Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulldogs chase British stars and Pangai

Noooobie

Default Bulldogs chase British stars and Pangai

Canterbury could be ready to make a play for the two latest British footballers ready to test themselves in the NRL, while they also closely monitor the contract situation around Brisbane powerhouse Tevita Pangai Jr.
    St Helens and Great Britain prop Alex Walmsley and Wigan centre Oliver Gildart both want to play down under, despite the pair both remaining contracted to their current clubs.

Walmsley, who has a deal with Saints until the end of 2022, and Bulldogs enforcer Luke Thompson were the front-rowers which helped St Helens claim last year’s Super League grand final.

Canterbury spoke with 115kg, 196cm Walmsley last year but a deal couldn’t be reached, instead the club returned home with Thompson’s signature.

The Bulldogs would have money to spend should they elect against re-signing off-contract warhorse Aiden Tolman, while backrower Adam Elliott is also yet to re-signed.

Gildart, 23, is rated among the finest centres in Super League.

He has won two Super League grand finals and a World Club Challenge while also representing England and Great Britain.

Gildart, who has signed with leading Australian agent, Sam Ayoub, is under contract at Wigan until the end of next year but sources claim he has a get-out clause should he secure the NRL deal sources say he craves.

There is mutual respect between Gildart and Canterbury, who have a long and rich history when it comes to English players.

Some of the finest Poms to play at Belmore include Jonathan Davies, Brian Lockwood, Doug Laughton, Mick Adams, James Graham and Thompson.

There is no suggestion Walmsley and Gildart will definitely sign with Canterbury but there is interest from both parties.

Walmsley said recently: “The NRL is certainly something I’ve thought about and it’s something I’m open to but what I can say is, if I don’t do it now, I won’t ever do it.”

It is unknown whether the Bulldogs may enlist Thompson to help lure some further English players to Belmore.

Pangai Jr is under contract at Brisbane until the end of 2022 but close friends claim he is restless.

The Bulldogs have a private interest in Pangai Jr although no formal offer has been lodged. Certainly Canterbury would have the cash to make Pangai an extremely attractive offer.

Reports out of Sydney this week suggest Pangai Jr wants to leave Brisbane and contacted the Sydney Roosters in July asking whether there was interest in him.

Losing Pangai Jr after David Fifita quit for the Gold Coast would be a crippling blow to Brisbane and coach Anthony Seibold.

The Roosters weren’t overly keen although the Bulldogs would thrive on signing a strike forward like Pangai Jr. Souths have also looked at Pangai Jr but the club has already signed Gold Cast’s Jai Arrow.

Source : The Daily Telegraph Australia

Learning All The Songs

We're not gonna have a pack left at this rate.

That well known English Player Jonathon Davies.

I heard Gildart is as good as gone. Walmsley has a pretty long contract I think but is still only 30 and would be a huge loss for us and Super League. As would Gildart tbf.

The RFL has to do something to stop this flow of any player worth watching going down to Australia. We are becoming a glorified feeder league.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

And Hetherington thinks a reduction in the salary cap is going to keep top talent in Super League, clubs have to be able to offer competitive salaries to keep their best players, otherwise potentially thats another 2 of Englands best talents out of the domestic game, further exacerbating the diminishing quality in the game.

Warmsley said recently?

Aye yeh, Jan 2018 is really recent.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...empted-1122973

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    That well known English Player Jonathon Davies.

I heard Gildart is as good as gone. Walmsley has a pretty long contract I think but is still only 30 and would be a huge loss for us and Super League. As would Gildart tbf.

The RFL has to do something to stop this flow of any player worth watching going down to Australia. We are becoming a glorified feeder league.

Realistically what can they actually do ?

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Realistically what can they actually do ?
    To be honest I was thinking that as I typed it. I haven't a clue. Any suggestion I could think of would be negative and unworkable.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Can’t see Walmsley going with his young family and signed a long term contract.

That said I expect more players to go over there given the stronger financial stability in the NRL. The whole covid experience will definitely have got SL players thinking.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Can’t see Walmsley going with his young family and signed a long term contract.

That said I expect more players to go over there given the stronger financial stability in the NRL. The whole covid experience will definitely have got SL players thinking.
    Although it could also work in our favour if players want to be closer to home and family should we have another lock-down or a second wave.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Jeez that's Walmsley, Lee's and knowles being rumoured but then again it comes with the territory of being champions. They can have Amor, Peyroux and LMS

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

"What I can say is, if I don't do it now, I won't ever do it."

Given that he said this 2 years ago, before he decided to commit his future to saints you'd like to think that means he is going nowhere.

Talk about taking something completely out of context.

I really can't see Walmsley going over there now. Its the likes of Knowles, Bentley if he keeps improving etc that I would be worried about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    "What I can say is, if I don't do it now, I won't ever do it."

Given that he said this 2 years ago, before he decided to commit his future to saints you'd like to think that means he is going nowhere.

Talk about taking something completely out of context.

I really can't see Walmsley going over there now. Its the likes of Knowles, Bentley if he keeps improving etc that I would be worried about.

I thought I'd read that quote some time before!

With two young kids (isn't his missus from 'Tellins?) I don't think he's going to leave now.

I personally fear Knowles leaving the most. He's a phenomenally good player and exactly in the style of what suits the NRL. He already upped sticks at a young age to move here from Cumbria, so if he's got that sort of mentality he might not think twice about the actual moving to Aus. Hope he stays, though.

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Jeez that's Walmsley, Lee's and knowles being rumoured but then again it comes with the territory of being champions. They can have Amor, Peyroux and LMS

Makes you long for the days under KC were no one would touch our players with a 10 foot poll

These are the risks of having a good team. Even our fringe players like Costello, Ashworth and Bentley are in demand. The key is to just keep on finding good young players in the Academy and around the championship.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

All you can do is make them see out there contract and if they want to go then bye?? Nowt you can do about it. I'm sure if Eammon puts another 2yr contract under Alex's nose on top of what he has left he might sign?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We’ll be ok. Thompson will come back next season
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    How's he doing - not been watching any NRL lately

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I watched his first three games and he's done alright without really imposing himself - he hasn't been quite as aggressive or commanding as he was for the last couple of years with us, I thought. Despite that he was still getting a positive response from the pundits.

Ive been watching him closely. A few of the Aussie pundits are happy with him but im not sure Webbo. If you watch him he rarely makes the initial contact in defence. He lets others take the brunt then comes in 3rd man around the legs to finish the tackle. On quite a few occasions teams have had joy running at him then getting away offloads because he struggles to wrap up the ball carrier. He runs the ball hard but he doesn’t skittle defenders because theirs some big lads over there. A few times some big forwards have literally ran straight through him attempting to make the tackle.
    Personally, i don’t think he has the size to take his standard of game over to the NRL.

Its obviously just my hunch, but i reckon he’ll come home and choose to be a big fish in this pond. I can’t see him hitting the heights that Graham and Burgess did and the tag of worlds best prop doesn't help much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

That was my thoughts as he doesn't seem to be having a lot of impact in both attack and defence to the NRL requirements, I hope he does step up but I wouldn't have put him in the same quality level as Sam Burgess or James Graham when they left Superleague. I'm not sure but I think they have played him in some of the game at loose forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I watched his first three games and he's done alright without really imposing himself - he hasn't been quite as aggressive or commanding as he was for the last couple of years with us, I thought. Despite that he was still getting a positive response from the pundits.
    Ive been watching him closely. A few of the Aussie pundits are happy with him but im not sure Webbo. If you watch him he rarely makes the initial contact in defence. He lets others take the brunt then comes in 3rd man around the legs to finish the tackle. On quite a few occasions teams have had joy running at him then getting away offloads because he struggles to wrap up the ball carrier. He runs the ball hard but he doesn’t skittle defenders because theirs some big lads over there. A few times some big forwards have literally ran straight through him attempting to make the tackle.
    Personally, i don’t think he has the size to take his standard of game over to the NRL.

Its obviously just my hunch, but i reckon he’ll come home and choose to be a big fish in this pond. I can’t see him hitting the heights that Graham and Burgess did and the tag of worlds best prop doesn't help much.

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Very interesting. He was too outstanding here for there to be such a drop-off in performance; there were never those issues when at Saints (certainly not in the last 2/3 years). Perhaps he's easing himself in or being instructed to play a certain way. Whatever, I hope he becomes disaffected over there and comes back to Saints.

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Very interesting. He was too outstanding here for there to be such a drop-off in performance; there were never those issues when at Saints (certainly not in the last 2/3 years). Perhaps he's easing himself in or being instructed to play a certain way. Whatever, I hope he becomes disaffected over there and comes back to Saints.
    No prob pal. I could be being harsh. I suppose it is only his first handful of games. Its what my gut tells me though.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    That was my thoughts as he doesn't seem to be having a lot of impact in both attack and defence to the NRL requirements, I hope he does step up but I wouldn't have put him in the same quality level as Sam Burgess or James Graham when they left Superleague. I'm not sure but I think they have played him in some of the game at loose forward.
    Yeh he does play 13 for them mate. It probably doesn’t help that he’s gone to a team that’s struggling so much. When he was here he had big Walmsley to partner up with.

I think he would be better if they ran him 2 passes out from dummy half. He should be running at gaps on the edge of the ruck with his footwork and speed. The compressed defences are making easy meat of him when he runs first receiver.

Learning All The Songs

Yeh he does play 13 for them mate. It probably doesn’t help that he’s gone to a team that’s struggling so much. When he was here he had big Walmsley to partner up with.
    Fishy I don`t think you were harsh on the previous comments, he always struggled when running direct as he takes and has taken a lot of head trauma, he had concussion issues when a bit younger, taking a late season off with most of a preseason to recover. When he returned he was cited for "knees up" a few times then became our main prop when Alex was injured, he did very well but took a lot of punishment when it was direct go forward needed, he became less effective in those games, the quick play the ball when Alex came back and the inside pass against the open side he used to exploit brilliantly. Hope he finds a way of using his footwork and pace over there but as you say it is in an already beaten side most weeks, tough gig for him at the moment, with hindsight he maybe should have waited until the season ended here.
    Stiddy`s point about ability compared to the other two is valid, we shall see, but good luck to him for taking on the challenge.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 6th August 2020 at 17:34.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post

I’m surprised the NRL haven’t been in for Peyroux if he’s rated so highly.