the end of the day if Carney doesn’t want to wear one, fair play to him. But if Sky agree and tell him he doesn’t need to wear one, it tells you everything you need to know about their priorities and what they consider important or not. This isn't about Carney, it's about Sky really. I support Carney having beliefs and not wanting to wear one, if that's even what's happened. But I also think some people probably weren't comfortable being associated with BLM UK the organisation, but they all wore the badge. I’d like sports broadcasters to ignore politics as much as they can, especially when they have news channels and are also linked to other powerful media outlets that can express their political beliefs. But Sky chose not to, they chose to make their sports channels political, and that’s entirely fair because they’re a private company and we can all choose to pay or not. But once you let the genie out, you are then open to be judged politically as well.

As it is, maybe he wears one next week. Maybe the other lads just had them on anyway before they arrived. We don't know yet.
    That's what I was trying to get across, just less coherently! Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Absolutely spot on, excellent post
    Agreed, out of interest I believe BLM has now registered itself as a political party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

During the game i thought i heard Stuart Pyke say to O’Conner “you would’ve seen some of these Young Saints lads playing, with your son Sharon playing the game”. I didn’t have the best of pictures on the OurLeague App as it kept ruddy pixelating.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    During the game i thought i heard Stuart Pyke say to O’Conner “you would’ve seen some of these Young Saints lads playing, with your son Sharon playing the game”. I didn’t have the best of pictures on the OurLeague App as it kept ruddy pixelating.
    I'm not watching the game and finding it but I don't think he said Sharon. He probably mean Callum or Aaron or Clive the way he talks with his mouth full of Maltesers.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

His son is Jarrod.

...Have I just mucked up a joke there?
    I'll get my coat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    His son is Jarrod.

...Have I just mucked up a joke there?
    I'll get my coat.
    That's it. I was just being mean to Pyke.

I was just thinking, I started this thread actually praising Sky and now we're 25 pages deep hammering them.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That's it. I was just being mean to Pyke.

I was just thinking, I started this thread actually praising Sky and now we're 25 pages deep hammering them.
    Ah do f''k off ya egotist
    Your tipping is also back in the vauxhall conference!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Ah do f''k off ya egotist
    Your tipping is also back in the vauxhall conference!!
    Correct.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Without doubt he should have gone but maybe his playing for leeds and his smile got him out of trouble.

Lol just watched it again and during the game he just shouted out really loud Shaun Long! As like he was playing and had made a break through the line !
    Then said he has joined Leeds as assistant coach lol
    Last edited by Ferester123; 27th October 2020 at 22:54. Reason: Meant for Wee WAA

New commentator on tonight - I’d say he’s doing a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    New commentator on tonight - I’d say he’s doing a decent job.
    He is yes nice change! We will probably get Pyke tomorrow lol

Learning All The Songs

Phil Clarke again, shoulder charge to the Head on the kicker, nothing wrong with it apparently