Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New coach ?

Throughout their recent years of success Wigan have tended to struggle early in the season, too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Since when did playing in the WCC become such a detrimental thing for a club? I can’t say I’ve particularly noticed Leeds or Wigan make such claims, but I don’t know if that’s because I don’t follow those clubs.

We also had injuries but were those injuries that bad that we had to completely abandon a style of play and go from one extreme to the other? I don’t think so.

I wasn’t overly enamoured but Woolf’s start and can’t help but feel the rule changes have gone against what he was trying to do at the club. I will happily give him a chance as we have no idea how it would have panned out normally and I will judge him off the rules now.

That said, if his head gets turned or he and his family doesn’t settle, then I’m more than happy for him to return to Australia.
    Wigan lost 4 games after the WCC game last year and Leeds lost the game after in 2018 too. The British clubs always seem to struggle around the WCC games as we put so much effort into it and there's a hangover period afterwards.

Injuries also had a big impact on us early doors losing key players such as Coote and Percival in the backs and players like Makinson, Knowles and Roby having no pre season meant we were behind a little bit to other sides. Didn't we have 8 or 9 missing at Wire?

We were poor in the Huddersfield and Cas games no doubt about it, our lack of sharpness was evident to see and we looked like a very incohesive team. I've said before the lockdown came at a good time for us. It's allowed the players to have a rest and recover from injuries they had and they looked a completely different team on Sunday. We looked sharp, fit and played some great rugby.

It's still too early to judge whether Woolf will be a success here or not but his pedigree is good and having seen Tonga play under him there's no doubt they play some great rugby and defend well, so I'm confident with time and hopefully a full strength team we'll see the rewards this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Wigan lost 4 games after the WCC game last year and Leeds lost the game after in 2018 too. The British clubs always seem to struggle around the WCC games as we put so much effort into it and there's a hangover period afterwards.

Injuries also had a big impact on us early doors losing key players such as Coote and Percival in the backs and players like Makinson, Knowles and Roby having no pre season meant we were behind a little bit to other sides. Didn't we have 8 or 9 missing at Wire?

We were poor in the Huddersfield and Cas games no doubt about it, our lack of sharpness was evident to see and we looked like a very incohesive team. I've said before the lockdown came at a good time for us. It's allowed the players to have a rest and recover from injuries they had and they looked a completely different team on Sunday. We looked sharp, fit and played some great rugby.

It's still too early to judge whether Woolf will be a success here or not but his pedigree is good and having seen Tonga play under him there's no doubt they play some great rugby and defend well, so I'm confident with time and hopefully a full strength team we'll see the rewards this year.
    I suspect time will tell on Woolf - and that's what he still needs to make a proper impression and to be in a better place to judge. I don't believe he will have the widespread appeal of Holbrook - but given time I can see him getting decent results and success. We never know what's around the corner - if this year has taught us anything it's that... I'm willing to give the coach at least a full season before making any major assessment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I suspect time will tell on Woolf - and that's what he still needs to make a proper impression and to be in a better place to judge. I don't believe he will have the widespread appeal of Holbrook - but given time I can see him getting decent results and success. We never know what's around the corner - if this year has taught us anything it's that... I'm willing to give the coach at least a full season before making any major assessment.
    I've been critical of Woolf pre lockdown but watching the Catalan replay there have been a few significant differences in how we play not including how fit and mobile we are.

The major one is that we are finding our front 60+ percentage of the time and you can see the players twisting there bodies on hitting the ground, in defence we have 3 men in with two of them getting the player on his back 60% of the time.

Our improved support play is creating a lot of shape with options for the second phase at speed.

Theo was a lot more vocal than the games before lockdown and is taking pressure off Lomax because the opposition have to think more about both halves instead of just marking Lomax out of the game.

More of the same next week.....please.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Whichever way you spin it, we definitely look better for the 4 month lay off. I think it probably helps that McManus will have taken care of the lads. Im expecting some weird results over the next few weeks as a result of players of other clubs not being paid etc.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

If he does go, would like Watson to be given a chance.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Theo was a lot more vocal than the games before lockdown and is taking pressure off Lomax because the opposition have to think more about both halves instead of just marking Lomax out of the game.
    I thought Fages was very instrumental the other day - felt like he was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck and showed encouraging signs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I thought Fages was very instrumental the other day - felt like he was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck and showed encouraging signs.
    would like to see him take on the line more often

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    If he does go, would like Watson to be given a chance.
    Apparently he was in the final 2 last time.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I think the biggest benefit for us is the 6 again rule, before it seemed like we were focusing to much on the wrestle and the percentage side of the game, now because of the new rules, 'the grind' is out of the window, so Woolf had had to change his style. He may have changed it anyway with a full squad back but this new rule will certainly have played its part.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Apparently he was in the final 2 last time.
    I think it’s almost time for Wellens to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I think it’s almost time for Wellens to step up.
    Only if he's the best candidate in the field and he comes out on top in a rigorous recruitment process. We don't want a repeat of what happened with KC. FWIW, though, I suspect Wello will be a very good coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Only if he's the best candidate in the field and he comes out on top in a rigorous recruitment process. We don't want a repeat of what happened with KC. FWIW, though, I suspect Wello will be a very good coach.
    He has never had the ego that KC had. However I don't think a bit more experience under a different head coach will do him any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He has never had the ego that KC had. However I don't think a bit more experience under a different head coach will do him any harm.
    He’s now worked under Holbrook, Woolf and Bennet at international level so the experience is definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Good post mate, spot on.

I've mentioned before on here, a very good mate is on the coaching staff at Wigan. I know only too well the struggles that the WCC brings. He even said that we would struggle after it so it was no surprise. Woolf's key mandate this season was to win that and we threw everything at it and came up with a great performance, missing some key players. A centre pairing of Costello and Bentley was never going to win, up against the classy Manu.

What impressed me about us on Sunday was our conditioning. We looked really fit which is a great sign coming on the back of such a long lay off.