Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New coach ?

Learning All The Songs

Default New coach ?

The mole saying Cowboys players want Woolf as their coach for 2021.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-cr...3-f59fa79eef1d
    Last edited by zippy; 3rd August 2020 at 23:15.

Banned

He can go for me. He has publicaly stated than tonga comes before st helens and he would only take our job if he can continue working on tonga. Id rather a coach 100% committed to us and no other club

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    He can go for me. He has publicaly stated than tonga comes before st helens and he would only take our job if he can continue working on tonga. Id rather a coach 100% committed to us and no other club
    If the way we played against Cats is anything to go by , we must try to keep him .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    If the way we played against Cats is anything to go by , we must try to keep him .
    True hope he has learnt from his early season mistakes suppose that can be put down to not knowing the players well

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

He had an strange pre-season with a lot of his key players missing due to the internationals at the end of last season, and the WCC game too. We've come out post lockdown with what appears to be a belief and positive way of playing on the evidence of the Catalans match.
    But if he's even remotely being tempted by a move so early in his tenure as a first team coach, i'd be concerned. Could it just be lazy journalism or "no smoke without firre"?

It only says he has the support of some of the senior NQC players, as does one of the other 4 or 5 men in the running.

As long as we have an Australian coach, we have to accept that they will always be linked with a move back to the NRL. I’m sure the club factors this into the planning when we chose one.

Banned

I think if he does leave Marshall will take over. I think we need to buck the trend of Aussie coaches using SL to get a job back at home.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If he does go, I wouldn't go for another Aussie unless he agreed to a large buy out fee in his contract if he went to an NRL club during his contract period. Any odds on Longy returning?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think if he does leave Marshall will take over. I think we need to buck the trend of Aussie coaches using SL to get a job back at home.
    I think in time he could be a good coach

Noooobie

Better if Woolf wants to work in the NRL which I am sure he will do, Saints should just let him go.
    I agree with the previous comment all Australian Coaches who are any good working in this country will always be looked at by teams in Australia.
    If he leaves I would like to see Marshall given a chance with Wellens along with Derek Trainer given a role, they both now the club inside out.

Learning All The Songs

I'd have Justin Back loved and adored.

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    He can go for me. He has publicaly stated than tonga comes before st helens
    Do you have a link to where he has publicly stated that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If he does go, I wouldn't go for another Aussie unless he agreed to a large buy out fee in his contract if he went to an NRL club during his contract period. Any odds on Longy returning?
    I'm not sure on Long as head coach but he certainly knows what the club is about.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy h View Post
    I think in time he could be a good coach
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I'd have Justin Back loved and adored.
    I think you speak for us all there but it will be on to bigger things for him. I see him at the Roosters within 3 years and wouldn't be surprised if he went all the way to the top job.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Alot of people assuming Woolf is leaving and writing him off here.

I personally hope he stays and no reason to believe he won't unless we hear something more concrete. It's not been the best start to the season but injuries and the WCC affected early season performances. The Catalans game shows what the team can do and I believe Woolf will prove to be a very good coach for us given time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

I personally hope he stays and no reason to believe he won't unless we hear something more concrete. It's not been the best start to the season but injuries and the WCC affected early season performances. The Catalans game shows what the team can do and I believe Woolf will prove to be a very good coach for us given time.
    If he gets an offer from over there I'm almost certain he'll leave, that said there doesn't seem much substance to these reports.

Learning All The Songs

I’d rather us not lose a coach after a year but if he’s going to be gone after a couple of seasons anyway then maybe it’s better if he went at the end of the year and we can appoint Watson or Marshall long term. From what I can see though, it looks like the job is Todd Paytens. Turned down the NZ Warriors job for family reasons which has to be nonsense considering he went for the interview anyway and is seemingly the front runner for the Cowboys job.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm fully behind Woolf after Sunday, I admit as lock down started I did think that I wouldn't have been bothered if he'd left in the same way I wouldn't if he wanted NRL next season but can't fault that display on Sunday.
    Time will tell if he is/was right for us, in 35 years of going to Saints I've only ever wanted with a passion one coach gone but I'll leave that one in the past.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'm fully behind Woolf after Sunday, I admit as lock down started I did think that I wouldn't have been bothered if he'd left in the same way I wouldn't if he wanted NRL next season but can't fault that display on Sunday.
    Time will tell if he is/was right for us, in 35 years of going to Saints I've only ever wanted with a passion one coach gone but I'll leave that one in the past.
    This echos my thoughts on Woolf

The last thing the club needs is instability and rumours undermining things.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Correct but it’s hard to get away from when we’re successful.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I just hope the club knows more about what is going on than we do. With the rumours circling at the moment we've got four more forwards to replace for next season, which will be an almost impossible task if we're having to cut costs due to the financial impact of this season.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Since when did playing in the WCC become such a detrimental thing for a club? I can’t say I’ve particularly noticed Leeds or Wigan make such claims, but I don’t know if that’s because I don’t follow those clubs.

We also had injuries but were those injuries that bad that we had to completely abandon a style of play and go from one extreme to the other? I don’t think so.

I wasn’t overly enamoured but Woolf’s start and can’t help but feel the rule changes have gone against what he was trying to do at the club. I will happily give him a chance as we have no idea how it would have panned out normally and I will judge him off the rules now.

That said, if his head gets turned or he and his family doesn’t settle, then I’m more than happy for him to return to Australia.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Since when did playing in the WCC become such a detrimental thing for a club? I can’t say I’ve particularly noticed Leeds or Wigan make such claims, but I don’t know if that’s because I don’t follow those clubs.

We also had injuries but were those injuries that bad that we had to completely abandon a style of play and go from one extreme to the other? I don’t think so.

I wasn’t overly enamoured but Woolf’s start and can’t help but feel the rule changes have gone against what he was trying to do at the club. I will happily give him a chance as we have no idea how it would have panned out normally and I will judge him off the rules now.

That said, if his head gets turned or he and his family doesn’t settle, then I’m more than happy for him to return to Australia.
    The wcc usually produces poorer performances in the weeks following for the English team that have played in it,it's been noted for years now.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It actually happens more often than not (in recent years). It’s definitely happened to Leeds a few times.