Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1323293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sky Commentary/Presentation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I will add that in the modern climate the primary rights holders aren’t the be all and end all when it come to coverage in most sports. You can follow the PL without Sky to some extent (MOTD, BT have games, Amazon have games etc), you can follow test cricket in the summer without Sky as there are highlights every evening on BBC2 and the BBC website has clips of the main action all day, and you can follow club RU without having BT Sports because C5 have some live games and have a nationally televised weekly highlights show. The thing these days is to give secondary rights holders enough to make sure that those that don’t want or can’t afford to pay for the primary rights holders content can still follow the leagues.

In RL we really fail in that regard. People up here have to wait until nearly midnight on Monday to get the Super League Show, which is scheduled closer to the start of the next round of games than the start of the one it’s showing highlights of. What worth are highlights of a big Thursday night game 4 days later? And those outside the NW have to wait until Tuesday afternoon to see it. That is absurd in this day and age. The amount of money a secondary rights holder would have to pay to show a handful of live SL games and have a national highlights show at a decent time every weekend wouldn’t be massive, but Sky are preventing any of it happening. BT have always been more open to doing this, allowing the RU Prem to have good free coverage, sticking the CL Final on YouTube for free when they didn’t have to, etc. Super League clubs could have asked for the same thing and allowed more people access to our sport.
    Great points.

It may be that Sky would want us to sacrifice a little bit of revenue to be able to dictate some terms of broadcast (a nationwide free-to-air highlights package, a say on the match presentation). But you're right that the current arrangement is bloody woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If we’re pulling in less than 400,000 for a Friday night Grand Final between the two biggest rivals in our sport in a lockdown with no fans able to go to the game are we realising our potential? What would it have been if people were off doing other stuff as normal and 60,000 were at OT? 250,000? Hardly a ringing endorsement eh.
    I'm sure we used to get much higher viewing figures than now. There's some factors that can't be controlled (like the emergence of a certain streaming service), but it's my long-held opinion (and I know many share this view) that the game itself an entertainment spectacle of deteriorated hugely for the casual viewer, which brings us to...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Just a little bit of perspective as to the game through the eyes of others, one of the suppliers I use has a chap of similar vintage to myself who asked where I was from many years ago. He regularly mentions the games to me knew who Meninga was and how he thought our game was fantastic, most of last week he was mentioning a final that is a derby, we must win etc, a few others were jeering and general banter. On Monday to a man they all thought the game was a borefest and most switched over before half time, the one that didn`t fell asleep. I think we have the best sport, many disagree.
    The last 2 minutes had immense drama and the sort of twist at the end that a Hollywood script writer would be embarrassed to write for being too cheesy, but the game itself was what could be euphemistically described as 'one for the purists'. Yes, it was brutal, and as hated local rivals both sets of fans would have appreciated this element, and the closeness had me with adrenaline flying round my veins for 80 mins.

But as an entertainment spectacle for the casual viewer, it was lacking in the kind of thing that attracts casual and neutral viewers: plenty of clean breaks, flowing passing moves, a dominance of attack over defence.

And the blame for that can be laid at the door of those who decide the rules, which ultimately is the clubs themselves. We have a product lacking excitement and entertainment value, because the RFL/SL wanted it to be less exciting and entertaining and abandoned the rules that outlawed slowing the PTB and relaxed the enforcement of the 10m offside. I find the game much more boring than it used to be and only my attachment to Saints keeps me watching. I've been watching (and mainly loving) the sport since 1984, and if I'm feeling like this, then you can bet many less committed people have abandoned it as too boring over the past 10+ years.

Starting A Programme Collection

Bill Arthur screaming no try,off side,foot on the line. Couldn’t stop screaming. It’s about time they sorted piesport commentary out. So so biased bet most of them were so disappointed. Don’t need such biased commentary..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Great points.

It may be that Sky would want us to sacrifice a little bit of revenue to be able to dictate some terms of broadcast (a nationwide free-to-air highlights package, a say on the match presentation). But you're right that the current arrangement is bloody woeful.

I'm sure we used to get much higher viewing figures than now. There's some factors that can't be controlled (like the emergence of a certain streaming service), but it's my long-held opinion (and I know many share this view) that the game itself an entertainment spectacle of deteriorated hugely for the casual viewer, which brings us to...

The last 2 minutes had immense drama and the sort of twist at the end that a Hollywood script writer would be embarrassed to write for being too cheesy, but the game itself was what could be euphemistically described as 'one for the purists'. Yes, it was brutal, and as hated local rivals both sets of fans would have appreciated this element, and the closeness had me with adrenaline flying round my veins for 80 mins.

But as an entertainment spectacle for the casual viewer, it was lacking in the kind of thing that attracts casual and neutral viewers: plenty of clean breaks, flowing passing moves, a dominance of attack over defence.

And the blame for that can be laid at the door of those who decide the rules, which ultimately is the clubs themselves. We have a product lacking excitement and entertainment value, because the RFL/SL wanted it to be less exciting and entertaining and abandoned the rules that outlawed slowing the PTB and relaxed the enforcement of the 10m offside. I find the game much more boring than it used to be and only my attachment to Saints keeps me watching. I've been watching (and mainly loving) the sport since 1984, and if I'm feeling like this, then you can bet many less committed people have abandoned it as too boring over the past 10+ years.
    Many of my rugby (union) teammates are also league fans or at least will watch it, the majority of them had switched off by the time the real excitement happened. At least they knew it was on though, working down in London at the moment talking to the locals about what had happened over the weekend none of them had a clue it was even on.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

I have said it before and this is a strong emotive word but with the exception of Terry O Connor and perhaps Wells they hate us. The Wigan bias is frankly disgusting and from the minute you switched on it hit you like a brick. The Irish buffoon immediately fornicated over RL Royalty Jason ELOCUTION Robinson, what a pair of phoneys.

Then Danny McGuire, OK if I was Danny and knew a Saints win equalled Leeds 8 I wouldn't be supporting Saints either if I was a Leeds man. Then to top it off we have Phillip Clarke who must be related to Purple Brian, he gets more creepy every time you see him, yes he was under orders to throw Saints forward.

Then "Jes what do we do about Saints" Jon Wilkin give him two minutes, and yes they hate him as well, don't be kidded.

Then the commentator the Lenny Peters of broadcasting a complete fool of a man and the twin of Angela Powers just a shambles and a disgrace to the game. Sat alongside Baz and Tez, both ex Wigan players with Baz playing his Leeds card equally as badly.

Do you know what with that clip of the Swiss Family Farrell I was so glad that they hated us so much. Karma to a grubby club and broadcaster. Never write off the Saints.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I have said it before and this is a strong emotive word but with the exception of Terry O Connor and perhaps Wells they hate us. The Wigan bias is frankly disgusting and from the minute you switched on it hit you like a brick. The Irish buffoon immediately fornicated over RL Royalty Jason ELOCUTION Robinson, what a pair of phoneys.

Then Danny McGuire, OK if I was Danny and knew a Saints win equalled Leeds 8 I wouldn't be supporting Saints either if I was a Leeds man. Then to top it off we have Phillip Clarke who must be related to Purple Brian, he gets more creepy every time you see him, yes he was under orders to throw Saints forward.

Then "Jes what do we do about Saints" Jon Wilkin give him two minutes, and yes they hate him as well, don't be kidded.

Then the commentator the Lenny Peters of broadcasting a complete fool of a man and the twin of Angela Powers just a shambles and a disgrace to the game. Sat alongside Baz and Tez, both ex Wigan players with Baz playing his Leeds card equally as badly.

Do you know what with that clip of the Swiss Family Farrell I was so glad that they hated us so much. Karma to a grubby club and broadcaster. Never write off the Saints.
    Message for Pie Sports:

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Did any one see Tony Bellew posting about the game? Seems to have fell in love with it and now supports Saints .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Did any one see Tony Bellew posting about the game? Seems to have fell in love with it and now supports Saints .
    Yes - I saw that, good publicity for club and sport IMO. Was very complimentary about the sport in general which in a time when our media profile is lower than ever was sorely needed. Hopefully he'll get big Al a gig on Creed III !

I can only feel sorry for you and your sensitivity if you genuinely believe all of this.

From my viewpoint, albeit as someone not from this region and brought up with rugby union, I have never noticed any particularly bigoted stances from any of the Sky team although I acknowledge that each individual will have some leanings because of their history. However, in view of the constant slagging of the Sky output by some people on here, I asked my wife to watch the Grand Final broadcast as she did not see it live and to point out any perceived Wigan bias. Although she is from St Helens and has supported/watched the team since the late fifties, thus despising the pie-eaters, could not find any instances of bias in their favour. She did however comment that the commentary was poor and that the supposed analysts were superficial compared to their equivalents in, for example, cricket or American Football.

As an aside, I find it interesting that there have been several comments over time on Cherry & White claiming that Carney hates Wigan while I have also seen criticism over the slant that Wilkin often gives. Perhaps rugby league has more than its fair share of sensitive souls.

Banned

I thank you for your sympathy and yes I believe every comment. You obviously don't take much notice of the game if you need your wife to guide you on the finer points.

Still all to his own and your opinion is of value and it's all about opinions.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Many of my rugby (union) teammates are also league fans or at least will watch it, the majority of them had switched off by the time the real excitement happened. At least they knew it was on though, working down in London at the moment talking to the locals about what had happened over the weekend none of them had a clue it was even on.
    Hope that Super League take the opportunity the Grand Final's amazing finish presents. Here in NZ the main news sports section highlighted the last second try- they do not always even mention Super League Grand Final. At this time of year all over the world Sports media will be looking for things to fill their " Top 10 moments of the Year" type stories - Super League should be pushing to be noticed.

I thank you for your sympathy and yes I believe every comment. You obviously don't take much notice of the game if you need your wife to guide you on the finer points.

Still all to his own and your opinion is of value and it's all about opinions.
    The problem is probably that I took full notice of the game and let the second rate verbiage pass over me.

Banned

Well done to you, and it's good to see you know it's second rate. Still as one pop song goes "things can only get better" if you cut the number of them and got a decent commentator it may balance things out.

Well done to you, and it's good to see you know it's second rate. Still as one pop song goes "things can only get better" if you cut the number of them and got a decent commentator it may balance things out.
    Second rate, yes, but no evidence of bias.

Starting A Programme Collection

I don't think Barry Mac hates the saints, he is usually full of praise for us in fairness

I liked Briers when he was on there , spoke well and made sense

Long was the stand out pundit on there by a mile reads the game really well and gives brilliant technical insight

In The South Stand

Sky desperately need a retired half on there to do the analysis side of things because what we get normally is woeful in comparison to when we’ve had the likes of Long, Briers etc on this year. Wells is just a rent-a-clichè.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Bellew and Lee westwood.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bellew and Lee westwood.
    Westwood is a long term fan I think. Hopefully we can get Bellew down for a few games and get him involved similar to what Everton have done in the past. You can understand why a boxer would be impressed with that game though.

Learning All The Songs

Think they all do a decent job, I certainly don`t believe there is an anti Saints theme but I don`t think there is with the refs either.
    The guests all added something different which was a good change but how long before they become tedious to some ?
    Their clothes, attachments to clubs or previous clubs would all come into question by some.
    The replays should be in a box to one side during play as some have alluded to, the replay while in play is ridiculous (still did not get to see Smith`s run from dummy half nearly scoring before they switched to show him ptb.)
    JJB and Jon Wilkin are obvious upgrades on any of the other present analysts, but Wells and Carney do a good job in my view.
    A good commentator is a must, Ben Proe was very good with O`Connor when Baz was missing but they are thin on the ground at the moment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Think they all do a decent job, I certainly don`t believe there is an anti Saints theme but I don`t think there is with the refs either.
    The guests all added something different which was a good change but how long before they become tedious to some ?
    Their clothes, attachments to clubs or previous clubs would all come into question by some.
    The replays should be in a box to one side during play as some have alluded to, the replay while in play is ridiculous (still did not get to see Smith`s run from dummy half nearly scoring before they switched to show him ptb.)
    JJB and Jon Wilkin are obvious upgrades on any of the other present analysts, but Wells and Carney do a good job in my view.
    A good commentator is a must, Ben Proe was very good with O`Connor when Baz was missing but they are thin on the ground at the moment.
    To be fair both Clark and Carney usually dress like a charity shop explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Westwood is a long term fan I think. Hopefully we can get Bellew down for a few games and get him involved similar to what Everton have done in the past. You can understand why a boxer would be impressed with that game though.
    The problem is that Bellew has seen an epic tussle in a final between Saints & Wigan. What's he going to think of a home 22-10 win against Wakey on a cold, wet Friday night in March?

The quality comes when the better sides up it towards the end.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    The problem is that Bellew has seen an epic tussle in a final between Saints & Wigan. What's he going to think of a home 22-10 win against Wakey on a cold, wet Friday night in March?

We just need to make sure he never has an empty glass.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

He regularly watches Everton, disappointing shite is his bread and butter.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bellew and Lee westwood.
    Hmm, but Westwood tweeted his support of Wigan half way through the game.

Default Sky Commentary/Presentation

Didn’t want to start a new thread for this so using this one.

Anyone listen to the Matty John’s podcasts? Brian Carney is on this weeks as him and Johns are great mates from both their Wigan and Newcastle Knights playing days.

Anyway Carney tells a funny story which I’ve heard before but told by Matty Johns. What strikes me throughout is that Carney seems a really good laugh and a funny bloke. I’ve heard he’s a decent bloke and this podcast certainly puts him in a good light. The type of bloke you’d happily have a beer with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Didn’t want to start a new thread for this so using this one.

Anyone listen to the Matty John’s podcasts? Brian Carney is on this weeks as him and Johns are great mates from both their Wigan and Newcastle Knights playing days.

Anyway Carney tells a funny story which I’ve heard before but told by Matty Johns. What strikes me throughout is that Carney seems a really good laugh and a funny bloke. I’ve heard he’s a decent bloke and this podcast certainly puts him in a good light. The type of bloke you’d happily have a beer with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve always thought Carney an able presenter who’d excel with a different team around him and an overhaul of the presentation style. He’ll give an opinion and at the same time invite the views of others in a way that does’nt resort to puerile hyperbole. If the sport gave SKY the boot which most modern and sane minded followers think it should, I’d like to see Carney continue his involvement with the sport in his broadcasting capacity.