Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sky Commentary/Presentation

Default Sky Commentary/Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I thought SKY and the RFL did a good job of making it feel as much like a grand occasion as possible. It was everything a GF should be minus the speccies.
    Agreed. A lot of criticism gets directed at Sky on here (often justifiably so) but I thought the whole presentation was excellent last night. They managed to make an empty KC Stadium on a Friday night look and feel like a fitting GF setting.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    What scares me the most is Phil Clarke being the only one to pick Saints and by 4 points!!!! A man who has stolen a living from spouting utter nonsense has a moment of genius. Maybe he was hit by lightning on the way to the game. Or maybe Walmsley just tilted the field.
    If Clarke comes out with enough cr*p he's got to get it right sometime!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Agreed. A lot of criticism gets directed at Sky on here (often justifiably so) but I thought the whole presentation was excellent last night. They managed to make an empty KC Stadium on a Friday night look and feel like a fitting GF setting.
    I thought the addition of Robinson was unnecessary but I thought the presentation was decent throughout.

Banned

I think Gray its two different angles here. The presentation in terms of camera work, how the stadium looked and all the wrapping was really good. However the media bias on that platform was bordering on the insane. Clarke was told to go with Saints, he hates us with an absolute passion, he controlled it in the early years when he needed the gig but now its pretty undiluted. Carney is a phoney and Robinson was perfect company for him. Wilkin was a token gun for hire, in case, God forbid, we won.

Then the commentary team. Bill Arthur is visually impaired, Barrie Mc is thick, and Terry O Connor is well "there". The Wigan linkage and old boys club is insane. If they had top notch ability then fine, but they are awful. I am so proud of our team, we really had so much against us last night and came through for Jammer.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think Gray its two different angles here. The presentation in terms of camera work, how the stadium looked and all the wrapping was really good. However the media bias on that platform was bordering on the insane. Clarke was told to go with Saints, he hates us with an absolute passion, he controlled it in the early years when he needed the gig but now its pretty undiluted. Carney is a phoney and Robinson was perfect company for him. Wilkin was a token gun for hire, in case, God forbid, we won.

Then the commentary team. Bill Arthur is visually impaired, Barrie Mc is thick, and Terry O Connor is well "there". The Wigan linkage and old boys club is insane. If they had top notch ability then fine, but they are awful. I am so proud of our team, we really had so much against us last night and came through for Jammer.
    That’s true, can’t argue with that. I watched the game with the missus and she kept asking me what so and so had just said and I confessed several times that I wasn’t listening because I was too busy looking at the game and trying to guess what would happen next, so maybe I’m being overly kind on a commentary team I basically blanked out!

I must say though that I thought it was good to keep the pre match traditions of Jerusalem and the trophy being brought out, it negated the weird surroundings to some degree and the game was compelling enough that it didn’t bother me as much as usual there being no crowd. Clarke (as you say) went for Saints just to appear balanced and to make sure he either ended up happy or correct regardless. Robinson was a waste, I hate that he gets rolled out as some legend after bailing out for the gin and tonic set at the first opportunity. Luke Robinson and Lee Briers have both been good in recent weeks on Sky and the BBC and would have been better, and leaving Wilkin on the touchline when he could have provided decent studio analysis was baffling.

BTW, never a good idea to let an old mate interview the winning team after the game. They lose all sense of where they are and just start chatting away like they’re chatting to a mate. We broke the record for post match f bombs I reckon, even without LMS getting one in.

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

Bill saying Fages was looking to join Naverette and Escare in being French winners of a GF.
    Thought he'd already won one, Bill.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    That’s true, can’t argue with that. I watched the game with the missus and she kept asking me what so and so had just said and I confessed several times that I wasn’t listening because I was too busy looking at the game and trying to guess what would happen next, so maybe I’m being overly kind on a commentary team I basically blanked out!

I must say though that I thought it was good to keep the pre match traditions of Jerusalem and the trophy being brought out, it negated the weird surroundings to some degree and the game was compelling enough that it didn’t bother me as much as usual there being no crowd. Clarke (as you say) went for Saints just to appear balanced and to make sure he either ended up happy or correct regardless. Robinson was a waste, I hate that he gets rolled out as some legend after bailing out for the gin and tonic set at the first opportunity. Luke Robinson and Lee Briers have both been good in recent weeks on Sky and the BBC and would have been better, and leaving Wilkin on the touchline when he could have provided decent studio analysis was baffling.

BTW, never a good idea to let an old mate interview the winning team after the game. They lose all sense of where they are and just start chatting away like they’re chatting to a mate. We broke the record for post match f bombs I reckon, even without LMS getting one in.
    Don't know if we will see Robinson once this BLM tribute finishes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    We win the final and Carney goes “we will wrap up with Wigan, Lam and O’Loughlin”, •••• off you stupid ••••!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Don't know if we will see Robinson once this BLM tribute finishes.
    It could be worse, they could have that plum Offiah.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I always think Kevin Brown is one of the best.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I always think Kevin Brown is one of the best.
    I really liked Lee Briers’ pre-game analysis of what Catalans’ game plan needed to be against us in the semi final. He kept it understandable. I then watched the game and enjoyed the fact that whatever game plan Catalans had, I think it was just about intimidation rather than the clever last kicks Briers anticipated, we didn’t allow them to execute it.

If Sky continue to have the likes of Long, Briers, Luke Robinson, Kevin Brown and Jon Wilkinson as guest pundits, I think they will have improved the format. I am getting tired though of shouting the correct players’ names at the TV when one or other of the commentary team get them wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I really liked Lee Briers’ pre-game analysis of what Catalans’ game plan needed to be against us in the semi final. He kept it understandable. I then watched the game and enjoyed the fact that whatever game plan Catalans had, I think it was just about intimidation rather than the clever last kicks Briers anticipated, we didn’t allow them to execute it.

If Sky continue to have the likes of Long, Briers, Luke Robinson, Kevin Brown and Jon Wilkinson as guest pundits, I think they will have improved the format. I am getting tired though of shouting the correct players’ names at the TV when one or other of the commentary team get them wrong.
    I liked Bries too, in fact most of the guests they've had have been good. If I remember correctly Jon Wells was trying to make Briers look stupid but he wasn't having any of it.

It was Barry last night that was annoying me, he always pops up with some utter nonsense that's normally nothing to do with what's going on at the time. I can't remember exactly what he said last night but remember instantly thinking to myself "What the •••• is he on about?" That just shouldn't happen.

Got A Replica Shirt

I agree that Briers was excellent when he was on, however, before we get carried away can I just point out that many years ago I frequented a classy Warrington bar and whilst on a trip to the gentleman's toilets, I was greeted with the sight of Lee Briers sat on the toilet, looking at his phone and having a s**t with the cubicle door wide open. To this day, the incident stands as my own personal "Nam", a hell from which, I never fully returned....... Excellent punditry though!!! COYS

It will be interesting to know what deal Sky Sports and Elston come to? It's reported to be close being finalized, but lower than the current £40mper year deal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post
    Bill saying Fages was looking to join Naverette and Escare in being French winners of a GF.
    Thought he'd already won one, Bill.
    Bill Arthur makes too many gaffs, on our last second try Bill initially mentioned that Welsby's foot was right near the dead ball line. Baz had to tell him Welsby's foot was up in the air because the foot he referred to belonged to Bevan French.

Error

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I

Those have all been a refreshing change.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Error
    To be honset I thought it was desperate wishful thinking from PieSKY Belgian!

Banned

Get Tanya Arnold on SKY and give her the commentators job. No messing from Tanya. Get rid of Carney and bring in Rodger Johnson from the BBC. put some money behind it for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    To be honset I thought it was desperate wishful thinking from PieSKY Belgian!

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Bill Arthur makes too many gaffs, on our last second try Bill initially mentioned that Welsby's foot was right near the dead ball line. Baz had to tell him Welsby's foot was up in the air because the foot he referred to belonged to Bevan French.
    Initially they both thought it was Welsby's foot. In fact, the fact that it had a red and white sock attached to it didn't even dawn on me that it was French's foot. It was only when the showed a reverse angle that either of them commented on Welsby's foot being in the air.

Watching from NZ, the SKY commentary was really good and I think will have come across well for the majority of those watching in the UK and abroad. It will have done teh game no harm at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Get Tanya Arnold on SKY and give her the commentators job. No messing from Tanya. Get rid of Carney and bring in Rodger Johnson from the BBC. put some money behind it for three years.
    You can keep Brian Blessed voice, get in that lass off the snooker.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Watched the highlights of the game last night on bbc.

The commentary was miles bette than Sky. No obvious signs of bias. Just an appreciation of the game and what was unfolding before them.

Learning All The Songs

Was the BBC commentary "live" or added on afterwards like it is on the Super League Show?

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Was the BBC commentary "live" or added on afterwards like it is on the Super League Show?
    They were proper live.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    They was proper live.

Couldnt fault it.