Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14243031323334

Thread: Sky Commentary/Presentation

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I can only feel sorry for you and your sensitivity if you genuinely believe all of this.

From my viewpoint, albeit as someone not from this region and brought up with rugby union, I have never noticed any particularly bigoted stances from any of the Sky team although I acknowledge that each individual will have some leanings because of their history. However, in view of the constant slagging of the Sky output by some people on here, I asked my wife to watch the Grand Final broadcast as she did not see it live and to point out any perceived Wigan bias. Although she is from St Helens and has supported/watched the team since the late fifties, thus despising the pie-eaters, could not find any instances of bias in their favour. She did however comment that the commentary was poor and that the supposed analysts were superficial compared to their equivalents in, for example, cricket or American Football.

As an aside, I find it interesting that there have been several comments over time on Cherry & White claiming that Carney hates Wigan while I have also seen criticism over the slant that Wilkin often gives. Perhaps rugby league has more than its fair share of sensitive souls.
    I agree with cyprus-cue bite.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I’ve always thought Carney an able presenter who’d excel with a different team around him and an overhaul of the presentation style. He’ll give an opinion and at the same time invite the views of others in a way that does’nt resort to puerile hyperbole. If the sport gave SKY the boot which most modern and sane minded followers think it should, I’d like to see Carney continue his involvement with the sport in his broadcasting capacity.
    I have criticised Carney several times, and I think that some of his newspaper columns come across as arrogant. He never gives his opinion as an opinion, always as fact. But, it Sky did overhaul their presentation team he is the only one I would keep. The only problem I have with him as a presenter is the way he can persist with a single foul, which may not have been that bad anyway. However when it comes to putting two sentences together or carrying out an interview, he is way better than the rest.

Got A Season Ticket

Just catching up on a couple of the weekends games and this is something that has been doing my head in for weeks now.

Must they constantly keep referring to Bateman as 'Big Bad John Bateman' and Connor as 'Jake the Snake' every time they get the ball. Sounds ridiculous and it's wearing really thin now. Change the feckin record.

Learning All The Songs

Bill Arthur must be the worst TV commentator .Makes so many mistakes

Got A Season Ticket

Barrie McDermott isn't great but he is still better than Bill Arthur, that is embarrassing when you consider that one is a professional commentator and one is a former prop

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    Just catching up on a couple of the weekends games and this is something that has been doing my head in for weeks now.

Must they constantly keep referring to Bateman as 'Big Bad John Bateman' and Connor as 'Jake the Snake' every time they get the ball. Sounds ridiculous and it's wearing really thin now. Change the feckin record.
    It’s very much out of the fox sport NRL coverage such as Tommy Turbo & The Fox on the wing. All cheesy Aussie garbage but we seem to like following our Australian friends where ever they fancy going.
    I agree, just call them by their names and have done with it.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I was at a barbecue when the Castleford v Hull game was on tv.My mate had access to Fox Football and more USA an American sports channel that was shareing the sky coverage.
    It made me think what the American audience thought of the coverage because it was awful.The thing that stood out to me was the shed thing that they review the half time and full time of the game from.It looked so cheap and ametureish.I was looking at this from a view that I was watching it from somewhere else in the world.Also the pundits looked so scruffy.If American or any other nationallty was watching the coverage and they also watch the NRL coverage they would think Super League was ameture sport.Sky need to upgrade the coverage in every department their coverage is harming our game.
    Last edited by saint mac; 6th September 2021 at 10:28.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post

At least they called him Bateman.
    Bill Arthur called him James Bentley in the Wigan-Wire game!

Learning All The Songs

My real problem with Sky is the endless replays that they run while the ball is still in play. not to mention the long lingering shots of the coaches. Surely these could all be done as inset pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    At least they called him Bateman.
    Bill Arthur called him James Bentley in the Wigan-Wire game!
    That’s the LEAST of Arthur’s indiscretions

My favourite was “Wakefield’s victory earlier in the day over Wakefield………”
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

At the start of our match he said we were having 13 minutes applause For tackle racism. No wonder the game went on for so long.

‘The Russian Tsar Alexander the Great …’

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dux View Post
    ‘the russian tsar alexander the great …’

In The South Stand

I’ve no problems with people having an opinion that Saints won’t win a game, that’s fine. What I do have an issue with is when people spout their opinions without anything to back it up and that’s certainly what Wells did. “Saints are on a wobble” he claimed. That the Saints, Jon, who;

- Had lost once since June prior to last week.
    - Come into the game having beaten Wigan, Warrington and Catalans in our previous five games.
    - Had scored 96 in our previous three games.
    - Had conceded 14, 12 and 2 prior to Catalans at Magic.

If that’s a wobble, I’d hate to see what he thought of us under Cunningham or Simmons.

I get that Sky have to make games seem more attractive and last nights game looked a bit of a forgone conclusion prior to it starting but rather than talk up Leeds for their strengths, it just come across as Wells playing the Phil Clarke role of being contradictory in an attempt to be controversial and nothing more.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’ve no problems with people having an opinion that Saints won’t win a game, that’s fine. What I do have an issue with is when people spout their opinions without anything to back it up and that’s certainly what Wells did. “Saints are on a wobble” he claimed. That the Saints, Jon, who;

- Come into the game having beaten Wigan, Warrington and Catalans in our previous five games.

If that’s a wobble, I’d hate to see what he thought of us under Cunningham or Simmons.

I get that Sky have to make games seem more attractive and last nights game looked a bit of a forgone conclusion prior to it starting but rather than talk up Leeds for their strengths, it just come across as Wells playing the Phil Clarke role of being contradictory in an attempt to be controversial and nothing more.

I wonder who writes the report for the Sky website, and if they speak to the pitchside reporters? On TV we didn’t play well, but in print we hammered Leeds.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post

What’s happened to Clarke? He sounds more and more like a Saints’ supporter. I keep agreeing with him!

Learning All The Songs

Sky can't even spell Superleague! Half time break in KR v Cas game - apparently it’s Supeague now! Pathetic and amateurish!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    What’s happened to Clarke? He sounds more and more like a Saints’ supporter. I keep agreeing with him!
    We’ve had 3 Saints game in a row that have been excellent to watch in amongst some bloody awful games on Sky recently. Clarkey’s point at half time about wanting to see Saints score another 5 tries because that brand of rugby is what inspires people to watch and get involved with our sport was very valid.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Perhaps his brother is now the agent to the majority of players

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    We’ve had 3 Saints game in a row that have been excellent to watch in amongst some bloody awful games on Sky recently. Clarkey’s point at half time about wanting to see Saints score another 5 tries because that brand of rugby is what inspires people to watch and get involved with our sport was very valid.
    Personally I've never quite understood the stick Clarke gets on here. Of course he says some daft things from time to time, but (part of) his job is to create talking points, and I've never really detected any anti-Saints bias. On the contrary, he seems to me like a guy who just loves fast open RL, and when we played that way he said so. Of course when we dipped (which we did for a long time) we didn't take kindly to our failings being pointed out by a Pie, but now we're looking the part again he's giving us the credit we're due. (Along with any other team, like HKR, that plays the game the way he (and most of us) likes it)

Ps. I had more or less given up watching games not involving Saints but I caught tonight's HKR v Cas game, and it reminded me why I fell in love with RL.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    Personally I've never quite understood the stick Clarke gets on here. Of course he says some daft things from time to time, but (part of) his job is to create talking points, and I've never really detected any anti-Saints bias. On the contrary, he seems to me like a guy who just loves fast open RL, and when we played that way he said so. Of course when we dipped (which we did for a long time) we didn't take kindly to our failings being pointed out by a Pie, but now we're looking the part again he's giving us the credit we're due. (Along with any other team, like HKR, that plays the game the way he (and most of us) likes it)

Ps. I had more or less given up watching games not involving Saints but I caught tonight's HKR v Cas game, and it reminded me why I fell in love with RL.

Noooobie

Try again .no pun .I get ur point but years ago couldn’t help himself by shouting yeeees as the pies scored.

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post

I don't think it was an anti Saints bias, but more of his pro Wigan bias.