Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints V Catalans

Got A Replica Shirt

None. He was in good form for Oz Saints.
    Wow! Am I out of sync here or not. I was asking about JG

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    They do they have been quite open about it as well, as well as being very vocal about Israel they are certainly have hard left border line regressive left wing views

If people want to take a knee that's fine , if they don't that is also fine I don't care but I know 100% I would not be taking the knee
    It’s not quite on their manifesto, though.

To my mind the organisation ‘Black Lives Matter’ isn’t really what’s important. It’s a much bigger movement/idea than the organisation, and is a very broad church encompassing, it seems, the whole spectrum of the left and some of the centre.

So yes, it has hard left elements which are not to everyone’s taste, but I don’t think that’s a reason to dismiss the overall ‘cause’.

If I'm a player right now and a black teammate feels strongly about it and wants to take the knee, then I would absolutely want to support him/them. This is what may happen, rather than it being a strategic decision in the vein with which we're debating here. When you are alongside friends, it becomes personal more than political.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    This something the players (of both teams) need to decide for themselves, if some players want to do it then their team mates should support them.
    This.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It’s not quite on their manifesto, though.

To my mind the organisation ‘Black Lives Matter’ isn’t really what’s important. It’s a much bigger movement/idea than the organisation, and is a very broad church encompassing, it seems, the whole spectrum of the left and some of the centre.

So yes, it has hard left elements which are not to everyone’s taste, but I don’t think that’s a reason to dismiss the overall ‘cause’.
    I didn't dismiss the whole cause , and just some of the elements to it and those elements are certainly not to my taste.

I 100% condemn racism and bigotry of any kind and I'm sure every one else on this board feels the same

As I said I have no issues with anyone taking the knee that's their choice and I fully support their right to do so if the players want to do it they can

But I wouldn't do it and that is my right.

As for the game, we need to start well and come out with a cohesive game plan, the coaches have had lots of time to work on set plays and hopefully well see some of them this week

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    In 2018 in the US 40% of murders were committed by black males, black males make up 6.5% of the population. 90% of black murders were committed by other blacks. Whites were 27 more times likely to be attacked by a black than vice versa. I think Lewis Hamilton is preaching to the wrong demographic.
    Oh dear, if you look at the reasons behind these figures, you will find that the causes of these statistics are not due to race making people violent. Other factors are involved, poverty, lack of social mobility etc.... which their race makes then more susceptible to.

How many serial killers in the country are white? Shipman, Suttclife, Nilsen, West, Allitt, Bradey etc, in fact you will be hard pressed to find a black serial killer in this country.

So what point are you trying to make?

Is it that in the USA black males have a higher propensity for violence, due to their race? if so then we had better have a similar crackdown on white people in this country since they are most likely to be serial killers.

Or

Is your point that the social economic factors in the USA lead to a disproportionate number of black males entering into crime, which results in the fact you stated. This does not excuse the violence perpetrated but is shows that the reasons are more complex than the colour of their skin.

Quoting facts like that without any context leads to ignorant conclusions.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Oh dear, if you look at the reasons behind these figures, you will find that the causes of these statistics are not due to race making people violent. Other factors are involved, poverty, lack of social mobility etc.... which their race makes then more susceptible to.

How many serial killers in the country are white? Shipman, Suttclife, Nilsen, West, Allitt, Bradey etc, in fact you will be hard pressed to find a black serial killer in this country.

So what point are you trying to make?

Is it that in the USA black males have a higher propensity for violence, due to their race? if so then we had better have a similar crackdown on white people in this country since they are most likely to be serial killers.

Or

Is your point that the social economic factors in the USA lead to a disproportionate number of black males entering into crime, which results in the fact you stated. This does not excuse the violence perpetrated but is shows that the reasons are more complex than the colour of their skin.

Quoting facts like that without any context leads to ignorant conclusions.
    The point I was making is that lives in the US irrespective of colour, seem to matter less to blacks. Yet white people are being told to kneel in opposition to white people killing blacks

Wow this thread is all over the place!

Anyway back to the game. This is a really difficult game for us. Even though Tomkins is suspended, they have loads of class in particular with Maloney. I know they don't travel well but they have been in training much longer and have had the luxury of easing up into game week whereas we have had to increase the intensity to prepare.

Bernard Gausch their owner is in the meat game so has profited out of lockdown considerably. This has meant that they have had no issues with players pay and therefore they have been training longer.

This is a real hard game and one we could have done without first game back.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Looking forward to this game.

Woolfe finally has a full strength squad to pick from.

Hopefully JG can inject a bit of aggression into the game and the back line clicks.

By no means an easy 2 points. But we should be looking to put down a marker on this game to put everyone else on notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Anyway back to the game. This is a really difficult game for us. Even though Tomkins is suspended, they have loads of class in particular with Maloney. I know they don't travel well but they have been in training much longer and have had the luxury of easing up into game week whereas we have had to increase the intensity to prepare.

Bernard Gausch their owner is in the meat game so has profited out of lockdown considerably. This has meant that they have had no issues with players pay and therefore they have been training longer.

They have a pretty good squad all round with a HB pairing probably as good as any in SL

Learning All The Songs

The point I was making is that lives in the US irrespective of colour, seem to matter less to blacks. Yet white people are being told to kneel in opposition to white people killing blacks
    And what do you think the reason behind this is? Is in due to their race? or is it due to the fact their race will make them more likely to live in poverty with no opportunities, as is the driver of all crimes of this type?

Can you see that your simple statements, pitched like this with no context, can be taken by ignorant people to re-enforce their racist beliefs.? I'm not saying we should suppress facts but these facts need context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    And what do you think the reason behind this is? Is in due to their race? or is it due to the fact their race will make them more likely to live in poverty with no opportunities, as is the driver of all crimes of this type?

Can you see that your simple statements, pitched like this with no context, can be taken by ignorant people to re-enforce their racist beliefs.? I'm not saying we should suppress facts but these facts need context.
    I am not arguing the reasons behind the figures. I am against people being coerced into kneeling the way Lewis Hamilton is trying to do. I do think the killing by the policeman in the US was wrong, but I think that BLM is an over the top reaction which is not addressing any of the problems.

Banned

I am not arguing the reasons behind the figures. I am against people being coerced into kneeling the way Lewis Hamilton is trying to do. I do think the killing by the policeman in the US was wrong, but I think that BLM is an over the top reaction which is not addressing any of the problems.
    You're never going to win with such a sensible argument.

Great post

Maybe Hamilton paying his tax in the uk to help fund a few youth clubs etc would be an actual help towards some of the social ills in our society

Rather than him posturing on the F1 circuit

Banned

Great post

Maybe Hamilton paying his tax in the uk to help fund a few youth clubs etc would be an actual help towards some of the social ills in our society

Rather than him posturing on the F1 circuit
    Is living in Monaco black privilege? You know, because he's black, and keeps ramming that down everyone's throat. Are poor black people offended by this? Are white people offended? Who the hell knows, it's all one big stupid argument.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Didn’t get to see much of Catalan this year before the lockdown but as you say they’ve got some quality players. From an on-field point of view you’d think that playing behind closed doors will be easier for them than playing in front of crowds away from home.

I think the transition side of the game is going to be important for us on Sunday, particularly defensively. I’m not 100% sure how they’ll line up but they’ve got some dangerous outside backs who carry the ball strong and then they’ve got three or four kicking options to finish their sets off on the back of it. If we can kick well and control their outside backs on those early plays, you’d think with the six again it’ll be tough for some of their big forwards to keep getting behind the ball and hopefully we’ll be able to tire them out and get some field position on the back of it.

Watching the NRL this last few months, kicking well and finishing sets of well is crucial IMO with the six again. If you kick/chase poorly and don’t control the first couple of plays, it’s hard to regain control of the set given the reduced wrestle in the game now so I’m hoping that we put some emphasis on that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Default Saints V Catalans

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Didn’t get to see much of Catalan this year before the lockdown but as you say they’ve got some quality players. From an on-field point of view you’d think that playing behind closed doors will be easier for them than playing in front of crowds away from home.

I think the transition side of the game is going to be important for us on Sunday, particularly defensively. I’m not 100% sure how they’ll line up but they’ve got some dangerous outside backs who carry the ball strong and then they’ve got three or four kicking options to finish their sets off on the back of it. If we can kick well and control their outside backs on those early plays, you’d think with the six again it’ll be tough for some of their big forwards to keep getting behind the ball and hopefully we’ll be able to tire them out and get some field position on the back of it.

Watching the NRL this last few months, kicking well and finishing sets of well is crucial IMO with the six again. If you kick/chase poorly and don’t control the first couple of plays, it’s hard to regain control of the set given the reduced wrestle in the game now so I’m hoping that we put some emphasis on that.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the six-again rule pans out over a few months. There’s been a lot of talk about how it will disadvantage big packs, but I’m not so sure. Yes, bigger forwards will have a harder time defending repeat sets, but bigger forwards tend to create more havoc at the ruck, and thus will be more likely to win repeat sets for their team.

RL is a contact sport , the more size and strength you have the more likely you are to win the contact and go forward.

If your going forward 9 times out of 10 you'll win the game especially as tez points out if you have a good kicking game to end the sets

The 6 again rule won't change that, if your pack isn't big or strong enough you won't win the game

In The South Stand

Think we’ll struggle on Sunday unless Woolf has realised that his tactics were awful and he acknowledges that his tactics aren’t conducive with the new six again rules that have come in.

Catalans were also training before we were, so could be ahead of us in terms of fitness.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Squad announced.

Only player missing is Ashworth, i’d take this as confirmation he’s gone.

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Squad announced.

Only player missing is Ashworth, i’d take this as confirmation he’s gone.
    And Paulo!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Is living in Monaco black privilege? You know, because he's black, and keeps ramming that down everyone's throat. Are poor black people offended by this? Are white people offended? Who the hell knows, it's all one big stupid argument.
    The problem with people from a black ethnic background who are successful is that they always have that option of walking away from racist tensions when the going starts to get really tough. Luckily the BLM movement has eased off slightly if they pushed the situation too far then I could see racism increasing over here and maybe we could have a diluted version of the KKK on UK soil.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post
    And Paulo!
    Good point.

Minor muscle injury apparently.

RL is a contact sport , the more size and strength you have the more likely you are to win the contact and go forward.

If your going forward 9 times out of 10 you'll win the game especially as tez points out if you have a good kicking game to end the sets

The 6 again rule won't change that, if your pack isn't big or strong enough you won't win the game
    I’m inclined to agree.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Think we’ll struggle on Sunday unless Woolf has realised that his tactics were awful and he acknowledges that his tactics aren’t conducive with the new six again rules that have come in.

Catalans were also training before we were, so could be ahead of us in terms of fitness.
    I concur